Home
Posted By: youngoutdoors Dog Fence - 01/09/21
Who makes the best "underground" dog fence? I need to keep my Llewelling off he porch before we are both in alot of trouble.

God Bless, Louis
Posted By: mikieb Re: Dog Fence - 01/10/21
I installed a Pet Safe system 3 times in 5 years... with the underground wire, twice for that system that 5 years.

I then bought SportDOG Brand SDF-100C In-Ground Fence System, installed a new under ground wire for that system when I installed it and it has worked for the last 18 years with out fail.

don't be afraid to spend money the first time... it will save you from spending money 4 times like I did.
Posted By: youngoutdoors Re: Dog Fence - 01/11/21
Thanks mikieb, That is exactly the kind of information that I was looking for.

God Bless, Louis
Posted By: rlott Re: Dog Fence - 01/14/21
My only recommendation is the wire size depending on the area being fenced. I have an Extreme Fence brand with 5 acres fenced (2500 feet of wire). The wire that came with it was 22 gauge or something like that which was too small. You would have to be right over it for the collar to go off at the far end of the property and the dogs figured out they could run full speed and not get hit. I replaced it with a spool of 12 gauge tthn from Home Depot and now the collar goes off 25 feet from the wire.
Posted By: mikieb Re: Dog Fence - 01/15/21
I have to agree with riott.... I upgraded the wire when I bought the Sport dog system... I can't remember what... but I did buy a heavier gage wire than came with the system. I also soldered and used heat shrink tube on all the connections on the wire loop that went underground.
© 24hourcampfire