Home
Posted By: Spotshooter Drahthaar's - 05/04/21

I was going to get a pointing lab - but after researching it this dog matches me, what I hunt, and how I hunt.

So now I'm searching for pups in the midwest...

Cool Dogs !!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Drahthaar's - 05/04/21
Heard they just lay around a lot.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Drahthaar's - 05/04/21
Sweet !

I found a breeder with a litter dropping soon and reserved my dog - I should pick him up in July !!

Posted By: ackleydave Re: Drahthaar's - 05/04/21
They are my dream breed. Unfortunately my wife would never allow a dog that size in the house. Good luck and keep us posted. Dave
Posted By: 30338 Re: Drahthaar's - 05/05/21
Females will usually only go to about 60 pounds or so. Not huge but not little either I guess.

Spot, you'll be amazed with what they do in the field and water. Great dogs in my experience.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Drahthaar's - 05/05/21

I asked for a male, but half thinking I should be asking for a female - but if I’m going to use the dog on Ducks I’m thinking a male is going to be better.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Drahthaar's - 05/05/21
Get rid of your cats.. If you don't, he will do it for you.
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Drahthaar's - 05/05/21
Morning, 30338 the one at the foot of the bed looks exactly like my Diggzz, exactly. Spotshooter you will not be disappointed, I've only had the one. If he had been my first dog, I would never of had another breed. They are super at everything, clowns, water retrieves, pointing birds, finding birds, house pets, family protection, like kids, hell it wouldn't surprise me if they phn fly. I'm to old for another one, so please keep us posted. Thanks Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
GWP, He's first generation out of a great Alberta stud dog, so has a Canadian link. They both are all you describe above. Gotta watch them around kids though.
He knows to never try that with me, but the minute my daughter comes home, he climbs aboard. If I sit on the floor that is their signal to pile on though and they do everytime.

On a side note, if you are new to drahts and want to dive in, I noticed that between CO and WY, we have 7 summer training days for live bird work, waterfowl work, rabbit drags, etc. Really a big support network if you are willing to work and make your dog the best it can be. Active groups all over various states.

Spot, love males myself and all I will ever own. That black one goes 82 pounds and is a water machine. The brown one is 67 at present and learning the ropes still. That said, have seen amazing work by females in water. Also seen females kill coyotes and badgers so get which ever turns your crank.
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Get rid of your cats.. If you don't, he will do it for you.

LOL...

John Hann is located a couple hours away and I do his “perfect start” program with my Brittany so I’ll use him to break the dog in.
Everything I read, and Here simply says Drahts are a lot like me both personality wise, and hunting wise...

I never looked at them before because they look like a hairy mess, but now that I know about show shine (waxy de tangle spray that really works well) I’m not worried about having to remove burs anymore.

A good friend has one in Colorado and he loves that dog, another friend here has one - it brought him back a fawn last year !! LOL ... Dang !
My Brittnay has a great nose, but he’s NOT versatile at all... he points rabbits ? And is worthless on waterfowl (he’s also 90% white).
He does weight 55lbs and crashes through things and has good drive but he isn’t quiet as driven as I am so the Drahthaar is definitely going to be a better fit.

In the end I’m a meat hunter - and so are Drahthaars.. smile

I grew up on labs, and Brittanys, tried a Vizsla and liked it but it was too much of a fair weather hunter, and it got spurred by a pheasant and quit wanting to retrieve.
My Britt is 85-90% of what I’d like him to do, I just need a bit more drive, and more aggressive commitment to end it when the bird is down and running.

The thoroughbred thing with labs (all commands & handling) is not what I want.
The thoroughbred pointer thing is great, but it’s not versatile enough and it’s kind of a one trick game.
So a dog with the ability to do both, plus duck that has that - GET ‘EM... drive I do... All good.

Spot
Yeah, I think on occasion a rooster may spur one of the boys. Those tend to get a quick canine mark and don't spur anymore lol. You're going to enjoy the ride I think. They are the ultimate meat dogs.
the litter is do May 18th so I should have some pictures of the litter in a couple of weeks...
Posted By: MT_DD_FAN Re: Drahthaar's - 05/06/21
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Sweet !
I found a breeder with a litter dropping soon and reserved my dog - I should pick him up in July !!

What's the name of the breeder's kennel and what's the state?
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Drahthaar's - 05/06/21
Dan Rowe in Kansas City .. he’s listed on the www.VDD-NGA.Org site

the ultrasound showed at least 7, depending on what she drops he may end up with a couple more that aren’t spoken for, right now 7 are taken..

Posted By: MT_DD_FAN Re: Drahthaar's - 05/06/21
the ultrasound showed at least 7, depending on what she drops he may end up with a couple more that aren’t spoken for, right now 7 are taken..

Thanks for the info and congrats on finding a DD pup - there is usually a waiting list! Dan Rowe must be a newer breeder since I've not heard of his name or the kennel. What litter is this - A, B, C, etc?

BTW, I fixed your link for VDD-GNA: Verein Deutsch Drahthaar - Group North American

I bet you'll be amazed at how versatile this breed is and how well they hunt. My 'German Girls' have been great hunting partners and even better companions. I'll be getting another pup in a few weeks and she'll be from the 'C' litter out of the v.d. Berge kennel here in MT. They don't have a website but can be found on Facebook if you want to see pics, test scores, etc.

Have fun with your new hunting buddy, and make lots of memories! Like this one from a 2020 sage grouse hunt with Greta - my latest German Girl:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pointer Re: Drahthaar's - 05/06/21
Good luck with the pup!! I could see myself going the DD route for my next dog, but that'll be awhile. Hank (pudelpointer) is only 5 and even if he passes early, I'll wait until the boys slow down or are out of school. As of right now, they both keep me busy enough to not have the training time I'd like.

I dig the "ugly" German breeds.
Posted By: ribka Re: Drahthaar's - 05/06/21
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN

Thanks for the info and congrats on finding a DD pup - there is usually a waiting list! Dan Rowe must be a newer breeder since I've not heard of his name or the kennel. What litter is this - A, B, C, etc?

BTW, I fixed your link for VDD-GNA: Verein Deutsch Drahthaar - Group North American

I bet you'll be amazed at how versatile this breed is and how well they hunt. My 'German Girls' have been great hunting partners and even better companions. I'll be getting another pup in a few weeks and she'll be from the 'C' litter out of the v.d. Berge kennel here in MT. They don't have a website but can be found on Facebook if you want to see pics, test scores, etc.

Have fun with your new hunting buddy, and make lots of memories! Like this one from a 2020 sage grouse hunt with Greta - my latest German Girl:
[Linked Image]

like. Ill be out in E Montana in Sept with my dogs
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Drahthaar's - 05/06/21
Get a curry comb. Burrs are no problem.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Drahthaar's - 05/06/21
Burs - I found out “show sheen” almost completely removed any bur problems I had with my Brittany.

Breeder - And yes - this is Dan’s second Litter (B), he’s got dogs from the larger kennels and really seems to know his stuff, the SIRE is from Rhonda Wiley’s group.

DD Dog’s - I’ve hunted Labs, Vizsla’s, Brittany’s, GSP’s, and never found a dog that hunted like I do - but from everything I read, Drahthaars are about a perfect match.

Timing - I’ll pick him up 2 days after my birthday... The only thing I really could ask to improve would be having the ability to take him hunting this year, vs. waiting until next year. Frankly, we’re moving homes, and the one I’m in has a great room for house breaking a dog, and it’s right next to the kitchen so for a pup that’s great as well. He’ll stay in the same room with my 55lb Brittany, that is very non-aggressive, but has a ton of energy so he might get run over a few time more than he likes, but other than that it should be good.
Posted By: Judman Re: Drahthaar's - 05/06/21
I’m on Roger Greene’s list for a female. He’s outta omak. Just had a litter a couple weeks ago, think it was 7 males and 1 female
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Drahthaar's - 05/07/21

For those guys who have or have had both a Female & Male Drahthaar -

What is your take on a Female ...
Posted By: Judman Re: Drahthaar's - 05/07/21
I prefer females in any breed. Just personal preference
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Drahthaar's - 05/08/21
I think they're ugly as hell and generally have no personality however some of the ones I have been around have also been incredible bird dogs.

Females generally mind better but it is all in the individual breeding and their individual personality, I guess. Having them go into heat during bird season is frustrating, but so is a male that knows a female in heat is around...
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Drahthaar's - 05/08/21
Like a lot of breeds, they are all over the board. Maybe less than some, but still.....I’ve seen big running leggy bastards that will cover way more ground than you can see and some slow working heel hounds as well.

Find a breeder that has dogs that hunt, and hunt how you like to.

I’ve always had female dogs. May get a male next, but who knows.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Drahthaar's - 05/08/21
Had great luck with males so far. Keep them intact till around 2 years of age, neuter them and move on. The Drahthaar breeding requirements are very rigid and expensive. I never entertained raising one to breed due to that. Guess some guys register them as AKC GWP and breed GWP dogs but that is generally looked down upon within Drahthaar circles.

With a 4 year old and a 1 year old, I am good for about 7 years or so. Got an idea or two about where my next one will come from.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Drahthaar's - 05/09/21
T Inman no personality? yea right.

In the hunting field they are all business but once at home they are intelligent and full of personality. Have had 5 over the past 30 yrs and have known many that were owned by friends. ALL had lots of personality. Geez.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Drahthaar's - 05/09/21
Originally Posted by Azshooter

In the hunting field they are all business but once at home they are intelligent and full of personality. Have had 5 over the past 30 yrs and have known many that were owned by friends. ALL had lots of personality. Geez.

Our experience differs, and that is fine but I suspect our definition of "personality" also differs.
Sounds like the breedings you and your friends have found are a match for what you want, and that is great.

All the drathaars I have been around were not a match for what I want.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Drahthaar's - 05/10/21
For me I need a little waterfowl work and a lot of upland work. Toss in a little fur work. Haven't wounded any deer but if I do, they'll get the call on that tracking job too. As mentioned, the ones I am around do great in the house, with family and strangers, and excel in the field. If you are a cat person, you may want to explore some other breeds.
The ones I've been around, well say 55 out of 60 or so, would have served my needs very well. Very consistent breed and more so when trained early and hunted often.

That said, there are a crap ton of alternative breeds so by all means if after checking out drahts and they aren't for you, grab something else. But I like ugly dogs.
Posted By: Mbogo2106 Re: Drahthaar's - 05/10/21
Ok so here goes for a first post,

I echo everything 30338 has to say about the best dogs in the field. But I’m admittedly biased. I have the full brother to his younger dog but you’d never know it by looking at them. If you don’t like the “wookie” look, have no fear they come with what’s called a “tight” coat as well. Similar to a GSP but much more dense. When I first got my Draht I was a little worried about his toughness in cold weather and cold water hunting waterfowl. That was soon put to rest when I couldn’t keep him out of the river at minus ten.

I have had numerous dogs throughout the years ranging from shorthairs, springers, labs and setters but I don’t think I’ll ever have another breed from here on out. My dog has been a hoot to be around and he has as much personality as anything else I’ve had. He is a really hard worker in the field and hangs out calm as can be at home. He’s never hinted at any kind of aggression toward another human. He loves my girls the best as they spoil him I think. He’s hunted pretty much everything Idaho can throw at a dog and he’s really taken a liking to fetching rock chucks. If you want a dog that can do it all I think you’re on the right track. I would also encourage going through the testing process as I feel it enhances the breed as a whole. We just finished up the VJP test a few weeks ago and are currently trying to get ready for the Armbruster.

One last thought, I think they’re the best looking dog around especially compared to a Brittany 😜. If I can figure out the picture thing I’ll post some up.
Posted By: pointer Re: Drahthaar's - 05/10/21
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I think they're ugly as hell and generally have no personality however some of the ones I have been around have also been incredible bird dogs.

Females generally mind better but it is all in the individual breeding and their individual personality, I guess. Having them go into heat during bird season is frustrating, but so is a male that knows a female in heat is around...
I'd bet I know (at least 2) the dogs you are talking about! laugh
Posted By: BobMt Re: Drahthaar's - 05/10/21

Our experience differs, and that is fine but I suspect our definition of "personality" also differs.
Sounds like the breedings you and your friends have found are a match for what you want, and that is great.

T....what are you looking for in a dog....always like a different view......bob.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Drahthaar's - 05/10/21
Originally Posted by pointer

I'd bet I know (at least 2) the dogs you are talking about! laugh

2 (maybe 3) out of about 10 Drahthaars.
Most of my South Idaho mafia uses English or German Short Hairs which I like the looks of better, have less hair to get less burrs, shed water better and even though they do shed, they don't shed that long vacuum clogging hair. They're on par with drathaar hunting ability, IME. It is all in the breeding and training, I believe.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Drahthaar's - 05/10/21
Originally Posted by BobMt

T....what are you looking for in a dog....always like a different view......bob.

See above.
As far as personality I am sure there are draths out there that I would like, I just haven't been around one yet. They haven't been real playful or "social", which I guess is good and bad. They've been too independent and hard headed, though all breeds can be that way.
Posted By: abbydog Re: Drahthaar's - 05/11/21
Beware, they are born to kill, the Seal team 6 of dogs. Some interesting stories on Drahtaar addiction and other sites where Drahts brought home dead coyotes, fox etc.
We have a PUDELPOINTER and she likes to hunt everything. Gets along very well with other dogs. The best thing I ever did was have her trained at Quinebaug kennels and a weekend session at QK with Rick Smith.
I started looking at Drahts and was talked out of them, happy with the PP, she’s high strung enough. LOL
German engineering at it’s best.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Drahthaar's - 05/11/21
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
Ok so here goes for a first post,

I echo everything 30338 has to say about the best dogs in the field. But I’m admittedly biased. I have the full brother to his younger dog but you’d never know it by looking at them. If you don’t like the “wookie” look, have no fear they come with what’s called a “tight” coat as well. Similar to a GSP but much more dense. When I first got my Draht I was a little worried about his toughness in cold weather and cold water hunting waterfowl. That was soon put to rest when I couldn’t keep him out of the river at minus ten.

I have had numerous dogs throughout the years ranging from shorthairs, springers, labs and setters but I don’t think I’ll ever have another breed from here on out. My dog has been a hoot to be around and he has as much personality as anything else I’ve had. He is a really hard worker in the field and hangs out calm as can be at home. He’s never hinted at any kind of aggression toward another human. He loves my girls the best as they spoil him I think. He’s hunted pretty much everything Idaho can throw at a dog and he’s really taken a liking to fetching rock chucks. If you want a dog that can do it all I think you’re on the right track. I would also encourage going through the testing process as I feel it enhances the breed as a whole. We just finished up the VJP test a few weeks ago and are currently trying to get ready for the Armbruster.

One last thought, I think they’re the best looking dog around especially compared to a Brittany 😜. If I can figure out the picture thing I’ll post some up.

The rest of this litter looks like this guy, not my hairy beast lol. Great coats for a variety of upland and waterfowl. Here is Mbogo2106's pup.
And this is a pic of yet another full brother from VJP test day. Very tight coat, and some decent head fuzz too.
Posted By: Mbogo2106 Re: Drahthaar's - 05/13/21
Kurt, thanks for posting those pictures. Just for the record though, Hank is the bottom picture. Aggie (Jina) is the top picture. It’s ok though as she’s a female out of that litter too. It was kind of funny, my daughter swore it was Hank when she saw the pictures but a dog dad knows better. But I will admit that some of the other pictures of her look a lot like him. Probably more so than the other males

Are you going to run Harvey in the Armbruster? We’ve been working hard on force fetch hopefully to be ready for September.
© 24hourcampfire