Home
Posted By: Dusty246 Labrador training book - 07/25/21
Looking for Richard Wolters, "Game Dog." My 8 week old pup from New Hampshire is ready and willing to learn. thx.
Posted By: kingston Re: Labrador training book - 07/25/21
It appears to be available everywhere online for around $20.
Posted By: Dusty246 Re: Labrador training book - 07/25/21
On it thx.
Richard developed some great training fundamentals. We just reviewed the Water Dog video, made several years ago by trainer, Charley Jurney. Charley is a very respected local gun dog trainer that uses many of the Wolters techniques. We get our Labrador pup next week, so we need to brush up our training a bit.
Posted By: easttex Re: Labrador training book - 07/27/21
I have almost everything ever written about training retrievers. If you need more reading material give me a shout as I no longer train retrievers.
Posted By: svenelvis Re: Labrador training book - 07/27/21
I’d still really recommend Jackie Merten’s “Sound Beginnings” for a pup. Wolters book was very popular back in the day but there’s better and more detailed programs available today. Retrievertraining.net is a forum like this that focuses specifically on this subject.
I have trained 3 field dogs using the Wolters methods, a chessie and two labs. His methods work. Buy the book(s) start immediately do not wait! I would send you mine, but lent it out years ago and never got it back. Again, start training now don't wait.
I highly recommend getting Buck's handbook

http://swiftriverretrievers.com
Originally Posted by prarie_creek_station
I have trained 3 field dogs using the Wolters methods, a chessie and two labs. His methods work. Buy the book(s) start immediately do not wait! I would send you mine, but lent it out years ago and never got it back. Again, start training now don't wait.

We start tomorrow, as we get our pup in the morning. My boy won’t sleep a wink tonight! smile
Posted By: battue Re: Labrador training book - 08/04/21
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by prarie_creek_station

We start tomorrow, as we get our pup in the morning. My boy won’t sleep a wink tonight! smile

Need pics....I'm about as anxious as the the Kids....
Posted By: kingston Re: Labrador training book - 08/04/21
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I know Buck. Our Dot is out of a dame from the Swift River line mated with a sire out of the Addyville line. Buck trained both.
Originally Posted by Dusty246
Looking for Richard Wolters, "Game Dog." My 8 week old pup from New Hampshire is ready and willing to learn. thx.

Richard Wolters never ......never trained a retriever, but a great writer of other trainers work, primarily Jack Jagoda. I was there so speak from actual experience with both of them.

Google....Total Retriever Training by Mike Lardy. the most successful trainer in north America. I learned from Mike and trained with Mike in Wisconsin.
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I know Buck. Our Dot is out of a dame from the Swift River line mated with a sire out of the Addyville line. Buck trained both.

Buck is a hell of a great guy and amazing with Retrievers. Like I said I highly recommend the OP getting his handbook.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Labrador training book - 08/04/21
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by Dusty246

Richard Wolters never ......never trained a retriever, but a great writer of other trainers work, primarily Jack Jagoda. I was there so speak from actual experience with both of them.

Google....Total Retriever Training by Mike Lardy. the most successful trainer in north America. I learned from Mike and trained with Mike in Wisconsin.

would be light years ahead . Most every modern retriever trainer is Lardy based...

To the OP I have his book game dog
If you want it pay for shipping it’s yours
Posted By: Dusty246 Re: Labrador training book - 08/07/21
Thx JP and all that took interest in this old man's quest to hunt with a Lab. I will look into everything that has been presented here. It is my lifes work to now train this knucklehead. Training is going well, she has me right where she wants me. For now.
https://i.imgur.com/OQI2U3h.jpg

Here is our new pup, Rocky. Little fella has taken over the house. Here he is on a sand bar in the creek. We get him out in the fields, woods, and in the creek about every day. Lots of adventures!!!! My kids are head over heels in love with him. My wife and I love him too!!! smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here he is sleeping on my boy's feet. Tired after a big day being a Lab puppy.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Here he is sleeping on my boy's feet. Tired after a big day being a Lab puppy.

Choc-ladors are always adorable...

Picture without the link.
Posted By: battue Re: Labrador training book - 08/08/21
Give the "Rock" a belly rub for me....Looks like a little brown jewel...Have fun smile
Originally Posted by battue
Give the "Rock" a belly rub for me....Looks like a little brown jewel...Have fun smile

I sure will. Do the same for Merlot. I hope he turns out to be at least half the dog Merlot is. He is currently sleeping off a big afternoon in the creek.
Posted By: battue Re: Labrador training book - 08/09/21
Just don’t let Merlot take him into an off limits cornfield full of Pheasants. 😉
Posted By: Dusty246 Re: Labrador training book - 08/09/21
Enjoying the book JP looks like I didn't screw up yet training Carla she retrieves, comes, and sits at 9 weeks. thx. Beer money on the way.
Originally Posted by battue
Just don’t let Merlot take him into an off limits cornfield full of Pheasants. 😉

What happens in South Dakota, stays in South Dakota!!! laugh
Posted By: battue Re: Labrador training book - 08/10/21
You should have been there when he wandered into a milo patch.....The Brits pay good money for that kind of driven shooting....

Don't ever pass the opportunity to hunt a two track bordered by milo.... wink

© 24hourcampfire