Home
Posted By: kenacp My Springer got bit. - 05/28/23
Had both my Springers with me at my country property today. We were picking some blueberries, and my 4yr old male (65lbs) got bit by a copperhead. Hit him in the face. Probably less than 5 feet from me. Got him to the vet(about 45 minutes time). Vet gave him a bunch of shots and pills to take. He's pretty swollen and sleeping now. So we just wait and see.
I am beside myself right now. Just didn't see him before he struck. That big nasty thing ate two loads of my 38 snake shot. I'm pretty sick right now.
Posted By: Reloader326 Re: My Springer got bit. - 05/28/23
That’s terrible, hope everything is ok
Posted By: JeffyD Re: My Springer got bit. - 05/28/23
My sincere wishes that your dog has a full recovery.
Please keep us posted.
Posted By: kenacp Re: My Springer got bit. - 05/28/23
Update; Last night my dogs face and neck was very swollen. He was breathing ok, but was very uncomfortable. Pacing around, laying down, just couldn't settle down. Finally wore himself out and slept. Today the swelling went down a good bit. He is even bringing me his tennis ball a couple of times. It's looking good for now. Thanks for the well wishers!
Posted By: Nick1899 Re: My Springer got bit. - 05/28/23
Thanks for the update, we are all praying for your pal. Sounds good so far.

Nick
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: My Springer got bit. - 05/28/23
My Gordon got hit twice by the same rattler. The vet said they usually survive it as long as they aren't hit where it swells the nasal passages shut. He gave her an antibiotic (snakes have a very dirty mouth) and some painkillers. Took her home. 2 days and she was up and running again. They don't give antivenom shots to dogs ,to spendy to have around for its short shelf life. She got hit in the shoulder and on the jowl flap. when in snake country hunting adamantly inform all that accompany that if they shoot at snakes on the hunt fine but they God damned well better obliterate the snakes head. Btdt and he don't hunt behind my dogs no more. Mb
Posted By: Reloader326 Re: My Springer got bit. - 05/29/23
Glad he’s doing well, been thinking about the poor guy
Posted By: MadMooner Re: My Springer got bit. - 05/29/23
Killed a copperhead Wednesday. Fat sucker. 1 1/2 - 2’. Damn near stepped on it.

Sorry about the pooch. Dogs usually do pretty well with copperhead bites. Hope he’ll be healed up and gtg shortly.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: My Springer got bit. - 05/29/23
Great news. I'm happy for you both.
Great news...
Posted By: battue Re: My Springer got bit. - 05/29/23
The shelf life of anti venom stored properly is 2-5 years depending on the manufacturer. A good veterinary practice will have little trouble writing off the cost of any that were unused.

It is a cost of doing business, what we don't use in our hospital pharmacy is replaced. A good Vet practice in snake country would do the same.

Last visit for two Dogs, shots and examination was around $500. Six Dogs buys a vial of antivenin.
Posted By: RickBin Re: My Springer got bit. - 05/29/23
Just saw this. Been there with a mojave green. Glad to hear your pooch is doing better.

rb
Posted By: OCSarge Re: My Springer got bit. - 05/29/23
Last June my Brittany, Gunner, got tagged in the chest by a rattler. 2 nights in the hospital and close to $5000.00 later he made a full recovery. So, I feel for you and the pooch.

Dave
Posted By: kenacp Re: My Springer got bit. - 05/31/23
Update. My Springer continues to get back to normal. Swelling is gone, punctures show no infection, and keeps bringing me his tennis ball to play. Trying to keep him calm somewhat, and rest.
I'm Happy, Happy, Happy! Thanks for the well wishes and encouragement from the "Fire".
Kenny
Posted By: rickt300 Re: My Springer got bit. - 05/31/23
Outstanding! The last dog I had that was bitten by a snake was on Okinawa. They called it a Habu? Big snake that one was maybe 7 feet long. Bit Jenny on the side just behind the shoulder. Took her to the vet and he gave us a bottle of antibiotics and said to force her to eat some raw eggs. She volunteered to eat the raw eggs but over the next week where she was bitten grew into a hole which we cared for and she slept a lot. Then she was up and at em, the hair never grew back where she was bitten but she lived until she was 13.
© 24hourcampfire