Home
So this hunter stops by last night after dark. He had shot at a yearling wild boar and only wounded it.

He found just a speck of blood.

We agreed to meet in the morning - on the scene, my hound piucked up the trail into the reed and after only 25 meters we came across the wounded boar, which bolted.

I unleashed the dog that followed the pig and bayed it, still in the reed.

Homing in on the sound (visibility below 1 meter in the reeds) I closed the gap until I could see the boar 1 m in front of me.

Then the astonishing happend - a veteran of many hundred follow ups in his 8 years of service, my dog realized, that I could not shoot and went away out of the line of fire - w/o command from me.

I am just now training a replacement. Today Max showed me that the little guy has lots to learn - and whatmore the many things to figure out, that can not be taught...

I am gratefull and hope for many more years with Max.

[Linked Image]

Thaught I'd share. Thx.
That is neat. Proof positive that dog is more than man's best friend. Thank you for sharing.
cmg - great story. They certainly are smart & learn things sometimes with out you even noticing till one day a light bulb comes on & you realize, how did they figure that out.

It amazes me that some dogs learns to long cast & work back into the wind toward you when the wind is at your back. Mine is 18 months old & is already doing it. This also allows them to pin the birds between you & them.

Very cool!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome!!! I wish you many more years with him!
What breed of dog? What is your opinion of the Drahtaar? As a all around dog? Good adn bad points of the breed? Thanks
That is great the dog is thinking the best to do. He looks like he was having fun. You did get the boar didn't you? Thanks
way cool. miles
Great allround breed. Eye - oriented, though.
neat story and thanks for sharing!
© 24hourcampfire