Home
Posted By: splattermatic i pick my lab up tonight - 05/03/12
Gotta work all day, drive for 3 hours to albq., and pick my new lab up tonight at 10:30 pm.
Gonna be a loong day. Should be home by this time tomm.
Pics.of my new boy coming.
Posted By: ingwe Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/03/12
Sweet. I'm a month and a half away from my next one, but waiting anxiously. Just spent $84 on stuff for him to chew up. grin
Posted By: MadMooner Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/03/12
Nice! Congrats Splatt.

Hope your trip goes smooth.
Thanks. Me too. Got lots of goodies already. Man, this stuff gets expensive quick !
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/03/12
I bet you are EXCITED! Did you sleep much last night?
Yeah, actually I did. I'm tired from moving rigs, and got up at 3:30 am.
But not a good sleep !
We are going to spend the night down there, after we puck trap up. Just not worth driving that much after a 14 hour day. Almost done moving this rig, then 1.5 hour drive back to the yard, then 3 hours to albq.
Posted By: sactoller Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/03/12
Originally Posted by ingwe
Sweet. I'm a month and a half away from my next one, but waiting anxiously. Just spent $84 on stuff for him to chew up. grin

You bought Savage rifles for him to chew on?

grin
Posted By: MadMooner Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/03/12
Originally Posted by sactoller

grin

A dog eats a Savage, it'll [bleep] a 270...........
Posted By: sactoller Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/03/12
I thought a .270 was scat!

whistle
We're here to pick him up !
We got him !
Gave the poor guy some food and water, and he already threw up in the back seat of my pick up ! Oh boy ....
Now to the hotel for a nights sleep, some shopping tomm. and a 3 hour drive home.
Nice dog, very handsome.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/04/12
congrats!
Posted By: fyshbum Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/04/12
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by sactoller

grin

A dog eats a Savage, it'll [bleep] a 270...........

That might be the first time a .270 actually hits something!!
Posted By: fyshbum Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/04/12
Originally Posted by splattermatic
We got him !
Gave the poor guy some food and water, and he already threw up in the back seat of my pick up ! Oh boy ....
Now to the hotel for a nights sleep, some shopping tomm. and a 3 hour drive home.
Nice dog, very handsome.

Sounds like he was just as excited as you are. Congratulations, those are great days, no matter how long they turn out!
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/04/12
Looking forward to the NPP. (New Pup Pics)
We are home. Doing the meet and greet with my little dogs.
Trap is a wonderful dog. We both feel he was money well spent.
Pics soon.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/05/12
Congrats, Splatt.

I'm on my own puppy adventure.

Sitting in a hotel bar in the Tri-City WA. area. It's about half way between home and the town in Idaho my pup is at. I'll pick her up tommorow and head back.
OK, so where's the pix of this fellow?
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
OK, so where's the pix of this fellow?

PIX,PIX, WE NEED PIX. smile

NB
Yeah, what happened to splattermatic? Perhaps his new dog chewed his internet cable in two. grin
Nah, between 80 plus hour weeks working, and getting to know my dog, I check in at times. He's a wonderful dog. Smart, listens to a t, and won't leave my side.
Lee of wind river labs sold me an awesome started dog. Can't say enough good things about her.
I'll email myself some pics so I can post some.
Good for you ...nothing like a lab!
okay, before we go to the pond tonight for our daily excersize.

a pic from lee of trap at heel.
[Linked Image]
one of him retrieving a dead duck.
[Linked Image]
trap with me now, retrieving at the local pond.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
trap loving me up while drying him off.
[Linked Image]
and him looking at me over the arm of the recliner.
[Linked Image]

he's a wonderful happy dog. glad i bought a started lab, and one that lee said would fit us, after talking to her, and answer questions, about us.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/18/12
Great looking dog!! How much bigger is he expected to get?
I dunno know ?
He's about 18 months old now.
You asked. Whatta ya think ?
Handsome fellow isn't he !
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/18/12
can't imagine he will get any bigger at this point. What is he about 65 lbs? He sure is a good looking dog... always been fond of yellow labs. I am sure that you have very many great years of memory making ahead of you... jealous here.
Nice looking fellow. He looks attentive to what's going on in several of those pix. He'll be your buddy forever. Look after him and he'll look after you.
Posted By: ingwe Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/19/12
I am of course biased...

But there is nothing better than a dog....
Amen, brother.
Posted By: rick35 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/20/12
anybody read "the art of racing in the rain"? if you like dogs, its a good, quick read.
Posted By: eh76 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/20/12
splattermatic how great!
Trap is doing great adjusting to his new home. Haven't started formal training too much yet. Just throwing bumpers, he does tripled with ease. Throwing bumpers in the sage, he marks very well.

We are going camping for the weekend, so some bonding, and swimming are in store.
More pics to come.
Works killing me.
Wife got a live very large domestic duck on Saturday. Soon as i got off work, we went out with trap and the duck.
Wow, does trap like ducks!
Got a pic of him with it still alive in his mouth.
Wife was a ways away, and would toss it after blowing on a duck call.
I fired a shotgun over trap, he marks great, and would send him.
No gunshy!

I do believe my new buddy is gonna work out just fine.
Posted By: ingwe Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 06/04/12
cool
Lets see if i can post a pic from my phone.
This is trap with a live domestic duck last sat.. He loves ducks, and never flinched shooting over him.

[Linked Image]
It worked!
Traps favorite spot. He's well adjusted to riding in the back seat.
[Linked Image]
Yep, he's a happy dog and loves you already.

I'm picking up a new yellow Lab pup myself in 2 weeks.
Good deal!
They are wonderful dogs.
Congrats.
Hows his shedding? My yellow lab sheds like you would not belive! Im talking yellow hair EVERYWHERE!
Yep. And loving it. Most everyone asks what kind of dog i have!
I love my dog, and it goes with ownership. Glad i work in the oil field. I get more on me because i allow him to love on me, the wife not so much. Hardwood floors are great for sweeping up.
Really tho, its not so bad. Could be worse, we could own a chow or husky or such!
Posted By: ingwe Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 06/07/12
The yellow lab I had in for training last year shed like a Maux Faux! Couldn't believe it! but a nicer dog I never worked with...

Next up is a GSD...talk about shedding...I'm going shopping for a leaf blower.... grin
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 06/07/12
I've owned three yellows & three blacks. The yellows seem to shed more but might be it shows up better. Springtime's the worst.
Trap's maiden voyage. He loved it.
[Linked Image]
Lounging at the lake.
Yep, i Love my dog.
[Linked Image]
I had Jake for 15 years, he was a yellow, he shed plenty (not quite leaf blower material though, I love that Ingwe). We averaged 200 wild birds a year together for most of that time.

He was a heck of a hound and I miss him!

Looks like you've a good bud there Splat!

Dober
Trap's maiden voyage. He loved it.
[Linked Image] \
Yep, i Love my dog.
[Linked Image]

And well you should. He is a definite winner, IMO! cool cool
Tossed this fish back, and it waited to recover too long. Trap was havin it.
[Linked Image]
Took TRAP to the po today to get an mo for goose dekes, shopping at walmart, and to the bank. Here he is in the lobby of the bank.
He is so well behaved, and doesn't leave my side, none said anything about a dog in these places.
At walmart, an employee said he was better mannered, than most kids that come in there. I asked if there was a problem with him being there with me, and the now present manager, said "none" .
[Linked Image]
I got me an awesome buddy.

Posted By: ingwe Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 06/16/12
That is a very well socialized dog Splatt....hard to come by...you should be proud of him.
He gets a bit skittish around people. That's why i take him everywhere. Im hoping. exposure to "life", will get him used to sights and sounds he has not been exposed to before. He led a sheltered life at the breeding/training facility.
The past 3 nights, we've not put him up in his crate. We put a gate up so he stays here in the livingroom. Not a thing wrong. No potty, no chewing, and is so happy to see me when i get up.
He is starting to try to be a lap dog, like our little ones now.... No,no.. He's getting too big for that.
They're never to big for the human lap, just ask them. laugh grin
Just an update.
Trap does quad retrieves on land and water with ease now. Maybe more, but stop at 4 for now. His hand signals are going great for blind retrieves, and is an absolute joy of a dog. He is totally bonded to me. Heck, i can't even go to the bathroom with out him accompaning me. He thinks there's a secret exit or something.
Had a long day at work, and we took a nap together.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sactoller Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 07/12/12
Just an update.
Trap does quad retrieves on land and water with ease now. Maybe more, but stop at 4 for now. His hand signals are going great for blind retrieves, and is an absolute joy of a dog. He is totally bonded to me. Heck, i can't even go to the bathroom with out him accompaning me. He thinks there's a secret exit or something.
Had a long day at work, and we took a nap together.

[Linked Image]

Love that pic!

Good job on the training!
Posted By: Hotload Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 07/14/12
We got him !
Nice dog, very handsome.

laugh My black lab did the same thing, 10 years ago. His first ride home, and about 1 mile from home, he threw up.
However... labs are great dogs !!!
Trap went rat shooting yesterday. He did great. My only problem was he would lay down next to me when i went prone to shoot. I had to get up and make him stay a bit behind me.

[Linked Image]
Trap got his first ribbon today in novice obedience. We scored an 87. I got dinged alot for my first time out for handling errors. We didn't place, but still tickled.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 07/22/12
Its always the handlers fault..... grin

Good on you, looks like you are having fun with your new Bud...
Took trap down where we hunt this morning for some training and to get used to the place.
He did great!
Set down near a log, blew on a duck call, fired a shotgun, and threw a dokken with a duck wing taped to it. That didn't last long as the duct taped came loose.

He is such an awesome dog!

[Linked Image]
Had to take a pic of him muddy.
[Linked Image]
Had to take a pic of Mr. mellow on the way home.
I love my dog!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tack Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 07/30/12
In stead of "mush" You can just say "Pull"

You will never love another more.
Yeah, i love him dearly. Best dog I've ever owned.
Trap making a big splash yesterday while training.
I have moved from the wide open, grass park, to where we hunt with soft bottoms, mud, and lots of thick reeds and cattails.
He is doing blinds great. Just need to start getting more distance. He is also doing great at heading off a dummy in the flowing river current.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sactoller Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 08/09/12
Very cool!

If I was to have a lab, it would be a yellar one!

Looks like he is coming along great, even with the handicap of the handler! wink
I'm just glad he knows more than me, and can teach me what to do!
Lots of video's and books are helping alot.
Never having a real hunting dog or one that isn't just a pet, his intelligence is overwhelming. He is really smart.
The end of October is going to be his first hunt test. Guess we will see if he gets his first 2 passes or if handling errors mess him up.
Posted By: sactoller Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 08/09/12
It is amazing how much they will teach us! With Maggie, I played off of her cues and trained at her pace and used methods that complemented her personality.

This new girl will be done the same way.
Posted By: ingwe Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 08/09/12
3 more days till the new one? grin

My new GSD is a bit different than what I'm used to and I adopted your plan of reading him and progressing at his pace...its working!

[Linked Image]
Guess we are all on the same page.
Trap tells me what he understands and what pressure i can put on him.
When he gets confused or doesn't understand i can sure read him. Then we try a different approach.
Gonna take trap down to the river today. There's a pond down there that we are going to train in today. Hope i can get some pics. Taking calls, shotgun, and a frozen duck.
Nose work today!
Posted By: jpb Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 08/12/12

[Linked Image]

Man, both you and that dog have to learn to relax! grin

John
Good guard dog too... He sleeps with one eye open.
Wife took the pic. I was out.
Didn't get out yesterday. Work got in the way......
Long rig move today, maybe late today?
I wanna work his nose on blind retrieves.
Posted By: rost495 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 08/14/12
Great dog! Cole is like our first born child, since we have no children especially.

Only thing I didn't break him in on properly was a vac cleaner. He hates em. But he does fine with anything else.

11.5 great years so far! 95 pound child, sleeps in bed with us. Laying on teh couch right now as I am about to leave for fire drill.

I won't be happy when he is gone, but I'll get another. Won't be without now if I have any say.

And yep, I've had him on my shoulders going out of the vet clinic, on top of me on the couch, in bed etc....
Splat, Trap is a great looking dog! He's got those classic Labrador looks and mannerisms.

You guys are gonna' be hell on wheels when duck season opens. wink

The bad part is that Labs know exactly when you've screwed up. When I missed a bird (very common occurrence blush) My Jenny would look over with that "Is that all you got"? look on her face and I usually felt the need to apologize to her for blowing the shot.

Sure do miss her.
Thank you.
Day off, so we went to the hunting spot and did some training.
Swimming after a dokken. Notice the mud ring? He loves to do dynamic entries. I just make sure there are no sticks or branches he can land on. This was about a 10 foot bank. He is fearless.

[Linked Image]
Its real muddy in the eddy area. He has the drive to keep going.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jpb Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 08/22/12
[Linked Image]

Cool -- part yellow lab, part black lab! wink

John
Laughing.
Yep a 2 tone.
He come like that from the factory, or is that custom?
All cleaned up.
[Linked Image]
Had trap out late last evening on one of the places i hunt.
We were working on blind retrieves.
Here he is on a whistle sit on his way to a blind retrieve, waiting for direction from me.
[Linked Image]
Some deer in a side field. No deer hunting on this place...
[Linked Image]
It's really nice to see all the new dogs everyone has gotten this year.
We are off to the lake to try for some salmon and some swimming fun.
Thanks for posting all the pics Splat. I'm really enjoying seeing all of Trap's adventures and milestones.
I've wanted a dog to go with me and enjoy a good life doing outdoorsy things. I couldn't have asked for a better buddy.
Here is today, kicking back while tolling for salmon.

[Linked Image]
Never had a dog trusting enough to swim up to me and just relax in my arms in deep water. I just put my hand under his chest and held him up. No kicking or moving around. He also would just go far enough towards shore and sit in the water and watch, kinda like playing lifeguard.
The wife and I are getting very attached to him. We never have to correct him or raise our voice. Just talk to him like a human and he seems to understand exactly what we are saying. I could give lots of examples, but he is one smart, loyal dog.

I love my dog!
Posted By: ingwe Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 09/02/12
Superb! He sounds like one in a million!
Gratuitous salmon pic.

[Linked Image]
Did the dog catch that? grin
Sorta!
[Linked Image]
laugh
I keep 3 white bumpers and 2 dokkens on a wooden plant stand by the side door. The other evening the wife and i were on the front porch. Trap kept buggin me to keep throwing a skin of what was left of a squeaky toy. He likes to pull the stuffing out of them. I hot tired of it only going a few feet, so i said to him," hey, why don't you go get one of your duckys and I'll throw that for you" .
He looked at me for a second like he was processing what i said. He took off around the house, and the wife said this is gonna be interesting. He came back around with a dokken. Now he had a choice of bumpers or dokkens.
Wife just shook her head and said He is just too smart.
Did he really know a ducky from a bumper? when we train i do refer to them by name. I would like to believe he does. Will i do that again? Probably not. I want to think he is that smart! !!!!
Challenge his brain like that once in awhile....it might surprise you...
Believe me. His intelligence scares me sometimes. We are waiting for him to start talking. He carries groceries in the house, i leave gatoraide out and ask him to get me one, that really shocked the neighbors one evening.
We are heading to town right now. Lowes is the first stop.
Pics in a bit.
Posted By: Huntr Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 09/02/12
Can't believe I have missed this thread! Yep, Trap is good PEOPLE! grin I have had the pleasure of meeting him. Can't wait to hunt some waterfowl with him this fall... No doubt having Trap around will sure make it easier for me to put up with his owner!!! LOL Just joshin' you Splatt! grin

Trap is a truly amazing!
Yeah..... Put up with me!
Hey huntr, trap is tired, here's the net, your turn to fetch! !!!

Anyways, we are in Lowes getting some flat brown paint for the pvc tubing blind i made.

[Linked Image]
Then we went to big r and he got his first pig ear.
[Linked Image]
Last stop was sams club.
[Linked Image]
He is a big celebrate where ever we go.

I have had my mind made up for a while that I was going to pick a Brittany pup out of the next litter at Otter Creek but, seeing all these pics of Trap are really making me want another Lab. eek

I think you've got yourself a once in a lifetime dog there Splat. smile
Lee does have a few started dogs for sale right now.
Ingwe,
Was over at the neighbors a bit ago and the wife's sister has a chocolate female, 1 year old.
She says she is a hyper, chewing monster, that doesn't listen.
I brought trap over.
Now she wants to train her dog! !!
Now, remember what you said about challenging trap's intelligence?
In front of about 10 people, i asked trap to go home and get me a bumper.
I have a huge head now!
He took off around their house, across the yards to the side door, and came back with a bumper. We walked over and showed the sister the assortment of bumpers and duckys, so she could see he had a choice of what to get.
She was just amazed at how smart he is.
So it wasn't a fluke the other day.
He is now about 20 months old.
I pray, he and i have alot of years to go together.
I just wished i had the knowledge to bring out everything he is capable of.
I know dogs are supposed to be color blind, but Duchess will get either her blue ball or her red ball, whichever I request. I'm not surprised your Lab can do almost as well. smile
Maybe in time he will do as well! !!
Always had house dogs. He just surprises me with his intelligence.
Whoohoo!
Proclamation says early goose starts September 22nd! !!

No early teal for pacific zone only in the central. Bummed. .....
Maybe in time he will do as well! !!
Always had house dogs. He just surprises me with his intelligence.

Seriously, Labs can be scary smart.
You havent posted pictures in 4 days. Unacceptable!
True story and I kid you not:

My yellow was out dove hunting with me and a buddy the other day. Well, after a few rounds of shooting he ran off.... Sucked.. When we found out him , kid you not... He was holding a dove in his mouth that someone else had killed and was close to the guys who were doing more shooting/killing than I was. Guess my shooting skills arent up to par!
Hmmm.....
Questionable loyalty. ..
What happened to thru good times and bad?

Oh wait.... That's with the wife.
Okay, its stinking hot here, but I'll take trap down to the river in a bit. I gotta scout out a spot for a blind i made out of pvc tubing.
Think this will work? still have some final things to do, but i wanted a low front so trap can see and i have to make a slit for him to get out thru.

[Linked Image]
Heck yeah it'll work! All it needs now is a "The duck stops here" sign. wink
I gotta find one of those signs!
Its light enough for me to carry down to the river from the field and move it around if the spot isn't working. There is some brush and branches left laying around since the land owner cleared everything out.
There is no more willows, Russian Olives, or small trees left from the fields to the water.
So i got to thinking, and made a blind out of pvc tubing and camouflage pattern burlap.

Im gonna put it down there next week or so. That'll given things time to get used to it before the season starts.
Yeah baby!
Traps first hunting retrieve!
Alright he didn't see the dove go down, but i sent him in the field and lo and behold, he sniffed around and did fetch on the fetch command.
I am a proud dad right now.
I did find a good spot to put the blind too.

Huge grin! !!!!!!

[Linked Image]
Trap looks awfully proud in that pic and rightfully so. Ya know, With a good dog like Trap to pal around with You're gonna be getting a lot more fresh air and exercise. whistle
Don't skimp on the exit slit from the blind or you'll all be in the water. smile
LoL!
Yeah, I can see yellow lab blowing out after a bird and not fitting too well! !

That would be priceless.
He's not smelled a dove before, so was new to him. I also gotta figure out how to get him to look up and watch birds. Maybe in time as he gets the idea of what's going on??
Maybe if he saw them fall out of the sky once in a while...... smile
Posted By: jpb Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 09/07/12
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Maybe if he saw them fall out of the sky once in a while...... smile

grin

If he is like most Labs, soon he will be giving you a look of scorn when you shoot and nothing falls out of the sky...

Not that I would know anything about that... it is just what I have been told! wink

John
Posted By: ingwe Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 09/08/12
I had a Brittany that didnt know I could miss till she was two years old. And whenever I shot a rabbit ( I wuv wabbits....) she would look at me like I was the lowest form of white trash, and refuse to go near it, lest she be seen in its company...
We are gonna go down to the river tomorrow where we duck hunt and see if doves are flying about.
We'll see how it goes.
Why is it i can fling lead for doves but have to use steel for ducks in the same place? ?
No birds flying yet.
Trap out sniffing around. I made him sit for a pic.

[Linked Image]
Trap doing a dynamic entry at the lake off a houseboat in 130 feet of water.
[Linked Image]
My layout blind is supposed to be here tomorrow. Anyone camouflage a crate to use for your lab to use as a dog blind?
Was thinking it may work to help hide a dog in an open field.
Teach him to sit still and put a hollowed out decoy on his head. Works like a charm. smile
3 more days til goose season opens here!!!!
Been seeing some birds. Hope decoy bring them down to the place i hunt.
Teach him to sit still and put a hollowed out decoy on his head. Works like a charm. smile

I demand pics! grin
3 more days til goose season opens here!!!!
Been seeing some birds. Hope decoy bring them down to the place i hunt.

Good luck to you and Trap! Hope he gets lots of feathers in his mouth opening day. smile
Me too. Thanks. He should do well.
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2

I demand pics! grin

I'll look for them...but they are all 35mm slides. smile
Today is the day!
Trap and i, in a layout blind. It's kinda cramped, but it'll work.
[Linked Image]

A deer just had to come over and see what was going on.

[Linked Image]
Thought we heard some honking down at the river? ?
Trap and I snuck up, and 4 geese got up. I only wanted trap to deal with one goose and a load of 2's did it's job.
I am very proud of my boy.
He watched it drop and waited til I sent him.
He didn't quite know what to make of this thing. He had never seen a goose before.
After a minute or so of sniffing it, he got ahold of it and back across the river he came.
That's my boy! !!!!!

[Linked Image]
A blow up.
[Linked Image]
Coming back.
[Linked Image]
And another blow up.
[Linked Image]
And when he got back. It was a good size bird.
[Linked Image]

Yea, I'm a very proud dad!
I love my dog.

Posted By: ingwe Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 09/22/12
laugh laugh laugh
Somebody is having an awful lot of fun! laugh
I have to admit, since i got trap, i have been alot more active, and getting more exercise.
Work is getting in the way today, so no hunting. We did go back down last evening. No geese, but saw quite a few ducks. Duck season starts the 15th of next month, so we should be getting alot more shooting done. We have a hunt test the end of October, hopefully he will get his first 2 junior passes.
Here's an update from this evening.
First goose fell right in front of us, wounded. Trap dove in and went for it. Goose dove underwater. Trap did too. Both came up, trap tried to grab it, but under it went again. Next time it came up, trap grabbed it.
Sorry for crappy pics, but cell phone pics are better than none.
[Linked Image]
We stood on the top of the bank, loving him up, when 6 more came from off to our right over the trees.
A load of 2's brought one down, but hit with a smack about 50 yards on the other side of the river.
Sent him, and he dove off the top of the bank, swam straight over and disappeared in the willows and other junk.
A few seconds later, here he comes running out with goose in mouth!
Swam back and delivered to hand.
Probably a good hunert yard retrieve.
[Linked Image]
Trophy pic.
[Linked Image]
He is turning out to be a fine retriever and my best friend.
I love my dog!
He carried one back to the truck.
[Linked Image]
Great job Trap! I've been camping for the last week and a half and this was the first thread I checked when I got back. smile
Posted By: lucket Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 10/01/12
Love them Yeller labs!

That's a fine looking dog.
Thanks guys.
Been working too much and have this nasty cold/flu thing. Lots of wet crap in my lungs. Got a z pack Saturday, so hope it goes away quick.
Hope to get out before weeks end. Also gonna get my blind set this week and brush it in.
An on alert, buff shot!
[Linked Image]
We sat last evening, but nothing flew.
Here he is just calm as could be watching magpies, and other birds.
He did watch ducks cruise by too.
[Linked Image]
The blind is set in anticipation of the duck season! ! Whoo hoo, only 11 more days.

[Linked Image]
Sorry. Cell phone just isn't taking pics like it used to?
Maybe your cell phone got wet from all the water that hard charging Lab is splashing around. wink
Gettin the wife geared up. She is going opening morning.
Got trap registered for his first 2 akc hunt test's last night.
He's gonna run October 27th and 28th in junior hunter.
Wish us luck.
Good luck.
This is a great thread Splatter!
It's hard to beat a lab's first real hunting retrieve, but that big goose was something else!
Good luck in the upcoming hunt test. I know he'll do great.
Tomorrow is the opening of our duck season.
Now we will see how all this training pays off.
Wife can't make it, so its gonna be just trap and I.
Stay tuned for pics.
Just got back from checking my blind and taking some gear down there.

Omg! There were so many ducks flying around. I quit counting after 100!
Interesting thing tho. They were landing in a small field over by the wood line that i think is being flooded. I didn't want to spook them all, so I'll check tomorrow and see why so many were landing back in there.
It's looking like a great opening morning! !!!!
I hope the 2 of you stack 'em up today!
Got 6.
Got 6.

I'll bet Trap made you proud didn't he?
Yep. My boy that I've owned for about 5 months now, sure put a smile on my face today.

We got to the blind about 6:15am, got the dekes thrown, and the lucky duck set.
About 6:35, the geese that had been honking down stream flew by. Trap was a whining!
So i look down stream and i see a black cow coming up river.

So i look around, look back, and I'm thinking Ed's bull is out and about.
When it got about 50 feet away, it dawned on my this black thing is round, not long.
A BEAR!
I stand up and said loudly, what in the [bleep] are you doing here.
He took off like i hit him with a cattle prod, straight across the river.
[Linked Image]
He was a big un.
This phone is pissing me off.
Here's a few more pics.
We quit around 10am.
Here's in the blind with trap staring at a hen mallard that landed in the dekes. A few dead ones hanging behind him.
[Linked Image]
And the trophy shot.
[Linked Image]
I love my dog.
Posted By: jpb Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 10/16/12
Nice dog, but in the future you are going to wish you had better pictures.

No offense meant -- I would really like to see better pictures too! smile

John
I'm going to take it in and see if it can be fixed. Looking at the lens, it looks scratched.
I took some with a digital camera too. I gotta download them.
Took my wife yesterday evening. She fired but 2 shots and didn't ruffled a feather.
Her first time shooting at ducks! !
She does great on clays.
Not many birds flying for some reason?
No hunting today.... Work...
I just tried the facing me camera function, and it's clear and bright.
Guess the other lens is that bad off.
Repair time!
Oh, and I'm hunting not 3 miles out of town, with LOTS of houses and such all around, so the bear was a surprise.
My wife was hunting last night with trap and I.
Here's some pics off her phone.
[Linked Image]
Trap watching some ducks.
[Linked Image]
I love you dad.
[Linked Image]
Calling all ducks!
I knew Trap was one of a kind but I've NEVER seen a dog that even does the calling for you. laugh
Give it time. I'll have video!
Well, so far we are up to 16 ducks, and 3 geese.
Last evening he did an about a 200 yard blind retrieve. Duck got hit, but continued on. I saw it fall down stream, on the other side. I sent him, a few toots on the whistle with hand signals and into the trees he goes. A few, what seemed like hours, later, he comes a running down to the bank and back up to me with the duck. I was grinning from ear to ear. He got a good lovin up for that!

[Linked Image]
mmm, duck blood from this morning. He is watching for more ducks. !
[Linked Image]

And we are number 19 out of 21 for saturday's hunt test and number 15 out of 19, for Sundays. Might be tough with all the duck scent everywhere.
Watching a hawk out at quality water last evening.

[Linked Image]
Nothing flew? Still had a great time.

Any day you can still get out with a good dog is a good day!
Where we went hunting this morning was too muddy to get him rinsed off, so when we got home, muddy boy and I took a shower!
He sure was lovin the soaping up and rubbing down.

[Linked Image]
Just an update.
We have been hunting with a few other guys the last few days, and so far trap has retrieved 22 ducks and 3 geese.
One of the other guys had a female yellow with, and yesterday she was favoring her left rear paw. We looked at it but found no goatheads or blood, but today he shows up without her because she was limping and her paw was swollen. She went to the vet today. The only thing we could think of was maybe she stepped on a russian olive thorn.

Got me thinking.....
The hunt test is this weekend, and I don't want trap to wind up with an injury, so we are done hunting til next week.
A decision, I feel wisely made..
Posted By: Sig220 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 10/24/12
Read all 8 pages Splatt and it was well worth the read. I agree with the other guys, you have to make it a "picture" thread!!

Good job with Trap and quit worrying so much!! Show your confidence in him and he will show his confidence in you!!

Hope you have him acclimated to Texans as well.... smile
Messing with pics.
I think this turned out really nice.
[Linked Image]
Or this one.
[Linked Image]
Wish us luck guys, we're off to traps junior hunt test.
First pass towards his junior title!
Hope he passes tomorrow!
And a quick pic when we got home.
[Linked Image]
He got his second pass today! !
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 10/29/12
Congrats, that takes some time, work and a good dog.
Thank you.
Well, back to hunting this morning before work.
My helper on my truck is getting into duck hunting and he shot 3, and I got 4. All mallards.
Trap retrieved 2 doubles.
He is up to 37 ducks now counting the 8 at the hunt test.
[Linked Image]
Trophy shot from this morning.
[Linked Image]
Goose 4!
[Linked Image]
What's the deal guys?
So many views, and so few comments.

Am i doing okay with training and loving my first hunting dog or am i screwing up?
I was hoping to show trap's new life with me and what i am doing with him, having thoughts of some input on what were doing, right or wrong.
Too much family dog, not enough focus on training?
Don't wanna screw him up.

If you were screwing up, I'm pretty sure someone would let you know. smile
Point taken.
It just seemed one sided with me posting progress/life pics and no comments. Was hoping taking a shower with him didn't give him a gay complex! !!
Too much information.
He's doing great as are you clearly. Lee got him started and your continuing that to good result. Junior passes don't come to chit dogs. You have every right to be proud.

My new dog should be back in another week or so.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 11/06/12
+1, there's not much to say. I've owned some Labs and still got a couple. I don't see how you could expect much more. Some Labs, a lot from what I've seen, will never be as good as he looks to be right now.
Thanks guys, I'm trying to be a good dad! Just got home from sonic. I got a chocolate malt milkshake, and trap had a small cup of vanilla ice cream.
And we will be in the duck blind in the morning.

Oh, where's your dog? a trainer?
Yes my new lab is out of Rocking M labs in Eatonville Wa. He's getting a little tune up as he had a few months off. Awesome black lab with super bloodlines and good skills just a little rusty due to down time. My work schedule has been crazy and waterfowl season is in full swing so I'm having Bryant do the clean up work so we can get out hunting sooner.

Bryant and Cindy produce some awesome dogs. He was going to be Bryant's meat dog but Bryant ended up with a killer female yellow that he is going to try to get a master national title on as well as the dogs he trains for others so I got a good deal.

Mostly a meat dog for me but I plan to run some junior trials with him and if he progresses well then hopefully seniors and maybe masters in time. His sister had a clean sweep of her junior passes and will start seniors next year but is showing capability to do master level passes.

Going out to see him and do a little training Saturday so I will try to get some pictures.
Would love to see him. How old?
Im not going to travel to get trap his titles, so we will run only when the hunt tests are here.
If he does his part, we should do a clean 2 passes to finish his junior in the spring, then senior next fall.
I feel pretty confident he could pass senior now, if they don't ding me for handles.
Trap has a block on how far to run on a blind retrieve. He goes out about as far as i can throw a bumper and turns around like he's thinking "okay, this is as far as you can throw, where is it?"
We will work on distance alto this year.

Trap is up to 40 ducks and 4 geese so far. We got just 1 this morning before work called.
We are doing all the training with no e collar too.
He learns very fast and seems like he wants to do what i tell him.
He's just too smart.

Where's the pics?
Supposed to be down to around 12 degrees tonight.
Hope traps avery vest keeps him warm.
Saturday was literally raining sideways so no pics were taken. Onyx may be home Wednesday if I get a chance to get up there, otherwise Thursday for sure.
He hates the vest. He won't run physco after a duck, and walks like there is a stick up his butt.
Duck 46. Live action baby. !

Pic later. Photobucket problems.
It was cold enough that after some jerky, he had a droolcicle.
This new photobucket is driving me nuts.
Lets see if i got it right yet..
[Linked Image]
YES!
Posted By: ingwe Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 11/15/12
Splatt...the thing I found with the new photobucket, at least in my case, it to sign in, and it suddenly reverts to the OLD PB...which I understand grin
I down loaded the photobucket mobile app., and I got the last pic to post.

Made reservations last night for a pet friendly hotel in alamagordo, for my oryx hunt.
Trap is going with us!
I just lcan't eave him home and miss this.
SWEEEEET! But don't let him get near a wounded one, he'll end up dead....
Yeah. I don't need a shish ka bob'd buddy.
You are gonna love this Oryx stuff... grin
Hope so.
Sharing the experience with the love of my life, and my best buddy, trap. Making memories to last the rest of our lives.

Off to the duck spot this morning.
3 guns today. Trap may get a work out!
Live action at the river.
[Linked Image]
Trophy shot!
5 gadwalls, 3 hen mallards, and 2 green wing teal. Plus 3 nasty coots.
Total to date 59 ducks, 3 coots, and 4 geese.
He is doing awesome.
[Linked Image]
Got a late start today.
Only 1 mallard drake .
Brings the total up to 60 ducks now.
Sounds like Trap is getting a lot of birds and coming along great sir.
Thank you.
Yes, he is doing very well retrieving.
When i contracted to buy him, i made the mistake of not clearing it with my wife so it would have been a decision we made together.
About 2 weeks after, we were talking about our old dog and how we missed a big dog. That's when i said oh, btw, i bought a dog.

She wasn't real happy, and prior to his arrival, was referred to as "that dog".
He is such a good dog, He has warmed her heart, and now she lets him on the couch, and general spoils him.
First she didn't want to take trap on the oryx hunt. It was her idea to bring him along.
We are both getting real attached to Mr Mellow. Only time he gets fired up is with birds. Bumpers, he does his job, but goes nuts when its a bird.
Listens, quiet,won't leave my side, just an all around great dog.
I hope onyx turns out as great for you.
Gotta go to work..... Cya.
We went out for a little bit til work called.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
He is always excited when he goes hunting.
[Linked Image]
He looks disgusted that you stopped at two mallards.

"Let's get back out there, Dad!" grin
He looks excited to me!!!!
I think he's about to pork one of those mallards.
He does love his ducks.
Posted By: cburns17 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 11/26/12
Next thing to teach is rocket control. Ha
Posted By: jackson25 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 11/28/12
aiding me in reuniting with my two toddler labs! ... Somebody had discovered her in the boulevard and ceased to pick her up. .... Right before I was determined to bunk this evening, I got a message from you that somebody may have discovered her.
From me?
I know nothing about it, nor sent you a message. Sorry. I can't help you.
I hope you find your pup.
What state are you in?
We leave tomorrow for our oryx hunt.
Hopefully will have pics by the weekend!
A great traveling dog!
Totaly relaxed.
[Linked Image]
Been awhile since i posted a pic. No duck hunting in over a week, so one of trap with my Oryx.

[Linked Image]
Got off work early, so i ran home, got my stuff and trap, and went a huntin.
Ducks 69 and 70.
[Linked Image]
Duck 71.
This one went into the tree limbs on the other side of the river. Trap was NOT giving up on this one.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
And goose number 5.
[Linked Image]
Still huntin. Posting from the river.
Goose number 7.
Goose dead in the water.
[Linked Image]
He is such a good boy!
[Linked Image]
Slow morning.
Only 2.
[Linked Image]
He had a busy morning.
4 guns today.
9 geese and 2 duck.
So that's 73 ducks and 16 geese so far this season!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sig220 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 12/25/12
Nothing like roasted goose, right Splatt!!

Merry Christmas!!
Merry Christmas to you and yours buddy.
Still can't figure out how to make goose suitable for human consumption. The dogs sure like it tho! !
We've got lots of these here now, but can't figure out what they are.
Any help? [Linked Image]
Duck 74, and geese 17 and 18.
[Linked Image]
We've got lots of these here now, but can't figure out what they are.
Any help? [Linked Image]

maybe a young merganser
Female goldeneye. Up to 78 now.
Dekes in the icy river.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: the_gman Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 01/01/13
Nice photos brother! Glad you and Trap are having a blast. You sure got you a good dog and maybe we can make our schedules coincide so I can come miss some ducks and geese with you both..... ;-)
Posted By: the_gman Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 01/01/13
BTW, thanks you cruel man you! Got me looking at Flat Coat Retriever sites and puppies again cuz I REALLY miss having a dog....
Can't believe you have waited so long after milo.
Ended up with 3 mallad drakes and 2 mergansers.
[Linked Image]
Total this season so far: 79 ducks and 18 geese.
Hope to get to 100! !
2 below this morning. My swamper went with. Took his house lab. Trap is up to 22 geese now.
[Linked Image]
Trap and I are up, but the tempt is minus 6, and windchill is minus 17. I am not taking trap out in these tempts.
Going today. Live action shots in a bit.
Slow morning. Only 3 so far.
Up to 28 now!
2 of these were blind retrieves on the other side of the river.
[Linked Image]
He had a rough morning with cold and ice.
Crashed on the front seat!
[Linked Image]
Trap is now up to 85 ducks, and 28 geese!
Today was 3 gw teal, a widgeon, and 2 mergansers.
I left the mergansers in the truck for trophy pic.
[Linked Image]
87 and 29 now!
[Linked Image]
No work again today. Glad i hunt about 3 miles from the house.
Trap all iced up from a river retrieve.
2 geese so far.
[Linked Image]
It was a little cold this morning.
[Linked Image]
He got a little bloody on this one.
[Linked Image]
4 guns and 7 geese. 36 now!
[Linked Image]
So what do you guys think?
Did i end up getting a good dog?
I think so.
Not bad. Just wait until he gets a chance to hunt some. smile
Got off work with enough time to hit the river before sunset.
Duck number 88, a hen gw teal.
[Linked Image]
Up to 93 now.
Maybe the cold has pushed them out? Saw very few birds.
[Linked Image]
A golden eye, a wigeon, and 3 mallard drakes.
[Linked Image]
Wife and I were heading home from town and stopped by the goose spot.
Number 94 flew up river and a load of number 2's dumped the drake wigeon.
Wife has not seen him hunt/retrieve yet. She smiled.
[Linked Image]
Took 2 of the wifes grand kids down to the river so they could shoot their bb guns, and got a gadwall, a drake wigeon, and a goose.
They got off on watching trap retrieve. The goose was a blind retrieve on the other side of the river. When i got them home, the boys couldn't wait to tell grandma, what trap did! Oh, 96 and 37 now.
[Linked Image]
104 and 88 now!
[Linked Image]
2 mergansers not pictured! Nasty things.
So what ducks are these? i take it they are divers?
[Linked Image]
And i tried to video trap retrieving the hen mallard. Course geese got flying, and one of the other guys tries his hand at calling.
Hope the video.

http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v631/splattermatic/20130124_141542_zps511f5b4a.mp4
Can't figure out how to do it? ? Any help how to link it or? from photobucket?
Rig move got canceled today, and was told this weekend is gonna be busy, so it looks like today is the last day of hunting for us.
3 guns, and taking a grandson from wifes sons side. He is 17. No license, so just coming along to watch. Going to try a different spot I've only hunted once this season.
Updates later.
Great morning til work called. Sitting in the yard right now doing paperwork from the rig that was to cancel in aneth,ut.
Trap is now up to 110 ducks. We got 6 this morning, and i think the step/step grandson is gonna be a future waterfowler!
No pics. Had to get to work.

Nothing on the board for me tomorrow, sooooo, looks like one more hunt.
Raining all day so far.
Real slow. Only a few flying today.
Winged a mallard drake and watched it sail down stream and crashed into a tree. Saw it fall to the ground. Moved a little thru the brush and sent trap.
It landed on the other side of the white fence, somewhere by the big tree.
[Linked Image]
A few hand signals and i had trap over there. Couldn't see him, and next thing ya know, here he comes with it!
[Linked Image]
The goose glided in after a hit, what turned to be 2 fields up.
Went to the fence line and sent trap. Half way across the first field his nose went up and he started searching.
He crossed the next fence and disappeared thru the next brush lined fence and disappeared. A few minutes later, here he comes with the goose.
Finished our season with a drake goldeneye from the other side of the river.
We had a great season and we learned alot about each other.
He can read me and i, him.
I am so glad i bought him, and thankful lee of wind river labs, has great breeding and awesome started training.
I love my dog and best friend.

Now to get ready for the up coming akc hunt tests.
Thanks for tuning in all, hope you enjoyed our waterfowl season.
He ended up retrieving 112 ducks and 39 geese.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: the_gman Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 01/29/13
Cool Pix! Congrats my friend, ya sure got a keeper there in your dog and best buddy....
JOG and bighorn, here's a btt for you 2 to look at the whole thread from when i got him til now and then tell me he hasn't bonded with me and i him.
We are doing just fine.
Crickets! !!!!!
Guys and gals, a dog will bond with love!
Yeah, you don't have puppy breathe with one, or lots of other things, but go forward with the thoughts of loving a dog who has some life experiences, but make more together. They will love you and you them.

Today trap and I are going to start longer blind retrieves and some lining work.
His second 2 junior tests are the end of April.
We are starting on senior level stuff now, so he is ready come fall.
Trap and I went down to the river the other day and took the blind down.
He sat inside while i unbrushed it, and took it apart.
He kept looking at me with a quesical look when i didn't shoot when ducks flew by.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ZEKEOB Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 03/07/13
So what do you guys think?
Did i end up getting a good dog?
I think so.

id say so!looks like a hell of a hunting partner, congrats man
Just an update for those that may be interested.
I am running longer blind retrieves with trap more now.
I am using some orange traffic cones where i set frozen ducks as a marker for him.
Trap has a mental block from training short distances at the park. He runs out about as far as i can throw a bumper and stops to look back for directions.
I have to break this by not throwing bumpers, and stretching out the distance before he looks back.
Setting frozen ducks at distance where he knows they are will get him used to going further before looking for hand signals.
Once we get too 100 yards with ease, then no more cones.
When he does 100 yard runs totally blind then ill start increasing the distances by 50 yards to get him finished.
Lining is going well, its just the popping.
He has hand signals and whistle stops down pat.
I'll have all summer to work with him to be ready for senior level next fall.
I really see no use where i hunt to take him to master level.
Distance, control, and a happy buddy is all i am seeking.
Get a launcher. Be careful of the recoil with the heavy loads.
Splatt are you training solo or with a buddy? If with a buddy set up a scenario where you can hide the buddy. Have him blow a quack or 3 on the duck call, toss the duck up high and away from himself where Trap can see it and have him fire 1 primer from a 209 starter gun. If all goes well Trap will mark the bird and ignore the hidden training partner.

That or sit Trap at heel and throw 6-8 bumpers into a pile as far away as you can. Then back up to 100yds and heel again. Now rather then send him via his name send him with the back command.

Both should increase his range before slowing up and we use both quite often when we don't feel like setting up all 6 Zinger Wingers.

Onyx is coming along nicely as of late. We have been running alot of 100-110 yd doubles and triples from the Wingers and more often then not he is cleaning them with no input from me aside from lining. Handling is coming along great via baseball drills and we are now starting to work remote whistle sits. Should be running his first Junior in the next month or so. The plan is to run him back to back weekends and if he gets passes at both we will do the Sauvies Island double header in June to finish his Junior title then start Seniors for the rest of summer.

Also as an aside I prefer my dog to do whistle sits as do most trainers i know but there is no requirement at any level for a dog to actually sit on the whistle (and some just wont remote sir period), they just have to stop, look at you and take the handling direction.

Good luck this spring and keep us updated about his progress sir.
I am training solo.
He does long distance marks great.
Its just the cold blind he has a hang up with popping at thrown bumper distances.
We have been working at 150 yards now with no close in drills anymore.
He is getting lots better at not looking back at me.
Tomorrow i am get with a ht judge and 2 pros, all 3 with bad azz dogs and do some training. They want to help me get trap thru master and other doggie games.
Trap "should" ace his last 2 Jr hunter tests and get titled.
With the way he does now, senior shouldn't be a problem, but i want some help from others to make sure.

Ill give an update tomorrow, after the pros have a go with trap.
Trap did real well.
The ht test judge said he won't make senior only because of his lack of confidence on the cold blinds.
They set up some bumpers and ran trap for distances, and he was getting better with going further away from me before stopping to look back.
They showed and told me how to set up drills to get him to be more confident on running blinds.
This is for doggie games. Hunting, they said, if i didn't care about the stopping, he would do great. I already knew that.
Once i get him thru the popping, they don't see any reason he would't make it thru master level.
They also critiqued me on my hand signals. My back wasn't straight up enough.
I will correct that.

So stay tuned for updates on trap getting thru senior and on his way to master.
Mean while my buddy and I will enjoy life together, and killing ducks.

Great thread Splat,you have a smart and loyal dog!

Just one question,are you training Trap or is it the other way around? smile
I think a little of both!

Thanks.
Heading down to the duck spot for blind retrieve training in a bit.
Pics later.
I ran trap on 16 retrieves this afternoon of 150 yards. So 16x300...
Poor guy was tired.
I put frozen ducks out at 12,2,and 10 o'clock.
He did awesome.
Here he is returning from the 12 o'clock blind.
[Linked Image]
And cropped to maybe see him way out there.
[Linked Image]
My boy is tired now. Laying on the kitchen floor while I'm making dinner.
[Linked Image]
He will make master, no problem.
Now that i have lots of time to train.....
I am no longer using cones.
Trap is doing very well running straight lines and leaps from the line running non stop.
Now to go over the akc rules on Sr, and make sure i know what handling errors not to make.
Its gonna be a long summer training. (the both of us)
Entry express just opened up registrations for the hunt tests April 27/28.
Trap is all signed up for his last 2 passes in Jr, and finding out if we can run a Sr test on the same day as one of his Jr tests.

We both need some experience at Sr running. He is doing 200 yard cold blind retrieves pretty easy now, and marks extremely well.
He doesn't break, and honors.

I think he can do his part, but can I?

Might just wait til fall so we can watch Sr tests now...
Some pics from training today.
This was about a 200 yard blind retrieve.
[Linked Image]
Cropped.
[Linked Image]
Dropped a duck on the shore near the end of the walk way. He ain't cheatin running the shore.
[Linked Image]
He's doin great.
Trained with some dog people yesterday, one being a ht judge, and trap did great. With the Sr hunt test set ups we did, was told trap would pass Sr level!
He is getting much better with his confidence in running cold blinds. Marking is very good, and no worries of him honoring.

This dog training stuff is fun. We get out everyday now, getting lots of exercise, even lost a few pounds!
Enjoyed some fishing today.
[Linked Image]
If the trout gets off right on shore, he won't let it get away.
[Linked Image]
This was one of today's training set ups.
My wife was up the hill on this side throwing 100 yard marks for us.
This is one of the other people training today, and she is a hunt test judge.
[Linked Image]
Chuck running a golden retriever on the mark.
[Linked Image]
Trap and I will pass senior as of right now, as per Cheryl!!!
Splatt,

Glad to hear all is going well for you and trap. Here's to a good finish to his juniors and solid runs in senior.
My lay off is over. Back to work maybe tomorrow.
Took trap out for some trying, to keep it fresh.
163 yards to the little tree on the right. (sure like my leica lrf1200!)
[Linked Image]
He got off line a lil going down the hill and across the wash, so a whistle sit was in order.
[Linked Image]
A right over back, and nailed it!
[Linked Image]
He's such a good boy. I love my dog.....
We did water work today.
He did great swimming straight out, and straight back.
[Linked Image]
He did great heading back, and stopping at the whistle and taking left and right overs.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The problem we need to work thru now, is running the bank back from the sides.
He also wants to run the bank on the corners, instead of diving right in and swimming a line to and back.
oh, the training!
Trap and I are leaving tomorrow afternoon to head up to the dam area for this weekends hunt tests.
Hauling the 5th wheel up and gonna hang out for a few days.
Meeting some people there and taking them to the above waterhole for some water work with their dogs on friday.
Saturday evening after day 1 there is a dinner at a local joint, so more meet and greets.

Wish us luck guys.
Hopefully ribbon pics are in the future !!

Good luck.

"The problem we need to work thru now, is running the bank back from the sides.
He also wants to run the bank on the corners, instead of diving right in and swimming a line to and back.
oh, the training!"

Discipline versus intelligence. smile
Yeah baby!
[Linked Image]
Congratulations to you and Trap
a little time to post.
He did great at the tests. No collar or lead.
I did get to run him in senior as a by dog. The last dog running needs to honor to a working dog, so i asked if trap could do it.
Turns out we weren't needed as the working dog failed.
I asked if we could still run, and the judges said yes.
Trap would have passed the senior land.
He only needed 2 handles to get him to the 76 yard blind.
The judges said he did excellent.
I had a big grin! !!
Now to get better in the water!
I have 6 months til the hunt tests are here again. I hope we can do ig.
Just need him to swim back in the still water, instead of running the bank.
Today, Trap is 2 1/2 years old.
It's been an interesting year of owning him.
I went back thru this thread, and watched how we have experienced alot of things together progress.
He has come a long way from the day we met like this at the airport.
[Linked Image]
Lots of views, but no comments, so Im feeling like Im talking to myself.
Just had to comment I got Traps UKC registration papers in today.
His first UKC HR seasoned tests are going to be July 27-28 in Cedaredge, Co.
Been working on decheating, and he is getting the idea to go and come back in a straight line in the water.
Was told the return is not judged, so we should do just fine in passing senior.
Now a question for all you that are checking my thread out.
I've had 5 offers now to stud trap and am wondering if I do, will his attitude change?
Never had a stud dog, and am worried he may start humping, trying to run off to find another piece, etc.

Anyone breed their dog and notice any changes in him?
Yeah, he was a lot happier afterwards. smile
Random pic from a few minutes ago sitting outside enjoying the sun and cool breeze.
[Linked Image]
The first one to get framed!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mudhen Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 05/20/13
Been following this thread for quite a while. Not much to say except that you have a damned good dog and solid hunting partner. Congratulations!
Thank you kind sir.
A discounted dna test kit came with the certification, so I ordered that today, and he has an eye cerf test scheduled for July 25th.
Maybe august will be his xrays on his hips and elbows along with blood work.
Gotta make sure he is gtg.
Splatt,

I saw your question about studding Trap. It's not a bad idea as he has a pretty good pedigree and is showing to be a solid performer. Is he Full registration or did Lee sell him to you as a limited registration? AKC won't register a litter if both stud and bitch aren't full registrations.

Before doing so I would do the DNA, CERF, Hips, Eyes and EIC. Every one of those tests show the quality foundation of the dog and anyone who breeds without them is not worth messing with IMHO. I would never want my dogs associated with any breedings that I can't prove both dogs are sound outta the gate.

A lot of breeders ignore EIC and to me it's a damn shame when a dog is bred and the pups get it. Have seen plenty of good dogs die due to it and it pisses me off no end that some people wont spend the $70. I wont even consider breeding to a dog thats owner hasnt shown acceptable results on the above tests.

If your not familiar with EIC their is lots of videos on YouTube showing it. Hell i have Onyx's results in my email i can forward you to see how to avoid EIC in a breeding.

Please please please do EIC along with the other tests if Trap doesn't have it yet. And make sure any bitch you breed to does as well.
Trap is full registered, not limited.
Gotta start somewhere with the health stuff and lee is walking me thru the steps. First eyes, then xrays, then eic, etc...
He should be clear thru parentage. But tests will be done to make sure.
I do not believe in backyard breeding, hence all the tests.
Where I live is small, so we are forced to travel to get the testing done.

Traps pedigree is awesome.
grandads on sire and dam are candlewoods ramblin man, and taylorslab magic trick. Tank is in there as well as lean mac and sweet potatoe pie.
There are at least 6 in his recent tree, that are in the retriever hall of fame.
Been meaning to post this.
Watch out for foxtails. Check especially between the toes.
[Linked Image]
He is doing better. Acting normal other than a hole in his paw.
lets see if I can figure out how to post a video...

I give up..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...mp;current=1370183006753_zpsa85e890d.mp4
lets try again!
This is a 150 yard blind retrieve.
He did alright for water and the distance.started recording a bit late.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...;current=20130601_123828_zps7c9088df.mp4
For those interested in how Trap is coming along, his popping is gone now, marking is super excellent, and he has his appointment on July 26th for his eye cerf, on the way to Cedaredge, Co. for his first 2 HRC seasoned hunt tests, Saturday and Sunday.
Never thought I would ever have a dog that was a great hunting dog. nor able to train such a dog to advance in hunting tests. We haven't passed yet, but if we work as a team, we should.
what fun we are having!
Registration is open now, so today Im gonna sign him up.

I love my dog!
Here's a random trying pic.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Okay, 2.
My father's Day card!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Some videos off my phone from doing some water work this morning.
We ain't perfect, but we will get the birds!
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...;current=20130619_122512_zps118881e8.mp4
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...;current=20130619_120004_zps8cae692b.mp4
So all you viewers, we doing okay?
Steadiness and thick cover work today. Charging thru tall hay for an unseen mark fall. This made him hold a line I feel.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...;current=20130621_110216_zpsa735e8ad.mp4
Trap was digging the wind in his face last evening on the lake.
[Linked Image]
Wife started recording a bit late, but working on remote sends and "place" training.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...;current=20130630_160243_zps094199c3.mp4
Out at the lake enjoying the day.
We just took a dip.
My boy and I...
[Linked Image]
I usually go to bed before the wife because of the early hours I get up.
Trap sleeps next to my side of the bed, but lately, after I fall asleep, he sneak in bed with me.
Whoever says getting an older dog, the bond won't happen is full of crap.
The wife just couldn't resist taking some pics of the 2 of us.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I think my dog loves me!

Random boat pic. He's enjoying his life with us I think.
Next weekend is his first 2 seasoned/senior level hunt tests.
Hope all goes well.
[Linked Image]
We leave tomorrow for Traps first run in ukc seasoned level hunt tests.
Ill try to post how he did. Pass or fail, he's still my buddy and duck dog.

Wish us luck.

Good looking pup, and good luck.
Here's a quick pic after getting our ribbons with a friend, who also was one of the judges on day 2.
WE DID IT!
2 seasoned level passes!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 07/29/13
Congrats to you and Trap! I can tell from his eyes that he's pissed about that cigarette polluting his nose!
Well.....
Sad to say he isn't pissed. I smoke too. So he is well used to it.

But anyways, thanks. Lots of work went into this level, and lots more ahead.
Posted By: mudhen Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 07/30/13
Congratulations! Your hard work (and his) have paid off. Trap is the real deal!
Congrats Trap!!

And good job Mark!!
Thanks guys.
I've got a great dog, and just trying to use what he was bred to do.
Plus I get to spend alot of time with him.
Besides being my buddy, he's going to be a top notch hunting dog.
AKC senior is next the end of October, but waterfowl is gonna be in full swing by then.
This last tests were pretty interesting, as Trap had to be steady for a surprise walk up bird, kinda like a jump shot, and a diversion bird was shot while making retrieves in land and water right in front of him. Can't switch, has to continue with his retrieve, then go back for it. 2 marked birds and a blind in water and on land, all shot at with blanks over his head.
Kinda like real hunting.
He did good....

No cig in this pic.
[Linked Image]
Just cuz I'm all giddy today!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 07/30/13
Awesome! Great accomplishments for Dog and Trainer!
Been reading the other threads on dogs, and there are some dandies out there.
Got some lanyard jewelry in the mail yesterday from the western colorado hrc club to go with Traps recent ribbons from his 2 passes in seasoned.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Early goose starts next month. Can't wait!
Been visiting property owners already, and secured permission in the old spots, and picked up 3 new ones. I think one of the new ones is gonna be a hot one.
Will find out when the migrators move in.
The dog days of summer.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: the_gman Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 08/11/13
Great pics my brother and I liked the hell out of Trap when I met him and could get some time with him away from you. (which was all of about 30 seconds at a time!!) Count me in for some bird killing this year; going back to my roots and might even break out my Dad's old Beretta S56E O/U instead of the deadly A303 Auto or the Extrema.

Damn you have a great dog!! Think you should buy a bloody lottery ticket with all the good luck you have...... grin
Fishing on Navajo lake today.
[Linked Image]
Over 83,000 views, and so few comments.
Guess ya'll just like the pics and have little to comment about?

A few more weeks and early goose starts!
We went to Sportsmans Wharehouse today to get a few things.
Trap was shopping the bumpers!
[Linked Image]
I think he likes water!
Fishing at the pond right now and its getting a bit warm.
He's just sitting by the shore watching and staying cool.
[Linked Image]
Oh, and he carried the tackle bag to and from the truck.
Had bags in my hands and tried to take a pic of Trap helping us carry groceries in.
Finger got in the way.
[Linked Image]
I love my dog!
Early goose is looking good!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
No doves, but we're out!
[Linked Image]
Went and put my blind in today.
Should do well in this spot.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Trap got hot. Went and laid down in the water.
[Linked Image]
Looks awesome Mark. How's that new structure that they built at the beginning of the summer looking? Is it going to be huntable this year?
No hunting it this year. It's all finished and seedlings planted.
They put one of the ponds just below the road. Seems pretty stupid to me.
Im not too sure I'll hunt it. I have too many places all to myself on private land.
Hey John, here's a few pics of what it looks like.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I need to get up there and see that part of the state(and take a shotgun and/or flyrod with me when I go).
Tomorrow is opening day of early goose here.
Been out of town for several days, during all this rain and was wondering how my blind was doing since the river is way up.
Went by today after work and high and dry!
[Linked Image]
Saw no geese on the water, but heard some come in and land in the fields.
Heading to my truck I heard some geese coming up river, turned around and saw a flock of 6 fly right in front of the blind, turned, and landed with the others in a field next to where my truck was parked.
The landowner was coming down to visit and another flock came in.
He said they have been in that field every day for over a week!
We parted and when I got to my truck another flock flew in right over me.
Got video on my phone.
I know where Im setting up in the morning!
Had to be over 60 geese out there.
[Linked Image]
Ed said it was just fine to set up in that field.

Video when I down load it.
Lets try this.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...;current=20130920_173248_zpsc9b0747f.mp4
[Linked Image]
Had a great opening morning. Had 2 come into the decoys, got a double, then a flock of about 20, locked up, and took my 3rd. Was done by 8:30!
[Linked Image]
Great morning.Video'd Trap retrieving.
Trap and I are up and heading back to the fields for day 2.
Rain is expected, and I am seeing lightning flashes and can hear thunder to the south.

Here is our set up from yesterday.
Gonna try the same this morning.
[Linked Image]
Blood is always good!
[Linked Image]
let's see if this works.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...;current=20130921_072257_zpsc34247e4.mp4
another good morning!
makes 6 geese.
[Linked Image]
You guys are abso-freakin-lutely killing it! Congrats. Love the pic of trap with the goose blood on his nose.

Thanks for the pics of that new structure. Sorry I didn't get back to ya sooner, I've been busy as hell with this move and PC access is limited at best.

Jon
Lovin every minute of it! !!
Geese were still trying to land while taking pics and picking up dekes.
[Linked Image]

I love my dog!
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 09/26/13
It's great seeing a guy like you devoting time to let his dog do what he is meant to do.

It's his whole purpose in life and he'd prefer nothing else. Most guys don't have the time. He's lucky to have you as his handler.

Good on you. smile
Thanks!
This is the whole reason I got him. So glad he turned out the way he has.
We is goin in the morning again. Ill figure out how I posted videos before and record how happy he is retrieving. Tail a waggin and the look on his face is priceless.
Season 2 is beginning!
Love shooting geese(just haven't been able to in about 5 years). Congrats on some nice hunts to you and Trap.
Very nice, looking forward to more photos and stories... Keep shooting..
lets try this video.
sound doesn't match video though.
http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v631/splattermatic/20130921_072257_zpsc34247e4.mp4
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...;current=20130921_072257_zpscc5791a0.mp4

someone tell me if they can see the video please.
All done before the sun came over the hill.
A flock came over and I dropped one. Trap was sent to retrieve, and the flock turned and came back!
Wings cupped and they were coasting in right over Trap bringing in goose number 1!
Could not resist, and dropped 2!
[Linked Image]
The spread and a bloody dog!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
And a pic my wife took out at the lake while I was launching dummies.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: the_gman Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 10/05/13

I could see the video. cool What a good boy dragging that goose back to you.
Here's another.
For some reason the audio is off from the video.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...;current=20130921_084357_zps74fccdee.mp4
Duck starts Saturday!
Here we go!
We're ready for another fun filled, adventurous season.
Did a last minute check on the way home. The river is up still, so Trap is gonna get a work out tomorrow.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Slow morning.
Only got a partial retrieve on video.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...;current=20131012_091401_zps611ee017.mp4
Today.
Makes 7.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 10/13/13
Very cool Mark!
Today.
Makes 7.
[Linked Image]

Great pic..
Another one bites the dust.
Short morning, work called.
8 now.
[Linked Image]
Real slow duck season start here. Not many birds?
But here's a cool pic from yesterday morning.
[Linked Image]
Thanks for the update Mark! Was wondering how you and Trap were faring so far. I figured you guys would have a TON of ducks right now with the amount of snow the northern rockies have been getting.

Southwestern PA sucks.... I'm already ready to head back your way.

Jon
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 10/22/13
These sunny bluebird days make me think I'll stay in bed for tomorrow's opener south
Gonna give Trap a break the rest of the week.
He has 2 senior AKC hunt tests this weekend.
Hope we pass!
Off to the hunt test.
Wish us luck!
Hope he listens and doesn't pop. Been too busy to work with him for over a month.
I feel unprepared......
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 10/26/13
Relax and have fun.
Had a great morning, but failed.
By what we talked about after, is I don't think he saw the walk up memory bird.
He went and got the flyer, but went about 3/4 of the way I had him lined at the walk up bird and switched to the live flyer fall area.
I should have handled him too. Soon as I realized what was going on, I should have whistle sat him, and cast him back.
Oh well, tomorrow is another one, so we'll see.
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 10/27/13
Thread inspired me to look for another lab pup. Sent out an email this am to the folks I got my last one from. Good luck in your test today.
Today went better.
Traps first AKC senior level pass!
[Linked Image]
He did a really good job.

labs rock 30338. you won't regret it.
Just cuz Im still giddy about his pass!
[Linked Image]
Traps gonna have some fun here starting the 26th!
[Linked Image]
Great morning out on the rez!
[Linked Image]
Are you hunting out of that box?
yep.
works great.
Shot some cool birds today.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The pond on NAPI today. Come on the 26th!
[Linked Image]
I'm not going to lie, I'm surprised you kill anything out of those things. Do you leave them out all season?
no. its a collapsable fabric blind.
geese don't mind it either.
[Linked Image]
Cut a hole for trap to get in and out.
[Linked Image]
Trap is 3 today!
Happy Birthday buddy.
Happy Birthday Trap!!!!!!!!!
He said thanks!
Gave him his favorite for a cake.
Hotdogs!!

We're going to the power plant in the morning!

[Linked Image]
Trap must hate his picture taken.
I just can't seem to get a good manly picture of him.
Anyways, got a beautiful redhead drake this morning.
[Linked Image]
He is frozen, awaiting a trip to the taxidermist.
Hunting on NAPI starts Tuesday.
I sure hope they stick around for a few more days!
[Linked Image]
Pond 2, right next to this one.
[Linked Image]
And a whole sky full of ducks and geese.
[Linked Image]
Hopefully, Trap has a busy tomorrow.
Good luck. It sucked down south this past weekend.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Oh......
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...;current=20131126_085448_zpsc9a5106b.mp4
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...;current=20131126_131024_zps0fb40d96.mp4
Awesome stuff Mark!!! Is that you and traps first band?

What's the history on that bird?

Good video too!
Hey buddy!
Where are you now?

Hope all is well.

Yeah, its our first.
Drake mallard, banded on 8-17-12 in Brooks, Alberta, Canada.

We up and gettin ready to head out.
Gonna try another spot this morning.
Good stuff!

Ive got feet on the ground over here. Still in billeting b/c they're out of room in other places. Quite alright since I get the room cleaned for me and the trash taken out and a few dollars in per diem daily.

Tired of living out of a suit case, but I'll get my things delivered soon enough. Congrats on the band again! Excellent achievement!!

Glad you made it safe and sound.
Enjoy your time and shotgun shopping!
Thanks for staying in and your service.
Tried a new spot yesterday late afternoon.
Took another permit holder with me.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Josh got 5 ducks and a goose, and I got 4.
[Linked Image]
He really liked Trap.
Even insulted me by asking if I would sell him.
Then chuckled, knowing the answer.
He said Trap was awesome.
We had a great morning!
[Linked Image]
I'd say so. Birds are really starting to move in. NAPI?
Yeah.
We had hundreds of ducks working us.
Mostly mallards.
Geese are everywhere.
We think this was our last good hunt on this pond. Its gonna freeze over with this next temperature drop. The deeper middle was open, but the flooded grassy side were froze.
We busted up a good sized hole and put decoys and a lucky duck in it.
Birds were pouring into it. They seemed to want to be there instead of the open water.
Awesome time, had hundreds and hundreds of ducks working.

[Linked Image]

So do they flood up areas on the NAPI, or are those all natural ponds/sloughs? Looks like you need a Momarsh boat so you can hunt some of that deeper stuff when the shallow stuff freezes.
Not sure where the water in this pond comes from?
There is another, but fenced in, up hill and to the side, that has a little water in, that I think is fed by the canal system.

If the larger center stays open, we can always hunt the grown up edges of it.
Traps legs are swollen from busting ice yesterday. Vet says r&r for a few days.
soaked me/him in Epson salt in the tub last night. They look a little better today.
[Linked Image]
Beware of ice guys!
It'll hurt their legs. Didn't even dawn on me.....
I feel bad.

[Linked Image]
Eat your hearts out!
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...;current=20131207_143337_zpsc7652777.mp4
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 12/08/13
Keep up the good work! Very jealous.
Ponds are frozen, so time to move to the fields with layout blinds.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...;current=20131209_132421_zpsee9b66bc.mp4
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...;current=20131209_133307_zps40d0d22a.mp4
Going thru my usfws survey card, total as of today, Trap has retrieved 146 ducks and 47 geese so far.
146 ducks just this season? Not too shabby at all.
I didn't shoot all of them.
Here's some a guys borrowed show lab wouldn't retrieve.
Trap cleaned them up for him.
He sent me this pic of Trap posing for the trophy pic.
[Linked Image]
I hunt with a few guys who don't have dogs.
I just keep track of how many retrieves Trap makes.
3 of us got our limit of 12 this morning.
[Linked Image]
Been watching ducks feeding in a corn field.
Trap and I set up yesterday late afternoon.
We found a deep tire track from the irrigation line and we sat down in it and covered up in corn stalks.
[Linked Image]
When I took the pic, I thought Trap was looking at a cow nearby. I looked up and he was alert on a flock of incoming ducks.
[Linked Image]
My decoy spread.
[Linked Image]
Trap and I had a great evening.
7 ducks and 4 geese.
[Linked Image]

Im getting blue boxes. The pics showing?
Updated photobucket and it's changed. Guess I gotta figure out the new update?
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 12/18/13
That is a good night.
Copper and Trap were a great team this afternoon.
[Linked Image]
Not posting many pics anymore due to lack of feedback, but I wanted to share this one with you all.
6 geese down this morning.
[Linked Image]
Trap and I are having a phenomenal season this year.
He is doing awesome.
Just a few flying around!
[Linked Image]
Yeah baby!
[Linked Image]
It just keeps getting better and better here.
Hunted with 2 other guys this evening in layout blinds.
Traps first time in a dog blind. He did great.
[Linked Image]
21 bird, 3 man limit in under an hour.
There were thousands of birds swarming us. We were picky on what birds we wanted.
[Linked Image]
I got my top trophy bird too. Actually 2!
The back one goes to the taxidermist tomorrow.
[Linked Image]
Trap was tired and slept most of the way home.
Man, I really love my dog. He's such a good boy.
[Linked Image]

Nice pintail, looks like you have a good one in Trap
Thank you.
Hey Kurt, here's a few videos from yesterday.
http://s.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/20131227_165241_zpshbzytpyr.mp4.html
http://s.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/20131227_164729_zps3jqidmxb.mp4.html
http://s.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/20131227_165556_zpskjuoezq6.mp4.html
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 12/29/13
That is very cool. Are the honkers coming in despite the mojos? Ours tend to avoid duck spreads up here.
Gotta update from last evening.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 12/30/13
If dogs could smile.....
Nice hunts.

What was that whistling stuff going on in the videos?
widgeon call.
Haha. Gotcha. I'm not trying to be an ass at all, becuase y'all kill plenty of birds, but that video is proof positive that duck calling doesn't necessarily kill birds...location does. I didn't hear a single thing in there that sounded anything like a duck, but dang if y'all didn't hammer them. You've had some dang nice hunts this year. Congrats.
Traps trophy pic from last evenings hunt.
Cropped it.
Good bye 2013, it was a fantastic year watching my boy grow and mature.
Hello 2014, with Gods blessing it will be a wonderful year, with many more awesome experiences with Trap.
[Linked Image]
Pretty bird and pretty dog.
Thanks.
Least we know who got the brains and looks between Trap and I!
Shot 1 goose this morning to end 2013 with a bang!
Big flock flew low over the truck while we were sitting in the fields scouting.
Couldn't resist stepping out!
Let's see if this works.
http://s.photobucket.com/user/splat...ads/20131230_163227_zps14abf620.mp4.html
Happy New Year!
[Linked Image]
Been a while since i checked this thing out... YOU SUCK MARK!!!!!!!
Yeah, I do!
Been watching geese land in a huge cornfield lately, and interestingly, land near an old meter house of a plugged gas well.
Thought about a blind in the weeds, but since they are used to the meter house, decided to sit in it and see what happens.
Set some full body dekes out to the side so when geese would deke, they would go behind the side wall, and I could stand up, and poke out the door without being seen.
Trap figured out what I was doing pretty quick, and sat behind the wall and just stuck his head out to watch/mark falling geese.
[Linked Image]
Out ta sight in the corner!
[Linked Image]
Lots of geese came in. Didn't take long to get our limit.
[Linked Image]
Trap is really figuring out this hunting stuff.
Been workin, and prepping for my oryx, so Trap and I haven't been killin birds for a bit.
Got a friend coming from AZ next week for 3 days of huntin, so I thought I had better get out and scout.
We still have plenty of birds here.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 01/23/14
Good luck on the oryx and more geese. Been an epic season down there.
We have til the 31st to finish our season.
Got a friend showing up today for 3 days of hunting with Trap and I.
Bills dog went into season, so Trap is gonna get a work out!
Well guys, today is the last day Trap and I had to hunt.
Season ends tomorrow.
Was a fantastic season, with a grand total of 206 ducks and 90 geese.
Had a friend hunt the last 3 days and we didn't do too well. Such is hunting.
Traps last 2 retrieves were on a canvasback, and a drake, green winged teal.
(Not pictured, nor 3 geese)

[Linked Image]
Going over some pics from this week.
Trap laying next to my layout blind, covered in corn.
[Linked Image]
A beautiful morning, looking over the dekes.
[Linked Image]
Traps gonna learn a new hunting method!
I bought a Banded RIP blind and it came in yesterday.Assembled it in my living room, and tried it out for fit.
Man, this thing is huge. It's not for the on foot mobile hunter.
I wanted a big blind so I could have Trap inside with me.I got it!
[Linked Image]
With the angled sides, Trap can lay beside me with plenty of room to still move around. He needs a bit of practice to figure out his spot in it.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 02/11/14
What is the weight and how small does it fold up? Not sure I want Hawken in one of those with me just yet:)
Its heavy and doesn't fold up.
Its 64 1/4" wide by about the same long.
Its big!

Ill have months to work with Trap and see if it'll work.
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 02/12/14
That rig should be perfect in your spot down there. Trap would be warm in that sucker.
He's going to be beside you in the blind? That's a lot of dog to be trying to share a blind with and shooting out of it with you... Why not just get him a dog blind?
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 02/12/14
Be careful talking to Splat these days, he is a little melancholy with season finally closed.
Actually, even with all the room in the RIP blind, I saw a video from a trainer at some expo or store showing how to train your dog to lay behind the seat.
It only took a few times for Trap to figure it out.
[Linked Image]
A dog blind is yet another thing to camo in those huge bare corn fields.
Slip lead just in case, and no breaking!
Trap doesn't get to retrieve at every shot when there is hundreds and hundreds of birds working. He plays clean up.
http://s.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/20140212_131626_zpsfld3gmmk.mp4.html
Plus added heat, can share my food, and give him a scratch on the head.
Plus I like looking at him while we're talking.
Good luck with it.
Only one way to find out.
Got about 9 months til Ill use it!
Wifes gonna throw ducks and Im gonna sit up and fire poppers over the summer.
Oh, and Trap had a ball on the oryx hunt.
[Linked Image]
Trap really gets intense about fishing.
[Linked Image]
He's gotta help!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 03/03/14
Trap seems to be enjoying the off season break. I bet he would do great on hikes with a backpack on.
Well Kurt,
Its not all relaxing for him when season is over.
He had a great workout today on long marks and blinds on land.
Took him over to the pond for a drink and to cool down.
You can see the ripples in the water from his panting.
Next senior level hunt tests are the end of April.
Keeping him in shape and tuned up!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Traitor!
He left me because she was catching fish....
[Linked Image]
2 more weeks til hunt tests!
Off to today's hunt test
Wish us luck!
[Linked Image]
Its been awhile since I've posted anything about Trap, so here's from this past weekend.
Took him flyfishing and he was such a good boy.
He really wanted the grandsons 20" trout.
[Linked Image]
The water was really cold, so I had him sit on a rock for a bit to warm up.
[Linked Image]
I just looked in this forum and noticed that my thread is just shy of 223,500 views.
Why so many and so few comments??

Y'all just a bunch of lookie loo's?

Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 07/08/14
I missed that pic of Trap in the Kenworth, very cool. I enjoy keeping up with his exploits. Hoping to get my black lab out a bunch this fall.
Trap and I are chompin at the bit for this hot summer to end, and the 4 1/2 month long waterfowl season, to begin.
Been messing with my portable blind and raffia grass.
Thinking it just may work!
Some more tweaking is need tho.
[Linked Image]
Bought a few more lucky duck spinners and remotes, made new stands for them, converter stakes, from g&h, to use floaters in fields, and two new calls from j a kolter in Iowa.
Forgot the pic.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TPW Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 07/14/14
Nothing cuter than a lab pup, we're well into our 3rd lab. Love 'em to death, they are the best. Enjoy.
Trap earned his UKC Hunting Retrieve title this weekend. He went 4 for 4. My buddy made me proud.
[Linked Image]
When Roadrunner HRC club officials heard Trap earned his title, we got the water bath!!
[Linked Image]
Found a few dove yesterday evening.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 09/09/14
I need to get out for doves again some year. I prefer bear and elk hunting in Sept, but doves are a great time. Won't be long for you guys now.
Big grin, happy dance!!!
Sept 27 it all starts. Goose is first.
Its official!
Trap's, UKC Hunting Retriever Seasoned level certificate came today.
Now to finish his AKC senior title and move on to finished and master.
Been lots of fun so far. Made dumb handler mistakes along the way, and put in alot of work.
Im really proud of my boy!
Its taking time to work our way up, mainly due to where we live and me not wanting to travel to chase titles.
[Linked Image]
Opening morning!!
Great morning with my boy.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 09/27/14
Awesome! I'm coming up to shoot with you this year!
Posted By: ingwe Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 09/27/14
Excellent Splatt!

You and that boy have sure had some shining times!
C'mon up buddy. We can have some fun!!

Trap and I have turned out to be a great team.

He sure has become the bright spot in my life!
We're inseparable.

Tomorrow we're going back to the same spot!

Got a teal recipe I wanna try.
Nice! Looking good for opening day!
For the life of me, I just cannot get him to give me a manly pose for pictures.
Shot 1, and got run off by ants today. There was a gazillion of them, crawling all over Trap and I today.
[Linked Image]
Here's a short video from Saturday morning.
Guess he thought he was getting a 3rd bird from that area, and popped, looking around?
A back command and he was on his way.
He ain't perfect, but gets it done.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/20140927_071403_zpsjdsdyvdd.mp4.html
Another fantastic morning with my buddy.
[Linked Image]
Awesome, rainy, morning.
[Linked Image]
Perfect set up.
[Linked Image]
My half of a 2 man, 14 bird limit.
[Linked Image]
This is how it works with Trap in the blind with me.
[Linked Image]
Brushing in our blinds.
[Linked Image]
Finished product. We each got our limit of 7 this evening.
[Linked Image]
Life is good!! God sure made an awesome sunrise this morning!
I love my dog.....
[Linked Image]
It was a beautiful evening.
[Linked Image]
It was a beautiful evening.
[Linked Image]

That's an understatement.......................!!!!!!!!!! smile wink
Posted By: 175rltw Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 10/23/14
He poses way better when he's not in "hold" mode and looking meek. Yellow dogs look cool with a little duck blood on them.

I've got the opposite problem. No one can tell this one is a bitch. She even hikes a leg to piss.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Trap and I had a super weekend!
Great team work between he and I, earned him 2 more AKC Senior level passes.
He needs but 1 more to earn his title.
God, I love my dog.
[Linked Image]

Better pics tomorrow. We're tired.
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 10/27/14
Good job Trap! And you too Splatt:)
Bird numbers are still low.
Migrators should be getting here soon I hope.
Just thankful I am getting out to enjoy life with my buddy.
[Linked Image]
Good job Trap! And I'm glad to see this thread is still going strong. smile
My set up this evening. Took this this pic walking back after ditching my pickup.
[Linked Image]
Only shot 2 from the first flock that came in. Wait til you see the video I took.

[Linked Image]
Here ya go!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 11/04/14
Looks like bird numbers are growing grin
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 11/05/14
Never field hunted. Do you just use regular decoys and shove them in the ground? Good talking to you today Splatt.
Well, Im cheap and poor, so I make my decoy do double duty.
I use my floaters with converter stakes.
Sure, they don't move in the breeze, but the set up sure seems to work.
I just bought another dozen stakes today.
[Linked Image]
I bought Avian X decoys. Awesome durability and very life like.
A dozen is dedicated just for the fields.
[Linked Image]
Im going to mix in some more pintails and widgeons.
I do use some of my old and ones that leak, as well.
Since I only have a dozen stakes so far, I do take my heel, and make a furrow to put the keels in for the others I use.
[Linked Image]
If you can zoom it on this pic, you can tell which ones are on stakes and which ones are dug in the ground.
The spinners are set up on varying height stakes to give the appearance of desending birds.
You can also see Trap laying in the layout blind in the foreground.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 11/06/14
Those avian x dekes look sharp. We get some colder weather up north, you're going to need more ammo:)
Bought 6 cases earlier this year!
I hope I have enough??!!!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 11/10/14
Splatt, get ready, this storm is just hitting us here now and there has to be ducks along for the ride. Post pics.
For years we used our floaters in fields by taking a 3' piece of scrap 1/8" rod and folding it in half, then we bent the halves into a 7 shape. Stick in the ground and slide the keels into the fold at the top.

Now I have 3 dozen full body field shells with motion stakes
I don't have enough room for location specific decoys, so floaters do double duty.
Works for me!

Didn't expect to see this guy this evening.
[Linked Image]
Video from last evening.
Ill find out this evening if I got it right.
Trap is gonna have fun if I do.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/20141110_172150_zpsfllm8epp.mp4.html
Another awesome evening in the fields.
[Linked Image]
It was flock after flock this evening!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 11/17/14
I'm seeing a pattern:) Nice work guys. Seeing any pintails yet?
Mornin Kurt.
No, can't say I have yet. Guess I should scout some water and see what's floatin around!
Have seen anything but mallards in the fields.

There were ALOT of geese last evening where I was. First ones I've seen. Migrators must have finally started to get here.
Trap and I are on a mini vacation with my wife in Colorado Springs for a few days.
She had to go there for work, so we tagged along for some fun.
Here's Trap staring at the fish at Bass Pro.
We did leave without buying anything. Just couldn't find anything I wanted or needed.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 11/20/14
Have not been in that store, but not a big fan of Bass Pro. Cabelas on south side of Denver is not too bad. Trap looks like he wants to retrieve one:)
Trap loves him some goose!
Just brought one back. Gotta love a bloody dog!
[Linked Image]
Not many flying yet, but managed to get 2.
[Linked Image]
They took turns this evening.
[Linked Image]
Just a little brag on Traps retrieving.
I quit saving wings weeks ago, when I ran out of USFW survey envelopes.
[Linked Image]

At a pond last evening.
[Linked Image]
Goose day!!!
Jake, the chessie wasn't feeling well, so he stayed in the truck.
He got out to smell some goose and to join in on the pic.
[Linked Image]
My other buddy had to bail, so JB and I set up again for ducks in another spot.
Ducks didn't show, but we finished our limit on geese.
[Linked Image]
My ugly old mug, with my buddy.
[Linked Image]
Wait for the video of Trap retrieving 2 of a triple I shot!
Thought about it after he brought back the first one.
[Linked Image]
After he retrieved one from a 3 shots, 3 goose triple, I thought about videoing.
Here ya go!
He's come a long ways in 2 1/2 years.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/20141202_160411_zpsp14ebhnz.mp4.html
Oh happy daaayy!
2 man limit in about an hour!!
[Linked Image]
Waiting patiently.
[Linked Image]
Fetch means fetch!
[Linked Image]
It was an epic afternoon!
Trap has really put it all together this season.
Doesn't break, marks multiple birds, and is such a joy to have with me.
[Linked Image]
Just cuz I wanna add another pic.
I hope he lives forever!
[Linked Image]

Nice pictorial essay Splatter. Great companion too.
More makings of summer sausage!
[Linked Image]
A memory of Trap arrived home today.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Been a while since I checked in Mark. Nothing new though, you and Trap are SMASHING them this year!

How are the bird numbers out on NAPI this year?

Hope you are well, Merry Christmas!
Jon
Hey John.
A belated Merry Christmas to you.
Numbers haven't been good due to the warm weather. Some talk the birds have been holding up by Salt Lake.
Trap and I have done well. This season wasn't about numbers, but learning.
Got a new blind, and Trap had to learn to lay inside with me, as well as mark what I was shooting at when the doors opened and where I was pointing the shotgun.
New decoys as well.
Tried different set ups and blind placements.
Did lots of no shooting, but watching and videoing.
Went to elephant butte Tuesday and Wednesday.
33 ducks for 3 of us!
[Linked Image]
Trap wasn't sure what to do at first but got it after a few birds went down.
We were hunting a huge area of flooded smart weed. Walked about a 1/2 mile out and crouched down in the water as low as possible and shot what came near enough to a mojo. Trap had to follow the gun, cuz we were shooting in all directions.

Thanks for serving buddy.
God bless you, and keep you safe.
Oh,
Even tried a cornfield camo'd blind in a winter wheat field to see what happened.
[Linked Image]
Some geese didn't like the set up, but some did!!
[Linked Image]
Just checked this thread out.. Missed it somehow.. Great photos.. Great duck hunting.. Dogs make like wonderful.. He is a beauty..
Thank you.

Snow time!
[Linked Image]
Im sure your all about tired of the life and times of Trap, but I thought today 's pic turned out very nice.
[Linked Image]
We're having an awesome season, but alas it's coming to an end shortly.
I've received a few phone calls from some of you guys, asking why I haven't added any new pics.
Lack of comments and most likely, tired of looking, I said.
Guess I was wrong.
Trap and I are having one heck of a season!
Here's a couple to add to the thread.
[Linked Image]
This morning took a buddy and his dog. What a beautiful sunrise and gorgeous morning.
Flock after flock coming in. We didn't want to have the hunt end too soon, so we took turns shooting 1 bird from the flock and watched the dogs do their thing.
A limit of Canada's, a snow, and 2 widgeons.
[Linked Image]

Trap making a long mark on a crippled goose.
Easy one!
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/20150107_155941_zpsskyx0vuh.mp4.html
This evenings hunt was unbelievable!
Got a rare Eurasian Widgeon.
[Linked Image]
The kid can shoot!
He got 3!
[Linked Image]
Mark-
Just found out I'm getting diverted back to Albuquerque. Looks like I'll be seeing you soon.
Oh ho!!!
We's gonna have some fun!!!
When?? For how long??
I'll get there in Feb sometime. I'll be there another 4-5 years!

Looking forward to the spring and catching some fish on the San Juan. Def need to meet up and get a beer or a coffee in the morning. It'll be good to see you.
Yeah. You too...

Don't worry about anything when you come up here.
I got you....
Posted By: wageslave Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 01/16/15
I pick up my new lab tomorrow at noon.
Pretty stoked.
Nice!!
8 weeks old?
Where from?

You'll love it!! Wonderful dogs.
7+
North Idaho.
I'll throw up a pic when I get it.
Cool!
Just from having Trap......
Make it your best friend, spend 24/7 with it. Crate train when not.
NEVER, just let it out in the yard alone to hang out.

You'll wind up with a potty trained, non destroy the house, follow you everywhere, read your body language, loyal, shadow, companion.

Socialize. Take it everywhere with you.

Join a training group if available, read books, watch videos. Training starts day 1. Go slow. Its a puppy. Soon it will get it, and the training and behaviour becomes how they are the rest of it's life.
Don't yell or beat it. Some physical discipline is needed, like a heeling stick, but its not used to beat it.
E collar.... I'm still on the fence with that. It is used to reenforce known commands, not teach.

Rant off...

I love my dog and he, I. He tries to please me in every way. He knows what's acceptable and what's not.
Best buddy I've ever had, as you can see by the pics in this thread.
He's not perfect, but damn close. A master hunter titled dog...Not gonna go there. Been hunting with a few and ft dogs. They are worthless hunters. Robots.
Real life in all scenarios makes em.

Enjoy your buddy, it doesn't last long enough.

Lost the yellow 12-02-10. Great hunter.

Chocolate 8-12-14. Loyal and loving, sorta dumber than a post. grin

I've had papered labs since I was 14.
All female.

[Linked Image]

This one will be a male.

This is at 4 weeks.
It will go to work with me everyday.

[Linked Image]
My bad.
Thought it was your first.
No problem, Bro.
We are never to old to learn....

and I'm pretty old. grin
Great show!! How long does the season last in N. M.?

Wage, glad to hear you are getting a new puppy!! They bring joy to one's life, even if they do pee on the floor once or twice..
The rez season ended last Sunday, the 11th. Regular state season ends the 23 for duck and the 24th for goose.
Im in the Pacific flyway.
Im just about burnt out now, but I still may go out a time or 2?
I've got everything cleaned, and ready to put up.
I won't say total birds down, but, I went out 65 times this season.
And not a band.....
Just the Eurasian, being the highlight, and I did get my first ever snow goose. 2, actually.

Sounds like a great season!!! One of the benefits of living in a milder climate.. Our duck shooting here has been over since early Nov. Season is on, but everything is frozen.. Or the ice so bad, I would fear for my dogs lives if they entered the river.. Thanks for the show.. It was great..
Posted By: wageslave Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 01/18/15
[Linked Image]
What a dandy!!!! Congrats on a beautiful pup.. He will bring joy to your days.. Glad you made the plunge..
What a cutie!
I miss puppy breath.
Name?
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 01/19/15
Always been owned by German Shorthairs, but that young man is a heart-breaker. I know you're still miss the one you recently lost, but am glad you got another. Let the fun begin.
Posted By: wageslave Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 01/19/15
Otis
Thanks, Buddy.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
What a dandy!!!! Congrats on a beautiful pup.. He will bring joy to your days.. Glad you made the plunge..

Thank you, Sir.
Happy so far...... grin

First day at the office.........
Break time?

[Linked Image]
That's cute.
How is he dealing with leaving his mom?
I may be in your shoes late this year with a "son" of Trap.
Posted By: wageslave Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 01/21/15
Remarkably well.
Had a howling session or two most nights........
He's getting lots of attention though, as nearly every customer picks him up all day at work and I hang with him til bedtime at night.
I turn on the outdoor channel at night for him. grin
He loves the crate.....

I had two labs for about 13 years.
I'd do it again if I was retired.....
I have been told a wind up clock in the crate will help a pup sleep.. Like the beating of him mom's heart.. Keep us posted.. Had mine out for a pheasant hunt.. they did pretty good for all the practice they have had on roosters.. glad you can spend time with the little guy.. That makes a pal out of a pup..
Posted By: wageslave Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 01/23/15
I should have read that closer.....
Windup clock?????
Is there such a thing anymore? grin
I think so.. We bought one a couple years ago.. I know where you mind was!! That item could be hand too.
Thanks.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: wageslave Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 02/03/15
Otis is growing.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Snake River Lower Hell's Canyon Idaho
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 02/03/15
Otis be stylin'.
Trying to refine his form!
[Linked Image]
A btt, to show an American field bred lab.
Posted By: twofish Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 03/22/15
Trap and Otis are great looking dogs. In watching this thread Ole' Trap looks like he has really done well with your training. Would love to talk to ya about that some time.

Wageslave, Otis' color is really good looking. Looks like he doing well.

Here is my buddy Wylie. Just turned a year a couple of weeks ago.

My first Lab but been lots of fun. He keeps me on my toes!

I think he was about 8 months in this pic.

[Linked Image]

twofish

Posted By: wageslave Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 03/27/15
Wylie is a stud.
Thanks for posting.
Haven't checked in here in awhile.
He sure is studly looking.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm no pro with training, Trap just makes me look good.
Trap and I are jonesing really bad.
Pulled most everything out my decoy she'd and went over it.
Added some more raffia grass to the Banded RIP blind, and hung it back up.
[Linked Image]
Made sure the GHG Elite series fb goose decoys were clean, and we're in pillow cases, and tube socks were pulled up good on the heads.
[Linked Image]
The big bag, has bigfoots that I just put flocked heads on. They got the sock treatment too.
A friend I hunt with called the other day, and wanted to know if I was interested in a dozen fb mallard decoys, in a Dakota Decoys padded, 12 slot bag, and 2 hen mallard mojos, with remotes, pretty cheap.
You betcha ! Pick that deal up yesterday evening.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
These 2, brings me to 6.
[Linked Image]
Now to finish grassing my extra layout blind, and I think I have my gear ready for the upcoming season.
[Linked Image]
Trap is about done running hunt tests. I'll run him the end of October, to finish his senior title, and we're calling it good.
I see no sense in going further.
We went fishing yesterday to cool off. Nice brownie!
[Linked Image]
Another nice brown today.
Given half a chance, Trap would grab the fish, and eat it.
[Linked Image]
Nice fish.. Great you two are enjoying summer..
Chillin at the lake!
[Linked Image]
Getting the decoy trailer packed !
Figuring out what's gonna ride where.
Early goose starts September 26.
[Linked Image]
Still have room in the front for layout blinds, and rakes and such.
Not sure what to do about duck floaters ?
Might just have to bag em, and still have 5 dozen goose shells to figure out where to put.
Haven't needed them in the past, so, most likely, stayin home.
[Linked Image]
Dove opened today, but only jumped a rabbit on the way to my spot this morning.
[Linked Image]
The duck season has started !
[Linked Image]
A short video.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/spl...-10/20151010_083911_zpstpfk0y6w.mp4.html
Got him out this morning for a work out.
If all goes well tomorrow, Trap should get his final pass to earn his senior title.
[Linked Image]
What a journey so far!
Trap is now Wind River's Trapper II senior hunter.
We passed for title today !!!!
[Linked Image]
Signed up for 2 tests this weekend, needed but 1 pass for title, but ran again today.
Pass number 5 !!!!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: battue Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 10/25/15
Congrats.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 10/26/15
Outstanding! You should be proud of your accomplishment.
Thank you sir.
Coming from you, I take that as a huge compliment.
I'm tryin.
All learned, and taught, alone.
We killed a nice, mixed bag, yesterday morning.
[Linked Image]
Very nice and great photos..
Posted By: ingwe Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 11/06/15
Dove opened today, but only jumped a rabbit on the way to my spot this morning.
[Linked Image]

When I had my bird dog ( a Brit) she refused to have anything to do with rabbits, and when I shot one she would look at me like I was the lowest form of Walmart Trailer Trash.
She considered herself an elite bird dog. grin
Fetch means fetch !!
He doesn't care what he grags. All he wants to do is please me. Dad shoots, he goes after it.
Shoulda seen him deal with this guy in a corn field after it snuck in thinking it was gonna have a goose dinner and a load of #2 steel rocked his world.
[Linked Image]
Oh yeah, oh yeah !!!
Let the fun begins on Tuesday!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 11/10/15
Congrats on all the ribbons. Look forward to a lot of dead waterfowl pics again this fall. I still haven't gotten out up here yet.
Well,
Here's 2 to start.
He's such a handsome boy.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And thanks BWinters, the 20 gauge, 11-87, is working just great.
Live action pic.
[Linked Image]
AKC is on the ball.
Received Trap's official Senior Hunter certificate today.
Feelin pretty giddy we've made it this far.
[Linked Image]
The time spent alone with your dog, on a gorgeous evening is priceless.
Snow caps in the distance, barely a wind, ducks circling overhead, and 2 in the bag.
Here's Trap watching some ducks circling the field before tucking in, and shaking with anticipation of doors flinging open, sitting up, shots fired, and getting released for a retrieve.
[Linked Image]
Wife bought me a Gopro.
Here's my first try with it.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/spl...C5F955A882064842F64_zpssyaa5whx.mp4.html
He's such a good boy.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/GOPR0005_1449077268160_high_zpse1lkutsd.mp4.html
Trying to figure out how to crop videos. Not going too well yet.
Fast forward to about 3:30 for the action.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/spl...8_1449207818818_low_zpshndbg7yq.mp4.html

You will like this video.
One huge flock coming in on Trap and I.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/spl..._1449360229669_high_zpsgj1gj0kz.mp4.html
Posted By: 30338 Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 12/08/15
Trap is doing great. Nice video .
Thank you.
How's your buddy doing ?
How Trap carries a goose.
[Linked Image]
Great evening with my boy.
[Linked Image]
Another season has come to a close.
Monday, being a day off for kids, I took the wife's grandson to a place I have permission to hunt, to see what was flying.
His dad has only taken him twice this season, and he was always busy doing other things to go with me, til now.
He shot his first 2 birds on the fly, the merg's, and I got the goose and ringneck.
Trap had a blast.
I went out on Thursday for the last time this season.
[Linked Image]
I got my first wood duck, a hen, but my first.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cooper57m Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 01/23/16
Do you eat those Mergansers?
Freeze them for training over the summer.
While a buddy was shooting one of my ar's, I got Trap out of the truck, and put muffs on him.
Yes, they did cover his ears.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kingston Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 03/06/16
I love the ears! I'd love to take Joe to the range, but have always worried about his ears.
Trap getting the crumbs from the bottom of the bag.
[Linked Image]
A veterinarian lady who runs dogs in hunt tests, recomended my lab to a person as a stud to their female !!
Gotta get an std test done, and discuss stud fee.
Looks like Trap is going to be a dad !
1st goose of the 2016 season !
[Linked Image]
Nice work, we flubbed our first chance at geese this year!!!
Cooling off after setting decoys last evening with me.
[Linked Image]
The fruits of our labor this morning.
[Linked Image]
Besides retrieving the birds, and sharing the body heat in the blind, Trap also helps with dragging the bags of goose decoys back across the field to the trailer !
[Linked Image]
Good job... No geese for us..YET!! Keep up the good work..
First duck of the season.
A mallard drake.
[Linked Image]
2 memories of my days with Trap, ship Monday.
They look awesome in the pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
nice.
My first ever wood duck !
Trap did a great retrieve in the rain swollen river.
This will become another Birdman Studios creation.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Cool..Never shot a woodie...
Posted By: kingston Re: i pick my lab up tonight - 11/06/16
Love this thread!
Thanks. I was hoping some of you were still enjoy it.
Going to frame this pic next to the mounted woody.
[Linked Image]
Excellent!!
We have mallards, widgeons, and gad walls here, by the gazillions per say...
Because of being in the high Desert, wood ducks are pretty scarce.
Some guys shoot limits of woodies, and wish they'd see a mallard.
With that said, I'm liking this pose for my woody for the wall.
[Linked Image]
Yes, no ???
Very nice shows all the beautiful colors!
Trap figured out real quick, how to jump on, and where to sit.
He's really diggin this thing.
[Linked Image]
He will be driving soon!! Cute!!!
If he had thumbs, I'm sure he would be !
Was a decent morning for a few of us.
[Linked Image]
A quick hunt Sunday morning.
[Linked Image]
Thanks for all the views everyone.
Wow, heading towards 501,000 !!!!
This was a fun morning today.
[Linked Image]
Let's see how this works out.
Trap retrieving a greater Canada.
It was a BIG goose.
Trap weighs in at, at least 104.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/20170101_074543_zpsj8ypsbio.mp4.html
Wow, I didn't know NM had such good waterfowl hunting!!! Great pics.. Great job..
© 24hourcampfire