Home
Posted By: clark98ut Kennel/pen suggestions... - 08/01/12
What are you guys doing for flooring, housing (is that the correct term?), etc. for your dogs? We're building a 10'x25' kennel for our GSP and need to get the rest of the details worked out.

Thanks,

Dan
At my old duck club, we used this... flooring!
Posted By: Reba Re: Kennel/pen suggestions... - 08/19/12
Smooth concrete
Whatever is in the master bedroom. smile
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Whatever is in the master bedroom. smile

There had better be a red carpet down the hallway to the master bedroom. smirk

In the kennel I have pea gravel. It hardens the dogs' feet and makes it easy to clean the kennel.
Actually, I've used concrete and pea gravel. I preferred pea gravel.

However, Duchesses sleep number is 55. smile

...you poor man... frown
Carpet and dirt when in the pen.
Seally pillow top at night, and a big soft dog bed in the living room.
Trap is a member of our family and gets treated as such.
Originally Posted by luv2safari

...you poor man... frown

I can live with it.

To the OP
Smooth concrete if you want to use a hose. Pea gravel if you pick up. I prefer to pick up.
Posted By: TScott27 Re: Kennel/pen suggestions... - 09/01/12
I'm a stickler when it comes to cleanliness, which is why I chose pea gravel for the kennel.
We use "bank run" gravel. Sl bigger than pea gravel and gives better footing IMO. I excavate down 12", line the runs w/ block or treated lumber, and fill with the gravel. Dogs luv to dig under their houses in the summer.
Posted By: kjb1382 Re: Kennel/pen suggestions... - 09/02/12
Concrete pavers. They're easy to hose off and sanitize occasionally, and they drain well. Make life easy on yourself and have a hose bib nearby, as well as a spade and scoop.

I've used a few different doghouses, but all were destroyed by my shorthair. Now I use a Dog Den 2 by K-9 Kondo, and love it.

I dont know if heating is an issue for you. Since my dog doesn't like the door closed, rather than use the manufacturer's "air heater" or wood shavings, I installed a Kane pet heating mat (the ones by Lectro Kennel are junk). It has a reliable thermostat, so I just leave it plugged in 24/7. If electrical wasn't an option, I'd go with wood shavings. The Dog Den is pretty well insulated, so the dog's body heat would keep it reasonably warm, and the lid pops off for easy cleaning. She stays in there all day, high and dry.

Good luck!

© 24hourcampfire