Home
Posted By: 79inpa best running partner - 12/17/12
I want a dog that I can take running with me. There are a few people that live in this area so it can't go running off.

I don't want to deal with too much hair.

Can't be gigantic...don't want to trip over it
Must not be mean...don't want to get sued or want it to eat someone elses dog
Must be very friendly
Posted By: joes Re: best running partner - 12/18/12
Vizsla, but you better be in good shape.
Posted By: dampatents Re: best running partner - 12/18/12
Boykin Spaniel... but be careful or your wife will steal it. Doesn't shed... always checks back... very biddable.
Posted By: 79inpa Re: best running partner - 12/18/12
Originally Posted by joes
Vizsla, but you better be in good shape.

very cool... might have to look for one next summer
Posted By: 79inpa Re: best running partner - 12/18/12
Originally Posted by dampatents
Boykin Spaniel... but be careful or your wife will steal it. Doesn't shed... always checks back... very biddable.

i'm not married
Posted By: stantdm Re: best running partner - 12/18/12
The dog your looking for may not exist. They will all run off if poorly trained or highly stimulated. The hair thing is iffy, they all tend to shed at certain times. My lab was friendly but not to cats. BTW labs are not good running companions, it wears out their hips. (at least that is what the vet I use says).
Posted By: ingwe Re: best running partner - 12/18/12
Border Collie...but only if you are smarter than the dog and can live with it while you arent running.
Posted By: joes Re: best running partner - 12/19/12
Runners world or one of the magazines had an article about dogs as running partners.
English Pointer!
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: best running partner - 12/19/12
A Boykin will develop a closer bond with you than any dog you have ever had, if you spend quality time with them. They are just awesome dogs, and losing one will just about kill you.
Posted By: Backroads Re: best running partner - 12/19/12
My wife runs with our GSP twice a week. They do 6 to 8 miles and Zeke could go quite a bit more.
Training is the key, heel and whoa are what she uses most while running.

My lab is a great running partner. We only run maybe 5-6 miles a week he loves it
Originally Posted by ingwe
Border Collie...but only if you are smarter than the dog and can live with it while you arent running.

I could live with the lil micro manager dog, but as for the smarter than it part I'm toast....... cool

Dober
Posted By: ingwe Re: best running partner - 12/20/12
Got mine outsmarted...for the time being. I bought a two ended tug toy that looks like some kind of "Marital Aid" and I put her on one end, and a German Shepherd on the other...they are wearing each other out as we speak... grin
Posted By: selmer Re: best running partner - 12/20/12
Originally Posted by Backroads
My wife runs with our GSP twice a week. They do 6 to 8 miles and Zeke could go quite a bit more.
Training is the key, heel and whoa are what she uses most while running.

^^^This. Except mine is a weimaraner and calmer than most GSPs. Heel and whoa are absolute commands and Lucy heeds them closely, I run her off leash on the E-collar.
Posted By: 79inpa Re: best running partner - 12/21/12
I would like to run about 20 miles per week in 4-5 mile sessions
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: best running partner - 12/22/12
I would look seriously at the Rhodesian Ridgeback. Pretty sure they call it the marathoner's dog. Not "big" dogs (70-90 lbs) from the few I have seen in person and pretty, lean, and nice. Also, suppose to be fearless... history of standing face to face with lions in Africa.
Posted By: hackleback Re: best running partner - 12/22/12
I am a runner. I think any of the pointing breeds would be good. I know of of a couple runners that have weimaraners, that can go a long ways. Getting your new running partners into shape and a good obedience is important. In particular, dogs with bad manners and group runs do not mix.
What about something like an Airedale? For some reason, they give me the impression of being good runners and awesome protectors.
Posted By: hackleback Re: best running partner - 12/24/12
Running dogs come in all shapes and sizes. I trail run with a guy that brings a Pomeranian. This little puff ball has gone as far as 14 miles and appears to be fine, go figure. From my experience, the long steady pace that is found while running on the roads appears to be a lot harder on dogs than trail running with occasional stops and a bit slower pace. If you can get then off leash, that they do even better. Take care of there feet, pavement will sand their paws right down and trails are known for sharps.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: best running partner - 12/24/12
I've never met a GSP that didn't love to run.
Posted By: racethesunset Re: best running partner - 01/08/13
Goldendoodle - in all seriousness.

My wife has allergies like crazy, and we compromised with a mid-sized, low shedding, fun-loving tweener. I've been running almost daily with him since he was 3 months old, off a leash from the get-go. Retriever type instincts, top-tier intelligence, and rock star hair. Not great with the Arizona heat, but loves the water and trails, and overall is a very athletic and happy breed.
Posted By: selmer Re: best running partner - 01/09/13
With your caveat of 20 miles/week with 4-5 miles sessions I would pay careful attention to WHERE you run. If you're running purely on pavement and the dog can't run on anything but pavement you run the risk of pounding his or her joints to pieces. Make sure that they can run on bare ground, lawns, ditches, etc. to protect their joint health. Lucy has the most fun trail running with me. It's an absolute ball!
Posted By: duckster Re: best running partner - 02/02/13
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: best running partner - 02/03/13
Greyhound.

Well, I have a GWP, smooth coat, handsome as can be; loves people, dogs and to run--I have a pic of him from my ATV including the speedometer showing 18-20 mph at mile six and he's 50 yds ahead.

If Photobucket would quit jackin' the picture-posting process around, I'd throw it up here.

In warmer seasons I run with him and while I'll do four or five miles, he'll double that by going back and forth, side to side on the country roads we run on. I do run him with a collar to control him a bit because, though he is very obediant, he can get carried away with the enthusiasm a five year old pointer has. He looks like a GSP having short hair but it's dense and does shed a ton.
© 24hourcampfire