Home
Posted By: 30338 Got another Drahthaar coming - 07/10/19
Posted many pics of Bane on here in the last few years. Here he is last week in Montana hiking. 82 pounds of pretty hard drahthaar. Pretty much where I want him regarding hunting training and skill set.
[Linked Image]
Adding male number 2 in early 2020. Dad is this dog pictured. Described as a very hard hunting male with quiet disposition around the house. The mom is the 2015 Armbruster Champion and sister to Bane's mom.
[Linked Image]
Bane was named after the bad guy in Batman. New guy will be Harvey, two face lol. Harv for short. Always exciting getting a new pup, can't wait for more training days.
vom Who's?
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 07/10/19
Vom Heuerhaus out of Cheyenne.
Very cool, mines 14 now & getting slower than me!!! He was my first & if he had been my first dog I would have no other breed from that day on!!! They are an amazing very versatile breed to say the least. Not liking the day mine leaves for the big hunting grounds. Keep us posted !!! It'll cheer me up. Bill out, 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Congratulations! I hope he turns out to be a great pup.
I think you will be glad you got a second dog. They will play together and keep each other in shape.

My wife talked me into the second one and glad she did. She said a dog needs another dog. She also said what if one had an injury? You will have a backup.

Be sure to show us lots of pictures of new dog!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 07/14/19
Spent the day around a bunch of young drahthaars at our local Chapter Training day today. Always a lot of fun. It does make you appreciate a fully trained and ready to go dog. Looking forward to a lot of work with the pup next year and glad I have one more fall working with a finished dog before the challenge of another pup.

If anyone is interested in a drahthaar, I'd strongly suggest checking out your local VDD-GNA chapter and attending a training day or two. It gives you some insights into the local group and what the dogs are capable of.
Harv looks full of energy!

Enjoy the new dog and am looking forward to photos from the upcoming hunting season.

Guy
Congrats, looking forward to photos and (eventually) hunting stories. Hoping to add a Wirehair to our household soon too.
The DD pup should be a great dog all around for you. My GWP is 16 weeks and a work in progress.
Very lucky dog!! Looking forward to reading about the training progress. I've tried to talk the wife into a partner in crime for Hank, but I've lost that argument.
Posted By: ribka Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 07/27/19
Originally Posted by pointer
Very lucky dog!! Looking forward to reading about the training progress. I've tried to talk the wife into a partner in crime for Hank, but I've lost that argument.

bring home a draht puppy and let her hold it
Congrats on the pup! I'm looking at a pup for next spring. I'm not sure what I want but it will probably be a wirehair or English Setter if I get my way and get a male. If my wife wins the fight and we get a female then I might go with a Large Meunsterlander as I can get a female for free. A buddy who breeds them is always looking for a home for his breeding females and will give me a freebie if he can keep the breeding rights. Nothing is more expensive than a free dog which has me leery of that arrangement.
that's cool kurt. One of my favorite breeds.
Every time I see that this thread refreshed on the menu I think, "Damn, he got ANOTHER one?"

Love this picture, don't think I ever had that much enthusiasm.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 07/31/19
Bane and I are a close team and typically hunt by ourselves. Thinking this breeding will fit in nicely with Bane and my wife is firmly on board. Looking forward to this fall with Bane hitting full stride and then if all goes as planned, Harv will arrive in February. Then it will be a full year of training for HZP and VJP, with my eye on a VGP test for Harv as well.
Who’s your breeder Kurt?
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 07/31/19
https://www.heuerhausdds.com/

Up in Cheyenne.
This looks great... I love these dogs..
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by pointer

bring home a draht puppy and let her hold it
I'd have to build a way bigger dog house if I did that, as I'm thinking me and both dogs would have to use it! wink Besides, I'm not quite sure I can handle a DD, my PP gets the best of me most days.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 10/31/19
Sounds like the breeding took and pups are due on Nov 24th. Bane and I have some hunting time to make up this fall. Got distracted by elk. Now its time to get with it.

Kind of anxious to drop both those big guys down on some pheasants though. Fall 2020 its on.
GREAT DOGS!

They're tenacious and tough as nails. They never run low on "hunt".
Awesome! Looking forward to hear about your progress with the new pup!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 11/24/19
Litter hit the ground last night. Have 6 male pups to weed through in 8 weeks lol. Going to be great to be able to alternate dogs on fields next year.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Originally Posted by Azshooter
I think you will be glad you got a second dog. They will play together and keep each other in shape.

My wife talked me into the second one and glad she did. She said a dog needs another dog. She also said what if one had an injury? You will have a backup.

Be sure to show us lots of pictures of new dog!

Your wife speaks truth. A second dog pays for itself in reduced naughty behavior. And the dogs are happier than a single, lonesome dog.

Originally Posted by 30338
Litter hit the ground last night. Have 6 male pups to weed through in 8 weeks lol. Going to be great to be able to alternate dogs on fields next year.

Proud mama.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 12/16/19
Couple of the male pup pics. Get to see them a few times before I need to select one in late January. Pics at 3 weeks.
I like #4. He has the cold steely eyes of a hunter.

...besides he's cute...
I like the head on #4. A little bit higher ear set. Wish we could see a side shot of them both.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 12/17/19
Going to visit the litter around Christmas. Will grab a few pics then. Daughter was big part of picking the last one and she is running up with me again. Sure they'll all kick butt if worked with.
Awesome!! Great looking pups.

I've tried unsuccessfully to convince my wife that Hank needs a buddy. Doesn't keep me from trying....
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 12/23/19
Get to see the boys tonight. Daughter is running up with me. Knowing the parents, very confident any of these guys will be a great partner to my current drahthaar. Here they all are at 4 weeks.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 12/24/19
Have to forgive all my posts. I am kind of like a little kid when it comes to puppies and my wife may be worse. Got to see the little guys yesterday finally. Nice looking litter and knowing the mom a little, I don't have any concern that it will be a high drive pup. Should team up well with my 3 year old no matter which one I end up getting.

https://www.heuerhausdds.com/

Mark usually has 1 litter a year and has a great reputation with the breed. If you are considering a drahthaar at some point in the future, keep this place in mind.

Pic of one of the guys here. Forgot how little they are at 4 weeks.

Melt melt. Gosh they all are cute. I would grab the one that was looking at the camera #3. Did the same with my dog:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 12/24/19
AZ, I think that pup picked you out right away. Hope you're having a good season there.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 01/16/20
Well, with the first choice in the 2020 draft, Team Bane has selected our new running mate. Pic of Bane relaxing, and a pic of the new guy named Harv. We expect him to hit 70 pounds, perhaps a bit more. He seems to be exactly what we wanted, so now time to get to work. Here is to good hatches in 2020.

Awesome!! Good luck with the new "player".
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 02/26/20
Harvey hit 13 weeks this week. Working on sit, stay, come, down, heel and tracking drills. Was able to do a little shotgun sensitivity work with him at Huntsman22's place last week. And most importantly Bane has come to tolerate him. Lot of work to do and looking forward to it. Buying some chukars coming up and working with the Great Plains group at next training day. Liking what I am seeing with him a lot.

Originally Posted by 30338
Harvey hit 13 weeks this week. Working on sit, stay, come, down, heel and tracking drills. Was able to do a little shotgun sensitivity work with him at Huntsman22's place last week. And most importantly Bane has come to tolerate him. Lot of work to do and looking forward to it. Buying some chukars coming up and working with the Great Plains group at next training day. Liking what I am seeing with him a lot.

Aww sweet you named him after me! Great looking pup.
That's a great looking pup!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 03/08/20
Had good weather and took him for some training with the breeder. His first live bird point today under very controlled conditions. Great time training today.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 03/13/20
Tired of the news. Pup is doing good. Very attentive little guy. Hoping his eyes stay intense and keeps learning fast.
Great development!! I've messed up not having adequate control and crappy flying birds for a young pup. Made for a few month long mess to correct. He's a great looking pup!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 03/16/20
Yes, when they catch one or two it can be hard to work out with them. I was able to keep Bane from catching any during the various training days and tests. Its made it very easy with him.

Harvey had a great rabbit point yesterday, held it a long time. It was tracking training day for the older dogs in the chapter and he just tagged along for the ride. Looking to shoot a live bird over him soon. Always fun talking with fellow bird hunters at training days.

The spring VJP test is coming up the end of April. If there are any folks along the front range interested in learning more about Drahthaars, it would be a great opportunity to see them doing their thing. Shoot me a pm if interested.
Good deal and please keep sharing the updates!
Mine caught TWO Chunkers during VJP testing in Boise. Brought both to hand....alive....which I promptly handed to the Judge. I felt that was 12 material. Pup scored in the bottom 10 VJP dogs in the Nation. Extremely pist. We came back with a perfect 180 HZP tho.

Nice looking pup. Love the clean, one color faces.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 03/19/20
Nice HZP score there. I think the VJP is mostly geared towards helping the breeders see what traits the litter had via natural instinct testing. And a pup can just have a bad day. Bane passed his HZP really young and his style of delivery was marked down as that day he decided he didn't want to sit upon retrieve. Never get too wrapped up about scores based on a single day or two of testing. But the process turns out great dogs. I think it is one of the things that makes this breed special.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 05/17/20
Tired puppy day. Drove 5.5 hours to pickup pigeons and meet up with the kennel in Cheyenne. We trained Harvey and 2 of his sisters today. Started off with field work on a lead and after a few points, shot his first birds over him. He did a nice job actually of retrieving them. Moved on to some initial water work. He ended up completing a few water retrieves after learning he would not drown. Finished it up with a 100 yard rabbit track.

He's a good pup and I'm quite happy with his personality as well as his quick learning so far. More work to be done and about 4 months till sharptail season. We're on schedule. Harvey is the pup on the left.

Great looking pups!! Sounds like a banner training day, congrats!
Good looking pup.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 11/10/20
Update to how the summer went. Harvey broke a load bearing toe on his left front on June 1st. That started 6 weeks of splint and very limited activity. After that summer got kind of hot for most field work. So we started a bit behind where I was with Bane at that stage of his life. Harvey just retrieved his first duck and had his first pheasant retrieve though and we are very glad to be hunting. Couple of recent pics of the cousins in Nebraska. Looking forward to getting to Kansas soon. Harvey has been a great dog and glad that he and Bane are buddies.

Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 11/23/20
Interesting Kansas trip. Was getting into birds but had a weird eye injury involving a dried up sunflower. I cut trip short a day and got home to have eye doctor remove sunflower debris from my cornea. On the heal and back soon in the field. Dogs are working great and bird numbers are okay. Hope you guys are stacking them up. Pic is after first morning walk this weekend.
That sucks, hope your eye heals up!

Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 04/17/21
After a successful hunting season with Harvey, he just completed the VJP test here in Colorado. Put up a very solid score of 70 with 10s in each category. The older draht had a 74 in same test 3 years ago so Harv is holding in there nicely. He seems to be maturing slower than his cousin did but looking forward to a great fall again. Will train for HZP test but not sure I'll run him in it.

I’m doing research into this breed and I’m going to meet a local Breeder this weekend and I’m sure I can ask him but my girlfriend has 2 sub 10lb dogs. Should I be concerned about a drahthaar hurting them at all. My one buddy got turned off GWPs cause he had heard such things.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Got another Drahthaar coming - 05/18/21
Mine seem to recognize small dogs as small dogs and get along fine with them. I was concerned about bringing in an 8 week old pup with my 82 pound 3 year old. But kept a close eye on things for a bit and they are best friends and inseparable. Drahthaars will learn what you want quickly and since in this case the draht is coming in young, I'd bet that it worked out great. Pic of the little one laying basically on the big one.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
That’s good to hear! I’d hate for it to think they are chew toys. Especially since these Morkys cost well over 2000... and they don’t hunt lol
© 24hourcampfire