Home
Posted By: hookeye Wire hair daschund - 01/08/20
Watched a driven hunt on YT that was a cool lookin little dude.

Know diddly about them.

Havent had a dog forever.
Had shep/collie mix. Black lab. And a dane.

Fenced yard to play. But not huge. so inside dog w outside fun zone. Small breed

Wondering about how one would do for blood trailing, rabbits or squirrel. A buddy that gets to hunt some.

The ol lady wants a beagle. I want something different
Because in the end, it will be my dog wink
Posted By: hookeye Re: Wire hair daschund - 01/09/20
Well by golly..............

Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Wire hair daschund - 01/09/20
FN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a cool little doggy!!!! Good things come in small packages. That's a full package right there. Ya could carry im in your pack & have company when ya got to your spot. I'm pretty sure he could get there on his own but he may wander & scare game, don't know but he'd be good company for sure. Wife had a part basset part 56 hound & that one would run rabbits really well. She'd come around a tree & then the rest of her came later. Good hunting, Bill out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
Posted By: ingwe Re: Wire hair daschund - 01/09/20
No reason the wirehair wouldnt work...this smooth coat version-crossed with a bit of fox terrier- worked wonders for us in Africa....

Though I did have to kill a jackal that was going to eat his ass...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: hookeye Re: Wire hair daschund - 01/09/20
I like the little old man mustache look, and would try to train him to track deer.
If he sucked he'd just be my little buddy.
Haven't had a dog for a long time.

Pretty much decided if I get one, this is the type.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Wire hair daschund - 01/09/20
Teckel fanfare!!!!!!

Posted By: ingwe Re: Wire hair daschund - 01/09/20
Originally Posted by hookeye
I like the little old man mustache look, and would try to train him to track deer.
If he sucked he'd just be my little buddy.
Haven't had a dog for a long time.

Pretty much decided if I get one, this is the type.

You might be surprised how little training it takes...
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Wire hair daschund - 01/10/20
Originally Posted by hookeye
Watched a driven hunt on YT that was a cool lookin little dude.

Know diddly about them.

Havent had a dog forever.
Had shep/collie mix. Black lab. And a dane.

Fenced yard to play. But not huge. so inside dog w outside fun zone. Small breed

Wondering about how one would do for blood trailing, rabbits or squirrel. A buddy that gets to hunt some.

The ol lady wants a beagle. I want something different
Because in the end, it will be my dog wink

There is a breeder in NY(I believe) that raises them just for tracking deer. They are second to a bloodhound in that capacity

Here is a link

I owned one a few years back, he was tragically killed by a car speeding thru our neighborhood . That one hurt

Posted By: gunswizard Re: Wire hair daschund - 01/12/20
My guide's wire haired daschund found the buck I shot this fall in KY, started training him at 8wks. with a piece of liver tied on a string. Gus has been recovering deer ever since, saves a lot of searching the dog works the scent right up to the deer.
Posted By: Otter Re: Wire hair daschund - 02/23/20
This is really hard for me to comment on -

We had a WHD for over 5 years. Got her at about 10 weeks old from the local shelter, if she wasn't a pure-breed, she was within spitting distance. She was already chipped but had to wait until she was almost 6 mo old to have her spayed. She got sick one weekend and our Vet found she had issues with her liver and didn't give her much hope to survive much longer. Started her on a low protein diet and she recovered within a few weeks and then thrived. I made the mistake of leaving our fenced yard gate open long enough to put the mower away and she bolted before I got back to close it. We searched and searched for her with no positive results. The next morning we got a call from the shelter . . . she had been hit and killed by a car on a main street about a half mile from our house. That was just about 2 years ago and it still hurts to even think about her.

Ruby was very quick to learn and extremely loving. She was a house dog until she had a chance to run on her own frown. We had 5 other dogs and they were all really good with the others. Never even had a thought about using her as a squirrel or rabbit hunter or as a tracker, but I have no doubt she could have learned and been good at it.

Sorry to be such a downer - BUT if you get one, you won't regret the decision, even if (s)he is just a house dog !!!
Posted By: kenacp Re: Wire hair daschund - 02/24/20
Sorry for your loss Otter. I fear my 6 month old springer will run out into the street and get hit. So full of energy....
© 24hourcampfire