Home
I've had Labs for 51 years this summer. I love them and they get a lot of hunting and camping in every year. I have also always been attracted to GSPs and am considering adding one to the pack.

Coming from a Lab owner's perspective, what should I expect of a GSP?

I've been to a couple of breeders just looking at dogs so far. Any advice greatly appreciated.
I don't plan on running events with the dog. I most definitely do plan to hunt it upland and some waterfowl.
They are the Lab equivalent of the versatile breeds. I looked at GSPs when I was moving from Labs to pointing dogs. I ended up with a wirehair as I thought they were less common than they were

GSPs do most tasks very capably, there are a number of breeders and lines so one can find the characteristics desired somewhere. The only negative is they are not as capable of retriever as a Lab in regards to big water in cold conditions nor are they as good as a Lab in multiple marks. Being a pointing dog, they are a little more independent and may not take handling for blind retrieves as well as a Lab. Not that they can't do the task but they often wish to do it their way rather than yours.

My standard advice is to look up NAVHDA chapters in your neighborhood and join one. You do not need a dog (I was a member for 2 years before I got my first GWP) but the experience and contacts you get helping at training and tests is invaluable. You will learn more at a single training session than you will in a year on your own. Easily. It may be that you will find testing to be very enjoyable and it is a very good way of discovering shortcomings in your training program. It also pushes you and your dog to a point a little further than you thought capable which makes both of you better in the field.
Appreciate the reply, woodmaster81. There is a breeder nearby who specializes in NAVHDA and I've been out to his place a couple of years ago.
Having owned labs and GSP's in the past. GSp's require a lot more exercise and a bit more high strung. I think a higher prey drive. I took both my labs and GSp's hiking and camping, fishing. The GSP's ranged obviously quite a bit farther out when hiking and hunting ( I always had a back up collar on them) and tended to wander in camp if not tied up. I have witnessed quite a few run away from owners if not trained enough/ correctly and watched. I think tougher than labs to train. . As with any breed good genetics and lots of training are key.

Both very good breeds. And good idea checking in with NAVHDA.
Thanks ribka.
I've been looking in to Deutsche Kurzhaar. I like the idea of standardized, proven breeding. Not a lot of breeders near me (western Oregon).
DK are great dogs. Been around a few and was very impressed. Good luck.
Thanks 30338. I've been talking to breeders, reading up, etc.
I have owned Labs for 25 years and GSPs for 20 years. Labs want to please are are easy to train. GSP want to know why and are more difficult to train, but equally as intelligent as Labs. I use my GSP not only for upland hunting, but retrieving ducks in mild weather and dove. They are excellent swimmers and usually very soft mouthed when retrieving. GSP are smaller and lighter than your typical Lab and shed less. GSP take the heat better, but suffer in cold weather unless they are working or have good shelter. GSP take more exercise and work than Labs, but also have more endurance for pursuing upland game. GSP make decent retrievers but Labs are better. GSP have better noses, but don't mark downed birds as well as Labs do. GSP do not chew or dig as bad as Labs do. GSP live a few years longer on average than Labs do. I work mine as a pair when upland or dove hunting and during fair weather duck hunts. Both can be taught to blood trail and find antlers. Both are family and kid friendly-although some GSP bond with only one person. I love them both, but if could only have one breed it would be GSP at this time because I am not as avid a duck hunter as I once was and spend more time chasing pheasant and quail.
Appreciate that, PWN.
Since you're used to labs, I'd recommend trying to find a GSP breeder that specializes in close(er) working foot-hunting dogs and avoid anything with field trial lines. Field trial GSPs are bred to be hunt from horseback and have some serious run/range in their blood and might not feel like a good fit after having close working dogs for so long. I love watching my GSPs cover a field WAY out of gun range but that's definitely not for everybody. Either way you go, they're all couch potatoes inside and great family dogs IME.

Here's a pic of our sweet little girl from today. She gets so excited when she sees a gun she'll just sit there and stare (or paw) at it until you pick it up!!
[Linked Image]
Nebraska,
Great pic!
It is my impression that the DK dogs are bred for foot hunters and work closer in. Seem accurate to you?
Those DK dogs look like really good dogs!

One of the top trainers, Dan Hoke, from Dunfur Kennels out of WA would be where I'd start looking if I was out your way. I see his name associated with a ton of championship dogs and was the handler for the sire to my GSP at the 2017 U.S. Shooting Dog Invitational. The sire to my pup, Big Rock V Kobe was the first GSP to be invited to that event so that was a pretty big deal for both of them and quite an honor to get that invitation.

Dan Hoke - Dunfur Kennels 509-299-5181
I just gave Dan a call to inquire about a stud or possible pup and he said he's heading to a trial in Oregon so it might be a good time to give him a call. Never talked to him before that and he was very friendly and is sending me some info......
Appreciate the tip Nebraska, thank you
you should know that many GSP's can be killin' machines. I had an old male (possibly the best pure bird dog I've ever been around, now deceased) and a female that I still have that would kill Groundhogs, possums, coons, and literally decimated an entire flock of a neighbor's chickens. That said, GSP's are the only breed I'll ever own.
The second GSP I had was raised in our house because her mother died when the pup was 4 weeks old. At the time my oldest daughter had 2 cats in the house. Those damned cat terrorized that pup and used to beat the crap out of her. When she was about half grown she got tired of that crap and started putting the cats on the fun. For the next 15 years she got her revenge on every cat she saw. We moved to a farm a few years later and lived next to a crazy cat lady who had about 50 strays she was feeding. Over the next few months my dog reduced that population down to about 6. She was a cat killing machine and even tried her best to catch a Bobcat one time.
Two completely different dogs and hunting styles. I've owned GSP's and English Pointers for over 50 years. My upland style of hunting of hunting is to use a wide and long ranging GSP that covers a lot of ground very fast and doesn't miss birds. Labs are more laid back (IMO) with a slower more methodical style. I have buddies that have great waterfowl labs, especially in really cold weather. I'm thinking if you are a lab guy, you might not like a GSP, you should try hunting over one at a preserve to see how you like it. GSP's were bred from 16 different breeds of dogs including bloodhounds, that's why they have such good noses. I'm partial to GSP's.

One buddy of mine used his English Pointer to find and point birds and then he sends the lab in to flush and retrieve the birds, it works pretty well.
I've had 4 chocolate labs and now have a GSP. For the most part, their personalities are similar in my opinion. The GSP was VERY strong willed as a pup (up to 12 months), but after some training and working with him, he has turned into one of the best dogs I've ever had. Extremely smart and loyal. LOTS of energy, but at the same time his favorite spot in the house is asleep in the chair with me. Ours is just a family dog and he excels at that. but, he would be a great bird dog no doubt.

This pic is from last weekend, he will be 2 yrs old in late October. He Loves the water, more-so than any of my previous labs.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
They are the Lab equivalent of the versatile breeds. I looked at GSPs when I was moving from Labs to pointing dogs. I ended up with a wirehair as I thought they were less common than they were

GSPs do most tasks very capably, there are a number of breeders and lines so one can find the characteristics desired somewhere. The only negative is they are not as capable of retriever as a Lab in regards to big water in cold conditions nor are they as good as a Lab in multiple marks. Being a pointing dog, they are a little more independent and may not take handling for blind retrieves as well as a Lab. Not that they can't do the task but they often wish to do it their way rather than yours.

My standard advice is to look up NAVHDA chapters in your neighborhood and join one. You do not need a dog (I was a member for 2 years before I got my first GWP) but the experience and contacts you get helping at training and tests is invaluable. You will learn more at a single training session than you will in a year on your own. Easily. It may be that you will find testing to be very enjoyable and it is a very good way of discovering shortcomings in your training program. It also pushes you and your dog to a point a little further than you thought capable which makes both of you better in the field.

NAVHDA is the way to going! Great advice.
© 24hourcampfire