Home
Posted By: BobinNH Hunting in France - 11/27/10
To Our European Members:

Business may have me spending time in France,about 1.5 hours outside Paris if the entire arrangement comes to pass....and I've been informed of the existence of hunting "leases" on the property where I will be staying...

I am curious and wonder what types of hunting opportunities may exist there(?)

Thanks for any information any one can provide. smile
Posted By: DesertGhost Re: Hunting in France - 11/27/10
hunting in France? :? that smelly country doesnt have any game, they all hightailed ass away from the stink. either that or it will be so easy to walk up to them cause you dont stink and use a knife. . . . . damn frogs!
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Hunting in France - 11/27/10
That was helpful..
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Hunting in France - 11/27/10
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
That was helpful..

Rancho: Yeah, huh? grin Class act don't ya think? crazy
Posted By: Pete E Re: Hunting in France - 11/27/10
Depending where you are in France, I would guess the most likely game available will be Roe Red or wild boar..In Europe there is usually a fair amount of red tape around hunting, so you'd need to do your research carefully. The other noteable thing about France is they don't allow military calibers..

From the little I know, the whole thing is a bit hit and miss as I've heard of some folks getting turned back with a .308win while others have been let in..I guess its why the 7x64mm is so popular of there!
Thanks Pete! I figured there were boars somewhere in the mix.The roe deer would be interesting animals to me.

I have no plans to bring a rifle myself,if I go(January), but thank you for that info....I had no plans to hunt,yet but you never know because the opportunity could be open to me.

I wonder if there is any birdhunting? And what species might be there.
Posted By: grand_veneur Re: Hunting in France - 11/27/10
Main big games in France are roe deer, wild boar and red stag but depending on the area you can find mufflon, chamoix or fallow deer.

Bird hunting and small game: hare, rabbit, pheasant, grey partridge, red partridge, woodcock, ducks, geeses and many many birds available only in France.

grand veneur: Thank you! Interesting....I am curious now of what I might see there.
Posted By: grand_veneur Re: Hunting in France - 11/27/10
1.5 hours outside Paris, in which direction ?
I am not sure yet..... confused This is all I know so far...
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Hunting in France - 11/28/10
Can't use any army rounds in France.No 30-06, 7-57, 303 Brit ect.For you Bob you can take my STW.
Posted By: hatari Re: Hunting in France - 11/28/10
The French are very keen small game hunters, and they can make a festival out of hare and rabbit hunting. Take advantage of the opportunity. The lunch and after hunt feast are more important than the hunt. Wild boar and roe deer are plentiful.
Posted By: grand_veneur Re: Hunting in France - 11/28/10
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I am not sure yet..... confused This is all I know so far...

It could be useful to know ... Even Brussels is 1.5 Hours away from Paris with the train grin
Posted By: klondike_mike Re: Hunting in France - 11/28/10
Forget hunting. Go to Liege, Belgium for the Musee de'Arms, the chocolate and the beer. Don't miss the beer. Mike
Posted By: grand_veneur Re: Hunting in France - 11/29/10
Why choose when it's possible to get everything ? grin
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Hunting in France - 11/29/10
Guys, thanks for all the input! I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes available over there,and if things go as planned my first trip will be sometime in January.

I will most definately pay a lot of attention to the food and the beer.I was a bit surprised to learn that there is a great deal of agricultural land there;that the cities are crowded but lots of openspace in the country.

Boars and roe deer sound very cool!
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Hunting in France - 11/30/10
I was impressed by all the agricultural land in France as well. We traveled to France from England and Belgium and then from Paris to Normandy and it reminded me of Indiana and Michigan at times.

Enjoy the beer especially a fresh Kronenbourg and the Dutch and Belgium beers. Don't forget the wines and I would suggest a wine tasting.

Enjoy France, I was pleasantly surprised. If you have any questions feel free to pm.

ddj
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Hunting in France - 12/02/10
trouthunter Thanks! i will for sure keep eyes peeled for the wine and food....I owuld like to kill something and cook it....the European folks understand that stuff real well, I guess. smile
Posted By: Pugs Re: Hunting in France - 12/02/10
trouthunter Thanks! i will for sure keep eyes peeled for the wine and food....I owuld like to kill something and cook it....the European folks understand that stuff real well, I guess. smile

They do. Keep in mind that in most of Europe and in the UK that game can still be sold for the market. I had a venison burger at a pub in northern UK last trip that was very good. Went back and talked to the cook and it had come from a hunt in Scotland. He thought the heather diet made them better. It was different than most US venison, much more like Axis deer, and very good.

So, play your card right and at least you get to eat some game over there.
Posted By: bluefin1 Re: Hunting in France - 12/02/10
Originally Posted by DesertGhost
hunting in France? :? that smelly country doesnt have any game, they all hightailed ass away from the stink. either that or it will be so easy to walk up to them cause you dont stink and use a knife. . . . . damn frogs!

I rather enjoyed my short time in France. Folks in Paris are no different than our NY yankee brethren. smile
It's attitudes like this that make us look bad and visitors to be closed minded.

Hope you're able to get out and do a hunt for whatever game. I'd be interested in a followup to you excursion and hear how your hunt went and your thoughts on the 'after hunt'.
Posted By: LongRanger Re: Hunting in France - 12/03/10
As a North American I would definitely go out of my way to hunt woodcock in Europe, which I understand are twice the size of the ones we have here. Wonder if that makes them any easier to hit!!
Posted By: grand_veneur Re: Hunting in France - 12/03/10
Aaaaaargh those woodcocks, they dodge like hell but taste like heaven ...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Hunting in France - 12/04/10
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
Aaaaaargh those woodcocks, they dodge like hell but taste like heaven ...

[Linked Image]

They forgot to clean the damn thing.....
Posted By: grand_veneur Re: Hunting in France - 12/04/10
No sir, you NEVER clean a woodcock. It empties itself when takin off. Cook the full bird in the oven, above a bread toast covered with fresh foie gras, when the bird is ready, it opens and cleans itself ans it's the sauce on the toast.

That's how connoisseurs eat it.

But I admit, you can change the beer for an excellent wine.

Posted By: BobinNH Re: Hunting in France - 12/04/10
Grand Veneur: Wow that woodcock looks big!Chimay is good,too wink

I like Duvel for Belgian Ale.....my favorite.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Hunting in France - 12/04/10
New Belgium Brewery has a Belgian style seasonal beer called "Tripple." It's pretty good; having one now.

A hunt in France would be the perfect occasion for a drilling grin
Posted By: WTF Re: Hunting in France - 12/04/10

Well, it might be good eating, but it still needs dressed.
I dont reckon I could stomach something looking like that on my plate.
No offense intended.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Hunting in France - 12/04/10
Oregon: My hosts are European and wii figure out how we get firearms to hunt with....I don't even know what will be in season when I get there.....just have to figure it allout a bit at a time.

I am not going there to hunt per se,so it's a secondary consideration right now.
Posted By: grand_veneur Re: Hunting in France - 12/04/10
Originally Posted by WTF

No offense intended.

grin

I can dress it another way but ... the original reciepe is mandatory grin I can't find a better way to enjoy a woodcock grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: steffen Re: Hunting in France - 12/04/10
Originally Posted by WTF

No offense intended.

i figure the south-west Norwegian speciality, smalahove isn't something for you then.

but i kind of agree, they could at least remove the head and feets.

Posted By: Brad Re: Hunting in France - 12/05/10
Bob, I've spent a fair bit of time in France... really, once you get outside of Paris it's a wonderful, rural country with great people.

Aside, this year I sold an M70 part to a farmer from France on ebay... he's an absolute Winchester 70 nut! Was great corresponding with him...

Aside, aside, the only reason I can conceive owning a 7-08 is if I were wanting to hunt in France...(grin).

Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Hunting in France - 12/05/10
Rural France is beautiful and the wood cock looks delicious.

ddj
Posted By: grand_veneur Re: Hunting in France - 12/05/10
Originally Posted by Brad

Aside, this year I sold an M70 part to a farmer from France on ebay... he's an absolute Winchester 70 nut! Was great corresponding with him...

Aren't you talking about Jean-Pol, from the Marne ?????
Posted By: Brad Re: Hunting in France - 12/05/10
Originally Posted by Brad

Aren't you talking about Jean-Pol, from the Marne ?????

That might be him... his ebay handle is blackbird51600
Posted By: grand_veneur Re: Hunting in France - 12/05/10
Arf grin That's his zip code, it's certainly the same grin He's also a Leupold addicted cool

Next Week end we'll hunt together in Verdun then Mourmelon.

Originally Posted by steffen
Originally Posted by WTF

No offense intended.

i figure the south-west Norwegian speciality, smalahove isn't something for you then.

but i kind of agree, they could at least remove the head and feets.

Could probably remove the innards as well.

Alan
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Hunting in France - 12/06/10
Brad: Do they use 270 M70's there? grin

If I can find one of them, I'm right at home.....fat city!
Posted By: Brad Re: Hunting in France - 12/06/10

Hah... am sure they do!

Posted By: Brad Re: Hunting in France - 12/06/10
Arf grin That's his zip code, it's certainly the same grin He's also a Leupold addicted cool

Next Week end we'll hunt together in Verdun then Mourmelon.

You tell him hello from me... (he bought an M70 rear sight).

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!
Posted By: grand_veneur Re: Hunting in France - 12/06/10
Thanks, Brad, and I'll tell your hello to JP, the guy who convinced me to go for a M70 when looking for a safari rifle model.
Posted By: WTF Re: Hunting in France - 12/06/10

Sportsmans Warehouse...$659
Their Paris store might not be open yet. grin

Couldnt help it.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Hunting in France - 12/06/10

Happy Birthday GV
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Hunting in France - 12/06/10
Originally Posted by WTF

Sportsmans Warehouse...$659
Their Paris store might not be open yet. grin

Couldnt help it.

WTF: Wize azz.................... grin

GV: Joyeux Anniversaire!!! smile
Posted By: grand_veneur Re: Hunting in France - 12/07/10
Thank you guys smile
Posted By: WTF Re: Hunting in France - 12/12/10
I was just in one of those moods.
Posted By: grand_veneur Re: Hunting in France - 12/13/10
Hey guys, I spent the whole W-E hunting in France, Verdun (right on the battleground), then The Marne (Mourmelon).

Great time with the French friends, excellent hunts, friendship, food and drinks ...

Also great places in history.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8253/insoliteboirejk7.jpg[/img]

grin
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Hunting in France - 12/13/10
No offense guys but european hunters do have style. They look like they are meant for an LL Bean or Filson catalog.

ddj
Posted By: grand_veneur Re: Hunting in France - 12/13/10
I'd prefer to avoid that blaze orange fashion, mandatory on that military ground blush

Just caught some pictures from a friend

Hey, Brad, you know that man with the blaze orange topped hat, with me, next to the boar ! wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/8452/dsc0591w.jpg[/img]
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Hunting in France - 12/14/10
GV: Fabulous!

They use orange over there,too!Looks like quite the social event.

I loved all the food and wine!
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Hunting in France - 12/14/10
Great pictures GV.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Hunting in France - 12/14/10
Looking down from the jet landing in Munich last Saturday I saw numerous stands in the fields and a row of hunters and dogs walking in a line abreast in the snow across one field. Couldn't see much cover in the field so don't know what they were hunting but it could have been a scene out of Iowa.
Posted By: LongRanger Re: Hunting in France - 12/14/10
Looks like a bunch of Cajuns, just dressed neater!
Posted By: Bretton Re: Hunting in France - 12/14/10
Thank you Grand Veneur for the pics!

Quote: "Looks like a bunch of Cajuns, just dressed neater!"
What is it with the French aversion anyway? Could you explain so we can understand?
A Frenchman in Nebraska winter.
Posted By: grand_veneur Re: Hunting in France - 12/14/10
I have a theory ... Snails and frogs must be some kinds of holy creatures in the US grin I'm quite a sinner myself blush
I'd eat them! And I have...... smile
Mourmelon is a very special place, military camp in The Marne, they drive the game on very very large areas at a time, so they have around 200 riflemen to surround the drived zone. It means they have dozens of beaters and hounds too. They shoot the roe deers, red stags and foxes but the wild boar is the star.

In my area we use to hunt quite smaller areas with 20 to 30 rifles at a time.
Wow!You never see anything like that here!

There must be a lot of game.

What rifles are most in use?
My personal choice is NOT typical so I can say what I see but it's only personal comprehension: 8*57 JRS and 9.3x74 r double rifles, Browning BAR and the like SA rifles (mostly Mag and short mag cal), various bolt actions (CZ, Sauer, Mauser action, Winchester 70, Tikka, Sako ... in the 7*64 - 9.3*62 caliber range) ...

Among the beaters you see short barrel shotguns, lever action Marlins (.444, 45-70), Pump action (remington 7600 in 35 Wh or .280 rem), mostly to solve fights between the hounds and big boars when it's safer than the dagger/ba�onet style.

Some use browning BLR, combination guns ... I use to take my .375 mod. 70 safari express.

Heavy rifle bullet is for me the best choice on driven game, because of the adrenaline shots of the game and the shooting angle (mostly 3/4 rear shots)

Old 06 is becoming popular in Belgium as an all-purpose rifle caliber but those ex-military calibers or closely linked to military caliber rounds are forbidden on the french hunting grounds. So you don't see excellent medicines such as the old 06, 303 brit, 308 win, 8*57 and 7*57 mauser, 6.5*55 swedish ...
GV: Interesting....thanks!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Hunting in France - 12/14/10

What"s to hunt in France besides "babes" and "wine"??
Read on page 1
Originally Posted by jwp475

What"s to hunt in France besides "babes" and "wine"??

Well,what else do you really need? smile
Posted By: Brad France - 12/15/10

Hey, Brad, you know that man with the blaze orange topped hat, with me, next to the boar !

[Linked Image]

He looks like as nice a guy as I'd imagined from corresponding with him... hope you gave him my warmest regards!

Brad

PS, GREAT pics and input GV
No sir, you NEVER clean a woodcock. It empties itself when takin off. Cook the full bird in the oven, above a bread toast covered with fresh foie gras, when the bird is ready, it opens and cleans itself ans it's the sauce on the toast.

That's how connoisseurs eat it.

But I admit, you can change the beer for an excellent wine.

Oh boy! Uh, thanks GV but that's a little too "native" for me--the head, the feet, and that "sauce" that isn't really s a u c e....is it
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Hunting in France - 12/15/10

[Linked Image]

grin
[/quote]

GV! Now that's funny!!!!!!!!! grin

Kaywoodie
© 24hourcampfire