Home
Posted By: williamlayton RIVER CRUISES - 01/02/13
If any of you boys have never done a river cruise thru Europe---you are missing a lot.
There are a good number of cruises by different companies, with a lot of routes. I used Viking River cruises &it was a fun venture.
Blessings
Posted By: chance Re: RIVER CRUISES - 01/02/13
We were talking about doing one and were looking at Viking. Which river cruise did you take and what time of the year did you go?
Posted By: blairvt Re: RIVER CRUISES - 01/02/13
I went on a day long Rhine River cruise. Probably not what yu are talking about, but is was beautiful
Posted By: williamlayton Re: RIVER CRUISES - 01/03/13
We went from Budapest---beautiful city--to Amsterdam. 15 days and two night in Amsterdam-----don't even ask, it is a secret.
Good Time--Good food--lots of stops and plenty of free time if you choose.
All stops re within walking (short) distance back to the boat, if you wanted to opt out of a tour and just do a town on your own. Another beautiful castle another bloody catherderal.
First class, all the way.
you got to try the smoked beer.
Blessings
Posted By: williamlayton Re: RIVER CRUISES - 01/03/13
BTW
It was July and HOT in Budapest---but as we went up river it got cool quickly and some places required a jacket to be comfortable.
Blessings
Posted By: fish head Re: RIVER CRUISES - 01/06/13
Originally Posted by blairvt
I went on a day long Rhine River cruise. Probably not what yu are talking about, but is was beautiful

Same here and it was awesome. The castles on the hillsides, the one in the river, vineyards, quaint towns, leftovers from WW 11 ... all of it was spectacular.
Posted By: Wacenturion Re: RIVER CRUISES - 01/07/13
Went to Wurzburg American High School in the 60's...closed now. Spent a lot of time down near the river and otherwise, and all over Germany. Had our Junior Prom up in the Wurzburg Castle. Those were the days....legal drinking age...16. American Graffiti had nothing on us.
Posted By: bucktales Re: RIVER CRUISES - 01/07/13
Never was on the Rhine, but I have been to Kloster Weltenburg in Bavaria.
Wicked good food and some of the best beers I've had followed by a relaxing boat ride on the Donau.
Kloster Weltenburg
Posted By: williamlayton Re: RIVER CRUISES - 01/10/13
I think the travel is the destination. The good about the cruise is you unpack one time. We has a small room but only slept there---it was neat and clean we had a window.
Being an early riser--I sat on the deck with the field glass's and cigs til we got to a port.
The tours were all guided, in english with great tour busses.
I paricularly enjoyed walking the streets after the tours were over.
Got some good cigars & good beer & wine.
I want to do it again.
Blessings
Posted By: HughW Re: RIVER CRUISES - 01/11/13
We are headed over in August for Istanbul to Amsterdam on the Danube. This will be our first river cruise (other than the Amazon which was a 450 passenger ship). What type of gear do you take - generally casual - jeans or?? rain coats, hiking short and boots?

We have cruised the large ships in various locations so I would be interested in hearing the differences.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: williamlayton Re: RIVER CRUISES - 01/14/13
Sorry for the late reply---it can get cool in th mountains---casual is good---can get rain & cool---lots of folks were dressy casual----I wore jeans a lot.
Take some jackets.
Blessings
Posted By: safariman Re: RIVER CRUISES - 01/15/13
Sherri and I took the River Cloud ll down the Danube a couple of years back. Just astounding as to food, accomodations, and scenery. We could not offer a high enough praise for the way Sea Cloud/River Cloud adventures treats and takes care of its travellers. I also was on the Sea Cloud about 10 years ago for a cruise of the West Indies. Also just an amazing trip. In fact, for a pure high end vacation - and I have been to the Atlantis Resort three times - I have to say that the Sea Cloud and River Cloud trips were head and shoulders above the rest.

© 24hourcampfire