Home
Posted By: kid0917 Puffin Hunting? - 02/20/19
I just learned that puffin are hunted in Iceland, both with nets and also conventional shotgunning.
Has anyone here tried it?
Posted By: Hubert Re: Puffin Hunting? - 02/20/19
Why would anyone hunt a Puffin?
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Puffin Hunting? - 02/20/19
Icelanders eat them!
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: Puffin Hunting? - 02/20/19
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Puffin Hunting? - 02/21/19
I'd think they'd taste like schit. Kinda on the same level as mergansers. I guess if you're hungry enough though...
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Puffin Hunting? - 02/21/19
In Iceland November of '17 I looked into bird hunting and puffin was very legal and doable. Many restaurants had it on the menu and many tourist traps sold mounted puffins. At $50 a plate I was not about to try it. I will see if I can figure out how to get photos off my phone to post.
Oh, they seem very proud of their willingness to eat ANYTHING!
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Puffin Hunting? - 02/21/19
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Well I'll eat anything, but I don't have to, so I don't! laugh
Posted By: Fanofthefortyone Re: Puffin Hunting? - 02/21/19
I saw this and thought about kiviak.

https://vimeo.com/96173473

Ronnie
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Puffin Hunting? - 02/21/19
If you can eat a merganser you shouldn't have any problem stomaching a puffin....up here in Michigan there so many cormorants there needs to be a hunting season they taste like a puffin....
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
I'd think they'd taste like schit. Kinda on the same level as mergansers. I guess if you're hungry enough though...

I would bet puffins make mergansers taste like veal.
Posted By: crshelton Re: Puffin Hunting? - 02/21/19
coyotewacker,

Do not like cormorants? That reminds me of and old East Texas hunting buddy who called them "water turkeys" and killed every one of them that he saw. Pistol, Rifle or shotgun - he would blast away in his attempt to rid Texas of the ugly things.

He passed on some years ago and I do not know who took up the torch to rid the state of them.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Puffin Hunting? - 02/22/19
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

I would bet puffins make mergansers taste like veal.

They used to hunt and eat loons in Chesapeake Bay, now THAT I would not want to try either,
Posted By: 1minute Re: Puffin Hunting? - 02/24/19
No experience with puffin, but on a Snake River outing many years back we scored a very mixed duck bag. Mallard, pintail, gadwall, green wing teal, ring neck, golden eye, and a background coot that fell from the sky. We keep everything sorted and IDed during dressing, cooking, and serving, and the only universal rejection among 6 diners was the green wing teal. Even the coot got a passing grade, but I must admit we each received the smallest of shares on that one. I think one could score more volume from a robin.
Posted By: Troubleshooter Re: Puffin Hunting? - 02/25/19
Two words: "Puffin McNuggets" laugh
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Puffin Hunting? - 02/28/19
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter

Easily confused with Fish McSandwiches?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Puffin Hunting? - 02/28/19
Originally Posted by 1minute
No experience with puffin, but on a Snake River outing many years back we scored a very mixed duck bag. Mallard, pintail, gadwall, green wing teal, ring neck, golden eye, and a background coot that fell from the sky. We keep everything sorted and IDed during dressing, cooking, and serving, and the only universal rejection among 6 diners was the green wing teal. Even the coot got a passing grade, but I must admit we each received the smallest of shares on that one. I think one could score more volume from a robin.

Location, location, location...

Kodiak seaducks are mostly a bit fishy and only edible if you really insist on following the letter of the law...

But none of them are as bad as Kodiak mallards! The mallards eat nothing but salmon eggs for most of the season and are flat-out worse than any merganser, cormorant, or seaduck!!!
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Puffin Hunting? - 02/28/19

I bet they'd change their adventurous ways of eating anything if Over-the Hillary was available. I bet that is really fishy tasting.
Posted By: Konnari Re: Puffin Hunting? - 03/01/19
I have hunted them several times and they are great eating both cooked and smoked. We have been eating these burds for centuries
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Puffin Hunting? - 03/01/19
I have a growing desire to visit your country, maybe a retirement gift to myself next year or two. Do you know of a camper rental company that would be desirable?
Posted By: Konnari Re: Puffin Hunting? - 03/01/19
I see alot of these campers around: https://www.kukucampers.is
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Puffin Hunting? - 03/01/19
Thanks! I would like to spend a month on the trip, I have a new friend here in the US who is visiting from Iceland and am cautioned it is cold there and expensive! But I lived 6 years in Alaska, and really enjoyed it there.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Puffin Hunting? - 03/04/19
Bump to clear spam off of the homepage
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Puffin Hunting? - 03/04/19
Originally Posted by kid0917
Thanks! I would like to spend a month on the trip, I have a new friend here in the US who is visiting from Iceland and am cautioned it is cold there and expensive! But I lived 6 years in Alaska, and really enjoyed it there.

I believe we saw a parking lot with a ton of those vans lined up. We were there in November of 17.

Did someone mention expensive?
Posted By: 1minute Re: Puffin Hunting? - 03/04/19
Seems when one gets to the extreme northern climes, regardless of continent, that culinary tastes get quite a bit broader. Get a year with no summer, a disruption in food stock migration patterns, or no restocking shipments, and one will head to the garbage pit to get by. No one settled the Antarctic coasts but readings on the diets in our northern extremes implied that if it was organic it was edible regardless of level of decay.

Our parents, or most likely our grandparents that went through the depression era wasted little to nothing. Animal pieces and parts that are relegated to bologna or hot dogs destinies now days were served up as prime table fare when folks had no money.

Today, most US households likely waste enough to keep a third world house hold fat.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Puffin Hunting? - 03/06/19
Many of the gift shops in Reykjavik have these for sale, Of course you would not be allowed to bring them to the US...

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13628596#Post13628596[/img]
Only took an hour or three to get this image this far. God I hate that system!
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13628596#Post13628596[/img]
Still zero love here!
Posted By: Fanofthefortyone Re: Puffin Hunting? - 03/06/19
Here it is,
[Linked Image]

Ronnie
thank you!
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Puffin Hunting? - 03/06/19
Clearly, young Zimmern was the last picked for any pick-up sports games in the park.

Pity there is no season for them in Maine...

http://www.mainebirdingtrail.com/Puffins.html
I have seen decks littered with them in the morning. Like moths they fly into deck lights...
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Puffin Hunting? - 03/07/19
Originally Posted by Konnari
I have hunted them several times and they are great eating both cooked and smoked. We have been eating these burds for centuries

Have you tried merganser?

I have thrown cooking teal away that stank up the house during cooking. They had been living a month or two on a central Texas lake eating minnows i suppose.

Now those killed in Sept in the rice farm country are quite another matter.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Puffin Hunting? - 03/07/19
I’ve caught Puffins a few times, mostly jigging darts but a time or 2 mooching. They don’t put up much of a fight until they’re OUT of the water and trying to fly away. You don’t expect your gear to go from 80 feet below sea level to 80 feet above sea level in under a second, 😂
Posted By: GrouseChaser Re: Puffin Hunting? - 03/07/19
Originally Posted by kid0917
I just learned that puffin are hunted in Iceland, both with nets and also conventional shotgunning.
Has anyone here tried it?

I sounds like it might fairly soon become a lost tradition. Many seabird colonies in the North Atlantic appears to be failing.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/uncertain-future-puffin-dinner-180961829/
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Puffin Hunting? - 05/11/19
Just stumbled on this dog and I had no idea there was a puffin dog!

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/norwegian-lundehund/

Home Dog Breeds Norwegian Lundehund
Norwegian Lundehund
OVERVIEW
PUPPIES
BREED STANDARD
Temperament:
Loyal, Energetic, Alert
AKC Breed Popularity: Ranks 191 of 193
Height: 13-15 inches (male), 12-14 inches (female)
Weight: 20-30 pounds
Life Expectancy: 12-15 years
Group: Non-Sporting Group
From Norway’s rocky island of Vaeroy, the uniquely constructed Norwegian Lundehund is the only dog breed created for the job of puffin hunting. With puffins now a protected species, today’s Lundehund is a friendly, athletic companion.

ABOUT
AKC PUPPYFINDER
CARE
HISTORY
DID YOU KNOW?
BREED STANDARD
OTHER BREEDS TO EXPLORE
About the Norwegian Lundehund
At a glance, Lundehunds seem a typical northern breed: A spitz type with triangular ears, curving tail, and a dense double coat. But a closer look reveals several unique traits. They have feet with at least six fully functioning toes and extra paw pads, an “elastic neck” that can crane back so the head touches the spine, ears that fold shut, and flexible shoulders that allow forelegs to extend to the side, perpendicular to the body. This last anomaly produces the breed’s distinctive “rotary” gait.

National Breed Clubs and Rescue
Want to connect with other people who love the same breed as much as you do? We have plenty of opportunities to get involved in your local community, thanks to AKC Breed Clubs located in every state, and more than 450 AKC Rescue Network groups across the country.
NORWEGIAN LUNDEHUND ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA RESCUE LINK
Tools

Care
NUTRITION
GROOMING
EXERCISE
TRAINING
HEALTH
The Norwegian Lundehund should do well on a high-quality dog food, whether commercially manufactured or home-prepared with your veterinarian’s supervision and approval. Any diet should be appropriate to the dog’s age (puppy, adult, or senior). Some dogs are prone to getting overweight, so watch your dog’s calorie consumption and weight level. Treats can be an important aid in training, but giving too many can cause obesity. Learn about which human foods are safe for dogs, and which are not. Check with your vet if you have any concerns about your dog’s weight or diet. Clean, fresh water should be available at all times.

Norwegian Lundehund

History
For centuries Lundehunds were bred on Vaeroy, a remote and rocky island off the Norwegian coast. Puffins nest in crevices in the island’s cliff walls. Islanders depended on pickled puffin meat to sustain them through long Arctic winters, and the strong, flexible Lundehund was the only way to reach them. These compact puffin dogs would climb the sheer rock walls, worm their way into tiny passages, and snatch the birds. Then they’d skid down the cliffs, with the squawking, flapping prize in their mouth.

The Breed Standard
GENERAL APPEARANCE
The Norwegian Lundehund is a small rectangular and agile Spitz breed with unique characteristics not found in any other breed. Originating on remote islands of arctic Norway, the dog was used to wrestle and retrieve live puffin birds from the crevices of steep vertical cliffs. To enable the dog to climb, descend, and brake on these cliffs, unique structural characteristics have evolved and must be present as they define this breed: a minimum of six toes on each foot and elongated rear foot pads; an elastic neck that allows the head to bend backward to touch the spine, letting the dog turn around in narrow puffin bird caves; and shoulders flexible enough to allow the front legs to extend flat to the side in order to hug the cliffs. This shoulder structure produces a peculiar rotary movement. Finally, the ears close and fold forward or backward to protect from debris. The temperament is alert but not expected to be outgoing toward strangers.

FULL BREED STANDARD
1 2 3 4 5 6

Colors & Markings
Colors
DESCRIPTION STANDARD COLORS REGISTRATION CODE
Black
Check Mark For Standard Color
Gray
Reddish Brown
White
Yellow
Sable & White 165
Markings
DESCRIPTION STANDARD MARKINGS REGISTRATION CODE
Black Markings
Check Mark For Standard Mark
Black Tips
Gray Markings
White Markings
Posted By: jpb Re: Puffin Hunting? - 05/12/19
Just stumbled on this dog and I had no idea there was a puffin dog!

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/norwegian-lundehund/

A friend of mine got one of these dogs, and I thought the canine was so odd that I did a bit of research.

The have 6 real toes on every foot! Traction on the rockly ledges! laugh
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It has a number of features to allow it to get into tiny tunnels and crevices as it hunt the puffins.

The Lundehund’s forelegs bend outwards so far that the dog can lay flat on its chest to wriggle into small spaces.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The dogs neck and spine are extremely flexible, so they can turn around in the smallest spaces! I can't think of another mammal that can touch the top of its head to its spine.
[Linked Image]

Continued on another post...

John
Posted By: jpb Re: Puffin Hunting? - 05/12/19
The breed is sort of a spitz dog and has the characteristic upright ears.
[Linked Image]

BUT a Lundehund has additonal muscles in its ears so it can close them and keep dirt and wter out as it crawls into burrows and wet places. No ear infections!
[Linked Image]

Apparently there are less than a thousand of this breed worldwide.

Based on the single one that I know they have a great friendly personality too!

John
Posted By: ribka Re: Puffin Hunting? - 05/15/19
Originally Posted by jpb
The breed is sort of a spitz dog and has the characteristic upright ears.
[Linked Image]

BUT a Lundehund has additonal muscles in its ears so it can close them and keep dirt and wter out as it crawls into burrows and wet places. No ear infections!
[Linked Image]

Apparently there are less than a thousand of this breed worldwide.

Based on the single one that I know they have a great friendly personality too!

John

very cool dog

thanks for sharing
Posted By: wildfowl Re: Puffin Hunting? - 05/15/19
One of my hunting buddies LOVES mergansers. He will pass up every other duck for a change to get one. Claims there are best plucked and grilled.

We always joke that if you fillet a merganser real thin and deep fry it, it will taste just like catfish
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Puffin Hunting? - 05/15/19
Originally Posted by wildfowl
One of my hunting buddies LOVES mergansers. He will pass up every other duck for a change to get one. Claims there are best plucked and grilled.

We always joke that if you fillet a merganser real thin and deep fry it, it will taste just like catfish

You dislike catfish that much?
wink
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Puffin Hunting? - 05/16/19

Pelosi, Feinstein??
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Puffin Hunting? - 05/17/19
How could one induce a junket for them?!?!?!?
Posted By: WAM Re: Puffin Hunting? - 05/17/19
Originally Posted by crshelton
coyotewacker,

Do not like cormorants? That reminds me of and old East Texas hunting buddy who called them "water turkeys" and killed every one of them that he saw. Pistol, Rifle or shotgun - he would blast away in his attempt to rid Texas of the ugly things.

He passed on some years ago and I do not know who took up the torch to rid the state of them.

I’m not in Tejas, but I never pass on a shot on one. Sumbiches will eat every trout in your pond. My late father in law called them water turkeys also. Local waterfowl hunters call them “double-enders” since both ends have a similar profile in flight. A load of steel 2’s or BB’s makes quick work of them. None of my Labs will pick one up! LOL. I guess they stink. Won’t pick up a Merganser either.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Puffin Hunting? - 05/21/19
smart dogs, lol.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Puffin Hunting? - 05/21/19
How could one induce a junket for them?!?!?!?

We can take the "Rose" over there, ya??
lol
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Puffin Hunting? - 06/07/19
I would love to hunt puffins and would in a heartbeat if I could keep one to mount. We have them sort of locally off of Maine. Alas, they are off-limits...

https://www.trailsunblazed.com/puffins-in-maine/
Posted By: MarlinMark Re: Puffin Hunting? - 07/03/19

Just like natives all over the earth, like Alaska.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Puffin Hunting? - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by MarlinMark

Just like natives all over the earth, like Alaska.

What, a salmon buried for a few months in gravel is worse than a puffin????

wink
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Puffin Hunting? - 11/25/19
My dog won't even retrieve a merg. Gets in his mouth spots it out and leaves it in the river
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Puffin Hunting? - 11/25/19
lol, smart dog!
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Puffin Hunting? - 12/05/19
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
If you can eat a merganser you shouldn't have any problem stomaching a puffin....up here in Michigan there so many cormorants there needs to be a hunting season they taste like a puffin....

You've eaten both?
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Puffin Hunting? - 12/05/19
Originally Posted by wildfowl

Ask him if plucking makes them any better, pls.
Posted By: mathman Re: Puffin Hunting? - 12/05/19
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter

That reads like a screen name for an actor in "San Francisco" movies.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Puffin Hunting? - 12/15/19
Muffin?
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Puffin Hunting? - 12/18/19
Lickin me nuggets...
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Puffin Hunting? - 12/24/19
🤢
Posted By: Filaman Re: Puffin Hunting? - 12/27/19
I shot a coot one time and tried to eat it. Pure "Mud Duck." Threw it away. I took some city boys duck hunting once and one of them downed a water turkey. On the Texas coast that's what we call cormorants. They smell like rotten oysters so we never attempted to eat one. One snow bird lady killed one and thought it was a goose and no body had the heart to tell her different she was so proud of it. I'm not sure what a puffin is but have a feeling I'd rather not know. Now days the only thing that's wild and fly's besides dove, quail, grouse or pheasent, is a speckle belly goose or a sand hill crane. Maybe a pintail. Mallards around here get fishy too.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Puffin Hunting? - 12/27/19
I remember shooting a few "spoonies" in SE Texas as a "yute"..., the few we cleaned were full of parasites imbedded in the breast meat. No thanks.
© 24hourcampfire