Posted By: nyrifleman Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/13/20
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/873220770

Ouch.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/13/20
Jesus wept.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/13/20
Good Grief.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/13/20
Nyrifleman: I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight!
Sheesh.
Gold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Im not even going to look at it...
Posted By: TheKid Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/13/20
Hey at least it was probably actually done by Weatherby and it isn’t chambered for some 7mm TomDicknHarry Mag that nobody has ever heard of. Probably feeds too.

If that can be called a “bright side”.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/13/20
Ok...that was disturbing.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/13/20
Probably done in the 70s at the height of the Weatherby craze?

If the owner is still alive I'm wondering if he's kicking himself.
Posted By: winchester70 Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/13/20
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Im not even going to look at it...

Wise move. It's quite painful.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/14/20
Bsa1917hunter; That indeed is a wise choice.
Sad, sad, sad screw up (destruction!) to a once wonderful Rifle.
Fitful sleep last night - I hope I get over "this" soon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/14/20

Hindsight is 20/20.
In 1949 (the last year the 7M/M was catalogued) the price of all Standard Rifles with a 22G rear sight was the princely sum of $106.00. The 7M/M was so popular it was discontinued (along with the 250-3000 SAV) the following year. No one wanted the 7M/M. The owner of this rifle did not give a second thought to re-chambering the gun for the Weatherby cartridge or how people would feel 50 years later because he did. He also had the rear bridge drilled for scope use and added both a pad and coat of something extra to the stock. The gun is what it is.
Just my thoughts.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/14/20
Yeh, it's to bad it is not original, but with that said if it doesn't get too high I would like to buy it to use as a hunting rifle
Posted By: beretzs Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/14/20
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Yeh, it's to bad it is not original, but with that said if it doesn't get too high I would like to buy it to use as a hunting rifle

Yeah, those old rechambers work pretty well.. A Bridges or Legend and off you go.. Shame it was changed, but like Pocono mentioned, back then he had no idea it would be worth so much and he probably wanted a screamer... Heck, I can't say I blame him..
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/14/20
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Hindsight is 20/20.
In 1949 (the last year the 7M/M was catalogued) the price of all Standard Rifles with a 22G rear sight was the princely sum of $106.00. The 7M/M was so popular it was discontinued (along with the 250-3000 SAV) the following year. No one wanted the 7M/M. The owner of this rifle did not give a second thought to re-chambering the gun for the Weatherby cartridge or how people would feel 50 years later because he did. He also had the rear bridge drilled for scope use and added both a pad and coat of something extra to the stock. The gun is what it is.
Just my thoughts.

Exactly. I wish the rifle could talk. It probably has some wonderful stories to tell. The 7mm Weatherby is a great cartridge.
Posted By: trplem Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/14/20
The quote is "Oh, the humanity!". It's from the "WKRP in Cincinatti " episode where they had a turkey drop for thanksgiving. Les Nessman was covering the event, and the turkeys just kept falling. This caused Les a fair amount of distress. The line might could have been used earlier in a fairly well known disaster, but I'd be too young to know anything about that. It's a shame about the rifle, too.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/14/20

Can I email someone a couple 1950’s ads to post? Reply by pm.
Thanks
Posting for Poconojack

[Linked Image]
And again....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/14/20
Yeah. . . I see the text at the edge
Colt new service complete cylinder $12.50
GENUINE STAG grips $6.60
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/15/20
I had to resize them to post them. Amazing, but take inflation into account. That was a lot of money back then.
Originally Posted by JBabcock
I had to resize them to post them. Amazing, but take inflation into account. That was a lot of money back then.
$120.95 in June 1950 had the same "buying power" as $1,310.11 in June 2020.

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm
Posted By: Fotis Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/15/20
Shame
Posted By: handwerk Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/16/20
cool ad, thanks
Posted By: battue Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/16/20
Handled a 7MM carbine once. Heavy and unbalanced; if the made it today most wouldn’t buy it either.
Posted By: catnthehat Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/21/20
It could be that the 7x57 was whistled out and that is why it was re-chambered but I suspect. That it was actually a case of " magnumitis" !
And again , owner of the rifle obviously paid got it so wanted it regardless of what we would want several decades later .
Could be he was having a hard time sourcing ammo for it as well.
Cat
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/27/20
Not so much inhumanity in evidence. More like stupidity on part of buyer. $1400.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/27/20
40 bids up to $1400?? crazy
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/27/20
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
40 bids up to $1400?? crazy

As one of my Winchester mentors said: "just takes two (expletive)s".

Oughta know. Ran a few auctions up over the years, and been very grateful I did not win.
Posted By: Levers Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/27/20
I was thinking someone would bid it up to $2000 thinking they could make it right again. For $1400, someone got a gun they can take hunting and show to all their Winchester buddies. I think they paid too much but they may get that much pleasure out of it.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 07/27/20
Levers, understood. I've overpaid for a few in my time because they were worth the dollar amount to me knowing the enjoyment I'd get from them.
Posted By: Biebs Re: Oh the inhumanity.... - 08/29/20
Who knows what the future holds. How about all the guys who took classic HD Panheads and turned them into Choppers. Or the folkswho had Corvette Stingrays and added fender flares, chopped the hood for a blower, etc.
© 24hourcampfire