Home
Posted By: handwerk interesting....Model 70 - 07/23/20
So what you guys think?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...model-70-winchester.cfm?gun_id=101481430
Posted By: Poconojack Re: interesting....Model 70 - 07/23/20

I’m probably wrong, but thought both of JOC’s 270’s were Fwts.
Posted By: easttex Re: interesting....Model 70 - 07/23/20
I suppose that rifle could have been owned by JOC, but I doubt it. It has some features that he was not enamored with. It is certainly not one of his famous pair, i.e. the "No. 1 and No. 2". The number 1 started off as a standard weight, which Beisen turned down the barrel to approximate FW contour, the number 2 was purchased as a FW.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: interesting....Model 70 - 07/23/20

Originally Posted by easttex
I suppose that rifle could have been owned by JOC, but I doubt it. It has some features that he was not enamored with. It is certainly not one of his famous pair, i.e. the "No. 1 and No. 2". The number 1 started off as a standard weight, which Beisen turned down the barrel to approximate FW contour, the number 2 was purchased as a FW.

Yep, that’s it.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: interesting....Model 70 - 07/23/20
From the ad he is trying to make it sound like it's number 2 which it is not.

Exquisite collector's rifle, this model 70 is chambered in 270 win and bedded in AAA grade walnut stock with fleur-d-leis checkering pattern. The action has special engraving including a checkered bolt release, a checkered bolt handle, and a jeweled bolt.
This rifle was owned by Jack O'Connor and he wrot about it many times.
Posted By: easttex Re: interesting....Model 70 - 07/23/20
The No. 2 is still owned by the O'Connor family and is on display at the Heritage Center in Lewiston, ID.
Posted By: Jericho Re: interesting....Model 70 - 07/23/20
There is a Sako 222 REM on GB that once belonged to JOC
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: interesting....Model 70 - 07/24/20
I emailed the seller earlier today asking him exactly where O'Connor wrote about the rifle and if he was under the impression that this was either the #1 or #2.

No response thus far.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: interesting....Model 70 - 07/24/20
I doubt a rifle owned by JOC would be in that pristine condition, he used his rifles under all kinds of conditions. Therefor "owned" perhaps, used more than probably not.
Posted By: WTF Re: interesting....Model 70 - 07/24/20
What is the provenance ? What proof is there that it was JOC's.
I seem to recall this one popped up for sale a while back and was highly doubted then. It was in a different stock at that time. I might be wrong but I remember there was something hokey with it.
Isn't #1 owned by a family friend? I'm not currently in front of my library but I seem to recall a story in The Lost Classics (?) about #1.
Posted By: easttex Re: interesting....Model 70 - 07/24/20
No. 1 was sold to family friend Henry Kaufman, along with several other guns. I am not sure if Mr. Kaufman is still alive, as I vaguely recall some notice of his passing, but I could be wrong.
I recall reading that # 1 had stith mounts - but who knows.
I suspect if this rifle had provenance it would be priced higher - or already sold.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: interesting....Model 70 - 07/24/20
We're a generation (or less) away from the new shooters not knowing or caring who JOC was.
Posted By: handwerk Re: interesting....Model 70 - 07/24/20
yes Fireball, very true, that's why my 3 kids were all raised on pre 64 M70's, model 70's are all they have, all they know.
Posted By: easttex Re: interesting....Model 70 - 07/24/20
Both the No.1 and No.2 had straight combs. The seller on GI is... let's say, confused. I am not surprised that Doug has not had a response to his enquiry.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: interesting....Model 70 - 07/24/20

It does appear to be a legitimate Biesen, any thoughts of fair market value?
Originally Posted by Poconojack

It does appear to be a legitimate Biesen, any thoughts of fair market value?

5s. I think the rubber pad, while functional, probably hurts.
There are currently two Biesens on gunbroker both of which Roger had a hand in building.

One in .270, the other an '06.

I'd bid on either one of those 1st. And I may.

Still no reply.
© 24hourcampfire