Home
Posted By: backtobethel What am I missing? - 01/03/21
Gunbroker 94

What the heck?
Posted By: WTF Re: What am I missing? - 01/03/21
I reckon some people just need to blow a wad of cash.
Mine is too hard to come by.
Posted By: adamsguy Re: What am I missing? - 01/03/21
I guess it is now expensive art work for some one
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: What am I missing? - 01/03/21
Wow. Maybe folks think if senate changes hands the online buying party is over and just panicking? That's a nice rifle but a year ago I bet it would have sold for $900.
Posted By: Windfall Re: What am I missing? - 01/03/21
That price is insane! The 94's were nice, but the 64's were nicer. I'm sure glad that I got what I've got when I got it. I gunned my first whitetail with a .30 WCF 64 back in about that same year. I didn't realize what I'd borrowed.
Posted By: iskra Re: What am I missing? - 01/03/21
US Customs often topping task force meeting with "dumb crook files" humor. Guy coming into land POE with Win Mod 12/16ga. 'Non official', chatty remark about chambering. Him clueless & flunked! Especially forgetting too, gun "loaded"... with coke. Pricey gun! "Street value" not appreciated by casual observation! Humor amplified... "Straw sticking out of barrel", maybe clue? smile smile smile
Best & Happy New Year!
John
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: What am I missing? - 01/03/21
Originally Posted by iskra
US Customs often topping task force meeting with "dumb crook files" humor. Guy coming into land POE with Win Mod 12/16ga. 'Non official', chatty remark about chambering. Him clueless & flunked! Especially forgetting too, gun "loaded"... with coke. Pricey gun! "Street value" not appreciated by casual observation! Humor amplified... "Straw sticking out of barrel", maybe clue? smile smile smile
Best & Happy New Year!
John

The straw sticking out of the barrel is for the sucker born every minute. ... Something is off with the butt stock on that rifle too. Maybe a refinish or reproduction? What say you John?
Posted By: Poconojack Re: What am I missing? - 01/03/21

The metal looks TOO blue and the finish on the wood looks pretty thick.
Posted By: iskra Re: What am I missing? - 01/03/21
smile smile smile ... I own 94 Models, yet not that familiar with such particularly in context of late production. That as Winchester searching for some profitability/quality balance. The only thing I pinged on and only for further conjecture if motivated, the number of receiver holes. I recognized the receiver sight holes, presumably factory. But without the 'straw' factor :), just too far-out pricing for me to make any sense! Leaving that up to 'you experts'! Once prices achieve "Ludicrous" warp speed, I fasten seat belt adjust helmet... & snooze! Wake me when it's over for laugh & a beer!

'Dumb-amateur' Model 94 war story, my own. @ $250, taking pity on a poor Bubba 94 30 WCF. Turned out to be rare factory specimen! Go figure! Collector termed "Model 94/95", denoting 1895 barrel cleanup plugged into 94 actions. Here, 20" carbine created; c 1927-8. Pix below & you call can compare receiver holes if desired!
Best Guys!
John

Attached picture Win 94 1.jpg
Attached picture Win 94 2.jpg
Posted By: Loggah Re: What am I missing? - 01/03/21
That rifle looked correct to me, just about $3800 overpriced. If i thought there was a trend i got a bunch i would be selling !! crazy crazy
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: What am I missing? - 01/04/21
If it doesn't make sense using your filter, try another filter. Everybody does what makes sense to them at the time. There is a reason, but it may not be the reason you think.
Posted By: ctw Re: What am I missing? - 01/04/21
I struggled with one of those , dangit i passed with the tacks in the stock.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: What am I missing? - 01/07/21
Backtobethel: I guess I am going to have to re-judge/re-assess my online and hard copy inventories to more accurately reflect "today's" pricing's of my guns values?
I do though, get a whiff of some sort of a scam - in this particular instance.
I paid EXACTLY 1/67th that amount (of $5,025.00!) for my first used Model 94 and it was also in excellent condition?
I am shaking my head at this one.
As long as the seller and the buyer (if there really is one for this Rifle!) are happy - I say trade on!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Windfall Re: What am I missing? - 01/07/21
I think that includes lots of us VG. We bought stuff years ago and most guys don't ever check current values.
Posted By: killerv Re: What am I missing? - 01/08/21
I picked up a '61 and felt I paid up for it at 900 plus tax, but it was the cleanest original 94 I've ever come across. I feel good about my purchase now...
Posted By: Bugger Re: What am I missing? - 01/08/21
I'd sell my 94 32 Special for half that. grin
Posted By: HitnRun Re: What am I missing? - 01/08/21
My bet is whoever is bidding that high, knows more about that gun than anyone here.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: What am I missing? - 01/08/21
That rifle isnt right. Metal is so much better then the wood. Barrel band has been side polished across the bows, oil wicking into forearm both sides and cheeks of stock. Bad scratch on left side of receiver cold stick touchup. Roll stamping on barrel almost polished away at top of lettering. Just my two cents.
Just too pretty for my smeller.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: What am I missing? - 01/08/21

That gun is a mess
Posted By: mooshoo Re: What am I missing? - 01/08/21
i bet somebody will buy it!
Posted By: HitnRun Re: What am I missing? - 01/08/21
Originally Posted by mooshoo
i bet somebody will buy it!

Are you serious? That price of $5225.00 is a live bid. That gun is sold, it's just that the price hasn't been determined yet.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: What am I missing? - 01/09/21
Deerstalker & PoconoJack: I disagree with both of you.
That Rifle has NOT been re-polished NOR re-blued nor has the wood been re-finished!
Under close up scrutiny of the "roll stamping" it is particularly sharp and obviously NEVER re-polished nor re-blued!
Look at the serial number picture - close-up.
That receiver has never been touched (that I can see from the enlarged pictures provided!) and I can find no evidence from stem to stern of that Rifle being "unoriginal".
That Rifle is about 62 years old and some "lubricant" oozing into the wood would not be "unusual"!
And if it is present it is NOT to ANY great extent that I can see.
I agree with the amazement at the current bid - but I adamantly disagree with the baseless conjecture that THIS Rifle has been re-polished, re-blued, re-finished.
Maybe the dozens of folks bidding on this clean rig are all mistaken?
I don't think that, to be the case.
Again I am shaking my head at the current bidding!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Poconojack Re: What am I missing? - 01/10/21

$6,525.00
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: What am I missing? - 01/10/21
Poconojack: The current bidding is now up to $6,650.00!
With 90 bids so far!
I mean I am just in disbelief at the value on this not so rare but excellent condition Winchester Rifle.
AND... there is over 8 hours of "bidding" to go.
Could this be some kind of ruse/set up/conspiracy to drive up real world prices?
I mean I am incredulous at this value on this Rifle!
That does it - tomorrow morning I am going to get started re-evaluating my gun collections.
I am shaking my head.
It is feasible that this Rifle could attain a value 100 (one hundred!) times what I paid ($75.00) for my first Winchester 94 (similar vintage - similar condition by the way)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Poconojack Re: What am I missing? - 01/10/21

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
That Rifle has NOT been re-polished NOR re-blued nor has the wood been re-finished!
Under close up scrutiny of the "roll stamping" it is particularly sharp and obviously NEVER re-polished nor re-blued!
That receiver has never been touched (that I can see from the enlarged pictures provided!) and I can find no evidence from stem to stern of that Rifle being "unoriginal".
That Rifle is about 62 years old and some "lubricant" oozing into the wood would not be "unusual"!
I agree with the amazement at the current bid - but I adamantly disagree with the baseless conjecture that THIS Rifle has been re-polished, re-blued, re-finished.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Buffing marks are clearly visible in pics 5 thru 11, if they are not obvious and one is unable to see them (or has no idea what they’re looking at) it’s folly to try and discuss the re-blue.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: What am I missing? - 01/10/21
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Buffing marks are clearly visible in pics 5 thru 11, if they are not obvious and one is unable to see them (or has no idea what they’re looking at) it’s folly to try and discuss the re-blue.

Varmintguy is a true "expert", no sense going against him. Just ask him how many Leupolds he has on how many rifles and none of them have ever failed. I wish I had his kind of luck.. Ha ha..
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: What am I missing? - 01/11/21
bas1917hunter & pocononojack: : "I" never proclaimed status as an expert - I have been dealing in and collecting pre-64 Winchesters of all types for over 55 years now - and I do know something about them!
But if ether of you think that Rifle has been re-polished, re-blued and re-finished then you's two's guy's are simply showing your stupidity in public!
Carry on!
Or maybe you's two's guy's are smarter than everybody bidding on this Rifle - fat chance of that!
He-he.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: What am I missing? - 01/11/21
pocononojack & bas1917hunter: You's two's mental midgets still have an hour and a half to bid on this cherry piece!
94 bidders it seems - and the bid is at $7,025.00 (seven thousand and twenty five dollars!) now!
I don't think that Rifle is worth that, personally, but it is fact that someone (many someones!) does.
And nothing either of you twirps has burped up has changed my perception of this Rifle at all!
I am shaking my head at the current bid AND the stupidity you two are showing publicly.
Again carry on mental midgets.
He-he.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: What am I missing? - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by HitnRun
My bet is whoever is bidding that high, knows more about that gun than anyone here.

Family heirloom that got sold; owned by John Wayne; has the secret code to the vault inscribed under the barrel; or maybe just shill bidders. Who knows. 7K though!
Posted By: HitnRun Re: What am I missing? - 01/11/21
This one looks buffed too.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/887215159
Posted By: jsgwoodsman Re: What am I missing? - 01/12/21
Shill bidding at its “finest”
Posted By: jorgeI Re: What am I missing? - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by Bugger
I'd sell my 94 32 Special for half that. grin

Me too. smile
Posted By: lynntelk Re: What am I missing? - 01/13/21
Sales tax collected based on ship to address.
The tax alone would be just about right for a sales price depending on the ship to address.
Posted By: Rodney482 Re: What am I missing? - 01/18/21
My 1950 is better

Attached picture 511D5D3B-6B3C-4ACE-840D-1FECA4CF4F03.jpeg
© 24hourcampfire