Home
What should a classic looking M70 look like in your eyes? What rings/mounts, scope, open sights etc?

Pre or Post?
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Pre or Post?

Either. Doesn’t matter...doesn’t need to be a pre-64 to be classy looking
Like this. Not saying they're the best hunting setups by today's standards, but they're "classic".

.257 with Lyman Alaskan
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
'06 FWT with B&L Balvar
Post modern 416.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by EdM
Post modern 416.

I love that stock and red recoil pad.
Mod 70 338 WM c. 1960... Lyman 48 3d gen - w/o stock inlet! Orig "Winchester" red pad!

Best & Happy New Year! smile
John

Attached picture R421-2.jpg
Attached picture R421-3.jpg
Attached picture R421-8.jpg
Attached picture R421-5.jpg
Attached picture R421-17.jpg
Modern Classic.....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Originally Posted by battue
Modern Classic.....

How do you like the scope? I love that style of scope on a classic rifle but I’ve never looked through one. Are they ok at dusk and dawn? Feel limited by the power of it?
A bunch of beautiful rifles....all classic
Originally Posted by harv3589
Originally Posted by battue
Modern Classic.....

How do you like the scope? I love that style of scope on a classic rifle but I’ve never looked through one. Are they ok at dusk and dawn? Feel limited by the power of it?

You are obviously going to lose some early and late....depending if you are in the woods or out in the open...I know it going it, but for the majority of the day, I like it for a woods choice...

With a good load and the right target size, keeping it around MOA out to 200 yards isn't hard...Typical example...different rifle, but another 3x Leupold Big bore...

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Beautiful rifles, BSA!

Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Sir.... I don’t know if you were told but your rifles were built backwards whistle
Laughing! A “classic” mistake.
To me, a vintage scope in Stith mounts is as “classic” as it gets.

Peep sights are a close second though.

But I like them in any configuration.

I've had a couple of scotches so...
Isn't this sorta like asking what a perfect car or girl should look like...
It's perfect if you look at it and say, "i really am glad i have you". Wether in the field or at home, it's perfect when you think so...just need to try a few to figure out what you like. Im going to guess there are multiple configurations that will make you happy...
I'll play. '56 Fwt .30-06 with a Lyman in a Redfield.

Originally Posted by Jwood1284

This is such a handsome rifle and seems like the epitome of what a classic rifle should look like. The rifleman's rifle.
To my eyes dual dovetails or Conetrols are the nicest looking mounts.
Lots of great looking rifles, but then I am a model 70 fan anyways. Ed and Chuck's rifles are built for different purposes, but they all look great to my eyes.
Thanks Pal! For bringing this Thread back to the forefront. I'd missed a bunch of nice rifles as new Threads ever coming quickly and as quickly fading in the sunset! Your 56 Featherweight is indeed pretty much exemplary of the classic fifties era Winchester! As the 30-06, 270 Win, entire Model 54 & Model 70 wide 'the chamberings'! Considerably moreso than any other chambering across production from mid twenties to well beyond the "pre" series 70 demise. Your 'dang upstart' modern .243 Win, quite likely the game changer and 'best fifties era representation' of the newer Winchester offerings . Just my opine.

160user, we seem to be of the same Model 70 'clan'. I prefer the prewar editions too, but do include the early postwar as a continuation of that quality until prewar components supplies ran out. The clip-slot receiver of the non-magnum models into postwar, a definite clue! Quality of workmanship, definitely there and unmatched. While the safety lever orientation was scope-interference reduced in postwar editions and bit friendlier bottom metal release, the prewars still shine in notable features as the integral forged front sight ramp. Notably also carried into the early post era too! While my Super Grade 338 Win Mag Posting in a Thread above suggests; not to kick a pretty face late bloomer out of bed. smile

Below, sharing something of an exception to my general practice of not buying into customized 'pre' 70ies. German stationed soldier in early fifties acquiring this Model 70 in the Post Exchange; restocked prior to returning home bearing it. Reflecting something of European influence. Yet somehow to me, missing the real Euro-classic styling-essence! Acquired with story couple of decades ago, from a Model 70 collector purist, seeking quick sale @ $400. In 270 Win & great condition. Honorable mention to my 'other' 'pre' 70 models of earlier days. Several 1937 models, a '40 in 300 H&H and couple of '42 models. Two perhaps matching your Stith scoped rifle, of which one with a Lyman Alaskan scope other ancient Weaver. Several other Stith mounts in use as well as one or two yet in-box.

I really prefer the Lyman 48 receiver sights. Never to inlet for such, but preferring to buy guns with them in place. Of course, the last sub-design Lyman 48, around the stock contour rather than inletting! Great idea, just coming late. Below my Euro-Win70

Best & Stay Safe!

Attached picture R401-2.jpg
Attached picture R401-3U.jpg
Attached picture R401-10U.jpg
Kinda shows your admiration for the Bruno’s you hold in high esteem. I like them too.

My fave- 1954-vintage '06, Leupold 3-9, strutting her stuff for all the range boys to see!
Pre-64 Fwt. old style Weaver rings.

DF

An early .30-06 post-war gun...'49, I think. Redfield rings and base, Lyman scope.
Bob

Nice looking rifles guys. I can look at model 70 rifles all day long. I recently bought a classic, but its stainless:

I also pulled the big Zeiss off and threw a slimmer Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex on it. Its lighter and smaller than the zeiss pictured above. I just haven't taken a new picture of the rifle yet...

THIS is classic...
Some very nice rifles! I have 2 model 70s. A 1951 .270 with K-4 that was me pappys a year older than me. My other is xtr in300 w m . XTR built in the last year of Winchester-Olin before US Repeating Arm took over 1981.
Originally Posted by Iafarmer
Some very nice rifles! I have 2 model 70s. A 1951 .270 with K-4 that was me pappys a year older than me. My other is xtr in300 w m . XTR built in the last year of Winchester-Olin before US Repeating Arm took over 1981.

No pictures? Shame on you..
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby

THIS is classic...

For sure and in every way...

DF
My favorite rifle...'55 M70 standard in .30-06, Lyman 4X in Redfield steel mounts.
Bob

Nice looking rifles guys. I can look at model 70 rifles all day long. I recently bought a classic, but its stainless:

I also pulled the big Zeiss off and threw a slimmer Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex on it. Its lighter and smaller than the zeiss pictured above. I just haven't taken a new picture of the rifle yet...

That pre64 I got off you I put talleys on it with a leupold.. it did not look right at all.. so I bought leupold bases and new Burris ff2 yesterday and it looks a lot better. The weather needs to warm up I need to go shoot it.
Originally Posted by 79S

That pre64 I got off you I put talleys on it with a leupold.. it did not look right at all.. so I bought leupold bases and new Burris ff2 yesterday and it looks a lot better. The weather needs to warm up I need to go shoot it.

Ha ha. Yeah, I came to that conclusion a long time ago. The pre 64's look so much better with Leupold dual dovetails, or even weaver bases and burris Zee rings. S&K's and conetrols look nice too, if you have the money to spend on them. I like keeping it simple with DD's for the most part on my pre 64's. Those are a no can do for my H&H receivers though. Those all get this set-up to look right, as I hate crap hanging off the bridge and into the ejection/loading port:

Winchester thought the H&H cartridges needed slightly more room for loading and ejecting for a reason. They wouldn't have cut out those areas in the receiver if they didn't thin they needed them...
Those are weaver steel bases with steel Burris rings.. The work quite handily on my H&H rifles..^^ Yet they are still fairly trim..
A pre64 7MM [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
wow GSP, I remember holding one of those at a collectors in California, almost 20 years ago, he wanted $9,000 back then.
Pre-war 270 Win.

Originally Posted by EdM
Pre-war 270 Win.

Nice deluxe chunka wood.
Here is my P64 Featherweight 270. My favorite deer killer

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Dandy rifle and buck!
My 416 Rem. A modern Classic?

Originally Posted by EdM

That gun is 1000% sexy.
Originally Posted by RGK
My favorite rifle...'55 M70 standard in .30-06, Lyman 4X in Redfield steel mounts.
Bob

You did a great job on that rifle. Great picture too..
Originally Posted by EdM

Great photo. And yes, a modern classic.
Bob
+1. ^^^

And while it would be arguable that the classic model 70 in deer calibers is substantially heavier than it needs to be by “ modern standards”;
Ed’s heavy African calibers give up nothing to ANY rifle, modern or vintage, while being classic.
Here's a transition I sold last year:

An H&H, converted to WBY, I found at a pawnshop for $600. I like the classic looks of the transition era rifle.. Especially when its priced right.. Ha ha,,
As a Lefty I don't have any Pre-64 options so this is what a classic Model 70 looks like to me.

A LH Super Express in 375 H&H with a 3x9 Zeiss in early Warne Premier Rings.

I prefer the earlier stock design of the Super Express vs the later and chunkier Safari Express. I don't think Winchester made the LH in Super Express very long as most of the ones I have seen have been the Safari Express.

Originally Posted by 470Evans
As a Lefty I don't have any Pre-64 options so this is what a classic Model 70 looks like to me.

A LH Super Express in 375 H&H with a 3x9 Zeiss in early Warne Premier Rings.

I prefer the earlier stock design of the Super Express vs the later and chunkier Safari Express. I don't think Winchester made the LH in Super Express very long as most of the ones I have seen have been the Safari Express.

Beauty.
1953 M70 FWT .308 - my primary hunting rifle for 40 + years.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
M 1952 year model 300 H&H with Lyman receiver peep, low comb stock, factory 1-1/4 leather sling and a belt loaded with 220gr partitions, any critter short of ele, hippo and cape buffalo can be easily handled, even those could be taken if legal.
Originally Posted by crshelton
1953 M70 FWT .308 - my primary hunting rifle for 40 + years.

Beware the man with one rifle.
270 Fwt, 2.5x8 Leupold in Controls, McMillan stock.

Accounted for this Mule Deer last December.

Originally Posted by Anteloper
+1. ^^^

And while it would be arguable that the classic model 70 in deer calibers is substantially heavier than it needs to be by “ modern standards”;
Ed’s heavy African calibers give up nothing to ANY rifle, modern or vintage, while being classic.

It works too.

1947 SG in .300 H&H - My "heavy gun" grin

Aside from those I own, a very nice pre64 .270 FWT with a Leupold 2.5-8 I saw at the gun show today.

A mere $2500 on the tag. smile
Originally Posted by Odessa

All that's missing is a 1960's vintage hand tooled leather sling.
I actually did get rid of that Velo Velini sling several years ago (it was a fine sling). I put Montana slings on all my hunting rifles - best combination of function, looks, and price I have found.
Originally Posted by Pugs
1947 SG in .300 H&H - My "heavy gun" grin

Wow! What a nice rifle, and elk by the way. Kudos for using it, most folks would not hunt with such a rare rifle.
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Kudos for using it, most folks would not hunt with such a rare rifle.

I kinda cringe at every nick but every one is another part of it's story. Here in Newfoundland.

[Linked Image from ]
My 358 Win.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
© 24hourcampfire