Home
Posted By: Bugger pre-64 300 H&H sights help - 01/06/21
I recently bought a pre-64 300 H&H and the sights don't look right, especially the front. The front sight is .55" tall. Using the iron sights the first load I tried 150 gr with full power powder (Don't recall what) the bullet struck about right on at 25 yards.
I'm thinking that the rear sight elevator might be a replacement??? It does not go any lower than shown. The front sight does not fit right, see picture.
Question: Is that rear sight correct? If so, is it just the elevator that's off?
I've done quite a bit of searching on line and cannot find a rear sight that looks like that one.
Help please.

Attached picture 70 rear sight.jpg
Attached picture 70 front sight.jpg
Posted By: iskra Re: pre-64 300 H&H sights help - 01/06/21
The vintage of your M 70 likely dictates the original sight. Do you want to return to original, something else in mind???
Advise! smile
John
Posted By: Bugger Re: pre-64 300 H&H sights help - 01/06/21
I’d like original sights, but lack the knowledge to get the right ones. The sights on the Web go from $30 to well over $300 bucks, but I doubt any I’ve found were “right” for the pre-64 300.
My 300 is in excellent condition, but I believe the bolt shroud has been re-blued as it has a purple hew. Also the floor plate is a very nice blue, maybe too nice. I’m not sure the floor plate was supposed to be blued like that. My pre-64 375’s floor plate is much different as are the sights and the color of the shroud on the bolt.
In other words, even if I get the right sights I don’t know if the rifle would be correct and I can’t afford to spend a Small fortune.

You’re saying is that rear sight isn’t right, correct? The front sight surely isn’t.
Posted By: sbrmike Re: pre-64 300 H&H sights help - 01/06/21
Both sights are wrong. The rear would definitely be a Winchester 22-G with 3C elevator. The front would most likely be a Winchester 31 but a Lyman .310" high could be a possibility as well.
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Both sights are wrong. The rear would definitely be a Winchester 22-G with 3C elevator. The front would most likely be a Winchester 31 but a Lyman .310" high could be a possibility as well.

Any advice on finding such sights?
The serial number on said rifle is 309xxx, which I think means 1954 DOM. My 375 is a 1956 manufacture. I'd think such things as floor plates would be similar. I see that the 375 would have different sights and the 375 has two flip up rear sights.

Your rifle was serialized in Sept./Oct. of 1954. If it has a MC stock the original rear sight may have been a Marble 69 folding leaf rear sight or Lyman 16B folding leaf rear sight.
Once you determine what you need they can be readily found on eBay.
Thanks, I found the Marble sight, the Winchester 31 and the Lyman.

Originally Posted by Bugger
Thanks, I found the Marble sight and the Lyman.

Does your gun have a Monte Carlo stock?
I'm using Leupold quick disconnect bases and medium height rings. I'll have a second scope along that is sighted in while hunting. If all else fails, I'll use the sights. I will be glad when I get rid of that ugly front sight. and the odd rear sight. Here's a picture of my Super 30 grin

Attached picture super 30.jpg
Posted By: iskra Re: pre-64 300 H&H sights help - 01/06/21
Part of the virtue, or perhaps vice - unsure which, of being an old man; the appreciation of some of the classics. Of course the pre '64 Model 70. But also chamberings such as the 300 & 375 H&H with their over century old record of reliable accomplishments! Not belittling the hoard of more recent chamberings, particularly the fine .300 Win Mag, but case design of the H&H series 'made to feed', just as CRF mad to feed. A match spurred by the days where reliable feeding & performance was paramount.
So my small, unsolicited moment of grinning appreciation & 'congrats' for those of us sufficiently fortunate to own such rifles & chamberings!
An old man's take! smile smile smile
Happy Orthodox Catholic Christmas today!
John
Try here.

https://pre64win.com/collections
Thanks all. I have sights ordered and on their way!
Posted By: BKinSD Re: pre-64 300 H&H sights help - 01/13/21
Congrats on acquiring a Pair of Aces!
The 300 h&h in a model,70 or any rifle for that matter is an awesome cartridge. I love mine
Posted By: BKinSD Re: pre-64 300 H&H sights help - 01/14/21
I don't shoot mine enough
© 24hourcampfire