Home
Ha ha.. I wont post pictures until after I get it. Waiting on background check. Its a 5 digit classic stainless 30-06 fwt, with walnut stock. I've been waiting to come across this certain configuration for quite a while now, at the right price tag, of course. Condition is about 90%. No real wear on the metal/stainless, clean bolt face, sharp rifling. The only real flaws are in the stock. Some small bumps and scratches, but not bad overall. The rifle came with a silver Leupold vari-x IIc 3-9x40, that I'll sell to recoup some of the money I spent on the rifle. What say you Winchester experts.
Posted By: 79S Re: How much is this rifle worth? - 01/22/21
Background checks are over rated..
Originally Posted by 79S
Background checks are over rated..

grin
Not sure what the point of this post is - you clearly got it for a price below what you believe the market to be or you wouldn’t have bought it.

But I’m bored, so I’ll play anyway. I would guess that with scope you bought it for $800 or less, and I would put my estimate of what that gun would bring sans scope on gunbroker between $900 and $1100. And we know you expect to recoup $400 on the scope via EBay.

How’d I do?
$550
i was thinking $500 - $700
30-06 of any rifle bring the lowest price for some reason
Originally Posted by BobBrown

I'm sure you know this already, but the 30-06 is about the most boring, utilitarian cartridge out there. Kind of like the small block Chevy....mundane, common, ubiquitous and not exciting at all. But it gets the job done without any drama....IF that is what you're looking for.

Kansan

In the classic stainless, the featherweight ‘06 will usually bring more than the WSMs.
That was a very popular configuration and there weren't too terribly many on the shelf as I recall. With the scope I would say $900-$1100. Even with pre 64's Fwts, if you buy them to use, you don't worry about a couple of nicks. The only Win 70's I see going for less than $700 are push feeds.
Originally Posted by Muffin
$550

Unless you are just messing with BSA, I suspect you have not tried to buy one of these in the last couple of months. I will pay you a generous finders fee for every one of these you can show me for sale at $550 grin
Yep, what AK said...
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
$550

Unless you are just messing with BSA, I suspect you have not tried to buy one of these in the last couple of months. I will pay you a generous finders fee for every one of these you can show me for sale at $550 grin

Yep, the 5 digit stainless with the walnut stock is a hard one to find. Like I said in the OP, I had been looking for one here locally for a while. As luck would have it, it was priced right too. My plan is to work this one over: Glass bed, fine tune the trigger, freefloat the barrel and work up a dandy load for it. I may run some Barnes TTSX's in it, or maybe 200 gr nosler partitions. We'll see which ones shoot better and go from there. I'll probably hang on to it and hunt it next year.
Today
$850 bare rifle
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Today
$850 bare rifle

Thats right around what i was thinking.. Thanks guys.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
$550

Im glad muffin threw out a number like that. Its proof some guy's dont know gun values. That's when guy's like me come along and snag said priced rifles
Here is my 5 digit 30/06 Classic Stainless. It is a keeper

Attached picture AAF773F8-3678-4275-82AB-A9C4FB90B026.jpeg
Originally Posted by GAGoober

Very nice. Looks like the twin to mine.
As always, it's worth what you paid for it. Nice one to have however.
FWIW, in my area, assuming all original and unmodified, I think that would be a $700-$800 rifle (w/o scope). The same rifle in .270 might possibly bring a touch more. At the end of the day, a very nice rifle that I would be proud to own.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by smithrjd
As always, it's worth what you paid for it. Nice one to have however.

Its actually "worth" a lot more than I paid for it. The scope that is on it is almost "worth" what I paid for the combo.
Originally Posted by Bugger

It seems like I always get a collection of the damn things. I'm almost to the point that I am going to offer up one of my pre 64 fwt's to 79s here. He said a while back he was looking for a good one.
Posted By: 79S Re: How much is this rifle worth? - 01/31/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It seems like I always get a collection of the damn things. I'm almost to the point that I am going to offer up one of my pre 64 fwt's to 79s here. He said a while back he was looking for a good one.

If you do hit me up!
Originally Posted by 79S

If you do hit me up!

How does $850.00 shipped (rifle without scope) sound?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I haven't even worked up a load for the damn thing. Rifles pretty dang clean. Stock has obviously been cut and I installed the red pachmayr. LOP is typical 13 5/8". Feeds and functions flawlessly. It would be right at home in AK with 200gr partitions. Those bears in the cartoon would be schitting bricks if they saw you packing that combo.. I don't need the money, so it will sit in the safe until you have the funds, if interested..

Posted By: 79S Re: How much is this rifle worth? - 02/01/21
If you are serious he’ll yeah..
Originally Posted by 79S

That’s a good score at 850. I need to get on BSA’s preferred buyer list whistle

Just picked up a 6 digit Stainless Classic w/box chambered for .243 Win.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Just picked up a 6 digit Stainless Classic w/box chambered for .243 Win.

Nice score pocono.
Originally Posted by GAGoober

Very nice. Looks like the twin to mine.

Must have made a bunch of them. I too have a 5 digit stainless Featherweight Classic in 30-06.Also have another 5 digit in the same stainless Featherweight configuration in a 243. But my 308 in the same configuration is a 6 digit.
Ha ha.. I wont post pictures until after I get it. Waiting on background check. Its a 5 digit classic stainless 30-06 fwt, with walnut stock. I've been waiting to come across this certain configuration for quite a while now, at the right price tag, of course. Condition is about 90%. No real wear on the metal/stainless, clean bolt face, sharp rifling. The only real flaws are in the stock. Some small bumps and scratches, but not bad overall. The rifle came with a silver Leupold vari-x IIc 3-9x40, that I'll sell to recoup some of the money I spent on the rifle. What say you Winchester experts.

Question #1:

Is it left-handed?

No further questions.

smile
Originally Posted by 79S

Good move. And good luck with it.

Class cowboy right there.

smile
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Its a 5 digit classic stainless 30-06 fwt, with walnut stock.

Question #1:

Is it left-handed?

No further questions.

smile

It's a featherweight, so no
Originally Posted by tmitch

Question #1:

Is it left-handed?

No further questions.

smile

smile
Posted By: 79S Re: How much is this rifle worth? - 02/04/21
Originally Posted by tmitch

Question #1:

Is it left-handed?

No further questions.

smile

smile

Well considering it’s a pre 64, no lefties was ever made..
Originally Posted by 79S

Good move. And good luck with it.

Class cowboy right there.

smile

Who’s the classified cowboy?? I know bsa isn’t and I literally sold 2 items their in the last year maybe 2 years..

Question #1:

Is it left-handed?

No further questions.

smile

Its a right handed stainless classic fwt in walnut stock.. Around here, I don't see them often. Especially the 5 digit models. Someone said they made a lot of them. I call bs. This is the first one I've ran across in person. The stainless synthetics are more prevalent, but even those are hard to come by. Guys don't want to give up their 5 digit classics for some reason. Go figure..

Question #1:

Is it left-handed?

No further questions.

smile

Its a right handed stainless classic fwt in walnut stock.. Around here, I don't see them often. Especially the 5 digit models. Someone said they made a lot of them. I call bs. This is the first one I've ran across in person. The stainless synthetics are more prevalent, but even those are hard to come by. Guys don't want to give up their 5 digit classics for some reason. Go figure..

That's why I said that's a class cowboy gun. You never run across those here.

Question #1:

Is it left-handed?

No further questions.

smile

The stainless with wood classics were like a 1-2 year run.. I know stainless sporter with wood are extremely hard to find..

Question #1:

Is it left-handed?

No further questions.

smile

I believe I am responsible for the "made a lot of them' remark. Guess the sarcasm font wasn't working. I have a few of the 5 digit classics and they are keepers. I did offer a 5 digit stainless classic rifle/scope package with a Zeiss last year. I received offers for the rifle but no one wanted the scope and I did not want to separate.
Originally Posted by lynntelk

Question #1:

Is it left-handed?

No further questions.

smile

I believe I am responsible for the "made a lot of them' remark. Guess the sarcasm font wasn't working. I have a few of the 5 digit classics and they are keepers. I did offer a 5 digit stainless classic rifle/scope package with a Zeiss last year. I received offers for the rifle but no one wanted the scope and I did not want to separate.

Good scopes sell like hotcakes on ebay. Also, A lot of guys dont want a rifle scope combo, unless its a steal. Thats just how it works.
Originally Posted by lynntelk

Question #1:

Is it left-handed?

No further questions.

smile

Good scopes sell like hotcakes on ebay. Also, A lot of guys dont want a rifle scope combo, unless its a steal. Thats just how it works.

Truth.
3 weeks later. Never had a background check take that long. Boy have times changed. Hopefully it will go back to normal one of these days. So I picked up the rifle today. She was dirty, needed cleaning, but here it is after I got it home, before I tore into it:
$675.00 worth right there^^

I tore the old girl apart, pulled the bolt apart, pulled the trigger out and put a lighter spring in it. The old one was as springy as a rock. Set trigger to 2.5 pounds (a good safe 2.5 pounds), scrubbed dirt and gunk off and emptied the pine needles out of the stock. Re-tapped the scope mount holes, polished out the follower, removed the copper from the barrel, scrubbed the bridges off and prepped it for new Leupold DD bases. Installed DD's and loctited them down, oiled everything and put it back together. Installed Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 that I found 2 weeks ago at a shop for a great deal. I'll end up selling the Leupold on ebay for something like $375.00.

Here's the top of the receiver after I removed the old loctite and re-tapped the holes. I do that to remove old loctite. The threads are perfect:

Now how it looks:
Bore looks great. I have high hopes for this rifle. I think it will shoot pretty good. We shall see...
Looking good!
Wow buddy! That’s a great looking Featherweight.

Looking forward to seeing what it does on the range. Came out real clean.
You got $300 in a stainless model 70 featherweight? Azzhole🤣
Originally Posted by beretzs
Wow buddy! That’s a great looking Featherweight.

Looking forward to seeing what it does on the range. Came out real clean.

Rifling looks pretty good. I have a good feeling about it. You know me, I'll keep you guys filled in with honest results... One thing I can say is I hope it shoots as consistently as well as my new Tikka 308. If it did better, I'd be even happier.

Ha ha.. Isn't that how you are supposed to do it? I have that much into the Tikka T3 stainless lite 308w I bought a week before I bought this fwt. I've been experimenting with Barnes bullets with that rifle, but it also seems to like Nosler partitions as well too. I guess I've just been getting lucky lately.. whistle grin
You did well on that deal!

Purty rifle.

-Jake

I hate to give away my secrets in gun buying, but check these out:

Leupold Vari-x IIC 3-9x40 sold on ebay

Crazy price on this silver Leupold

Silver Leupold Vari-x IIc 3-9X40 Sold on ebay for $476.00+ shipping

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
You did well on that deal!

Purty rifle.

-Jake

Thanks Jake. It was only listed for a day. I saw it and drove 90 miles after work to buy it. Thankfully it was still there and no gunshop saw it. It was listed online for everyone to see. This is the second rifle I've bought from this place that had this particular Leupold rifle scope on it. For some reason they sell like hotcakes over on ebay. It seems there are a few guy out there that really like these older silver Leupolds. For those in the know, they also know the beauty in the "IIc" Leupold. I don't like Leupolds, but I'll buy a rifle with this particular scope on it every day and twice on sunday. The last one I bought was a year ago. A like new Ruger boat paddle 30-06, for $500.00. Sold the scope for $325.00. The prices have gone up on these scopes since last year. I only have $175.00 in that particular 30-06 and it is a nice one..
I was just messing with you

You are right. I only have $300.00 into the rifle. That rifle would bring $850+on gunbroker.

You are right. I only have $300.00 into the rifle. That rifle would bring $850+on gunbroker.

Sell it for that ,give some to St Jude children hospital
BSA....FYI

If you have a CCW permit, give your ID# to your FFL for your background check. It will push your application to the front of the line.

I’ve had as many as 4600 applications for review in front of mine. 40 minutes max and I was out the door with my firearm.

I’ve done this 4 times since the riots and covid. 20 minutes was my typical wait, 40 minutes was the longest.

🦫

PS

Nice rifle.
hey BSA, that looks like a really nice one - congrats !

I think you usually bed these. Are you planning to bed it, or shoot it first?

Tim
I’ll give $499 plus shipping for rifle
Originally Posted by Beaver10
BSA....FYI

If you have a CCW permit, give your ID# to your FFL for your background check. It will push your application to the front of the line.

I’ve had as many as 4600 applications for review in front of mine. 40 minutes max and I was out the door with my firearm.

I’ve done this 4 times since the riots and covid. 20 minutes was my typical wait, 40 minutes was the longest.

🦫

PS

Nice rifle.

#elitist
NICE! 200gr Partitions at 2700 with H-4831, RL-17 or 22 and you're gold for anything in this country to a long 400 yards, Congrats on a looker Buddy.
Originally Posted by gunner500
NICE! 200gr Partitions at 2700 with H-4831, RL-17 or 22 and you're gold for anything in this country to a long 400 yards, Congrats on a looker Buddy.

Took me awhile to come around but the 06 with the good 200+ grain Bullets is pretty darned effective.

Took me awhile to come around but the 06 with the good 200+ grain Bullets is pretty darned effective.

You bet Big B, with todays powders and 200+ grain slicks, the old War Horse can punch damn hard a good ways out.

You bet Big B, with todays powders and 200+ grain slicks, the old War Horse can punch damn hard a good ways out.

I agree. I love the 200gr partition in my other 30-06 rifles. They really plow through elk and deer, for that matter. Scotty really makes a good point about heavies in the ol 06 too. Those 212gr loads he started a thread on are eye openers. Recently I lucked into some superformance powder and will probably try that in this new 30-06 and some heavies. Just got off the phone a little while ago and one of my buddies was asking me what bullet I'm going to try in my new rifle and I told him everything I have loaded up for my other 06 rifles. I'm also thinking I'll load some 168gr TTSX up and see how she does. That weight of mono metal should be the catz azz in the ol 06.
Yessir, 200gr NPT main bullet for '06 hunting for me too, heavy slicks with a twisty scope could be fun wringing the old girl out, I can see no flies on the 168 Barnes buzzsaw either.
Yessir, 200gr NPT main bullet for '06 hunting for me too, heavy slicks with a twisty scope could be fun wringing the old girl out, I can see no flies on the 168 Barnes buzzsaw either.

We will see. I am thinking about loading some of those Barnes bullets and trying out that new rifle of mine. Last day off from work, I better make the best of it.. Damn, just got a notification that the Silver Leupold just sold. I just listed it last night. Didn't last 10 hours on the damn ebay. I priced it fair, considering it had some ring marks. If it would have been in perfect condition, like the last one I sold, I would have priced it higher. So, in all fairness I don't have $300.00 into this rifle. Its more like $330.00... dang it.. Now I'm curious to see how it shoots, but I guess I better get this scope packaged up first.. ha ha..
Nice, congrats on selling the 'glare master glass' ; ]
Nice, congrats on selling the 'glare master glass' ; ]

grin

Guys love those fn things for some reason... crazy
Originally Posted by stealthgoat
hey BSA, that looks like a really nice one - congrats !

I think you usually bed these. Are you planning to bed it, or shoot it first?

Tim

Great question buddy. I saw your question the other day and just now got around to "fine tuning" the bedding on this rifle. I shot it the other day and it did alright, but I know it will shoot better after a couple mods to the bedding. When I got the rifle, it was already glass bedded. Looks like a great job. A couple things I don't like about the bedding are this: 1. The front action hole needs to be opened up. That is one thing I always do to any of my rifles I glass bed. The action screws should not be snug in the stock. This one is and that is generally a "no no". The next thing is the barrel freefloating. On all of my winchester model 70 rifles, I've always gotten the best/most consistent accuracy from a totally freefloating barrel. That means from the front of the recoil lug forward, no contact at all on the barrel. A good/proper freefloat means the stock has no influence on the accuracy of the barrel/rifle. You hear this often here that guys get POI shift when they use a bi-pod, or when they use a front rest. There is a reason for that: Their riflese are not properly freefloated. A good freefloated barrel will shoot to the same place, regardless if you are shooting off of your pack or off a bi-pod. It's as simple as that. Here is how the barrel channel on this rifle looked after I removed some epoxy from the previous owners bedding job:

Sorry I didn't show the epoxy in the barrel channel before i started. I got in a hurry and started sanding before I realized I didn't take a picture. I did take a picture of how the rifle looks with the smaller burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle on it now:

I think it looks better than the big Zeiss and it feels more nimble in the hands as well... Better balanced..

As of right now, the barrel channel is being sealed with tru-oil:

As always, I post honest results as far as how my rifles shoot. This is before proper freefloating and ammo I have loaded for my other rifles:

I guarantee after the treatment/freefloat I gave it tonight, it will shoot better next time out...
Great score BSA, congrats!
Originally Posted by winchester70
Great score BSA, congrats!

Thanks buddy. I'm pretty happy with it. I don't mind the fine tuning either. I give the previous owner props for doing a nice bedding job. We'll see how she shoots now, after a full freefloat on the barrel. I'll take it out next weekend, with my new 6x45 barrel on my AR15. Hopefully the weather is nicer. It was horrible last weekend. Real wet under the snow, like standing water under the snow. Good thing I was wearing my elk hunting boots, or my feet would have been soak and wet!!!
Posted By: RGK Re: How much is this rifle worth? - 02/23/21
You do some NICE bedding work. Photos are great, too!
Bob
Originally Posted by RGK
You do some NICE bedding work. Photos are great, too!
Bob

I wish I could say I did this one. The previous owner did it. Must have used accraglass gel with brown die. I kind of wished he would have bedded the tang as well, but I can always do it later. We'll see how it shoots after freefloating the barrel. Thanks for the compliments though, I think your photo's are pretty damn good too. Better than mine, to be honest..
Alright, just an update on this rifle. I swapped out scopes and am now running my favorite hunting scope (Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle). I ended up putting the Zeiss conquest on my new Ruger 10-22. So, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I was thinking removing the bedding material under the chamber would help the accuracy on this rifle and I was right. Everything shot more consistently and accurately. I was very happy, even though I'm not getting sub moa groups from this old girl yet, it is sure showing signs of promise. I've had the rifle to the range twice now (I believe). Once before the barrel freeefloat and once after. Here's how she's doing now for comparison:

Now:

Before:

I also tried some 168gr TTSX in this rifle:
I'm thinking mechanically this rifle is great. I'm very happy with how it functions. Its a joy to shoot. It feels great in the hands as well, especially after switching scopes.

I need to load up some more of my pet loads with the 180gr WW powerpoints too. I was a little apprehensive about doing it though, as it takes H4350 and I don't want to burn it up. I looked up at my 4 pounds I have left and thought to myself that works so well in my 6.5 creedmoor. Well, I may have to just use some for the old 06 ammo too. Seeing how that ammo works very well in all of my 30-06 rifles. I'd like to start with some load development as well, but like I said that powder is hard to find... I used H414 in the TTSX loads, which is a first for me. H4350 would probably perform better with that bullet as well.. I have some 165gr TTSX to try too. I also need to try my 200gr partition load in this rifle again too. All of those bullets in the 06 are great candidates for the deer and elk hunting I do around here.
© 24hourcampfire