Home
Hello, I was out on the prowl today for some ammo and walked into a gun shop that just took a model 63 in on trade. It looked a little different then ones I’d seen and picked it up. The rifle has a checkered stock and fore grip, a straight stock at that, and a 20” barrel. The gun is in very good shape and I walked out of the shop with it for $650. Can anyone give me some insights into the rifle and whether I did alright, thanks!

Steve
Posted By: tmitch Re: Did I find a rare model 63? - 03/08/21
Pictures. We need pictures
Can someone post some pics for me?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
A model 63 with an '03 butt stock fitted and aftermarket checkering. These pop up from time to time.
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
A model 63 with an '03 butt stock fitted and aftermarket checkering. These pop up from time to time.

I don’t think so. The 03 buttstock is crescent and the 63 isn’t. But perhaps.
this is what all my 1903 stocks look like.

Originally Posted by hawkman0206
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
I don’t think so. The 03 buttstock is crescent and the 63 isn’t. But perhaps.
Then you think wrong. These are fairly common shooter grade rifles and the stocks are often aftermarket. As long as you're happy with it, I wouldn't spend much time fretting.
Well that’s disappointing. Oh well.
I bet the barrel was probably cut too. Normal length is 23”. I should’ve looked at it closer before buying.
Here are a few more pics...

Posted By: 30WCF Re: Did I find a rare model 63? - 03/14/21
Winchester made 2 differnt barrel lengths for the model 63. A 20" and a 23". The 20" barrels were made pre WWII. If your rifle has a serial # less than approximately 50,000 it very well could be an original 20" barrel. The 20" was made up to 1941. I can't add any info regarding the straight stock with checkering. It is correct that the model 03 had a crescent butt plate. The wood fit of the stocks seems fine and the coloring of the butt stock and forearm seem to match. There have been model 63's that were claimed to be deluxe or special order had checkering and fine figured stocks, however I cannot vouch to their authenticity.
Originally Posted by 30WCF
Winchester made 2 differnt barrel lengths for the model 63. A 20" and a 23". The 20" barrels were made pre WWII. If your rifle has a serial # less than approximately 50,000 it very well could be an original 20" barrel. The 20" was made up to 1941. I can't add any info regarding the straight stock with checkering. It is correct that the model 03 had a crescent butt plate. The wood fit of the stocks seems fine and the coloring of the butt stock and forearm seem to match. There have been model 63's that were claimed to be deluxe or special order had checkering and fine figured stocks, however I cannot vouch to their authenticity.

Thank you for some constructive feedback! It’s serial number is 13,xxx so it was made in 1936, which upon further investigation, was in the 20” barrel timeframe. I had a Winchester collector from Minnesota look at it and he said that the Madis book did mention there were very few 63 straight stocks made and that they were very rare. So I’m hoping we got a winner. I don’t live far from the Rock Island Auction place and I’m hoping to have them look at it.
The early ones had the tangs drilled and tapped for a peep sight. Anyone happen to know what serial number range that stopped?

Nice rifle. I have two of them and enjoy shooting them
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Did I find a rare model 63? - 03/16/21

Lotsa bad info here.

The 1903 with 20 " bbl. was made until 1932....with a few going to 1936 .

After "The Rifleman" did a review of the 63 with a 20" bbl. , that was used in the 1st st years of production, and said the rifle would balance better with longer bb. the 63 grew a 23" bbl.

The 63's with the 20 " bbl are a little rare.

One thing to look for in the bbl. is the crown. The 20" bbls. in the '03's and the early 63's weren't crowned in the traditional way. The end of the bbl. looked like it was cut off in a lathe with a parting tool.

As George Madis told me years ago ..."there is nothing written in stone with Winchesters". Parts show up in production of guns that may be outta production especially in the "Boys" rifles , and said parts were assembled.
Here are some more pics...

Posted By: cisco1 Re: Did I find a rare model 63? - 03/16/21

Shoot the damn thing....nothing special.

That 2nd pic is what a factory bbl this vintage would look like ......as would a bbl. shortened inna lathe and not crowned.
I'm just another guy from out of town, no expert.

The wood grain, fit, and checkering say factory 20" 63 to me .....
I'm just another guy from out of town, no expert.

The wood grain, fit, and checkering say factory 20" 63 to me .....
Ive no idea of the history of these. But ive got one in 22lr and 22wmr. Never use them so im in the dark. They were grandpa's
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Did I find a rare model 63? - 03/17/21

NO .22 WMR .
Cisco!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]space bar tap test
Originally Posted by cisco1
NO .22 WMR .
He has a history of posting other senile dementia-related items. No use in explaining to him the difference between the .22 WRF/.22 Remington Special and .22 WMR.

Certifiable,

Looks Nice !!!!

I am jealous !!!

Best,

Chuck

I could tell about a model 63 ...bought at auction in Alaska,.... modified to shoot .22 shorts.
I think you did good - the checkering looks pretty well done and the rifle is in pretty good overall shape. Doesn’t really matter what any of us think - if you like it enjoy it they are great little rifles!!

PennDog
Posted By: ctw Re: Did I find a rare model 63? - 03/19/21
Who is right and who is wrong? Personally I have seen several of these straight grip checkered all early and they all look the same. My guts say probably factory on checkering.
Have you tried to get it lettered ? Back in 84 or 85, I walked into a small Sporting Goods store, the kind that doesn't exist any more,guns , tackle., sharpen your ice skates, school uniforms, ect. Two guys were handling a nice 94 Win., pointing out to the clerk all the things wrong with it , cut bbl, sights. After they left I asked to see it. It had been hunted for sure, but had beautiful wood, a shotgun butt, and checkering that if not original, was old. The clerk said several local experts had told him it was a nice gun that was cut and altered. Looked to me like a beautiful piece to hunt with, 30WCF, so I said I'd pay the $500. He looked at me, opened up a bound book and said $350, rather sell it to someone that will enjoy it and not find fault . I took it home and it grouped pretty well, probly better than I could hold. I showed it to a dealer that I trusted and he pulled the Madis book out. We saw some "almost" guns, and he said get a letter. I think it was $25. back then, but it came back with warehouse dates in late 1897, and seven special order features, exactly as it sat in my hands. I hunted it once or twice, but it became a safe queen, and in 2017 I put it in James Julia April Auction . It brought just under $7K, I cleared $6800 after commisions, and someone is enjoying it now.
It can be seen in catalog #2 of the April 11,12,13 Auction on the top of page 32 if anyone doubts this .
Not to disrespect any of the info you have been given, and understanding that 35 years and the internet have changed the landscape, I would still try for the letter, you have more to gain than lose.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Did I find a rare model 63? - 04/21/21
$650 for a 63 without cracked stocks, pits/rust, missing screws, etc. is a bargain in itself. Anything you find out about it being rare/collectable beyond that is gravy.
That is a nice rifle
Having owned several M/63's in the last 40+ years your rifle looks factory to me. In addition to the smooth buttplate and flat uncrowned muzzle all legit 20" barrel guns should have a smooth trigger.
Neat rifle. Classic action that looks great.

Now the important question: what type of accuracy are you getting?
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Having owned several M/63's in the last 40+ years your rifle looks factory to me. In addition to the smooth buttplate and flat uncrowned muzzle all legit 20" barrel guns should have a smooth trigger.

Thanks for the feedback! I believe the trigger is smooth but it’s buried in my safe, I’ll check tomorrow👍
You can say that again
I know where a first day production 63 is sitting, guy wants an arm and a leg for it.

I got two from the 50s, lgs got them both in and made me too good a deal so I took them home. Buddy has two grooved receiver 63 from his childhood but he's not quite ready to let go to me yet.
Posted By: jermck Re: Did I find a rare model 63? - 05/12/21
I have one with three digit serial number in the mid 200's, first year production. Awesome little guns.
© 24hourcampfire