Home
Posted By: bhoges Picking up a model 64 in 30WCF - 03/20/21
I have a chance to buy one tomorrow. Looks clean from the pictures. Probably getting it for under 500. Its a plain model no checkering for any features. What's the consensus on them?
If it's in decent shape that's a good price, unless it's a carbine (20"), then it's a great price. I think they, and the models 65 and 71, are the most elegant of the Winchester lever actions. I have a couple, a rifle and a carbine, my favorite's the carbine.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
ONe of the best lever actions to come out of New Haven. An old friend of the family sold me one just like that for $50.00 many years ago.
I had one in 25-35, should never have gotten rid of it. Stupid me.....
If you're a shooter/hunter or just a collector desiring a 64 in the arsenal, go for it! I generally prefer a straight grip stock in the '94 lever series. I do have several Model 64 rifles, each coming to me cheaply. Prewar, wartime and postwar. All very similar but for chambering; two in 32 Win Spl. I believe the 30-30 is definitely preferable to the essentially obsolete .32 Win Special. Ammo availability/cost as well as the slow twist of the .32 Spl genre portending earlier wear-accuracy issues. Rifle for rifle, I believe the 30 is more capable and desirable.
My postwar has an aftermarket pad. That said, frankly I do appreciate longer pull lengths and it's more comfortable for me. Up into early fifties, the svelte integral forged front sight ramp was retained and that for me, a few more positive clicks.
They are of course Winchesters and good guns. I'd also definitely & greatly prefer a pre '64 genre. As noted a carbine is great, but disproportionately pricey and collectible for most folks. There, be especially careful of forgeries!
Just my take
Best!
John
Originally Posted by nash22
I had one in 25-35, should never have gotten rid of it. Stupid me.....

That's a rare bird and worth serious coin nowadays. When my father bought his first "real" deer rifle in 1937, he ordered a 64 in .25-35 because he also ran fox with hounds and thought the .25-35 more dual purpose. When deer season rolled around, and the .25 hadn't arrived, he bought a .30 WCF carbine the store had on the shelf. That was his only centerfire rifle till the mid ''60s and accounted for a ton of deer. Probably why I'm jaded towards them.
Is it a 64 or a 64A?
I really like the 64. Just a sharp looking rifle.

$500 seems like a heck of a deal. Prices seem to have gone the way of lumber and gasoline!
The 64 is my favorite of the Winchester type 94s. My plain jane one cost $800 15 years ago. $500 is a great deal.
I saw a Winchester M64 Deluxe in 25-35 at a gun show several years ago, a gentleman had just bought from a guy who walked in with it. He let me handle it for a minute or so, it was used but not abused
Let us know if it's a 64 or 64A.
The Winchester 64 is, to me, is one of the prettiest, most elegant rifles ever made. I fell in love with its look as a teenager in the 1970s. I lusted after the model 64 in 30-30 for my first centerfire rifle (deer gun). Money was tight being one of 5 kids, and they were too expensive in 1976. I opted for Marlin 336a in 30-30 (24" barrel, 2/3 mag tube), which was "Marlin's equivalent" to my dream rifle.

In the end, I love my Marlin 336a, and prefer it over the Winchester model 64. Reasons? It is easy to clean a Marlin 336 from the breach, you can mount a scope on top of the receiver and it is accurate...puts 5 shots in an honest inch at 100 yards ( flash hole uniformed , weight-sorted brass, 32 grains W748 with a Speer 170 grain bullet).

Nonetheless, the Winchester model 64 is an classy looking rifle with enduring elegant proportions. Enjoy it. Its a beauty.
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
The 64 is my favorite of the Winchester type 94s. My plain jane one cost $800 15 years ago. $500 is a great deal.

Great to know. Tomorrow I’ll be picking up a 1935 64 in .32 WS that I should have bought at a show two weeks ago - bought an unfired 99 358 win from him instead. It’s in 90%+ condition with Redfield receiver sight. Gentleman is wanting $950. Hopefully it’s as clean as I remember. I was never a fan of the 94, but I find the 64 simply elegant.
As a '60's teen, I couldn't afford my own deer rifle, but dad's gun guy buddy had a 64 .30 WCF that he loaned me. A very accommodating fork horn showed up on opening morning and just fell over at the shot. What a great start to a fledgling gun kid. I didn't realize what I had at the time, but Bob had some nice stuff and that 64 instead of a 94 was just one example. Lighter to carry with less recoil than a 71, but made to the same high standards with available .30-30 ammunition.
You guys make me want to get mine out
© 24hourcampfire