Home
About 2 months ago I was offered a Winchester 9422 XTR 22lr sight unseen for $250 - to which I agreed to it. I hadn’t gotten around to see or pick it up until today. When the fella pulled it out I was pleasantly surprised by the stock grain and condition. I doubled the agreed upon price, he felt like he won, and I did too.

I’ve always been a sucker for nice wood - especially on production guns that aren’t typically known for it. And although I would’ve brought this one home regardless, I likely would’ve been in a bigger rush to get my hands on it had I known how pretty it is.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Beautiful
Posted By: SS336 Re: I’m a sucker for nice wood - 03/21/21
Wow! You stole that. What a beauty, not a lot with that wood. Congratulations..
Damn that is beautiful.

Even at $500 you stole it.
Like you, I am a sucker for good wood and that one would have followed me home too. Great find!
Thanks guys. It shoots well too. I didn’t test it on paper yet, but the spring red squirrels that were coming to and from my garage yesterday won’t be bothering today.
That is a great looking stock!

I've never shot a Winchester 94/22 but I have a Marlin 39 and it is a blast to shoot.
Tough to beat right there!
Originally Posted by 1911a1
That is a great looking stock!

I've never shot a Winchester 94/22 but I have a Marlin 39 and it is a blast to shoot.

I have more Winchesters (especially 22s) than any other make of firearm, but dare say the marlin 39s were built every bit as well, if not better, than the 94/22s.

They’re both worth owning in my opinion.
250. less then many are asking for a brick of ammo! You better watch for swat. you stole that. beautiful!
Originally Posted by jsgwoodsman
When the fella pulled it out I was pleasantly surprised by the stock grain and condition. I doubled the agreed upon price, he felt like he won, and I did too.

Nice rifle ........ Classy move. smile
I had one of those little Winchesters chambered .22 mag once. Cam't remember why I sold it, but if it had had wood like that one, it would still be mime!

Mike Holmes
Thanks Mike,
It’s appearance is VERY different from my first 9422:

But they both have silky smooth actions and are shooters:
^^^ 5 shot group on a quarter sized target at 25 yards leaned against a tree as a rest
Posted By: pal Re: I’m a sucker for nice wood - 04/29/21
Nice chunka wood.
10 commandments says Though shalt not steal
Beautiful
Holy cow that’s nice.
Originally Posted by killerv
10 commandments says Though shalt not steal

The 10th commandment says: “Thou shall not covet”.
"I’m a sucker for nice wood"

My GF said that same thing on our first date.

Beautiful rifle!
That is very sexy, good find.
Originally Posted by Dr_Lou
"I’m a sucker for nice wood"

My GF said that same thing on our first date.

Beautiful rifle!

HA, thanks
Wow. That's beautiful.
I love it when woodgrain makes a stock look like it is on fire.
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I love it when woodgrain makes a stock look like it is on fire.

Agreed. I had a Ruger red label 20ga (I foolishly sold here on the fire years ago) that had a buttstock with wood grain that looked three dimensional in the sun when you moved the stock side to side.

I figure even if there isn’t any game to get, I can spend my days in the woods looking at stocks like these... although it’s more fun squeezing the trigger!
© 24hourcampfire