Home
Posted By: limabean Pre 64 model 70 question - 04/09/21
I have one that I’m thinking about getting it rebarreled to 284 Winchester. Any recommendations on someone to do the rebarrel?
Posted By: Reba Re: Pre 64 model 70 question - 04/09/21
Ask this question over on Gunsmithing

A guy by the name of Redneck is an expert on Model 70's
Posted By: limabean Re: Pre 64 model 70 question - 04/09/21
Ok thanks
Posted By: beretzs Re: Pre 64 model 70 question - 04/09/21
Kevin Weaver handles my Model 70 work.
Keep in mind the 284 winchester was problematic in the model 70.....
Posted By: Boogan1 Re: Pre 64 model 70 question - 04/10/21
I did this very project and happen to have a friend who works at Kreiger so he did the work for me. Original pre-64 barrel contour but with no sights. 30-06 is the best donor action. I have had zero problems with the .284 in my rifle. In my opinion this is the rifle Winchester missed the boat on and should have included in the pre-64 model 70 caliber line up. Keep this in mind, standard 284 OAL is very short so it will cycle through the model 88 and 100's. You will want to have the chamber cut longer so you can seat the bullet out further which makes the 284 really shine.

Attached picture 16317.jpeg
Attached picture 16318.jpeg
Posted By: limabean Re: Pre 64 model 70 question - 04/10/21
Boogan1, WOW, that rifle is beautiful!
Originally Posted by Boogan1
I did this very project and happen to have a friend who works at Kreiger so he did the work for me. Original pre-64 barrel contour but with no sights. 30-06 is the best donor action. I have had zero problems with the .284 in my rifle. In my opinion this is the rifle Winchester missed the boat on and should have included in the pre-64 model 70 caliber line up. Keep this in mind, standard 284 OAL is very short so it will cycle through the model 88 and 100's. You will want to have the chamber cut longer so you can seat the bullet out further which makes the 284 really shine.

They didn't "miss the boat". There are known non standard chamberings for the pre 64 and the 284 win was one of them. Obviously they tried, but when something is finicky, they are smart and move on to something else that is easy and less problematic. That's a good business approach, which yields more money in the pocket. In a pushfeed model 70, they are alright, but still have issues with a standard magazine box. Read up on the internet and you'll see what I'm talking about. The CRF and standard box magazine that has a staggered feed system has been known to have issues with the 284. A lot of guys went to an inline box magazine to solve some of these issues. The OP can ask Lee to do the work, but if it comes back with issues, that's on him. Good luck to the OP.
© 24hourcampfire