Home
I have a couple pre-64 model 70s. I really need to get a nice fitting flat-head screw driver that fits the action screws better than what I have. I am going to mar up the heads. Anyone have a known one that is a good fit? Or specific size that I need? I need something with a wider head than what I have. Thanks.
Might be time to get a screwdriver set. I use Wheeler but there others maybe/probably even better. Multitudes of flat hollow ground bits come in them- easy to pick the bit that fits the screw head. You'll wonder how you got on without it.
I had to take down my pre-64 several times this winter. I have a nice (or so I thought) set of gunsmith screw drivers, but I did mar up those screws some. None of the various sizes seemed to fit. Would be interested in what others use.
Icouldn't find anything that fit so I made my own. E-mail me at: [email protected] and I'll send you a pic and dimensions. I made mine out of 0-1 tool steel and hardened it with a torch, added a Brownell handle and I'm in business. Reason I made mine is I have a couple of rifles with engraved bottom metal and I didn't want to mar the metal or screw heads.

I use a Brownell’s Magna Tip Super Set.
They have sets for specific Winchester Models, but not for the M70. Might be worth a call to find out what they recommend.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

I use a Brownell’s Magna Tip Super Set.

They have sets for specific Winchester Models, but not for the M70. Might be worth a call to find out what they recommend.

Same here! No Problems!
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Might be time to get a screwdriver set. I use Wheeler but there others maybe/probably even better. Multitudes of flat hollow ground bits come in them- easy to pick the bit that fits the screw head. You'll wonder how you got on without it.

Gave my Wheeler, to my oldest Son! He loves it! BOTH ARE GOOD RECOMENDS!
Anyone use a set of reproduction's screws on the 70's they actually use? Seems like a good way to keep the originals nice.
I made my own screwdriver blades....

I make knives and am able to freehand grind, heat treat and temper them. I made sure I was very careful to get a good, tight, non slip fit. Made one specifically for a Redfield base windage screw as well.
I took a stock driver bit that was to large for the action screws and worked it down slowly with a good file till it fit perfectly.
Took a bit of test and fit but got it done in less than an hour. No buggered screw heads from then on for me. cool
Brownell's Magna Tip 300-3 is the one I use. The screws sold by Tony Dail in TN are good replacements tdail on Ebay, I think.
I have one that started as one of a set of Brownells hollow ground screw drivers that was the right width but just a little too thick. I ground it down until it fit the screws you mention (and nearly all bolt action screws. There may be one out there that fits as well, but I haven’t found it.
Originally Posted by GF1
I have one that started as one of a set of Brownells hollow ground screw drivers that was the right width but just a little too thick. I ground it down until it fit the screws you mention (and nearly all bolt action screws. There may be one out there that fits as well, but I haven’t found it.
Brownell's also has a 'thin-blade' set available.. Those get the most use on Brownings - since BACO seems to love using screws with slots the thickness of razor blades...

added: just checked, and naturally they're 'out of stock'... mad
Thanks for the info. Will grab one soon.
© 24hourcampfire