Home
Posted By: Tahnka Pre 64 M70 sights - 05/04/21
Howdy,

Friend has a 1948 M70 .257 Roberts (inherited). The gun was a regularly used hunting rifle and in condition that reflects that. Both dovetails are empty. (Ramp dovetail and boss dovetail). It is my understanding that the original rear for this was a conventional buckhorn with elevator ramp, much like on a '94. It is also my understanding that a common modification (for scope usage) was to replace the original with a folding rear sight (such as a Lyman #16).

My friend would like to fill those slots. Originality is not imperative (and may be cost prohibitive). Functionality and appearance are paramount, though the rifle is scoped. For this gun, and in this caliber (.257 Roberts):

What would be the proper rear sight height to order? (Lyman offers .345, .400, and.500.) We are not wed to the Lyman: its just what we have discovered so far.
What would be a compatible front sight?

Model 70 gurus may save us a lot of trial and error. Recommendations from someone who has accomplished this? The gun will go afield again for the first time in decades this fall. It needs to be complete.

Thanks in advance for all assistance rendered.

Posted By: eamyrick Re: Pre 64 M70 sights - 05/04/21
Give Justin at pre64.com and email or call. He should have what you are looking for.
Posted By: Tahnka Re: Pre 64 M70 sights - 05/05/21
''preciate that.
© 24hourcampfire