Home
Posted By: Calhoun Old box.. - 05/21/21
I think it is, at least. Can anybody put an approximate date range on this? What do these sell for nowadays? The only ones I can find that are similar are shotshell boxes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Old box.. - 05/21/21
That’s a cool find!
Posted By: jsgwoodsman Re: Old box.. - 05/21/21
Someone out there must have that info. I have a couple early wooden ammo crates I’d love to know more about myself.

Good looking box!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Old box.. - 05/21/21
It still says Winchester Repeating Arms rather than Olin or anything else, I'd think that would be a clue?

For Savage stuff, I can find answers. Not up on my Winchester stuff yet.

Trying to think if I have 50 boxes of 300 Savage ammo in total to fill it up wtih. I'm guessing I'm probably 50% short... grin
Posted By: jsgwoodsman Re: Old box.. - 05/21/21
I am guessing only, but would think the quickest way to narrow it down would be cross referencing that specific ammo to find a DOM...
I'll have to see if I can dig out my Winchester Cartridge Boxes book by Giles/Shuey
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Old box.. - 05/21/21

Rory, certainly not an expert, but I’ve had 10-15 wooden Winchester ammo boxes over the years (still have a bunch). The oldest wooden boxes are dovetailed. Not based on anything, but I’d say your box with the nails is post war. Prices are all over the place depending upon condition and what caliber ammo they held and as always how badly someone wants one. $50.00 - $75.00, but have seen them go for double that on the auction sites.
There are a lot more Shotshell boxes.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Old box.. - 05/21/21
Yeah, I've seen earlier crates with the dovetailed joints. I wouldn't be surprised if it was from the 50's, but wouldn't be surprised if it was from the 30's either. I paid a bit more than that range, but that's okay.. I wanted it. grin
Posted By: easttex Re: Old box.. - 05/22/21
Most of the old boxes had what are called finger joints, although someone may have made some with dovetails. Personally I have never seen a box with dovetails. I have two wooden boxes that were cases of Dupont dynamite. They are about 2' x 3'. I would like to know what they weighed when full?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Old box.. - 05/22/21
Somebody might want this one. I've seen them like this, or more of a dovetail.

http://www.rockymountaindecor.com/Winchester-Ammo-Box.html

[Linked Image from rockymountaindecor.com]
Posted By: Earlyagain Re: Old box.. - 05/23/21
There's a 66 in black ink on the box. Seems like the right time frame ammo marked Super Speed. Maybe?

How long was non-mecuric a selling point?
Be nice to have the original contents......
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Old box.. - 05/23/21
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Nope. Not dovetails, finger joints. I've never seen a dovetailed mass produced ammo shipping case.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Old box.. - 05/23/21
But.. are you sure?

[Linked Image from media.sandhills.com]
Posted By: kingston Re: Old box.. - 05/23/21
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Nope. Not dovetails, finger joints. I've never seen a dovetailed mass produced ammo shipping case.

The joinery pictured is called a box joint. Finger joints are used to join in length, i.e. to make long boards out of short boards.
Posted By: easttex Re: Old box.. - 05/23/21
Thanks Calhoun, first dovetails IRC seeing.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Old box.. - 05/23/21
Think I saw some Russian ammo crates with dovetail joints also. But gnoahh is right, vast majority are finger/box joints from what I see.
© 24hourcampfire