Home
Posted By: BKinSD Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/26/21
I finally located and bought a .270 FW. Like others on here Im a sucker for great wood, and this one has a really nice stock with grain running from stock through the handle and up to the forearm.

I'll probably use it to shoot deer in open country up here on the plains, shots from 100-300 yards probably. Maybe longer but not alot. What kind of scope would you fellers put on it?
Sounds like a great rifle. My favorite combo on one of these rifles is a Burris ffII 3-9×40 with ballistic plex reticle in leupold dual dovetail rings and bases.

Leupold M8 Gloss, 4X or 6X in low rings on my Fwts. Classic scopes on classic guns, to my eye just about perfect.

Just picked up another 6X here in the Classifieds a couple days ago.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/26/21
I just put an S&B Klassik 6x42 on my P64 270 Fwt. Love it.

It’s my main deer rifle so I wanted the best at early and late.

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...920&height=1080&fit=bounds[/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...920&height=1080&fit=bounds[/img]
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/26/21
These work for me but the mounts are a little pricey and a little tricky to install. 270 Fwt. w/ 2.5x8x36 Leupold and Conetrol mounts.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Second is '06 Fwt w/ 3x9x40 leupold and Conetrol mounts

Posted By: BKinSD Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/26/21
Great ideas!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/26/21
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Leupold M8 Gloss, 4X or 6X in low rings on my Fwts. Classic scopes on classic guns, to my eye just about perfect.

My vote on the M8 4x. Old school gloss looks right on old rifles but still a decent scope w/o sacrificing too much quality.

I just put that exact scope on a 721 in 300H&H.
Got 2 pre 64 fwts, one has a 2.5x8 and the other a 3.5x10x40 (leupolds). As far as looks go I prefer the 2.5x8, a bit more in proportion to the rifle. I think Conetrols looks great, dual dovetails look good also but the L stamp on the newest ones looks cheap, and fwiw talley LW work well, to date anyways! Next scope I buy may well be a swarovski z3 if I can find one, and at a reasonable price!
I did use a fxll 4x33 last year on my 06 fwt and was surprisingly comfortable with that setup while looking for a moose.
For deer I prefer to have the option of a bit more magnification in case I have to thread the needle through a small opening in the brush.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/26/21
I might do 6x42...any mounting considerations on that? Do the burris scopes come in gloss?
Posted By: beretzs Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/26/21
I think the 6x42’s work great. Good tube length and you can mount them low.
I have a Leupold Vari-XII 3-9x on my .30-06 FWT, other FWT's wear Vari-XII 2-7x scopes.

Just picked up another 6X here in the Classifieds a couple days ago.

+1
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/26/21
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Got 2 pre 64 fwts, one has a 2.5x8 and the other a 3.5x10x40 (leupolds). As far as looks go I prefer the 2.5x8, a bit more in proportion to the rifle. I think Conetrols looks great, dual dovetails look good also but the L stamp on the newest ones looks cheap, and fwiw talley LW work well, to date anyways! Next scope I buy may well be a swarovski z3 if I can find one, and at a reasonable price!

I used the LW Talleys when I updated my old pre 64, and thought they looked fine. Son has it now. Recently picked up a couple pairs of classic Weavers based on happy reports here. Made in USA, of all places. Something will be getting a set soon. For certain, they look period-correct.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/26/21
Very handsome.
Posted By: TenX Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/26/21
I would suggest Leupold VariX II 3x9C. Slightly smaller version of what other have recommended. No scope mounts higher than LOW for me. I would prefer a variable since you said your shots might vary by 200-300 yards. More power might be nice on those long shot occasions but the reality is you will probably set on 4 or 5 and leave it be.
Phil
Posted By: handwerk Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/27/21
In it's factory wood stock, a leupy 2.5-8x36 is just natural, now those of mine in a MCM edge stock get one of the following: a Swaro Z3, Kahles 3-9x42 or a Zeiss Diavari 3-9x42.

Originally Posted by BKinSD
I might do 6x42...any mounting considerations on that? Do the burris scopes come in gloss?

Prefer the look of a 6X36
BKinSD: My pre-64 Model 70 in 270 Winchester caliber has been an especially "successful" Rifle for me, on all manner of game, from Blacktail Deer to Elk to Antelope to Mule Deer to Mt. Goats to Whitetail Deer and Black Bear!
I have a Leupold 3.5x10 variable scope on mine with A/O as that was the "Cat's Meow" back then.
I honestly feel a Leupold 4x12 with A/O would suit YOUR purposes even better than a 3.5x10 on your 270.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: DSF Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/28/21
I've used a 2.5x8x36 on mine for years, two years ago in WY we spotted a mulie buck bedded from a mile or so away, we got across the canyon from him 411 yards, couldn't get any closer. Sun was setting by then and the light was fading, I'm sure it was my aging eyes but it took me several minutes to find him in by scope. I like the way it looks on my rifle but switched it out with 6 x42 leupold, havent hunted with it yet.
Originally Posted by DSF
I've used a 2.5x8x36 on mine for years, two years ago in WY we spotted a mulie buck bedded from a mile or so away, we got across the canyon from him 411 yards, couldn't get any closer. Sun was setting by then and the light was fading, I'm sure it was my aging eyes but it took me several minutes to find him in by scope. I like the way it looks on my rifle but switched it out with 6 x42 leupold, havent hunted with it yet.

So are you thinking a 6x42 is going to be better than the 2.5-8 in the scenario outlined in your previous hunt? I personally wouldnt be using either scope you mentioned in your post, under those conditions.

My eyes don’t like anything more than a 3.5-10 these days. I’m a big fan of a 6x fixed as well.

3-9 on this Featherweight 30-06
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

3.5-10 on a 280 Featherweight
Originally Posted by gunnut308

My eyes don’t like anything more than a 3.5-10 these days. I’m a big fan of a 6x fixed as well.

3-9 on this Featherweight 30-06

3.5-10 on a 280 Featherweight

The 3.5-10x40's I've had always seemed like the perfect match for these rifles, until they started having tracking issues and then totally puking.
Dang....

Posted By: gunscrew Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/28/21
mine will get leupold 6 x 42 if they (leupold) will ever send it to me.
Posted By: RCflash Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/28/21
About 30 years ago I put a Leupold Vari-x II 2 x 7 on my 270 Model 70 with Conetrol mounts.

Shoots really well with the loads i worked up. Have used the 7 x when i check the zero, but usually hunt with the power at about 3. Longest shot so far has been about 100+ yards.... hunting in sometimes brushy forest. Have never regretted the power choice.
30-06 FWT with a Leupold 6X42, Talleys.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by woods_walker
30-06 FWT with a Leupold 6X42, Talleys.

[Linked Image]

Perfection sir!! Great looking fwt.

Specs on the tractor please.. smile

M70’s and Leupold’s go together like peas and carrots
Thank you..

JD 4105 Compact Utility Tractor. Works well for my horse pasture maintenance and landscaping work. Mowing, harrowing, grooming trails, grading, post holes, tree planting, dumping limestone gravel and rip rock. Need another larger tractor though for bigger jobs...
Originally Posted by RCflash
About 30 years ago I put a Leupold Vari-x II 2 x 7 on my 270 Model 70 with Conetrol mounts.

Shoots really well with the loads i worked up. Have used the 7 x when i check the zero, but usually hunt with the power at about 3. Longest shot so far has been about 100+ yards.... hunting in sometimes brushy forest. Have never regretted the power choice.

For 100 yards, I'd just use the factory irons.. Damn..
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/29/21
Originally Posted by SuperCub

My vote on the M8 4x. Old school gloss looks right on old rifles but still a decent scope w/o sacrificing too much quality.

I just put that exact scope on a 721 in 300H&H.

Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/29/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by RCflash

For 100 yards, I'd just use the factory irons.. Damn..

Yeah he could but remember using a scope allows you to see holes in the brush or limbs in the way. It also allows you to see and shoot better in the low light at the end of the day when pressured deer are moving.
M8 4x like on my 1953 M70 .308 feather weight,
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: EdM Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/29/21
Mine wears a Vari-X-III 3.5-10X in Conetrols and I think the proportions are fine.

Posted By: lynntelk Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/29/21
On my 1954 year model I used a Leupold 2.5x8. On my 1955 I used a Swarovski 3x9 with a #4. Like the 3x9 the best.
Posted By: DSF Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/30/21
The 6x42 is brighter in my eyes towards dark, I've used both a lot over the years. Have you ever used either of the scopes I mentioned for hunting? I dont post unless I think its helpful to the question asked. I notice you post real often, and have a lot to say
My post was a reply to BSA
Originally Posted by DSF
The 6x42 is brighter in my eyes towards dark, I've used both a lot over the years. Have you ever used either of the scopes I mentioned for hunting? I dont post unless I think its helpful to the question asked. I notice you post real often, and have a lot to say

I've used a lot of chidt and would not use any of the scopes you are talking about for making shots out to 300 yards (Op's requirement). Let alone 411 like you stated in your previous post. Does that answer your question? What's laughable is I've watched a lot of guys try to make 400 yard shots with hunting rifles they thought were pretty accurate. Things don't go the way you or they think they would. How much do you practice at your "411 yards" you mentioned, and is it with the 6x42 or 2.5-8x36? If you were to make the 411 yard shot, how would you approach it? How much drop does the bullet make at that distance and how are you going to adjust for it? There's a lot of guys here that think they know, but how many can really make that shot consistently with a 2.5-8x36 or 6x42 Leupold and fwt rifle. The reason I post a lot is because there is a lot of bs here, some of it has to be called out.
wink I've posted what I'd consider minimum, but works damn good for shots the OP is asking about. The ballistic plex is a proven reticle as well and 9x works at 300 yards, but from a "hunting" standpoint, that's the minimum I'd personally use at that distance, and I shoot a pretty damn accurate fwt rifle. If your's isn't glass bedded and highly accurized, I don't think its on par with the accuracy mine produces. So there's that...
Posted By: beretzs Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/30/21
My 270 is zeroed old school, 3” high at 100 and about 10” low at 400. In my brain that’s why the 270 is so good for the 0-400 big buck, glass, point and shoot. You don’t have time to monkey around with them, judge and press.

That’s Tipped Bear Claw at 3150. Works like a charm up close as well.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by DSF

I've used a lot of chidt and would not use any of the scopes you are talking about for making shots out to 300 yards (Op's requirement). Let alone 411 like you stated in your previous post. Does that answer your question? What's laughable is I've watched a lot of guys try to make 400 yard shots with hunting rifles they thought were pretty accurate. Things don't go the way you or they think they would. How much do you practice at your "411 yards" you mentioned, and is it with the 6x42 or 2.5-8x36? If you were to make the 411 yard shot, how would you approach it? How much drop does the bullet make at that distance and how are you going to adjust for it? There's a lot of guys here that think they know, but how many can really make that shot consistently with a 2.5-8x36 or 6x42 Leupold and fwt rifle. The reason I post a lot is because there is a lot of bs here, some of it has to be called out.
wink I've posted what I'd consider minimum, but works damn good for shots the OP is asking about. The ballistic plex is a proven reticle as well and 9x works at 300 yards, but from a "hunting" standpoint, that's the minimum I'd personally use at that distance, and I shoot a pretty damn accurate fwt rifle. If your's isn't glass bedded and highly accurized, I don't think its on par with the accuracy mine produces. So there's that...

I dont know how much experience you have so I won't comment on it, I like Burris scopes also. If you practice much at longer ranges 300-500 yards You dont need fancy equipment and the scopes mentioned work fine. I won't shoot past 400 at a big game animal but like to practice shooting farther. Deer and elk are a big target at those ranges, if you feel the 3x9 ballista plex is only good to 300 yards with a .270 I'm going to guess you havent used it much. But I cant say for sure, as I stated at the beginning I dont how much experience you have.

I hunt a good friends farm in Sherburne, NY. Have shot a few nice bucks leaving the swamp and getting ready to cross the field at 250 yards or so. Remington 700 Classic, 270 and a 4X Leupold. All relatively easy, one shot kills shooting braced from ambush. IMHO a perfect rig, never felt I was using a scope that wasn’t up to the job.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Scope for a pre-64 270 FW - 05/30/21
I have nowhere around here to practice past 200 yards. I know the ballistics of my hunting bullets and feel confident in taking a 300 yard shot with a damn good rest, but no further. I've passed up a few trophy bucks at longer ranges because I'm not about to risk a goat rope scenario just for the sake of maybe killing something.

Funny too how often that 400 yard shot turns out to be 250 when lasered.

My 1954 standard grade .30-06 wears a 3-9 Vari-x III and does all I require of it. But the thing weighs a ton and I take it afield less and less as I age.
Swaro Z3 3-9×36 on my .30-06 fwt. Just about perfect.
For reference I have a vintage Redfield 2-7 on mine

Attached picture 3141C925-949C-4FA7-ADF4-F1091E8611BF.jpeg
Attached picture 589FB6CB-A61D-4CBD-A143-318567A5D5E3.jpeg
Keep it period correct with a Bausch and Lomb Balvar scope. I suggest a 8 or 8A at 2.5-8X. Those external adjustment mounts are cool, and B&L glass is excellent.
Leupold Vari-XII 2-7x or 3-9x is all any of my pre'64's have ever been equipped with starting in 1975 till the present. Never had a Leupold scope fail to perform as they should.
Have an old gloss 2-7 Leupold in weaver bases and rings on my pre-64 270, perfect fit imho, no eye box trouble with the stubby factory LOP, i like 14" LOP's on custom stocks i order, so this one's fine so set up, a great little rifle that shoots better than it should with skinny barrel and no bed or float.
In the early 80s I bought a new Leupold 2x7. I've used it more than any scope I've owned, and it is the only scope I've ever had on my 1953 M70 .270 standard grade. Have used it for almost all of my coyote calling as well as deer from deep woods to open country. I can't think of anything that would work better for me and that rifle.
© 24hourcampfire