Home
Posted By: TBear47 Winchester 94 serial #301 - 07/24/21
About 30 years ago I acquired this 94 in 32 special at a non collector price which has faded in my memory. I used it several years ago to shoot 2 boar in Florida. Metal in great shape & bore is excellent.
Someone replaced the original butt plate(?) with an ill fitting rubber butt pad & added sling swivels. The butt stock is well scratched so obviously any collector value, if any, has been destroyed. I'm thinking of lightly sanding the butt stock & fore end refinishing & cutting off the I'll fitting butt pad. Any ideas what butt plate might have came on this gun?
If I refinish are there instructions on some website?
Thanks for any input. I have 2- 94's which I plan to pass on to my daughters among other guns.
tbear
TBEAR,
Something doesn't make sense to me.
In your title you say Winchester 94, okay I get that, # 301, would indicate date of mfg. is 1894, the first year that Winchester mfg. the Model 94.
However, Winchester didn't come out with the .32 caliber Winchester Special until 1902!

I would love to see pics, and even the Serial #, as a Winchester Survey to identify existing Winchester is ongoing!
Thanks
Posted By: Levers Re: Winchester 94 serial #301 - 07/24/21
Need good photos to help. Perhaps, it's been rebarreled. Perhaps, it's a model 55 receiver
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Winchester 94 serial #301 - 07/24/21
sounds like an interesting gun. Would love to know the history that made it look the way it is.
Cabella's, in Woodbury, has a pretty nice one with minor scratches, pre-64, 1960 mfg. for $789.00 currently!
Decent Rifle, 20 inch barrel, looks like it would make a great shooter!

Shows the correct, serrated, checkered, steel butt plate that was originally asked by TBear47!
Posted By: TBear47 Re: Winchester 94 serial #301 - 07/24/21
It's been so long since I posted photos I have forgotten. I could post on my email & give you that.
This gun stock is identical to another 94 in 30-30 I pulled out of the gun safe. The ser. # 2401076 has a steel butt plate of course & has a receiver sight mounted. These guns are identical in stock design.
The cal. 32 Special has had the butt changed.
I have many rifles, but several years ago decided to use the 32 S. on boar & it shot very accurate & the bore & metal is excellent. Thanks for all the input.
tbear
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Winchester 94 serial #301 - 07/24/21
The thing to consider is how much shorter the stock will be after removing the pad and installing a plate. Perhaps the answer lies in a replacement pad- a solid one that speaks of a century old classiness? (Since any collector value is gone anyway?)
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
The thing to consider is how much shorter the stock will be after removing the pad and installing a plate. Perhaps the answer lies in a replacement pad- a solid one that speaks of a century old classiness? (Since any collector value is gone anyway?)

I agree!
Posted By: TBear47 Re: Winchester 94 serial #301 - 07/24/21
I compared the 2 94"s side by side. The 32 S is about 1" longer than the 30-30 of the same design. Apparently some previous owner simply removed the original steel butt plate & glued a rubber pad on.
Might try & saw the rubber pad off. What would be the possibility of finding a correct butt plate? If I try & do a little refinishing of the stock I could remove the sling swivel & fill the hole. Or I could leave the rifle sling in place. Decisions decisions. Still doesn't explain the serial number vs caliber question..
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Winchester 94 serial #301 - 07/25/21
You sure the pad isn't screwed on? Look closely.
Posted By: Region6 Re: Winchester 94 serial #301 - 07/25/21

Thinking the same thing.
Originally Posted by TBear47
I compared the 2 94"s side by side. The 32 S is about 1" longer than the 30-30 of the same design. Apparently some previous owner simply removed the original steel butt plate & glued a rubber pad on.
Might try & saw the rubber pad off. What would be the possibility of finding a correct butt plate? If I try & do a little refinishing of the stock I could remove the sling swivel & fill the hole. Or I could leave the rifle sling in place. Decisions decisions. Still doesn't explain the serial number vs caliber question..

So if you've compared them side by side, then you can surely send PICS?

Originally Posted by Region6

Thinking the same thing.

Exactly guys!
The holes get kinda squished together, and closed up, as you know.
It can be hard to tell!
Posted By: TBear47 Re: Winchester 94 serial #301 - 07/25/21
As usual, I am wrong. The I'll fitting butt pad is indeed screwed on. I will probably remove & search for a steel replacement. What's the possibility of finding a correct plate? Will also do some stock refinishing. Sent email photos to Campfire Member. Thanks for all the help.
tbear
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Pictures for TBear47
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Winchester 94 serial #301 - 07/25/21
Interesting!
Posted By: Levers Re: Winchester 94 serial #301 - 07/25/21
The wood is from the 50s or 60s.

The barrel is probably from the same time frame.

Without seeing the upper tang marking, it's hard to tell whether that's an antique 1894 receiver or a model 55.

I think I'd get the buttplate you like and use it as a shooter. The correct buttplate for that stock is the last pre 64 model 94 plate.
Originally Posted by TBear47
As usual, I am wrong. The I'll fitting butt pad is indeed screwed on. I will probably remove & search for a steel replacement. What's the possibility of finding a correct plate? Will also do some stock refinishing. Sent email photos to Campfire Member. Thanks for all the help.
tbear

TBEAR,
Heck, I'm wrong more than I'm right!!!
It's us that don't admit it that gets into trouble!
Glad your able to take that off, and then see what you need for a butt plate, if anything.
I had a Winchester, with a red rubber soft recoil pad screwed over the top of the original hard rubber/plastic like butt pad using the same screw holes, so you never know!
Some of us have seen a few things and are willing to help.
A great community!

The serial#looks like it's been whited out with a paint stick!
Can't really tell from your pics what the heck is going on there, but something's definitely not Correct!

The Winchester Definitive Proof is clearly visible on the top of receiver in the first pic. Winchester began using this proof in 1906. That said, it’s a post war gun with what looks like the shorter forend which would make it a later 50’’s or 60’s gun. Don’t know what’s going on with the S/N, a clearer pic would be very helpful.
You need what’s referred to as a checkered steel butt plate, available on eBay for $50.00 + or -. It’s the same plate as the one on your other gun.
Nothing wrong with the stock, refinishing it will only serve to further devalue the gun.
This whole thread makes very little sense.
Posted By: TBear47 Re: Winchester 94 serial #301 - 07/25/21
Originally Posted by Poconojack

The Winchester Definitive Proof is clearly visible on the top of receiver in the first pic. Winchester began using this proof in 1906. That said, it’s a post war gun with what looks like the shorter forend which would make it a later 50’’s or 60’s gun. Don’t know what’s going on with the S/N, a clearer pic would be very helpful.
You need what’s referred to as a checkered steel butt plate, available on eBay for $50.00 + or -. It’s the same plate as the one on your other gun.
Nothing wrong with the stock, refinishing it will only serve to further devalue the gun.
This whole thread makes very little sense.
Posted By: TBear47 Re: Winchester 94 serial #301 - 07/26/21
Any idea of value?
Posted By: Levers Re: Winchester 94 serial #301 - 07/26/21
Shooter value
I would need better, and more clearer pics with distinctive pics of proof marks, serial # stamping,
Roll die stamping of The Winchester logo, Barrel measurements, etc.........

I think you get my drift!

It's to hard to place a value with the speculative info you provided so far!

I'm not trying to sound what ever, or argue, here, For me I just don't have enough to go on! Sorry!
Im wondering if someone didnt grind /file number off and restamp. With the short forend and pic of rear sight, Im thinking a 50's rifle.
EXACTLY!
© 24hourcampfire