Home
Posted By: Iclimb USA made 70 fwts wsm contour - 07/26/21
Hoping y’all might be able to answer a question for me....
I have a USA made m70 fwt crf and it was a 300wsm...stock was great so I stripped it and plan on refinishing for use with a (same action) 22-250ai build (from a different donnor 70 fwt) ... I noticed, along with I’ve read in the past that there is a different contour used in the wsm mod 70 fwt’s....well I can confirm this as my 22-250 barrel is swimming in the Contour...I planned on using a lija dupe for the build but they weren’t a ton of help (although very nice and willing) in the nuances of the wsm contour vs fwt contour....the conclusion was to send the wsm barrel in for a spec out and dupe that barrel....

All that said, did the wsm fwt’s have their own specific contour or is it a standard mod 70 contour in a fwt stock?
Secondly is there a “standard” contour that makers use, ie a #2, that is very close to a sporter mod 70 that I would be able to fit in the fwt stock?

If all that makes sense...I know you Winchester guys will know...thanks
Originally Posted by Iclimb
Hoping y’all might be able to answer a question for me....
I have a USA made m70 fwt crf and it was a 300wsm...stock was great so I stripped it and plan on refinishing for use with a (same action) 22-250ai build (from a different donnor 70 fwt) ... I noticed, along with I’ve read in the past that there is a different contour used in the wsm mod 70 fwt’s....well I can confirm this as my 22-250 barrel is swimming in the Contour...I planned on using a lija dupe for the build but they weren’t a ton of help (although very nice and willing) in the nuances of the wsm contour vs fwt contour....the conclusion was to send the wsm barrel in for a spec out and dupe that barrel....

All that said, did the wsm fwt’s have their own specific contour or is it a standard mod 70 contour in a fwt stock?
Secondly is there a “standard” contour that makers use, ie a #2, that is very close to a sporter mod 70 that I would be able to fit in the fwt stock?

If all that makes sense...I know you Winchester guys will know...thanks

When you say "USA made", are you referring to Winchester or BACO? The baco's are just sporter weight barrels. They are not a true "featherweight" contour. Why they call them that is beyond me. There's a huge difference between a FWT barrel and a standard wt barrel. Here's a real American made featherweight barrel:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

300WSM BACO "Featherweight":
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
New Haven crf classic guns are the same; standard sporter contour.
All the magnum classic “featherweights” wear this contour (including the all terrain.)
© 24hourcampfire