Home
Just picked up the top two rifles (one thanks to CreekChub) to keep the bottom company.
1) 257 Roberts w/ Leupold VX-iii 1.5-5x20 gloss G1613298
2) 25/06 w/ Leupold Compact 3-9x33 gloss G1963445
3) 30/06 w/ Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 gloss G2054515
1) bought new 1/21/83
2) dates to 1989
3) bought new old stock as a holdover in 1998 but not sure on DOM
All have the USRA red pad

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Good on you.

Hate for that bottom beauty to be lonely!
Now I need to try to find mine. I believe I have a 7x57 and a 280.
160 - Two calibers I don’t have…
I owned a few over the years - a .257R, 7x57, and a 6.5x55. I kind of miss all of them for they were ergonomically comfy and shot great but I really miss that 6.5x55....
I don’t believe I’ve even handled a 6.5x55. But I would be happy to add one to the stable.
Beautiful
Originally Posted by jsgwoodsman
I don’t believe I’ve even handled a 6.5x55. But I would be happy to add one to the stable.

I have been keeping my eye open for one too, preferably with open sights. I really NEED to downsize but I will always have room for more model 70's.
That caliber seems “right” with the iron sights. More of a European feel!
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Good on you.

Hear you & 'equal opportunity'! 'Hate for 'any' beauty's bottom to be lonely!' smile smile smile And moving right along...

Reiterating another Post, my '82 by SN, 7mm in this series. That mauser chambering a strong 'siren's song'! Ever another bolt action Model 70 since in 7x57? Never heard of such!

Thanks for sharing those 'beauties'!

Best & Stay Safe!
John
I’m a pre64 or Stainless Classic guy but I have to admit, if either of these followed me home, I’d find a place for them. #2 Would be my favorite. All very sweet! I like your choice of glass too.
Well in keeping with the “trio theme”of this thread I will post my trio of post 64 Featherweights. Top is Stainless Classic 30-06 with Leo VariXIII 3.5x10 40mm. Although it is called a Stainless Classic, I 100% consider it a Featherweight. Bottom 2 are XTR FWT’s both in 7x57. In keeping with the vintage look & tradition, the middle has a Denver Redfield Widefield 3x9 and bottom a Denver Redfield 2x7. Scopes still have clear, very nice optics. I killed my limit of two bucks last season with the bottom two 7 x 57’s. This season the stainless classic gets a “shot or two”.

Attached picture CFE58751-9669-4DE7-B7FB-0F7A824E6FD0.jpeg
Beautiful!
A local gun shop has a NIB Winchester Model 70 XTR FWT in 7x57 for sale. They have it priced at $2000.
Originally Posted by iskra
[quote=AKwolverine]Good on you.

Hear you & 'equal opportunity'! 'Hate for 'any' beauty's bottom to be lonely!' smile smile smile And moving right along...

Haha - you’re not alone!
I’ve always wanted a stainless 30/06 to go with my blued 30/06. My only apprehension in buying one is that it would replace the blued version I’ve hunted with for the last 22 years - but I suppose there’s only one way to find out.
Nice group goober!
Originally Posted by pat8386
A local gun shop has a NIB Winchester Model 70 XTR FWT in 7x57 for sale. They have it priced at $2000.

Whoooooo-weeeee
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...eatherweight-6-5x55.cfm?gun_id=101713796

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...erweight-7mm-mauser.cfm?gun_id=101713710
That 6.5 is a decent deal…hmmmmm
Originally Posted by jsgwoodsman
That 6.5 is a decent deal…hmmmmm

Sold.

Jsg?
I would’ve been a buyer on it - but it wasn’t me unfortunately
.280 XTR Featherweight
I had 3 sighting systems on my 6.5: factory fold down rear sight, Lyman 48 receiver sight, and low Burris Z's that I treated like QD mounts. (Did require carrying a screw driver in my pack, but I found that it returned to zero dead-nuts when taking it on and off. I'm a fanboy of Griffin&Howe QD mounts but I couldn't bring myself to d/t a bunch of extra holes in that one.)

I remember back in 1986 when I got it, I took it out of the box, installed a Leupold 1.5-5 on it, and bore sighted it. While doing yard work that afternoon I spied a groundhog down over the fields 200+ yards away. Thinking "What the hell, I'll either hit and kill it or miss it and give him something to tell his grandkids about." First shot down the tube, not sighted in, blew that 'hog to flinders. I took at as a sign, and the gun truly was kind of magical for me for quite a few years after that.
I LOVE the push feed XTR Featherweights!
gnoahhh,

Sounds like a NFS rifle to me!

How did you like the Lyman 48?
Nice group of rifles, had one from 1980 in.270, legit slip away
Originally Posted by Dobegrant
Nice group of rifles, had one from 1980 in.270, legit slip away
Not introduced until 1981.
I have three Featherweights, all from the 80s production and all push feed.

1. 7mm Mauser
2. 6.5 x 55, Win Tuff Laminate Stock
3. 223

would love to expand my collection out to ( even if a Rebarrel Job)
1. 6mm Remington
2. 257 Roberts
3. 250 Savage

if they came along tho...
1. 243

The later Featherweights and the Remington 700 Original Mountain Rifles, are the most desirable by me personally....
I’d like them all!
But … my desires OCCASIONALLY outpace my “needs”
Ha
6mm in the xtr featherweight extremely hard one to find. I held one in my greasy hands at a gunshow in Colorado, but I was on the hunt for a wra made xtr featherweight in a 06. I should’ve bought it.. the 257 Roberts another hard one to find but they are out there.
Beautiful 7x57
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

I’m no expert but that has aftermarket bottom metal on it, and that’s a baco featherweight stock. They are notorious for being thick in the grip/wrist area.. none the less nice looking rifle.
Originally Posted by 79S

I’m no expert but that has aftermarket bottom metal on it, and that’s a baco featherweight stock. They are notorious for being thick in the grip/wrist area.. none the less nice looking rifle.

Possibly refinished as well…?
Looks like Super Grade studs to attach a sling.... Pretty sure that's not original, FWIW
I make no claims as to originality, just that it's a beautiful rifle.
I make no claims as to originality, just that it's a beautiful rifle.

That it is!
Which reminds me I have two Fwts. in 7mm Mauser ANIB and a couple of Rem. Mt. rifles in 7x57 as well - I think ANIB to sell - maybe. I only need some time here to get photos.
Originally Posted by 79S
6mm in the xtr featherweight extremely hard one to find. I held one in my greasy hands at a gunshow in Colorado, but I was on the hunt for a wra made xtr featherweight in a 06. I should’ve bought it.. the 257 Roberts another hard one to find but they are out there.

6mm rem would been awesome.. I probably would have bought that one..
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Which reminds me I have two Fwts. in 7mm Mauser ANIB and a couple of Rem. Mt. rifles in 7x57 as well - I think ANIB to sell - maybe. I only need some time here to get photos.

Post them up man.. Set up an IMGUR account. Its easy and free.. Then you can post pictures like this easy peasy...

I have a 7mm-08 crf featherweight. 1994 manufacture. I prefer my '90 model 700 mtn also in 7mm-08 although for off hand shooting the Winchester is much steadier for me. That pencil barrel on the Remington can take getting used to.
Originally Posted by DeWman
I have a 7mm-08 crf featherweight. 1994 manufacture. I prefer my '90 model 700 mtn also in 7mm-08 although for off hand shooting the Winchester is much steadier for me. That pencil barrel on the Remington can take getting used to.

While neither of the rifles you mention are "XTR's", I'm sure they are pretty nice rifles.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by DeWman

While neither of the rifles you mention are "XTR's", I'm sure they are pretty nice rifles.

Point taken
Have to admit... Only as USRA emerging 'from closet' in '82 and with the "XTR" in 7x57 debut... Inevitable allure! Making one mine! That said, the pregnant "Otherwise"! Too indoctrinated perhaps! Ever yet, clicking my heels at the whisper of that 'other' magic three letter term... "CRF!"

Objectively to yield equal time to the "PF" genre of the world. Truly a great many fine guns of that fashion! But... Stuck with my heritage... And loving it!
Just a highly personal... My take!
Best!
John
I've owned a 7x57 and a 308 SA but they are gone now.

Currently own a 270 and a 280.

I'd part with the 270 if somebody looking for one. Has a gloss Leupold Vx-ll 3-9x40 on it. It's a nice rig.
This one's a beauty:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/913400471
© 24hourcampfire