Home
Hi,

I have an longtime older friend who is now in his mid to upper 80's who has a Winchester Model 70 in .257 Roberts, which he bought new in 1954. It is all original and in good shape, although he did hunt with it. I haven't seen it for a few years so can't really give a percentage of condition, but let's just say 90-95% should cover it. It is unaltered with no added pad or anything like that. I know a few years back, these were bringing in the $2000+ range, but I think they have dropped off some??? We always jokingly went back and forth on when he was going to sell me his .257, but I never thought I would have a chance at the rifle, because I figured his son would want it. Well, he called me the other day and says he talked it over with his wife and son, and they decided they would sell it to me. We talked a little about price, and he said he doesn't want that big money like they were going for a few years back, but thought it should be worth $1600-$1800. I feel that is a fair price for both, but wanted to check in here and see if we are in the ballpark. I feel fortunate that he is offering it to me, so I want to make sure he gets a fair price for it. I'm heading over to his farm after dinner today so wondering if I can get any quick opinions on value, as I told him I would see what I could find. Checked gunbroker and only found one comparable that sold for $1600 + S/H. I know it's hard to give a value without pictures, but any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy
Just me, but if it’s clean and original I’d be all over it for 1600-1800 bucks. That’s a gem of a rifle in my opinion. Good luck with it. Hope you’re able to make a deal.
The only thing that scares me is that he said he has a receiver sight for it. It's not installed on the rifle now, but I don't know if it was in the past, and I don't recall noticing if the stock was notched out for a receiver sight.
It isn’t a fair price. Grand theft, yes.
If it’s a Lyman sight and the same vintage as the gun, it won’t be notched.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
It isn’t a fair price. Grand theft, yes.

So what do you think a fair price would be?

Thanks,
I just sold one 2 months ago all original(1957) in about 90% cond for 2500. It only sat in the gun shops rack for 2 days! So maybe I sold it low?
I have one with a pad added, and shows some wear but i wouldn't take 1800.00 for it.
.257 Roberts is one of the tougher calibers to find especially unaltered in the condition you say. If I wanted one I would be more than happy to pay $1600-$1800, that price would certainly be fair to both buyer and seller.
I saw one on a shelf last month. 1953, stock was refinished with the metal butt with 2 holes in the side of the reciever. Shop was asking 1100. I passed. Couldnt get passed those 2 extra holes
Originally Posted by beretzs
Just me, but if it’s clean and original I’d be all over it for 1600-1800 bucks. That’s a gem of a rifle in my opinion. Good luck with it. Hope you’re able to make a deal.

I'm with Scotty on this. The value is definitely there, but what I'd consider more is the sentimental value, if he's a good friend. I'd toss him $1800.00.
If its a close friend and you've always wanted the rifle, what are you waiting for? Offer the family the $1,800 and take it home (everybody's happy)...

Phil
Originally Posted by Greyghost
If its a close friend and you've always wanted the rifle, what are you waiting for? Offer the family the $1,800 and take it home (everybody's happy)

Yep, that's what we did. He was happy, I was happy and it is an honest 95% rifle. Now to get drawn for an antelope tag, because I told him I was going to shoot an antelope with it. Problem is I finally got a tag last year, so it may be 8 years or so before I get that chance again!!!!
What a great rifle and story to go along with it. Having a rifle that means something to you far exceeds the cash value.
Originally Posted by 160user
What a great rifle and story to go along with it. Having a rifle that means something to you far exceeds the cash value.

Yessir 👍

Congratulations on your new rifle RandySavage!!
Randy, congratulations and I hope you will post a photo here! Good luck on the hunt with it.
Good story and rifle. Had a similar experience years ago. Still enjoy the rifle but miss my friend.
Here's some pictures of the .257 Roberts. It had an old Bausch & Lomb 4X scope with a funky mount system on it, and I replaced it with an old Redfield Widefield 2x-7x that I had laying around. I also posted a few pics of the scope and mount. Has anyone ever seen a mount like that? The flat piece of metal has a stud in the middle and it slides onto the top of both mounts and is hand tightened down onto the mounts by the large "nut". The scope sits down onto the mount adjustment bolts, which are shaped like a funnel. As you turn the adjusting screws on the side of the mounts, it raises or lowers the back of the scope or adjusts the front right and left for sighting in.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That’s a period correct Bausch & Lomb scope mount and Balfor 4 scope setup. Really like the way they look and always leave them on the gun.
Great looking rifle btw!
Nice rifle!!
Beautiful rifle! To each their own, but I agree with Poconoack about the vintage optics. I took the modern Leupold off my M70 Roberts and mounted a Lyman Alaskan.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Very nice rifle Randy, congratulations.

Tmitch, that Alaskan looks perfect on yours.
Excellent deal, nicest one I've seen in a long time! Load up some old Super Speed Silvertips and go hunting, Enjoy...

Phil
Beautiful rifle, and great outcome. Thanks for sharing..
© 24hourcampfire