Home
I remember Winchester in the 80s or 90s making a Model 70 in a fiberglass stock that was for most purposes a fiberglass copy of that eras Featherweight stock. What was the name of these Model 70s?
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/916971288

Is this what your talking about?
Are you thinking of the All Terrain?

[Linked Image]
Most likely the Winlite with a McMillan stock

https://www.gunsamerica.com/958282734/Model-70-Winlite-280-Rem-MIN.htm
Winlite (above) was the fiberglass version from the late 80s/early 90s. Smooth, no checkering. The all-terrain posted by NY rifleman came upon the scene in the mid 90’s on the classics and was the same pattern but tupperware and with molded in checkering mimicking the fw checkering.
Originally Posted by battue

Winlite

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/916232702

This one is coming to Virginia...
Congrats…. Had one years ago. They are one of W’s best for handling. With the current price of a McMillan you made a great buy.
That was a good score. Cool rifle
I have had two of those winlite featherweights. Both were great shooting rifles, one in 30-06 and a 270.
Thanks guys. Now the search begins.
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by battue

Winlite

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/916232702

This one is coming to Virginia...

I'll give you $850+ shipping for it. LOL That was maybe one of the best bargains I've seen on a M70 in a couple years.
I just picked it up yesterday. Looks good.

Now I have to wring it out. grin

so that's a no on my offer?

laugh
Originally Posted by Technoman26

laugh

If I can't get it to hit anything or if it's a jammer I'll keep you in mind. laugh
Originally Posted by Technoman26

laugh

If I can't get it to hit anything or if it's a jammer I'll keep you in mind. laugh

It’s a pushfeed, not a classic so will probably have feeding issues.🤣🤣🤣
I picked up a really nice model 70 featherweight yesterday,deluxe wood , dont really know the year manufactured,odd serial number. s/n 35AMPO 3589. Anyone got a year and specific model,just seems like a odd serial number. Don
Originally Posted by Loggah
I picked up a really nice model 70 featherweight yesterday,deluxe wood , dont really know the year manufactured,odd serial number. s/n 35AMPO 3589. Anyone got a year and specific model,just seems like a odd serial number. Don

That seems like it would be a BACO serial number. Current production, black pad?
It has a black limbsaver pad on it.
It has a black limbsaver pad on it.

Yep, I would guess it is a current production BACO. I have one NIB laying in the garage that I won at a banquet last year and plan to get rid of. I prefer the older ones.
I think I’ve owned 3 Winlites, maybe 2, can’t remember. Definitely had a 30-06 and a 280, really miss that 280. Current goto rifle is a faux win lite…BACO 270 Fwt in a McMillan Edge stock. I like them, they just seem to balance well and feel solid in you hands. The quality on the stocks seems better than what you receive today as well.

AMP is 2008; first year BACO production.
Thanks AK wolverine appreciate it. Don
So, Don, where do you suppose they harvested the plastic trees to make your stock? grin

Having paid zero attention to these things, are they less, more, or the same cost/value as a wood-stocked 70 of the same era?

Maybe one day I'll have a synthetic stock of some sort. Maybe. Not that I don't recognize their worth, just not for me. (Not many Winchester High Walls and Ballard single shots floating around with synthetic stocks, and as for needing one on a hunting rifle if the weather turns nasty I'm back in the bar having an Irish coffee instead of putting my rifle, and myself, in the elements.)
^^^^^ You may not realize it, but you probably just spoke for a hundred thousand men.
Gary, The one i got has a great walnut stock, would be at least 2X in the old winchester grades. Its at my brothers at the moment or i would get a picture. I have some savages with the tupperware stocks,utility rifles!! grin
© 24hourcampfire