Home
Have a pre 64 model 70 300 H-H that was rechamberd to 300 Weatherby, Would like to put a old factory 300 H-H barrel back on it.
Check pre64win.com
Jeff
Thanks, I will check it out.
They show up on rare occasion on Ebay.

Originally Posted by easttex
They show up on rare occasion on Ebay.

They’re pricey when they do.
A want to buy in the classifieds has helped me find things I'm looking for sometimes at surprisingly reasonable prices. It's worth a try.
Boy they are proud of those pre64win.com barrels.
Originally Posted by paguy

And everything else.

DF
I saw a 300 H&H Re-chambered to WBY on one of the internet sites, I might of been interested except I have a couple WBY’s.
I wondered how that rifle chambered a round out of the magazine. If you want a shooter, you could go to a barrel manufacturer and get a H&H barrel.
Originally Posted by Bugger
I saw a 300 H&H Re-chambered to WBY on one of the internet sites, I might of been interested except I have a couple WBY’s.
I wondered how that rifle chambered a round out of the magazine. If you want a shooter, you could go to a barrel manufacturer and get a H&H barrel.

I had one. Loved the rifle. Fed excellent but it had a crap chamber or something cause it just wouldn’t shoot anything for beans. Sent it to JES and he made a 375 Improved from it and now it is one of my favorites.

Well, you're looking for a barrel last made almost 60 years ago. Combine that with the limited number made, with a good chunk of them re-chambered like yours, finding one at a bargain price is a stretch.
Originally Posted by tmitch

Well, you're looking for a barrel last made almost 60 years ago. Combine that with the limited number made, with a good chunk of them re-chambered like yours, finding one at a bargain price is a stretch.

Agreed. That goes straight across the board with pre 64 parts and rifles in good condition.
For what they want for old used stuff I may just put a aftermarket barrel on it and call it good. I just want to hunt with it, Not really a collector. Was my dads gun from back in the day.
If you just want to hunt with it why not use it as is?
Don't need another 300 Weatherby. Always wanted a 300 H-H.
Have been looking for a 375 barrel for a few years without luck.
Don't need another 300 Weatherby. Always wanted a 300 H-H.

How original is the rest of the rifle. I ask because if the stock is after market and/or the receiver was drilled for side mounts or was polished and reblued you might as well put a new after market barrel on it.

Other wise if the rifle is in original condition I would post a wanted add and continue to regularly scour the for sale adds. You could also have the original barrel contour copied on a new barrel so you don't have to modify the stock and go that route. you could then have your 300 H&H to shoot while still looking for a original barrel.
The action hasn't been modified other than some jeweling on the bolt. The stock is a hand made custom with the factory barrel. I have a factory stock on the way, Just need the barrel now.
Here's one

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/918147783
Thanks, I just sent him a email about it.
Just a tip, if you are looking for one locally carry a 300 WBY dummy round with you. I have bought 2 over the years at gun shows and upon getting home both had been rechambered.
Thats a good tip 300 Weatherby dummy shell. Years ago, old time gunsmith in Tacoma WA Chet Paulsons. Told me same thing, watch any old 300 H&H in Winchester model 70 or old 721 Rem Was very popular to re chamber in 60s and 70s, Many not market on barrel. Buyer beware.
Thanks, I would have never thought of that.
I had to do the Weatherby shell test on a Sako FN barreled action from the fifties. While marked 300 Magnum my research told me that many rechambered them to the new popular Weatherby and did not change the barrel marking. Lucky for me it is a 300 H&H mag.
Thanks for the tip 160. I know a lot of them were rechambered. It wouldn't surprise me if a third of them were modified.
He said it has not been rechambered, And will give me a money back guarantee. Probably take a chance.
Hope you get it at a decent price.
© 24hourcampfire