Home
Posted By: sqweeler Model 70 Winlite ?? - 01/08/22
Interested in a 338 Winlite that has a blind magazine.Read somewhere that the first production McMillan stocked Winlite's have no floorplate.Is this correct?
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Model 70 Winlite ?? - 01/09/22
Not sure about first production winlites vs later, but some did have floorplates and some didnt in both the featherweight and classic configs.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Model 70 Winlite ?? - 01/09/22
The early production rifles did have bling magazines
Posted By: Technoman26 Re: Model 70 Winlite ?? - 01/11/22
Not all the Winlites had McMillan stocks either. Some had Brown Precision stocks. It is a Classic or Featherweight stock?
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Model 70 Winlite ?? - 01/11/22
Sporter stock,blind magazine.Can one tell a Brown or McMillan? [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Model 70 Winlite ?? - 01/12/22
Got one in the store I work at in .300 Weatherby with floorplate, but do remember one in FWT configuration in '06 that did not.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Model 70 Winlite ?? - 01/12/22
I have a 280 FTW with McMillian stock and floorplate.

I looked up the year of manufacture once, be damned if I can remember it. Late 80's
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Model 70 Winlite ?? - 01/12/22
G17938xx would be 1985.Anyone know the first year for the Winlite's?
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Model 70 Winlite ?? - 01/12/22
Originally Posted by sqweeler

G179xxxx should be ‘87.

That stock pictured is a McMillan.

‘86 for first year best I’ve been able to tell; maybe a few snuck out in late ‘85? The relationship with Brown ended when usrac filed for bankruptcy in January 86, per Mark Brown. And his recollection was they only made “perhaps a thousand” for Winchester.
Posted By: Technoman26 Re: Model 70 Winlite ?? - 01/12/22
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by sqweeler

G179xxxx should be ‘87.

That stock pictured is a McMillan.

‘86 for first year best I’ve been able to tell; maybe a few snuck out in late ‘85? The relationship with Brown ended when usrac filed for bankruptcy in January 86, per Mark Brown. And his recollection was they only made “perhaps a thousand” for Winchester.

AK is right. That is definitely a McMillan. I've owned a couple of the Brown stocks and a couple of the McMilan featherweights. One of the Browns was a blind mag and one had a floorplate but the McMillans I had were all floorplate versions, including the one I still own. The comb is higher on the brown stocks but I do like the McMillan design above. That said, I prefer McMillan featherweight winlite stock over that one. It's a shame McMillan won't make them anymore.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Model 70 Winlite ?? - 01/12/22
Thanks for the info.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Model 70 Winlite ?? - 02/10/22
Here are the three iterations of winlites.
Top to bottom:
Brown - late ‘85/early ‘86?

McMillan magnum winlite LA mag chamberings (painted)
Later sold as McMillan Winchester classic

McMillan featherweight - LA standard chamberings (painted&new pad)
Later sold as McMillan Winchester featherweight
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: beretzs Re: Model 70 Winlite ?? - 02/10/22
I dig that bottom one AK. Might need to find one of them for my little Classic 7-08.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
© 24hourcampfire