Home
Posted By: kjohn Canadian Centennial oddball - 03/06/22
I just bought 4 lever action rifles from a fellow. One has me stumped. While I am not a Winchester collector by any standards, I do have the good old internet nowadays to research with.

The one in question is clearly an 1867-1967 Canadian Centennial carbine, complete with all the proper lettering, maple leaves, and octagonal barrel. So far, so good. But it has a brass plated receiver and brass (plated?) forend cap. I can see someone swapping the forend cap, as it is a simple job. My shooter buddy and I tried to pin down this receiver, but couldn't find any reference to a brass plated receiver on any Canadian Centennial such as the one I have.

Can anyone shed any light on this? My only suggestion or guess is that somebody had it plated after it left the factory. Even that sounds a bit of a far reach.

** I've been educated. These are "short rifles" not "carbines when they have a fore-end cap.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Attached picture LH receiver a x.jpg
Attached picture RH receiver a x.jpg
I guess I will be the first to give a little education. If your gun has an octagon barrel and forend cap, you don't have a carbine. You have a short rifle. Winchester hired an advertising agency that didn't know the difference. Just because it has a short barrel doesn't make it a carbine in the Winchester line up. Sorry can't help with your original question. Good luck.
Guess what, they made em.

https://hibid.com/lot/37944861/winchester-1967--canadian-67-centennial--rifle/
Posted By: kjohn Re: Canadian Centennial oddball - 03/06/22
Ah!!!! Thank you! Solved the mystery. They were taken apart, the black chrome removed and plated with brass by another company.
© 24hourcampfire