Home
I’m am interested in the above rifle for an upcoming elk/mule deer hunt and have the opportunity to purchase NIB from local shop. This will be my “big rifle” as the only reason I can justify a 300 is a potential nilgai hunt where 300 magnum is minimum allowed.
The gun is $800

Any reason to avoid a classic 300wsm from a quality or feeding standpoint? Bolt cycles as smooth as I could ask for right now.
Will accuracy be acceptable without tinkering beyond a trigger job?
Is $800 a good price?

Thanks!
I’d grab it for 800 bucks myself. If it is NIB that’s a solid score.

It’s really hard to guess with the Classics but by and large I’ve done well with them. Throw an Ernie’s spring into the trigger group and I’m thinking you’ll be good.

Check the feeding and such but my Classics in WSM all have worked well.

That’s a good score in these times.
For $800, I'd be on that one like white on rice.

Okie John
Originally Posted by okie john
For $800, I'd be on that one like white on rice.

This ^^^^^
Hate to be cynical, but depends on who ya ask. Yes, its a good price, and if ya got a use, id go without question. Its fair.
Originally Posted by PSH
Hate to be cynical, but depends on who ya ask. Yes, its a good price, and if ya got a use, id go without question. Its fair.

I've seen extreme weathers chambered in the WSM for less, so I guess the question is which one would be better? Keeping in mind that is a 7 digit classic, which have been known for having some issues. Some of which I've seen personally. I was at one of the small town LGS 2 days ago and ran across an older stainless classic chambered in 7mm rem mag for $600.00. The downfall to that one was it had a boss on it. I realize a lot of guys don't get off their azzes and look around like I do, so a lot of guys go by internet pricing. Places like GB used to be good resources for rifles like the one in question. In 2018 I bought a 7WSM classic stainless with tupperware stock there for $500.00. No one else bid on it. That doesn't happen anymore and GB has been a joke as of late, unless you are selling guns there. Now to answer the OP's question about accuracy. It all depends on what you can live with. Shoot it as is and it will probably be a 1 1/2 moa rifle. Glass bed it, fine tune the trigger, make sure its freefloated and I guarantee groups will shrink. Again, its all about what you can live with..
In the classic stainless the 300 wsm could also be a 6 digit. I’ve seen a handful. Have seen exactly one 6 digit 270 wsm; and zero 6 digit 7 wsm’s.
As to valuation, $800 is probably about right. Used to be $500-$600 as BSA said, but those days are gone. Standard chambering classic stainless are now routinely bringing over a grand.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
In the classic stainless the 300 wsm could also be a 6 digit. I’ve seen a handful. Have seen exactly one 6 digit 270 wsm; and zero 6 digit 7 wsm’s.

The 300WSM came out in 2001 I believe. When did the 7 digit's start?
As to valuation, $800 is probably about right. Used to be $500-$600 as BSA said, but those days are gone. Standard chambering classic stainless are now routinely bringing over a grand.

Don't tempt me to go out and prove you wrong... Ha ha. I saw a classic stainless 30-06 featherweight the other day for $600.00, but it was a little rough. A shame too because it looked to have a nice walnut stock, except for some dings and scratches on it..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Sometime shortly after the G38xxxx range - 2002.

Don't tempt me to go out and prove you wrong... Ha ha. I saw a classic stainless 30-06 featherweight the other day for $600.00, but it was a little rough. A shame too because it looked to have a nice walnut stock, except for some dings and scratches on it..

Oh no. If anyone could find one, it would be you! grin
Not disputing you at all. Just stating what they are routinely going for on GunBroker. You can certainly still find good deals … and they have become more common in the last 6 weeks.

Sometime shortly after the G38xxxx range - 2002.

Thanks AK. I thought it was right around the time the WSM's came out. Curious as to whether the OP's rifle in question is 6 or 7 digit. More than likely it will be a good rifle either way. I'm sure 79s here has one just like it. Maybe he can comment on how it shoots and functions.

I’d have put bookmarks down your back to grab that SS 06 for 600 bucks myself. The stock doesn’t mean too much to me anyhow. They usually get a McMillan anyhow.
No more than 3 years ago it was common to find clean 300 WSM Classic Stainless M70's in the $500 - $650 range. Generally they have been the most affordable (cheapest) of all the Classic Stainless M70's. The 300 WSM ran its course in terms of popularity, and conventional rounds, both magnum and .473 headstamped cartridges, have remained more stallwart in terms of value in the Classic Stainless. Having said that, I far and away prefer the 300 WSM in an M70 or Kimber 8400 to any other 300 Magnum. In this current climate, yeah, I think $800 is a solid buy, especially NIB.

Lol, both these guys are right, imo. You can still find early classics in the 5 to 6 range, but ya gotta look, and, its not gonna be an everyday thing. You gotta look or just bump into it. And, they're gonna potentially have some bumps and bruises. With that being said, how soon do you need it, and how bad do you want it? I don't believe the price is out of line if you really want one and your going to keep it for awhile. But, if you want a bargain, and its not a big deal then wait. An ew for under that would be a bargain and the route id go if ya had time cause I believe you'll look awhile.
That. I've had M70 Classics in nearly all chamberings, but not a single WSM graces my safe.. There have been feeding issues, chamber issues and reloading issues with WSMs. Yes - all of them can, but the WSMs seem to rule that roost....(in my experience over the last 20+ years)..
Heck, this 7 wsm is almost going to hit a grand.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/927660440
Originally Posted by Redneck
That. I've had M70 Classics in nearly all chamberings, but not a single WSM graces my safe.. There have been feeding issues, chamber issues and reloading issues with WSMs. Yes - all of them can, but the WSMs seem to rule that roost....(in my experience over the last 20+ years)..

Part of the reason I said they had their issues. Especially the 7 digits. A guy just has to be mindful of that. We've heard of some of them having "oval" chambers and scope mount holes not drilled on the center axis, really bad bedding (which is an easy fix). You could name more things to watch out for, since you worked on tons of them over the years. Would it keep me from buying something like what the op is asking about? Maybe. The thing is when you are looking a rifle over, new or used, there are things you look for. I check them out thoroughly and sometimes even bring a buddy along that is just as versed in buying used rifles. They may see something you don't. There should always be a check list of things you look for when looking at a used rifle. And I'd consider this one a "used" rifle, even though it is described as "NIB". Is $800 a good deal. Probably, but it's not a "money maker" per se. I know a lot of these guys aren't out there buying rifles like some of us, so they stumble across an average deal and buy it with the assertion they are never going to get rid of it. I've heard that 100 times here. I, on the other hand, treat them like they are my savings account or like I remember you saying a time or 2, your "401K". I've even ran across some rifles that, now I wished I would have bought. Last fall, right before elk season a buddy and I were in Cabela's and I spotted an Extreme weather. Dang thing was like new. I looked at the price tag and it was $625.00. I was like wth?? Then I saw it was a 325WSM. That explains it. However, if it had been a standard cartridge it may have been more money. A buddy and I were at the coast, last summer, near where he lives and we stopped in at the LGS there and just for chits and giggles we go and look at the guns. They had a 308W Extreme weather. It had dust on it, it had been there for so long. It was marked clearance: $800.00. I looked at the serial number and it was a 2009 rifle. The same fn, literally, rifle we had looked at 10 years prior. No one likes 308w over there I guess. A lot of guys using 300 RUM's and other magnums in that area. The guy behind the counter said the rifle had been there for at least 10 years that he knew of. They just wanted to move it down the road, so they marked it way down. Like I said before, you just got to get out and see what's out there. The 300WBY XTR in the Mcmillan we were discussing in another thread is only $800.00. That would be a hell of a deal for someone. Yeah, it may need a new barrel, but that's an easy job for someone like you Lee. I've since seen 2 mcmillan winchester winlite stocks on ebay sell for upwards of $500.00.
Must be the week for classic stainless Model 70's, been looking at one in 338 for the last couple. Comes with box and low serial number range.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Must be the week for classic stainless Model 70's, been looking at one in 338 for the last couple. Comes with box and low serial number range.

Tupperware stock? The ones I've been around have all shot well. Low number 338wm would be damn nice. Great elk rifle right there..

Tupperware stock? The ones I've been around have all shot well. Low number 338wm would be damn nice. Great elk rifle right there..

Yes with 2 piece floor plate.

Yes with 2 piece floor plate.

Those are great rifles. A very popular choice with the elk hunting crowd I hung out with in Oregon. Seemed like in the 90's, everyone there used one. Our choice of bullets were different, some guys liked running 210's at screaming velocities and others like me just ran slow 250's, but the cartridge was the same. I believe that one has a 26" barrel. Some guys chopped theirs down to 23-24" and others ran them long. To me, the 26" barrel is too much of a good thing. I had a 7mm rem mag with a 26" tube and had my smith chop it down to 23. After that, it was damn near perfect.
Heck, this 7 wsm is almost going to hit a grand.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/927660440

By the time shipping, tax, buyer’s fee and FFL transfer fee are added this will go well over 1k. I figure an extra $120 over the bid price for me to bring one home. That’s almost enough to make me stop bidding. Almost. 😁
I still have one in walnut... Hardly been used.. No box though, IIRC... The .338WM is a helluva round..
I have a 7 digit stainless in a 300 wsm. I bedded it and all the other stuff. One day it shoot fine go shoot it again shoot like chit. So I tore it apart I removed the chamber support of the bedding job. Still shot wonky as hell. I’m thinking WTF is wrong with this rifle different scope. Still shooting wonky, finally looked at the mag box it’s binding on the floor plate. I took the mag box to a belt grinder got to grinding. No more binding, went and shot it using 178gr eld-x and H4831 and shooting pretty consistent now. It’s around moa, not going to set any National records with it. But for moose and caribou out 300yds do just fine.
I have a lefty model 70 in a 338 win mag. I used the go to powder with 225 AB and Hornady 225’s. Talk about frustration mess with seating depths etc still frustrating. So I pick up some 250 AB and holy Shinto talk about a different rifle. This thing loves the 250 AB so I bought more from SPS. I need to find some 250 Hornady’s SP.
Picked it up today . Not a mark nor scratch on it , like it was frozen in time. An enabler whose user profile starts with NYriflem*** made me buy it. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by 79S
I have a 7 digit stainless in a 300 wsm. I bedded it and all the other stuff. One day it shoot fine go shoot it again shoot like chit. So I tore it apart I removed the chamber support of the bedding job. Still shot wonky as hell. I’m thinking WTF is wrong with this rifle different scope. Still shooting wonky, finally looked at the mag box it’s binding on the floor plate. I took the mag box to a belt grinder got to grinding. No more binding, went and shot it using 178gr eld-x and H4831 and shooting pretty consistent now. It’s around moa, not going to set any National records with it. But for moose and caribou out 300yds do just fine.

Good info J. That goes with what I was saying about the actions being very sensitive to stress. One of the rifles I sold you, the 6 digit classic sporter 30-06 was like that. I originally had bedding under the chamber area for about 2". You know everyone suggests bedding under the chamber. Sometimes it works, sometimes it definitely doesn't. Took it to the range and it just wasn't shooting as well as it should have. I went prepared with some sand paper and a deep well socket though, so I could remove that portion of bedding if need be. I worked that area over until there was clearance and right away groups shrank to 1/2-3/4". Pulled it out of the stock again and hit it one last time at the range so there was ample clearance, reinstalled and shot a 5 shot cluster that would make you blush. You know how that rifle shoots. The mag box clearance or binding can sure be an issue with these. Good point to bring it up for sure.
Originally Posted by 79S
I have a lefty model 70 in a 338 win mag. I used the go to powder with 225 AB and Hornady 225’s. Talk about frustration mess with seating depths etc still frustrating. So I pick up some 250 AB and holy Shinto talk about a different rifle. This thing loves the 250 AB so I bought more from SPS. I need to find some 250 Hornady’s SP.

J, have you tried 210 partitions? Some of the guys I used to hang out with, ran those in their classics and they loved them. One claimed 3,050 fps too. That's a pretty hot load though. They punch through elk like no bodies business though..
Picked it up today . Not a mark nor scratch on it , like it was frozen in time. An enabler whose user profile starts with NYriflem*** made me buy it. grin

Dang, that is a thing of beauty really. NIB even. Don't know what you paid, but thinking you scored buddy...

whistle

5 Digit Stainless Classic.

Doesn't get much better.
You are a bad influence sir..
You are a bad influence sir..

Pot. Meet kettle. Grins.
Originally Posted by 79S

J, have you tried 210 partitions? Some of the guys I used to hang out with, ran those in their classics and they loved them. One claimed 3,050 fps too. That's a pretty hot load though. They punch through elk like no bodies business though..

I was one of them. They’re awesome bullets for pounding elk. 2950-3050 pretty easy too.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S

I was one of them. They’re awesome bullets for pounding elk. 2950-3050 pretty easy too.

I get 2900 with the 225 TSX out of a 23" barrel. Load recommend by Brian Pearce in either Rifle or Handloader, cant remember which.
Nice score OE!
That’s a damn early classic stainless.
I greyed out the last digit on this because the pic is posted on the Interweb, Unfortunately it is a 6 digit but I am not complaining. If a guy had put a complete rifle and box and vacuum packed it for all these years it would not be in better condition. I bought one of these in 1995 for 625 in 7 rem mag. I could kick myself for selling it. This one cost more 1k but I have known the owner of the gunshop for 25 years , not going to get in a tizzy over 100 bucks or so.
I greyed out the last digit on this because the pic is posted on the Interweb, Unfortunately it is a 6 digit but I am not complaining. If a guy had put a complete rifle and box and vacuum packed it for all these years it would not be in better condition. I bought one of these in 1995 for 625 in 7 rem mag. I could kick myself for selling it. This one cost more 1k but I have known the owner of the gunshop for 25 years , not going to get in a tizzy over 100 bucks or so.

You did great. I had the same rifle with a BOSS on it. Chopped the BOSS eventually then after awhile I made it into a Newton. It was an amazing rifle as a 338 and I’d get another in a heartbeat If I didn’t find an Alaskan some years back. That Classic shot everything well.
Nice score OE!

I believe his is a circa 2000-ish rifle. I don’t think Classic Stainless M70’s were made in the G30K range (IIRC they started in the 40K’s), but I’m often wrong smile

I had two different Classic stainless M70 338 WM’s. Neither shot all that well, but were good enough for elk. I cut both to 22,” and while I tested different weight bullets up to 250 gr’s, I used 210 NP’s on elk. My best shooting 338 was an early Stainless M700 ADL cut to 22”… that rifle shot like a varmint rifle with everything I fed it.

Here’s a bull I took in Nov, 2000. It was -14*F when I started climbing in the dark. At sunrise I spotted this bull with two smaller bulls headed up a ridge to bed at a mile distant. It took me nearly three hours in deep snow to get to the ridge they were on. I guesstimated where they’d bed, and tried to get above them, planning to still hunt down to them in their beds. It worked exactly as planned, and I shot this bull in his bed at 40 yards (210 NP).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Brad
Nice score OE!

I believe his is a circa 2000-ish rifle. I don’t think Classic Stainlees M70’s were made in the G30K range (IIRC they started in the 40K’s), but I’m often wrong.

I had two different Classic stainless M70 338 WM’s. None shot all that well, but both were good enough for elk. I cut all mine to 22,” and while I tested different weight bullets up to 250 gr’s, I used 210 NP’s on elk. My best shooting 338 was an early Stainless M700 ADL cut to 22”… that rifle shot like a varmint rifle with everything I fed it.

Yep, OE clarified. He is very accomplished with the photo editor. smile

I have one in the G40s but none in the 30s. I think your recollection is correct - until someone here proves us wrong! (Grin)

I have one in the G40s but none in the 30s. I think your recollection is correct - until someone here proves us wrong! (Grin)

Indeed - I should have read further! Like you, I had a 40K serial number from the first year they appeared with CRF. We could be wrong, and I certainly don’t trust my memory, but I don’t think they were offered in the 30K range.
Nice score OE!

I believe his is a circa 2000-ish rifle. I don’t think Classic Stainlees M70’s were made in the G30K range (IIRC they started in the 40K’s), but I’m often wrong.

I had two different Classic stainless M70 338 WM’s. None shot all that well, but both were good enough for elk. I cut all mine to 22,” and while I tested different weight bullets up to 250 gr’s, I used 210 NP’s on elk. My best shooting 338 was an early Stainless M700 ADL cut to 22”… that rifle shot like a varmint rifle with everything I fed it.

Only digit I changed on the internet for privacy purposes only was the last digit. Here is a pic of the receiver serial number.

Nice score OE!

Only digit I changed on the internet for privacy purposes only was the last digit. Here is a pic of the receiver serial number.

I get it and I routinely do the same; for the same reason. I had looked at the pic and you did such a good job I couldn’t tell!
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S

I get 2900 with the 225 TSX out of a 23" barrel. Load recommend by Brian Pearce in either Rifle or Handloader, cant remember which.

I'm running 2850 with 225's now. Never did like hot rodding the 338 because it does well with heavies even at slower speeds and its easier on the shoulder that way too. Ha ha.. I'm pretty happy with the pre 64's accuracy. Pretty consistent .5-.6" 5 shot groups. I'm just running the interlock, nothing fancy, but it puts the smack down on elk..
Nice score OE!

I believe his is a circa 2000-ish rifle. I don’t think Classic Stainless M70’s were made in the G30K range (IIRC they started in the 40K’s), but I’m often wrong smile

I had two different Classic stainless M70 338 WM’s. Neither shot all that well, but were good enough for elk. I cut both to 22,” and while I tested different weight bullets up to 250 gr’s, I used 210 NP’s on elk. My best shooting 338 was an early Stainless M700 ADL cut to 22”… that rifle shot like a varmint rifle with everything I fed it.

Here’s a bull I took in Nov, 2000. It was -14*F when I started climbing in the dark. At sunrise I spotted this bull with two smaller bulls headed up a ridge to bed at a mile distant. It took me nearly three hours in deep snow to get to the ridge they were on. I guesstimated where they’d bed, and tried to get above them, planning to still hunt down to them in their beds. It worked exactly as planned, and I shot this bull in his bed at 40 yards (210 NP).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very nice brad. That's how you ambush them... I do the same thing when I can. Works good on turkey too.. ha ha..
Nice score OE!

Nothing wrong with a 6 digit classic either. Nice score on that one, regardless..
Someone say five digits stainless classic in a 338

[Linked Image]
Very nice ^^^ How does she shoot?
Very nice ^^^ How does she shoot?

I shot it once and not very good lol.. I need to get serious and do some load development for it lol.
I had one of the first SS classics in 7 rem mag in North Florida. I bought 4 different types of ammunition for it roughly 20 boxes and it was fidgety on all of them until I had the trigger adjusted to 2 1/2 lbs and bedded the front recoil lug. Then it stopped being so finicky, temperature extremes might have been an issue as well since it was 90-100 degrees when shooting it. I lived 5 minutes from a 200 yard range . It stacked 160 grain bullets when it got all sorted out.
AKwolverine

The 7wsm does fall in the six digit serial number range for the classic stainless model 70s as well. I have one in the safe G387xxx. They are out there.

Farmtown257
I appreciate that data point.

That must have been darn near one of the last 6 digits to leave the factory!
Originally Posted by rusty75
I’m am interested in the above rifle for an upcoming elk/mule deer hunt and have the opportunity to purchase NIB from local shop. This will be my “big rifle” as the only reason I can justify a 300 is a potential nilgai hunt where 300 magnum is minimum allowed.
The gun is $800

Any reason to avoid a classic 300wsm from a quality or feeding standpoint? Bolt cycles as smooth as I could ask for right now.
Is $800 a good price?

Thanks!

Not a bad price for a NIB Classic. Be prepared to bed the action and free float the barrel as well as lighten the trigger a little bit. Good thing all this can be done by you

DO IT!
Originally Posted by ElkSnort
Originally Posted by rusty75
The gun is $800

Is $800 a good price?

Thanks!

Not a bad price for a NIB Classic. Be prepared to bed the action and free float the barrel as well as lighten the trigger a little bit. Good thing all this can be done by you

DO IT!

I agree, and please don't just bed the recoil lug when you glass bed it. There's a reason we say "properly" glass bed. I had to recently fix one that was not properly glass bedded by the original owner. He only bed the recoil lug and not the tang. It did not shoot to its full potential. Good thing some things are easy to fix and do proper.

Found this one in the back of the safe. Make that two now.

^veddy nice!
Well there is another Winchester Model 70 Classic SS WSM posted on Gunbroker. No affiliation, just posting as a reference.
SS Classic WSM
Originally Posted by lynntelk
Well there is another Winchester Model 70 Classic SS WSM posted on Gunbroker. No affiliation, just posting as a reference.
SS Classic WSM

Very nice. Someone didn't like shooting that one.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/950583656

This one’s likely a better deal if you value the Zeiss at $450.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/950583656

This one’s likely a better deal if you value the Zeiss at $450.

That Zeiss is worth far more than that. I realize you are being very conservative. He has the scope listed wrong. That is a 4.5-14x44 and is selling for approximately $650-800 these days. The plus with that scope is if anything happens to it and you need to replace it using Zeiss' warranty, they are going to send you a $1,000.00 V4 4-16x44. Ask me how I know that. I am going to send the seller a message and ask why he is saying it is a 3-9x40, which is a $400 scope all day long. A lot of guys like those older Conquests though. Good find if the scope is what is pictured, not what is described. The seller needs to clarify and post new pics, if he has a 3-9x40 that goes with the rifle... Prices and description may change a bit on that rifle. Keep an eye on it..
© 24hourcampfire