Home
Posted By: jorgeI WINCHESTER 88s - 04/14/22
I've taken a liking to them. I bought along with the nice Savage EG (also posted in Savage Forum). I installed a period Redfield 3X9 and these are the results with three different bullet brands, Winchester, Federal and Norma. Not bad in spite of a crappy trigger. The gun is very clean. (better pic on the Savage forum)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: pacecars Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/14/22
I too love the 88s. They are the reason I got a C&R license many moons ago when I found out they were all C&R regardless of year. Also they are one of the few guns that the post 64 is actually better than the pre 64 mechanically (not so sure about the basket weave checkering though). Triggers aren’t the greatest but they are pretty accurate
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/14/22
I'm guessing .308 Win. I've had every caliber they come in and still have a .284 Win and custom barrel .358 Win. There was a gunsmith in California (I think Rogue River) that worked on 88 triggers. I had my .284 done. It is better but still not great. That being said it is as accurate as any bolt action of the era.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/14/22
Shot my biggest whitetail with a M/88 .308, I've owned every caliber except .284.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/15/22
I have 4 of them, 2 rifles and 2 carbines, all chambered in 284. I don't care for the pistol grip geometry, too straight for my taste on the .88, but it works fine on the 100.

Lever actions are primarily an American thing, but Sako's Finnwolf shows us what the 88 could have been.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/15/22
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Lever actions are primarily an American thing, but Sako's Finnwolf shows us what the 88 could have been.

and currently cost a couple grand more.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/15/22
Here is my pre-64 88. It's just about as clean. Also in 308. Regarding the pre/post 64 differences, I read/saw somewhere where the only difference was the stock. Perhaps one of you guys can shed some light ?

Posted By: pacecars Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/15/22
There was an article by John Wooters I believe that explained the differences. I will see if I still have it laying around. He also had a custom full stock 88 that I would love to reproduce.
Posted By: pacecars Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/15/22
There was a company in California that customized the 88s and specialized in improving the trigger pull as much as could be. They were the ones who stated the post were better to work on but I can’t remember why. It was an old article. They did beautiful work though. Going on my old memory so I may be full of crap
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/15/22
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

and currently cost a couple grand more.

True, but you can't take it with you when you die, so you might as well enjoy the fruits of your labors while you are able to.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/15/22
Originally Posted by pacecars
There was a company in California that customized the 88s and specialized in improving the trigger pull as much as could be. They were the ones who stated the post were better to work on but I can’t remember why. It was an old article. They did beautiful work though. Going on my old memory so I may be full of crap

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...47375/all/Winchester_88_accurizing_Rogue
Posted By: Poconojack Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/15/22

Originally Posted by jorgeI
Here is my pre-64 88. It's just about as clean. Also in 308. Regarding the pre/post 64 differences, I read/saw somewhere where the only difference was the stock. Perhaps one of you guys can shed some light ?

Googling ‘LeeRoy’s Ramblings Winchester Model 88’ will shed a lot of light on the differences.
Posted By: 303savage Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/15/22
magazine is flush on the post 64 and sticks out a bit on the pre for one difference off top of my head
Posted By: pacecars Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/16/22
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Originally Posted by pacecars

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...47375/all/Winchester_88_accurizing_Rogue

Bingo! Didn’t they become the California Rigby?
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/16/22
I had a gunsmith work on both a pre and post. He commented how much easier the post was to deal with then the pre but didn't elaborate.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/17/22
Went to the range yesterday to see how the 88 liked 180 Winchester Power Points (above post shows 150gr results). Even though the POI changed as expected, accuracy was pretty damned good:

My 100 on the other hand, didn't like them AT ALL, but it does very well with 150gr Federal High Shoks (three shots!)
Posted By: iskra Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/18/22
Pinging on the question of differences between the "pre '64 and post versions of the Model 88". If literally limiting to that comparatively 'high Ricter Scale" landslide shift between many Winchester models, the Model 88 got off 'a bit easy'. The reason that a child of the latter fifties in original design, many of the 'econo' savings were already built in! Also, the retail price considerably exceeding a model 94 lever for instance, the 'price to pay of such as the .308 Winchester chambering and its "ilk", far more wiggle room afforded as "yet profitable".
The large noticeable difference was the stock! Much like the Model 70, the "impressed checkering era" and indeed correctly termed as "impressive" but favorably; no one! By 64, most all "original design and specific cartridge nuance particulars" as long worked out. The "metal finish problems particularly inherent to the 'post' era model 94, about entirely avoided if to view the two 'era' rifles next to one another. In other words, in visible/otherwise noticeable changes, about only the wood! From typical "understated svelte" to "gaudy"!
Winchester the Firm, in broader perspectives, seriously seeking every possible production cost savings available. The Model 88 as a platform along with the Model 100 in semi-auto, as "noble experiments. The 88 with rise and fall in about decade & half altogether. The central concept of a lever actuated high power rifle really about a "noble experiment". Sales falling to "so-so" as the enigmatic Model 94, for all its "post era" problems, considerably more popular! A situation almost surely Winchester failed to ever originally contemplate. Also, the Model 88 in chamberings "competing" with the Model 70, also a decades proven rifle of considerable reputation. Self-competition has to be reconciled in positive sales numbers on both sides of the dual models & chamberings equation. 'That', not working out! The Model 88, died! Moreover with nary a significant 'blip' on general Winchester buyer radars! Today, to say the 88 either a "collector rifle" or "cult rifle" not fair. But remaining a "specialty model" to be enjoyed by a definite specific following.
I'm with two such, both in .308 Win. One a '57 vintage and by then 'most all' growing pains worked out. My early '68 Model 'first year' of the "88 Carbine" & without SN letter prefix. For me, 'it', the entire model wide sweet spot as 19" barrel, plain stock & barrel band!

Seconding the tech info referral suggestion: "Leroy's Ramblings" resource as Models 88 & 100 info saturation! smile : https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20Articles/winchester_model_88_100_info.html

Best!
John
Posted By: jorgeI Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/19/22
Excellent information, thank you.
Posted By: Rodney482 Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 04/30/22
My 1956 w 3.5-10
Shoots 1.5” groups w 110gr noslers

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Windfall Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 05/03/22
Cabela's in Green Bay, WI. has a pre-64 M88 .284 in their collector room for like 2k (920) 264-0140 fyi.
Posted By: nimblehunter Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 05/04/22
That 88 of yours shoots pretty darn good. My dad bought mine for me used in 1968, serial # 3950, which makes it a 1955, & still carries the old Weaver K-4 B60 scope. One thing puzzling is, mine doesn't have the clover leaf insert at the rear of the receiver. Have anyone of you guy's ever seen or heard of this before?
Posted By: kk alaska Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 05/04/22
Only the very first ones had the clover leaf tang.
Posted By: 79S Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 05/05/22
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Only the very first ones had the clover leaf tang.

Mines a 56 and it’s a cloverleaf tang.
Posted By: 79S Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 05/05/22
Originally Posted by nimblehunter
That 88 of yours shoots pretty darn good. My dad bought mine for me used in 1968, serial # 3950, which makes it a 1955, & still carries the old Weaver K-4 B60 scope. One thing puzzling is, mine doesn't have the clover leaf insert at the rear of the receiver. Have anyone of you guy's ever seen or heard of this before?

From an article that was posted

Recoil Block : The early model 88 rifles under approximate s/n 82,900 (made from the start at 1955 to about mid year 1958) had a cloverleaf recoil block, later ones were a larger rounded style. The part number changed from #6988 to #6988B. The reason for the change was that the inletting of this block into the stock at the rear was prone to crack the stock under recoil. The new block style sat on top of a stock shelf which solved this problem.

The Model 100 rifles did not appear until 1961, therefore they used the later same style rounded block as the 88s of the same time period, HOWEVER the 88 and 100 blocks do not interchange as the model 88 needed sideplates riveted to the inner rear of the receiver to support the lever system, thereby requiring the 88 block to be narrower to fit inside these sideplates, and it also had slots forward top to accommodate the link's at full lockup movement. The part number for the model 100 recoil block is #5200.

Early clover-leaf type recoil block on Left with the later on the Right Here you see the model 100 on the left with the late model 88 on the right. Notice both blocks probably started as the same part, but the 88 has sideplate AND link slot clearances machined in.

You may see some older guns with a new style recoil block and a replacement stock. This is because when the inventory of factory old stocks was gone, the factory and warranty centers used new style stocks, but then had to also use a new style recoil block.
Posted By: Odessa Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 05/06/22
M88 in 243 WIN I picked up a year and a half ago. Due to trouble finding components I’ve been real slow working up a load. I’ll get back to it soon enough though.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: nimblehunter Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 05/06/22
Thank you guy's. Looks looks mine was sent back to the factory for a stock replacement before my dad purchased it.
Posted By: Windfall Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 05/06/22
Originally Posted by Windfall
Cabela's in Green Bay, WI. has a pre-64 M88 .284 in their collector room for like 2k (920) 264-0140 fyi.

Reworked to "had". I went there yesterday to buy some lures and thought that I should take another look at that 88. Gone!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: WINCHESTER 88s - 05/24/22
What's the going value on one in the pre 64 range 39, xxx in 308? 80-85% condition?...mb
© 24hourcampfire