Home
Posted By: ruffedgrouse pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/09/22
Hello Fellows: I thought you old M70 men might get a kick out of this. I just returned from a Kodiak Island brown bear hunt. Like my other Alaskan hunts, I carried a pre-64. This time a .375. This rifle has a all original barrelled action in a different factory high comb stock with a Decelerator Pad on it. I was with my son who is a licensed guide. I was able to take a beautiful boar at right around only 50 yards. One shot using 270 gr. Barnes TSX with 70grs. of 4064. Leupold 1.5-5x. Vintage weaver mounts and strap rings. Quite old school that would make the modern fellers just shake their heads I'm sure. I'd post a picture if I knew how but have tried unsuccessfully in the past.

As you all know, these .375s are heavy. This set-up is right around 10# loaded. My son uses a custom post 64 CRF M70 .375 with a very light barrel, but it sure carries nicely. Thru-out the hunt, my son teased with me about my (fat) rifle: he calls it Betty Lou. Says Betty just eats junk food all the time and gets fat. But I like heavier rifles for steady holding. When I laid betty over the pack while the bear was moving closer and closer it was just rock steady.

So don't think for a moment those old 70s can't get it done: even the old .375s on Kodiak Island. Just like Pinnell and Talifson's old .375s.

The Lord has blessed me a bunch for having this opportunity with my Son.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/09/22
THAT'S AWESOME! Congrats
Posted By: beretzs Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/09/22
Holy smokes! That’s great stuff RG.

If you wanna PM I’ll pass you my email or cell and I’ll post the pictures for you.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/09/22
cool cool cool
Posted By: 79S Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/09/22
Congrats on the bear! If one draws a Kodiak bear tag. I think it should be mandatory you use a 375 H&H 😁. I used a stainless classic in a 375H&H for my Kodiak bear hunt, I opted for 300gr TSX using biggame powder.
Very cool.
👍
Posted By: Bugger Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/09/22
Congratulations. Using post image is pretty easy.
Posted By: 2alphas2 Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/09/22
Having recently joined the ranks of Pre-64 Winchester owners with 6 examples, this post and the story makes me very, very proud I did. Congrats to you on the Kodiak. Thank you for also acknowledging the Lord blessing you with such a wonderful opportunity with your son.
Very cool. I hope someone posts some pictures for you. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. I've had a couple pre 64 model 70 375's. One I sold to gunner and he took it to Africa and another one a cool transition rifle that I sold to a guy that also took his to Africa. Taking an Alaskan brown bear would be tops with a pre 64 375 H&H. Now I'll patiently wait for some pictures!!!
Ruffedgrouse: Great news your success and using such a "classic" Rifle in such a "classic" caliber!
And that one shot kill deserves a bravo as well.
BRAVO!
I have been to Kodiak Island twice (fishing for giant Salmon and touring) - it is a strange (different?) place.
In our tourings we did come across some of these giants tracks in the snow but we never saw one - lots of Mt. Goats and Fox and Deer though - even saw some Buffalo there and some Elk on nearby Afognak Island.
Every few years I dream of Hunting a "Kodiak" with one of my pre-64 Winchester Model 70's in 375 H&H Magnum but the "collector" in me wakes me up and chastises me for even thinking about using one of these mint perfect 375's on a Hunt in that harsh climate/terrain.
Thanks for sharing and many happy returns of the day.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: sbrmike Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/10/22
I used 70 grains of IMR 4064 over a 260 grain Nosler Partition with Fed 215 Primer in my pre 64 Win 70 375 H&H over in Africa. It talked just as loud as your's did! the 260 -270 grain premium bullet offerings and 70 grains of IMR 4064 is a winner! Nice job!
Posted By: handwerk Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/10/22
Congrats on what sounds like a wonderful hunt with the classic bear gun. Looking forward to pictures!
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/10/22
Just saw this...well done, Dan!
thank you all who have sent congrats. Today I was thinking that I might give my perspective on using this classic blued/wood stock on Kodiak and what I do to prepare the gun for that environment: first, I guess I'm rather tight: I fully understand the rational of putting a fiberglass stock on for such use. But honestly guys, I don't think it is necessary if the prep is done adequately. I think the cost of a McMillan is too high for me. And of course, the pre-64s I've used in Alaska are not collectables. The .300 has been re-barrelled and the stock, although factory, is not original to the rifle.

SO, I put multiple coats of finish everywhere INSIDE the stock. ALL metal surfaces under the stock are coated with something I trust, such a Corrosion X or RIG. For this hunt, the barrel all around the forend was taped with electrical tape so no water could get in the barrel channel. And of course the muzzle was taped shut as well. Each night I ran a bore snake thru the barrel. In several hunts with the .300 and now with the .375, I have not seen a single sign of water or moisture inside the stock and no perceiveable warpage. I do find VERY small STARTS of rust in a few places, but nothing that cannot be cleaned up in the field very easily.

So my perspective is that the factory stocks can be used with complete confidence as well as the metal as well IF properly prepared. I've hunted in other parts of the country and on one horseback hunt with my 70s, but nothing I've personally been in can compare with Alaska for wetness.

I just thought this experience just might be helpful to someone considering whether a stock replacement is a MUST. Just my experience.

Dan
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
thank you all who have sent congrats. Today I was thinking that I might give my perspective on using this classic blued/wood stock on Kodiak and what I do to prepare the gun for that environment: first, I guess I'm rather tight: I fully understand the rational of putting a fiberglass stock on for such use. But honestly guys, I don't think it is necessary if the prep is done adequately. I think the cost of a McMillan is too high for me. And of course, the pre-64s I've used in Alaska are not collectables. The .300 has been re-barrelled and the stock, although factory, is not original to the rifle.

SO, I put multiple coats of finish everywhere INSIDE the stock. ALL metal surfaces under the stock are coated with something I trust, such a Corrosion X or RIG. For this hunt, the barrel all around the forend was taped with electrical tape so no water could get in the barrel channel. And of course the muzzle was taped shut as well. Each night I ran a bore snake thru the barrel. In several hunts with the .300 and now with the .375, I have not seen a single sign of water or moisture inside the stock and no perceiveable warpage. I do find VERY small STARTS of rust in a few places, but nothing that cannot be cleaned up in the field very easily.

So my perspective is that the factory stocks can be used with complete confidence as well as the metal as well IF properly prepared. I've hunted in other parts of the country and on one horseback hunt with my 70s, but nothing I've personally been in can compare with Alaska for wetness.

I just thought this experience just might be helpful to someone considering whether a stock replacement is a MUST. Just my experience.

Dan
Good stuff Dan. While it is definitely not a "must", it eases some of the pressure off of having to greatly care for a stock out in the field. While I do not hunt AK, I can tell you that in Oregon, it gets pretty wet as well. No where near as bad as AK, so for me I'd want a Mcmillan on board while I left the primo (hopefully) stock at home..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: sbrmike Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/10/22
The way I look at it is you spend a lot of time sitting and looking at your rifle. I would much rather look at a nice piece of walnut than asphalt or painted asphalt. Yeah coat the metal with RIG and either wax or spray lemon pledge on the wood. I like a well worn, hunted with gun!
Posted By: beretzs Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/16/22
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Just got back into town Dan, sorry about the delay getting your pictures up.

Helluva bear! Congrats on the hunt. Awesome pictures.
Cool pics. Great job on getting your bear and doing it with a classic rifle.
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/16/22
Yep-and to get to experience it with your guide-son makes it all the more special. That had to be worth waiting for!
Posted By: 99guy Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/17/22
What a great story.
Posted By: haazrob Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/17/22
Congratulations! Great memories made. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Whitebird Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/17/22
Well done!
Posted By: TX35W Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/17/22
Great story. Congrats to you guys.
Posted By: PSH Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/18/22
Does not get any better than that!
Posted By: SKane Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/18/22
OUTSTANDING!!!
NICE !!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/22/22
Loved the story of hunting with your son. And using a classic pre-64 375 was icing on the cake. Congrats on the nice trophy and spending time with your son.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/27/22
Congratulations on a great hunt ,with the classic 375 H&H !
Where was the bear hit, and any chance you recovered the bullet?
Thanks!
Outstanding, don't know how it could get better did you guys eat fresh seafood everyday? So congratulations to the father, the son and the holy bear. Well done...mb
Kenster: Did not recover the bullet. Tried to: while we were waiting for the plane to pick us up, I had some time, so went to work with a knife and saw: opened the body cavity and pulled out all kinds of stuff: could not find it: rather disappointed. However, the heart looked easy to remove so I did. There was a hole in it that sure looked like a bullet hole but not certain. Took the heart back to show Nathan: he'd never see one from a brown bear before but probably not many dig around trying to remove one. It was pretty large. Actually took a picture of it.

Magnum Bob: No seafood till we got back to Kodiak. Then went out for a fishfry.

thanks guys.
Posted By: PSH Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 05/27/22
it really does not get any cooler than that. I love hunting with my girls, more about the memories than success, but it is the ultimate when a plan comes together. Nice bear, that is the one critter id love to have a crack at. Honestly, id probably take my pre 64 375 as well. Fat Betty or not, lol. Killed a bunch of elk with that caliber and never had one go more than 100 yards. Most are drt. Love stories like this
Posted By: Ken_L Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 11/17/22
Congratulations! What a great hunt and even better with your son.
Posted By: Dinny Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 11/17/22
Congrats! Just out of curiosity, how would a stout-loaded 250gr bullet (Nosler or Speer) from a 35 Whelen perform on bears of this magnitude? I only ask because that's my largest rifle and I'd like to hunt up there someday.

Thanks, Dinny
I took my brown bear with a 338-06 with 250 gr A Frame. He did not like it at all! The 35 W with the big bullet should do as well. Mine was at just under 100 yards and he did not go 100 yards.
Posted By: SS336 Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 11/17/22
What a great time that must of been! Great pictures of you and your son. The beautiful bear is icing on the cake.
Posted By: FNWhelen Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 12/16/22
Dan I think it is great you were able to hunt with your son. Being able to take a bear with a gun you have love for is just icing on the cake. Some of my best memories are from hunting with my dad. Killing my first animal, first time I was big and strong enough to offer to carry his rifle for him, the one and only time I ever saw him miss an animal and me being able to hit it. The last one I had to wait 40 years for but it was priceless!
Posted By: FNWhelen Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 12/16/22
Originally Posted by Dinny
Congrats! Just out of curiosity, how would a stout-loaded 250gr bullet (Nosler or Speer) from a 35 Whelen perform on bears of this magnitude? I only ask because that's my largest rifle and I'd like to hunt up there someday.

Thanks, Dinny
Small side track sorry. I can think of no less than six brown bears my father killed with a 35 Whelen. One old ornery boar was dropped in full charge at 20 feet with one shot.
I believe the 35 Whelen is plenty for anything in Alaska. Dad owned a gun shop so I had access to anything I might want but my Whelen has been on every hunt but one for the past 40 years.
Posted By: pete53 Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 12/16/22
congrats , i have a few Winchester model 70`s pre64 too even a 338 Win mag Alaskan still looks like new . good job on the bear hunt ! Pete53
Posted By: rockdoc Re: pre-64 M70 on brown bear - 12/16/22
Congratulations on a beautiful bear and a great hunt with your son!

Lovely rifle. I recently acquired a pre64 375H&H. Think it might have been used to cull Buff in the Northern Territory, where I got it from. I could hunt Alaska without much prep and it couldn’t look any worse!

I need a good stock for it and it’s getting a good reblue.
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Congratulations on a beautiful bear and a great hunt with your son!

Lovely rifle. I recently acquired a pre64 375H&H. Think it might have been used to cull Buff in the Northern Territory, where I got it from. I could hunt Alaska without much prep and it couldn’t look any worse!

I need a good stock for it and it’s getting a good reblue.

When you find that stock and get it all spruced up, start a thread on it. I'd love to see it..
Rockdoc: Alaska is indeed hard on guns AND equipment!
I have Hunted Alaska four times for Mt. Goat and Black Bear.
I only used one of my pre-64 Winchesters on one of those Hunts - lesson learned I guess.
I went to fiberglass stocks on common Rifles (Remingtons) after that lesson.

Thanks Beretsz for the photo's.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire