Home
I have a 1984 Win 70 Carbine SA 223. Will an early Red Pad Walnut Featherweight Short Action Stock fit this barreled Carbine action? Both are inletted for 2 piece bottom metal. Thanks.
I believe a Win 70 Carbine barreled short action would fit perfectly into a same vintage year short action Walnut Featherweight stock with no problems. Any thoughts?
Make sure to confirm action length on both. I would actually measure if I could. This was about the time of the transition to a true short action - somebody could sell you an early ‘84 featherweight stock off of a 243 and it could be a long action.
AK: Thanks! It’s 7” between screw action holes so it should be a SA.
I happen to have a "minty" M70 Carbine Short Action in 223 that I acquired in a trade. Never seen one before. How common are they and what are they going for?
Originally Posted by GAGoober
AK: Thanks! It’s 7” between screw action holes so it should be a SA.

AK is right but given addition measurement, this should fit. Plan to mess with the "bedding".
I dug out a copied post from Dick at Mcmillan, pertaining to the action measurements for bolt hole spacing. I had saved it due to my interest in the Model 70. It's probably been posted before, but it seems relevant whenever stocks are being discussed. Have a great fall season.

New Winchester 70 long action= 7.575 inches.

New Winchester 70 short action= 7.035 inches.

Pre-64 Winchester 70= 7.450 inches.
© 24hourcampfire