Home
What say you Winchester guru's?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sorry, I had to paint my new Brown PoundR and install a red pad on it.. eek I'm pretty happy with how my $350.00 classic synthetic 7mm rem mag turned out though.. She's a shooter and a looker. Had to also install a pre fit limbsaver on that one. The old pad was too ratty.
That’s the final straw BSA.
Break out the hacksaw.
No!!! I actually like the BOSS. ha ha.. Oh man. I was talking about the stock color.. I'm sorry, the BOSS is actually growing on me. Not like a hemroid either.. I don't use it to tune a load yet. I'm still contemplating that one. But it does reduce recoil by a good margin.. Although the 7mm rem mag is not a heavy kicker. The newest 7mm rem mag I bought, I painted the tupperware brown with a little texture. With its new limbsaver, it is very mild mannered.. I could possibly shoot that one "all day long". Here is what I shot last week:

Too many new rifles here lately to play with. The biggest pile of brass was from the 7mm rem mags (2 rifles), the smallest pile was from my 300WBY in the poundR. I had enough of that schidt after 9 rounds!! The other piles were from my new 204 Ruger, fast twist Tikka 22-250 and 5 rounds I shot in competition with the Creedmire... That rifle is shooting like a mother I'll tell you. Still loving that new ATACR, but only shoot that rifle once a month now..
Looks like an elk killin machine to me... wink
Originally Posted by 99guy
Looks like an elk killin machine to me... wink

It only makes the decision of which one to take, that much harder. ha ha.. You guys know what I'm talking about.. Last year I wanted so much to shoot one with my 300wby and the 175 LRX, but my arm got tired of packing that sob all week and on the last day I pulled the lightweight Tikka T3x 7MM08 out for some relief. Tagged my bull with that 7mm08 and it worked just fine. Now that the 300wby is in the Brown PoundR, it is perfect. Not just "damn near", but absolutely perfect. I can only pack 1 rifle around for elk hunting, but yes you are right. The 7mm rem mag BOSS would be devastating on an elk of any size...
Brown goes with the blued rifles, ya gotta change it up a bit. Maybe OD green?
Originally Posted by tmitch
Brown goes with the blued rifles, ya gotta change it up a bit. Maybe OD green?

I like that idea. Good thinking buddy. I was picturing that in my mind as well.. I may have to run to the store and get some paint.. I always really liked this combo:

Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Break out the hacksaw.
THAT!!! Them ugly M-Fers need to go away - FAR, FAR away... smile
Originally Posted by Redneck
Break out the hacksaw.
THAT!!! Them ugly M-Fers need to go away - FAR, FAR away... smile

Ha ha. I usually 100% agree with you guys on this, but I will leave it. The damn barrel says "BOSS" on it anyway. Who knows, maybe it will be collectable one of these days?
I'd leave the way it is and stuff that thing with 175 grain NPs and rain death and destruction....
I'd leave the way it is and stuff that thing with 175 grain NPs and rain death and destruction....

Yeah, it's a great user right now. Just thinking of gussying it up a bit. I've already glass bedded it. I don't know if I'll ever by anymore partitions though since SPS thinks they have to price gouge the fu ck out of us. There are many of us that remember that kind of chit. I'll gladly use Hornady pills or Barnes mono metals, since they remain on the shelf and fairly reasonably priced.

It doesn't mind factory federal 175's, so your bullet weight idea may be a good one:

It was actually too windy to be shooting that day, but the store clerk I bought the rifle from wanted to see how the rifle shot after I glass bedded it. The Burris reps in that shop, that day, appreciated the feedback on the scope I was using as well...:

Here was a little load development. Rifle shows pretty good promise and good consistency after glass bedding:

The brown tupperwared 7mm rem mag without the BOSS is a great shooter:

Had an issue with that used American made Burris, so I sent it in. I just bought that scope on ebay too, but at least it has a lifetime warranty. Sent in 2 scopes last week. One Zeiss Conquest and that Burris FFII. We will see if Burris fixed the issues it had. If not, I'm going to be pissed!!! Put the Leupold that is actually working back on the blued 7mm rem mag. That is actually a good Leupold, surprisingly...
Break out the hacksaw.
What brand of red recoil pad you using on them brown rifles?

pre fit limbsaver?
Originally Posted by LightninHopkins

pre fit limbsaver?

Red pachmayr 1" decelerators on the brown PoundR's shown in the first pic.

That's always my "go to" red pad and works well on magnum rifles. ^^^^^

The "pre fit" Limbsaver is also a great recoil pad for reducing recoil on magnum rifles. I do favor the looks of the Pachmayr more though. The fit up on the Limbsaver was excellent: That doesn't always happen with those. Just a warning. Limbsaver makes them for some of the wood stocked model 70's and tupperware stocked model 70's. I threw away the packaging, so I don't have the part number on that one.

Here's a better pic of the Limbsaver I'm talking about:
Thank you buddy, love the red and I know what to get now.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

pre fit limbsaver?

The "pre fit" Limbsaver is also a great recoil pad for reducing recoil on magnum rifles. I do favor the looks of the Pachmayr more though. The fit up on the Limbsaver was excellent: That doesn't always happen with those. Just a warning. Limbsaver makes them for some of the wood stocked model 70's and tupperware stocked model 70's. I threw away the packaging, so I don't have the part number on that one.

Good luck finding them. I think BSA depleted the national stock of red ones. 😬
Good luck finding them. I think BSA depleted the national stock of red ones. 😬

Ha ha... And also on great deals on classics.

pre fit limbsaver?

You are welcome. Check Midsouth. They should have more, but shipping takes forever!!!!

I don't know if I'll ever by anymore partitions though since SPS thinks they have to price gouge the fu ck out of us.

I love the 175 NP with its great BC, but true dat...

pre fit limbsaver?

You are welcome. Check Midsouth. They should have more, but shipping takes forever!!!!
Cough cough …
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I don't know if I'll ever by anymore partitions though since SPS thinks they have to price gouge the fu ck out of us.

I love the 175 NP with its great BC, but true dat...

Yeah, it sure is an excellent bullet. I'll run across some eventually on a closeout deal or something like that..

pre fit limbsaver?

Cough cough …

Oh no. Does it actually say "out of stock". I bought the last 3 they had in the nation.. ha ha.. OOPS..
It does. You did, ya bastid!

But if anyone feels inclined to enrich Larry’s coffers, they actually have them in stock.

But if anyone feels inclined to enrich Larry’s coffers, they actually have them in stock.

I got time.

Phew!! I was starting to get worried.. grin
I'm going to go to the store and look for a good paint to use. Tmitch had a great idea with the OD green color..
Maybe throw a little black speckle in, I kinda like the way my .358 came out.

Originally Posted by tmitch
Maybe throw a little black speckle in, I kinda like the way my .358 came out.

That's a beauty. I wish I had some black webbing paint.. I just went with the typical very light texture paint I have. Gives it a good feel and adds a little color. I do like your stock though. I recently bought a Tikka that is very similar:

My new 22-250 resides in that stock now. The 204 may get sent down the road..
Well, it's painted. Should be really dry by tomorrow. Hot here today!! I think it will look a little better now. Not quite so plain tupperware looking anyway..
Not exactly what I was wanting, but it will suffice for now:

I like green myself. I think it looks sharp on 70’s for some reason.

I agree with the others. Chop the BOSS. Good downrigger weight.
Originally Posted by beretzs
I like green myself. I think it looks sharp on 70’s for some reason.

I agree with the others. Chop the BOSS. Good downrigger weight.

ha ha..
Came close to buying a Boss Braked SS Classic in the smaller 300 win mag smile but it got sold a few days before but was still displayed.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Came close to buying a Boss Braked SS Classic in the smaller 300 win mag smile but it got sold a few days before but was still displayed.

Have you sent your 300wby in for a new red decelerator yet? I'm contemplating putting one on my new to me 300wby XTR Sporter. Still up in the air about selling that one though. If I do, I'm going to leave the original pad on it and let someone else worry about it. She's a kicker with the solid red pad.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Have you sent your 300wby in for a new red decelerator yet? I'm contemplating putting one on my new to me 300wby XTR Sporter. Still up in the air about selling that one though. If I do, I'm going to leave the original pad on it and let someone else worry about it. She's a kicker with the solid red pad.

No I have not sent it in yet. Probably this week or next. My first MK V 300 wby was a Saco Maine SS fluted barrel gun, going to say just a few ounces over 7 lbs . It was a handful at first but 1 year later later not a thought about recoil with it. It was boringly accurate, did not matter what I fed it. I hope this 70 is as accurate.

Sorry, I had to paint my new Brown PoundR and install a red pad on it.. eek I'm pretty happy with how my $350.00 classic synthetic 7mm rem mag turned out though.. She's a shooter and a looker. Had to also install a pre fit limbsaver on that one. The old pad was too ratty.

These are nice looking rifles. Really like the short barrel with sights on the rifle at Top. The second rifle from the Top looks like everything goes together, rifle, stock, scope, etc. What stock is 2nd rifle from the top wearing?
Originally Posted by mwarren

These are nice looking rifles. Really like the short barrel with sights on the rifle at Top. The second rifle from the Top looks like everything goes together, rifle, stock, scope, etc. What stock is 2nd rifle from the top wearing?

Thanks. The rifle on top is a recent purchase. I bought it 2 months ago: it is a 1961 30-06 featherweight in a Mcmillan stock. The second one down is my pre 64 338WM semi custom with Gretan stainless barrel, and midnight blue cerakote. It sits in a Brown Precision PoundR. Its a favorite of mine. One of my favorite elk rifles, since it only weighs about 8 pounds all up. The rifle below that also wears a Brown Precision PoundR. A recent purchase of mine. I have $180 (total) in the stock, after selling the wood stock that it used to wear. That rifle is a very good rechambered 300H&H, now a 300WBY. Shoots lights out and is nice and light as well. Very similar to the 338wm, except for the 2" longer barrel and factory irons. All of these rifles have been glass bedded, and fine tuned, so they shoot very well.
Really like those Brown Precision stocks...especially with the red pads...very nice. I've seen pics of Brown Precision stocks but I guess they have always been on a Rem 700. 8# all up is amazing for a rifle like that in my book.
If Thor were a hunter then I imagine the second rifle from the top would be his hammer.
If Thor were a hunter then I imagine the second rifle from the top would be his hammer.

Ha ha, yeah. It is a hammer. A pretty precise one at that. One of my favorites for sure. These guys probably get tired of me posting pictures of it...

It's lightweitht, holds 4 magnum cartridges in the box and 1 in the pipe. Pretty good fire power. It balances perfectly. Really a very good combination, like you said. I don't think I'd change a thing on it. The scope is an older Zeiss Conquest that has very nice glass. I went with the 3.5-10x44, since it is one of my main elk rifles and most shots are fairly close:

That 300WBY is pretty much the same way, but with a cheaper Zeiss scope on top. It will work out well enough though.
Holy smack, that is one heck of a group there. Especially when you consider that's a 338 Win Mag. Nice elk too. I'm guessing your freezer is in good shape.
Holy smack, that is one heck of a group there. Especially when you consider that's a 338 Win Mag. Nice elk too. I'm guessing your freezer is in good shape.

Yeah. I've got some elk steaks on the grill right now in fact.. Nice tender spike bull from last year.
Was in a gun shop last week, looking for components, and my son pointed at a M70 SM Boss Classic in .270wcf. I said nope, no guns this year, then he flipped the tag, $499, it's now on layaway! Could not help myself! Not excited about the Boss, but I just couldn't let it go.
Originally Posted by Fuelman
Was in a gun shop last week, looking for components, and my son pointed at a M70 SM Boss Classic in .270wcf. I said nope, no guns this year, then he flipped the tag, $499, it's now on layaway! Could not help myself! Not excited about the Boss, but I just couldn't let it go.
Ha ha. You did very well fuelman. At that price its hard to walk away!! The same thing happened to me when I was buying my recent XTR Sporter 300WBY. Except it was a classic sporter 7mm rem mag for $500. I'm really happy with these 2 new 7mm RM rifles. Have you ever had a rifle with the boss system?
I have a M70 Super Grade .338wm and an A-Bolt .308win. Both rifles are sub-moa, I've never messed with either Boss setting, certainly tames recoil while increasing noise of course. As far as looks, I could do without.
The BOSS is like CROCS... the holes are there because that's where your dignity leaks out.
Originally Posted by Brad
The BOSS is like CROCS... the holes are there because that's where your dignity leaks out.
I always hated the looks, but just started wearing crocs this year too!! A gift from my sister, so you know how that goes. Ha ha. Have a good 4th Mac
© 24hourcampfire