Home
Posted By: JamesJr Winchester Model 71 - 09/05/22
Passing this along, saw on Facebook where a person has a Winchester Model 71, made in 1937 with a 4 digit serial number, 348 Winchester with 3 boxes ammo. He's asking $2300, which I thought sounded high. If anyone wants any more info, I'll give you his name.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester Model 71 - 09/06/22
More info. Standard or Deluxe? Bolt peep? Deal doesn't sound bad if it is a Deluxe model. I recently saw one sell for $3,500, but would not pay that much for one because I know where I can buy a Deluxe model with factory bolt peep for $2,200 and it is also a long tang 4 digit (first year).. Its a beautiful rifle too. More info would help.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Winchester Model 71 - 09/06/22
The pics show a peep. I'm not going to post the guys name on here for the world to see, but I'd give info in a PM.
Posted By: Lonebull2 Re: Winchester Model 71 - 09/07/22
Depending on condition, could easily be worth that with today's prices...ammo is going for $75-100+ a box depending on age, weight, manufacture.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester Model 71 - 09/07/22
I'd check for extra holes in the side of the receiver too. That was common back in the day, but really brings down the value..
I'd rather just get a better rifle like a Henry. At least the Henry is made in 'merica and not Turkey or Brazil.
Posted By: knivesforme Re: Winchester Model 71 - 09/08/22
And a 1937 Winchester Model 71 was made in Turkey or Brazil?
Posted By: pacecars Re: Winchester Model 71 - 09/08/22
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
I'd rather just get a better rifle like a Henry. At least the Henry is made in 'merica and not Turkey or Brazil.

I am pretty sure a 1937 Winchester 71 was made in “merica”
Posted By: iskra Re: Winchester Model 71 - 09/08/22
Yup, "Winchesters" were "Made in America" then. The last couple of levers I bought, one "Winchester" branded, the other Browning and both made by Miroku of Japan. Well made and functioned well. For those intent on source originality of contemporary name-brands... Good luck. Nowadays, if it isn't something made for the US Government at some outrageous price, likely "outsourced" from another nation. 'If' the quality is there, I don't have a problem with that! If "American production originality to be demanded, buy "vintage"... at such prices! For 'shootin' guns, I'd rather save the up-front investment and use-depreciation of a really nice specimen and just buy the foreign product!

Just my take!
Best!
John
Henry is American and just a good smooth strong action. Not sure if I'd trust anything if it was made in 1937. I'm not certain but didn't they use cast and rot iron barrels on those old rifles? They may or may not be acceptable for smokeless powder because this was close to the Civil War era.
Posted By: EddieSouthgate Re: Winchester Model 71 - 09/08/22
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Henry is American and just a good smooth strong action. Not sure if I'd trust anything if it was made in 1937. I'm not certain but didn't they use cast and rot iron barrels on those old rifles? They may or may not be acceptable for smokeless powder because this was close to the Civil War era.

No they did not use cast or wrought iron in those days and a 1937 would have been made 72 years after the Civil War. Not only do you need to learn to spell but you could also use a History lesson and maybe a math lesson or two. Winchesters built after 1895 were all built for smokeless powder.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Winchester Model 71 - 09/08/22
Let me tell you guys something. I currently own two 71s and they are lovely, well made rifles. I also own two Miroku 71s (Browning), the form, fit and fuction of the Mirokus FAR outclasses anything made today. Superb
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Let me tell you guys something. I currently own two 71s and they are lovely, well made rifles. I also own two Miroku 71s (Browning), the form, fit and fuction of the Mirokus FAR outclasses anything made today. Superb
Are they safe to use?
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Passing this along, saw on Facebook where a person has a Winchester Model 71, made in 1937 with a 4 digit serial number, 348 Winchester with 3 boxes ammo. He's asking $2300, which I thought sounded high. If anyone wants any more info, I'll give you his name.
No, those things go for ridiculous money. I wanted one back in the early 2000s, and I think they were going for around $1,800.00 in nice shape, so in today's market, the price you quote sounds about right.
© 24hourcampfire