Home
Posted By: Technoman26 Internet bargains? - 10/28/22
I know, I know...GunBroker is full of liars and scammers. No bargains to be had.

Definitely not a bargain

I don't know, I've seen a bunch a bargain Winchester model 70s sell lately on several sites. Must just be my dumb luck finding them.

(And no, I didn't buy that one.)

Just fun looking around at stuff. Be patient fellas, prices are coming down.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Internet bargains? - 10/28/22
Holy crap!
Under $400 with a quality stock?
Somebody scored …
Posted By: Technoman26 Re: Internet bargains? - 10/28/22
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Holy crap!
Under $400 with a quality stock?
Somebody scored …

You're not kidding AK. That was a steal.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Internet bargains? - 10/28/22
Originally Posted by Technoman26
I know, I know...GunBroker is full of liars and scammers. No bargains to be had.

Definitely not a bargain

I don't know, I've seen a bunch a bargain Winchester model 70s sell lately on several sites. Must just be my dumb luck finding them.

(And no, I didn't buy that one.)

Just fun looking around at stuff. Be patient fellas, prices are coming down.

With a failing economy of course prices are going to be coming down. That has been pretty predictable. Like my buddy told me the other day, keep an eye on the pawnshops as people are going to be selling their toys like nice rifles, not just winchesters, to pay their bills. It's sad when people have to pawn/sell their nice rifles to pay for gas, food or their bills. Good for guys that buy stuff like I do, bad for people barely scraping by. Want me to tell you what is going to happen with the housing market? Or how interest rates affect things? ha ha..
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Internet bargains? - 10/28/22
That was a steal.
Originally Posted by Troutnut
That was a steal.

It was. There have been several good buys recently. Like BSA says, it's predictable at this point. With the economy tanking and interest rates rising people don't have the spending cash they did. We'll see how things progress but I expect some more bargains to be available over the coming months.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Internet bargains? - 10/28/22
Techonman26: Well you are right about gunbreaker being full of "liars and scammers" (and that is just the beginning of their nefarity!).
You did NOT mention if the Rifle in question arrived on time to the buyer and/or in the condition represented!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Techonman26: Well you are right about gunbreaker being full of "liars and scammers" (and that is just the beginning of their nefarity!).
You did NOT mention if the Rifle in question arrived on time to the buyer and/or in the condition represented!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Likely because he wasn’t the buyer.

All these horrible gunbroker experiences; yet you’ve stated you have never bought something off the site.

Scammers will always be scammers; whether it’s here, GB, or your gun shows.

Stay vigilant my internet friend.
Scammers will always be scammers; whether it’s here, GB, or your gun shows.

Stay vigilant my internet friend.
^^^ this

In my somewhat limited experience with GunBroker as a buyer and seller, it's been good for me.
Oh and my note about GunBroker being full of liars and scammers...SARCASM
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Internet bargains? - 10/28/22
I've made about 25 buys off gunbroker in the last 2 years. Not a complaint out of any of those. Check the pictures well, ask for more if needed. Don't buy if they don't have sufficient feedback or a couple negative comments. Obviously some are blatant lies and overpriced but pass those by. I'm into mostly older blued steel and walnut stuff. I can see more guns in 20 minutes on my phone or computer than I can see in a week of hitting pawn shops and gun shops
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Internet bargains? - 10/28/22
I've bought hundreds of firearms via GB and have only had one really bad experience to date. In 2015 I bought a Savage 170 in 30-30 from B&B Pawn and Jewelry that was in much poorer condition than advertised. I contacted the seller before I bid to ask about the condition of the bore and was told that it was in excellent condition, but when it arrived the bore was dirty and had a very serious rust spot in it about 3" in back of the muzzle. I should have known better, as the pictures were blurry and it was a no returns gun. As usual, GB didn't care, but I did register a complaint with the local BBB and got nasty feedback from the seller.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Kimber Hunter in 308 via GB that was advertised as being unfired, but when I got it the bore was filthy and the bolt face had a carbon ring on it. It cleaned up fine, but I was a little disappointed by the seller's lack of honesty about the rifle's actual condition. All he had to do was open the action and look down the barrel to see that not only had it been fired, but that it had been fired quite a lot and had not been cleaned.

OTOH, I've gotten a few deals over the years, mostly on stuff that the seller didn't know what he had and priced it below fair market value.
My experience closely echoes the two above.
Only time I have gotten truly screwed was on a scope - sent a check to the seller which he cashed; then he died. He didn’t send the scope before his untimely event and I could never get the estate to send me the scope (they “couldn’t find it” - or the money). Bummed me out because it was a kahles CL, but I figured he got the worse end of the deal.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Internet bargains? - 12/02/22
Reasonable 5 digit ss 338:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...hipping-no-cc-fees-.cfm?gun_id=102141819
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Internet bargains? - 12/02/22

That one has been listed for quite a while too. I've been keeping an eye on it. I won't buy it because I already have a good 338, but someone will get a good deal..
Posted By: iskra Re: Internet bargains? - 12/02/22
So... With inflation, interest rates & dollar ever climbing, S&P500 down, tech industries down & bitcoin tanking... Our Dollar purchasing power getting wrung out & shadow of massive rail strike... Internationally much of Eurpoe to go the winter with little heat! China economy on verge of tanking with Real Estate Boom literally "busting" and Covid behind every bush. Russia is suffering from Putanism and "being Russia, with intent. War in Europe 'Trending' as occurring!

Not to mention the plight of New Zealand as 'bit hot' and Denmark outbreak of chapped lips! Oh my!

Needed urgently... BIG FIVE... - count 'em five: smile smile smile smile smile required.

Don't worry, be happy!
John
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Internet bargains? - 12/02/22

That one might end up with me. It's located 30 minutes from home. We shall see. Been looking for a SS 338 for a while.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Internet bargains? - 12/03/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That one has been listed for quite a while too. I've been keeping an eye on it. I won't buy it because I already have a good 338, but someone will get a good deal..
I believe that was the first time it was listed at that price.

Hopefully someone here was able to bring it home.
Posted By: iskra Re: Internet bargains? - 12/03/22
Re never getting paid for scope sent to guy who had the audacity to up & die! Some such!

Amazing the length folks will go to to avoid fulfilling a transaction promise! How utterly inconvenient of him to die! Really rude and thin excuse! What if we all did that! I'd not deal with him again! For Sure!
smile smile smile
Best & hang in there!!!
John
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Internet bargains? - 12/06/22
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...inless-synthetic#lg=17873485&slide=0

Pretty decent buy listed In classifieds from a new member.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Internet bargains? - 12/06/22

Nice rifle. Appears to be a 7 digit stainless classic. In what appears to be great condition. Wondering what Leupod it has on it though? Vari-X II? Vari-X IIc? At $1,150.00, that is a good buy..
Posted By: Brad Re: Internet bargains? - 12/06/22

Nice rifle. Appears to be a 7 digit stainless classic. In what appears to be great condition. Wondering what Leupod it has on it though? Vari-X II? Vari-X IIc? At $1,150.00, that is a good buy..

Looks like an early non-CRF model from 1991-ish.
Good spot Brad, I should have looked at the rokslide pics. 🤦‍♂️
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Internet bargains? - 12/06/22
Good spot Brad, I should have looked at the rokslide pics. 🤦‍♂️

Really good catch from Brad. That would be a rare rifle then, possibly? I should have looked at it better. Probably still worth the asking price. The first year of that stainless pushfeed was 1992, according to this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The OP's rifle's serial # is a little later than the rifle pictured above. Close though. I don't think they made them for very long.
Not too long; roughly a year. Have seen them to just over G21xxxxx. They made a fw in 270 and 06 also.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Internet bargains? - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by Brad

Looks like an early non-CRF model from 1991-ish.

That's what I was seeing as well.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Internet bargains? - 12/07/22

The seller is being slightly naive. I've said this before, but some guys don't know what they have. He doesn't even know how to tell what the scope is. Don't know if he actually has the rifle in hand. Be cautious, until he can provide proof.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Internet bargains? - 12/08/22
Not too long; roughly a year. Have seen them to just over G21xxxxx. They made a fw in 270 and 06 also.

He posted some new pics of the rifle and scope. Looks like a good deal. Scope is a Vari-X IIc 3-9X40.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Internet bargains? - 12/08/22
End of hunting season and Christmas gifts to buy
Posted By: Kram7088 Re: Internet bargains? - 12/09/22
You can find bargains if you look long enough, problem is I think I need to buy every bargain
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Internet bargains? - 12/09/22
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/960844810

I haven’t seen one for sale in a while, but here is one of the pushfeed, stainless featherweights in 270.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Internet bargains? - 12/09/22
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/960844810

I haven’t seen one for sale in a while, but here is one of the pushfeed, stainless featherweights in 270.

A wise man would buy that 338wm. I haven't said much about it, but it's pretty desirable. Collector status if you will, even though it is not the infamous pre 64 or even classic. The scope is worth roughly $375. How do I know that? Because that is what I sold mine for last year..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I don't tend to like Leupolds or silver scopes, but they demand big bucks these days.. Someone should buy that 338wm.
© 24hourcampfire