Home
In case anyone here is looking; these were a limited run. Not a horrible price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/955784162
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
In case anyone here is looking; these were a limited run. Not a horrible price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/955784162

That’s a dandy.

I bet that’d make an excellent candidate for a rebore project as well.
Ughh I blame y’all. Headed my way, if it shoots half as good as it looks then it’s staying with me.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Stainless Alaskan 338 on GB - 11/05/22
Nice!
Congrats Woodsman that is a great looking rifle.
That one is priced right.
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
Ughh I blame y’all. Headed my way, if it shoots half as good as it looks then it’s staying with me.
Always happy to help spend someone else’s!

Congrats. That is a nice one. Glad you got it.

My son has one of those. I was going to change the stock to a McMillan. He declined. The laminated one was bedded. I don't recall the groups that I got from factory loaded Barnes, 210 TTSX or 225 TTSX. But, they certainly were not terrible, or I would recall that. I did change the trigger to a Timney and the bottom metal to traditional stainless.
Thanks for posting it up! Out of curiosity does anybody know if a pre 64 style trigger can be installed at a BACO model 70?
Thanks for posting it up! Out of curiosity does anybody know if a pre 64 style trigger can be installed at a BACO model 70?

No
Posted By: iskra Re: Stainless Alaskan 338 on GB - 11/05/22
Always happy to help spend someone else’s!

Congrats. That is a nice one. Glad you got it.

Make that 'Contgrats', a double! Fails my blue and walnut rqmt! But if it works for you, that's what counts! And...

Re: "Always happy to help spend someone else's!" Dang! Most of us have wives for that! smile

Best!
John
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

No

This^^^ I don't know about you, but I have been seeing some nice 338's on gunsinternational lately. They had/have a real nice walnut stainless one last week when I looked. Still have the nice custom shop 338wm I started a thread on as well. Chances are the one in the op will shoot well. If not, it may need to be re glass bedded and trigger fine tuned with an ernie the gunsmith spring. It's going to be damn heavy with that laminate though.
We’ll see about the trigger. I have had one other BACO model 70 and sent it down the road because I just couldn’t learn to love the trigger the way the rest of my pre 64s feel. This one will be worth doing some tuning for sure.
We’ll see about the trigger. I have had one other BACO model 70 and sent it down the road because I just couldn’t learn to love the trigger the way the rest of my pre 64s feel. This one will be worth doing some tuning for sure.

I don't mind the BACO trigger myself. Respringing them seems to be the trick. Good luck with the rifle, they were and are some great looking rifles, if not a bit heavy.
Originally Posted by beretzs

I don't mind the BACO trigger myself. Respringing them seems to be the trick. Good luck with the rifle, they were and are some great looking rifles, if not a bit heavy.

What spring do your recommend? And thanks, I’m still relatively young and dumb so I don’t mind a heavier rifle too much yet. Especially in something with a little bit of kick like a 338.
Here’s the one I’ve used, with some instructions:

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i174.html
Here’s the one I’ve used, with some instructions:

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i174.html

Same one I use. Easy swap as well.
Posted By: memtb Re: Stainless Alaskan 338 on GB - 11/11/22
Congratulations! I hope that it’s everything you want it to be!

Hell…… I saw, wanted it, and have absolutely no need for it! memtb
Originally Posted by memtb

Thanks! I’ve been wanting one of the new “Alaskan” editions for a while since they’re the closest to my favorite pre 64s. This one will be the bad weather mate to my pre 64 338 😁
Posted By: iskra Re: Stainless Alaskan 338 on GB - 11/11/22
Originally Posted by memtb

Thanks! I’ve been wanting one of the new “Alaskan” editions for a while since they’re the closest to my favorite pre 64s. This one will be the bad weather mate to my pre 64 338 😁

But will she keep you warm at night? smile smile smile Maybe divide the duties! Check out "gun bearers" too!

Best!
Score!! Got hand on it today. 2012, so made in USA not Portugal. Bedding is really good, trigger spring is on order. Too stiff for my taste currently.
Range day and target pics in order..
© 24hourcampfire