Home
Posted By: cal74 Winchester 70 Classic .284 - 11/16/22
Any info when Winchester manufactured the .284 in the Classic action. Wood/blued

Found one, didn't look real close.

Found older references to a DBM that they didn't make many of. Don't believe this was one of those, but didn't look real close.

No others have been on the market for a reference price.
Never seen one other than the dbm. Did see one which had been converted from dbm but barrel still reflected dbm. Also never seen one cataloged outside of custom shop …
I’m interested if you are not!
May we ask the listed price on this gun? I bought a Ruger Model 77 in 284 a number of years ago, nice gun. My Ruger dates to 1970.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Winchester 70 Classic .284 - 11/16/22
I'll have to make it back and look more closely.

Just casually looked and 99% sure it was a .284 because I thought about a friends gun in that caliber..

Was listed for 900.00

I'll probably plan to pick it up, looked real clean.
Go buy it! I had one I shoulda kept.
Definitely interested to hear what you find. Take a look at the inscription on the right side of the barrel.
Posted By: Boogan1 Re: Winchester 70 Classic .284 - 11/17/22
I looked for one for years and could never find a winchester bolt action 284 so I had one built on a pre-64 action. Definitely let us know what you find.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Never seen one other than the dbm. Did see one which had been converted from dbm but barrel still reflected dbm. Also never seen one cataloged outside of custom shop …

This sound right to me.

Since the Winchester 70 chambered in 284 was only cataloged in the DBM configuration any variation should be approached with a health dose of skepticism and include documented provenance. You don't find real hens' teeth very often.
Posted By: PSH Re: Winchester 70 Classic .284 - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by Boogan1
I looked for one for years and could never find a winchester bolt action 284 so I had one built on a pre-64 action. Definitely let us know what you find.
+1! I did the exact same thing. Fwt contour douglas in a mcm, that is a sweet rifle.
Posted By: Boogan1 Re: Winchester 70 Classic .284 - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by PSH
+1! I did the exact same thing. Fwt contour douglas in a mcm, that is a sweet rifle.
I have a friend who works at krieger barrels and he did mine in the correct pre-64 contour including the rear sight boss but no dovetailed and no front sight so like a gopher special. I have a correct pre-64 stock but also have a highly figured carved and checkered walnut stock it sits in most of the time.

Attached picture 16320.jpeg
Posted By: gene270 Re: Winchester 70 Classic .284 - 11/23/22
if its original thats a bargain price
only ones i have seen (only 2 in person) were dbm
I agree Gene.

Cal74, you ever make it back to look at it?
Originally Posted by PSH
I have a friend who works at krieger barrels and he did mine in the correct pre-64 contour including the rear sight boss but no dovetailed and no front sight so like a gopher special. I have a correct pre-64 stock but also have a highly figured carved and checkered walnut stock it sits in most of the time.
HOLY FACK that is a beautiful rifle Boogan1!
Posted By: PSH Re: Winchester 70 Classic .284 - 11/24/22
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Originally Posted by PSH
HOLY FACK that is a beautiful rifle Boogan1!
+1, it is indeed.
Posted By: Boogan1 Re: Winchester 70 Classic .284 - 11/26/22
Thank you! When I decided to do it, I decided to do it right!
© 24hourcampfire