Home
Posted By: BluMtn 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/28/22
Question, I have an excellent shooter grade Pre-64 in 30-06 that I am thinking about parting with. This one has the same hard rubber butt pad that my Pre-64 .264 has. Was that done in 52? It also has the high cheek piece on the stock, normal also? Still has the original Iron sights, but somebody dimpled the front sight ramp. Just asking these questions so I can kind of figure out what I have so I can get pricing. It has got an old Bushnell Scope Chief 4X scope that has the center post rectal with Bueler Mounts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/28/22
A picture is worth 1,000 words..
Posted By: beretzs Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
A picture is worth 1,000 words..

Yep, that makes it pretty clear right outta the gate!
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/28/22
Absolutely.

Having said that, re:the pad - no, it would have left the factory with a steel buttplate unless special order.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/28/22
Yea I know the picture thing. I just have to take some and try and upload them. The butt pad is not a Winchester, but a Pachmayr whiteline and if it was put on later they did a really great job.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/28/22
Front sight ramps were stippled
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by BluMtn
Yea I know the picture thing. I just have to take some and try and upload them. The butt pad is not a Winchester, but a Pachmayr whiteline and if it was put on later they did a really great job.

That dings the price considerably. "Shooter" grade model 70 prices have been a bit lower recently, due to the economy. I recently saw one at a gunshow that was made in 1950. I did not buy it because it had a low comb stock on it. They had it priced at $700 and it was a nice rifle. Yours was made in 1952, according to your OP, so a montecarlo stock was an option. I prefer that style, but others prefer the low comb. Now, where you say someone "dimpled" the front ramp, if it is unoriginal, that also reduces the value. Be aware that the #2 front ramp was a heavily stippled front ramp that was used until the early 50's. "Continued as late as '53", according to Rule. However, like I said, pictures would be a huge help. Then we can really tell you what you have.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/28/22
Yep. Narrow the range from $700-$1200.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Yep. Narrow the range from $700-$1200.

I agree. Pretty much what I've been seeing..
Posted By: BluMtn Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/29/22
Been trying to load pictures all morning and not having any luck, sorry guys. If somebody wants to see the pictures PM me and I will send them to you.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/29/22
Put them in the Image Gallery
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/29/22
Been trying to load pictures all morning and not having any luck, sorry guys. If somebody wants to see the pictures PM me and I will send them to you.

IMGUR works about the best here for me. Never any issues and it's free..
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/29/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: BluMtn Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/29/22
Thanks to AKwolverine. my computer would not load pictures off my phone. Have at it guys. Pictures are worth a thousand words.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/30/22
So where are the thousand words? LOL
Posted By: Poconojack Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/30/22
As you said, a nice shooter grade gun.
Pad and swivel studs are not factory. That’s how the front sight ramp is supposed to look.
Originally Posted by Poconojack
As you said, a nice shooter grade gun.
Pad and swivel studs are not factory. That’s how the front sight ramp is supposed to look.

Thanks Poconojack, the reason I was wondering is my other Pre-64s do not have the stippled front sights on them. They are newer than this one. I acquired this in a trade and don't really have a need for it. So trying to get a feel for what I have.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/30/22

Don't even get me started man. You may not want to hear them. Hopefully someone else here will fill you in.
Posted By: 160user Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/30/22
Nice shooter grade rifle and as stated earlier, the stock has probably been cut, a pad added and sling studs replaced with QD type. I had a couple similar that I tried to peddle this Fall and there wasn't a lot of interest. My guess is for it to SELL (you can ask anything) it will be in the $800-900 range.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Don't even get me started man. You may not want to hear them. Hopefully someone else here will fill you in.

LOL, Way to be politically correct BSA. I am not a collector. I get them, shoot them and if I like them I keep them and if I don't I sell them to the next guy that wants to try it.
Posted By: sbrmike Re: 52 Mod. 70 Question - 11/30/22
I didn't read all of the posts but did reas many and looked at the pics.

I don't know if anyone pointed these things out, but a 1952 was probably the last of the best ones. They had the scope mounting down and some even hade Monte Carlo Combs. They didn't start the cost cutting measures or at least the early 1952 models still had Integral front sight ramps and hand lapped bores finished with up to 7 different reamers. A 1952 is a great model 70 for owning, hunting, or collecting.
© 24hourcampfire