Home
Posted By: EdM Price Check Please - 11/28/22
I know nothing about newer M70's. LGS has a BACO marked stainless Featherweight 7mm-08 in mint condition with a 2.5-10 X 42 Nikon Monarch scope in Talley LW mounts. They are asking $1k for it. Thoughts?
Posted By: iskra Re: Price Check Please - 11/29/22
A good answer would depend if you're in the market for yourself as a 'keeper' or maybe a 'make do' until the perfect specimen comes along.

Either case, suggest some input on your part as good prerequisite. Have you calculated the components new IF all available? Good opportunity for learning wider vistas of what's out there beyond LGS!

If 'keeper', perhaps calculated your willingness to accept the package as it is or will want to start messing as swapping 'stuff'?'

I'm too removed from such markets but the practical questions above getting a "value basis" & then plugging in your own variables. Not to suggest you can't get an answer. But if 'keeper', without your input... crystal ball as Garbage in, Garbage out.

Good luck & just my take!
Best!
John
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Price Check Please - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by EdM
I know nothing about newer M70's. LGS has a BACO marked stainless Featherweight 7mm-08 in mint condition with a 2.5-10 X 42 Nikon Monarch scope in Talley LW mounts. They are asking $1k for it. Thoughts?

A kind of top heavy combo. I bought the same exact scope for $125 at a gunshow and ran it on a BACO 300WSM. It was alright, but a little cumbersome out in the field: I eventually sold the scope and got rid of the rifle. Just didn't care for either one of them. So, just off the top of my head, the scope has no support from Nikon anymore, regardless of what some guys think, so what is that worth?: Probably $200? The rifle is probably worth $700 to someone like me, but may sell for upwards of $900 to someone else.. Check the bore really well. Some of the BACO's were copper foulers. Just a warning. You will likely get by with the factory bedding if you don't mind 1 1/2" groups. Those can be tightened up with a proper bedding job. Take that for what you think it's worth.. I'd have to add that it seems like you have good taste in rifles. If it caught your eye, then it is probably nice. It may even bring $1,000.00+ (rifle only) on places like gunbroker. If it's speaking to you, grab it man...
Posted By: EdM Re: Price Check Please - 11/29/22
Thanks BSA. It sounds like it is priced about right, not a deal, and I agree on the scope, BIG.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Price Check Please - 11/29/22
Yeah, it was made like a European scope. Huge ocular that was as big as the objective:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I checked the Winchester/BACO site and the MSRP on a stainless walnut featherweight was $1,249.00 this year (2022). It also appears that the 7mm-08 is one that was discontinued. We know that most times the MSRP is always higher than the retail selling price. Now, down the road that rifle may be worth more than MSRP because of its rarity. In your OP, you didn't say if it was in a wood stock or synthetic stock. The walnut stocked rifles tend to sell for more money, if kept in excellent condition. I've seen some BACO extreme weathers chambered in 7mm08 sell for less than a grand, and other more obsolete chambered rifles like the 325 WSM sell for $600.00 as recent as last year. I may not be the best person to answer your question, as I generally seem to find excellent deals on rifles and even pistols. Maybe someone else will chime in and say they have seen this particular rifle selling for more money? Also another thing to consider is ask the shop owner if he would sell it without the scope. Offer him $750 for just the rifle. You may end up walking away with a sweet rifle and great deal that way.. Good luck with it man and let us know if you snag it..
© 24hourcampfire