Home
http://www.champlinarms.com/Default...GunsDetails&GunID=3725&StyleID=2

Some eye candy.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Sweet rifle in a classic chambering. Damn nice.
How about that! Congrats
Santa came early.

Exquisite!
Mr. Goens was one of the 5 best known, top tier post war artisans in the U.S. along with Monte Kennedy, Tom Shelhamer, Al Biesen and Jerry Fisher. He was a premier stocker and one heck of a nice gentleman!!!
A beautiful rifle done right...enjoy!
Thanks Gents,

The Talleys will be removed and replaced with Leupold DD or SK mounts.
That beautiful rifle warrants class, my vote is go S&K mounts!!!
What a gorgeous rifle! Congratulations. Superlatives cannot do justice to a rifle like this.
Gorgeous! I'm very jealous. Congratulations!
George Caswell from Champlin has always been very easy to do business with.

Based on our having done business quite a bit in the past he is shipping Monday before my check even arrives.
Nice Model 70 there.1954 FN Apex rifle Co. Mauser stocked by Monte Kennedy. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
nyrifleman, what a beautiful piece of art.
Congrats! Thanks for sharing.
Dale's work was well know, and will be for a long time!
Nice Rifle. Enjoy it.

HS 58
Very nice rifle NY! Pre '64 action, Blackburn metal & custom stock. Add the 7mm chambering which is high on my personal appreciation list, and... great package. Yet, to be honest, the $6K price package seems bit extreme! Hope you bought the gun you wanted, not the story being sold!
Thanks for sharing a handsome rifle!
Best!
John
You done awesome NYR. That’s a great rifle. I hope it gets to see the sunshine and a hardwood ridge soon!
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I certainly don't think the price was "a bit extreme". Seems to me the market has spoken. I know at least two people that would have gladly paid the selling price. Goens rifles in perfect condition with great wood in desirable calibers have been selling in the mid $5's for at least 10 years. A lot of Goens rifles were put to use, finding one in perfect condition is very rare.

Beautiful gun.
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
Mr. Goens was one of the 5 best known, top tier post war artisans in the U.S. along with Monte Kennedy, Tom Shelhamer, Al Biesen and Jerry Fisher. He was a premier stocker and one heck of a nice gentleman!!!

Lenard Brownell didn’t make the cut?
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Or Morris Ottmar?

Good catch!
"Best known" and best are not necessarily the same thing...so we don't have to argue endlessly.
I received the email from them and thought it was a very nice rifle. Congrats.
That is a doozie, Congratulations.
Beautiful Rifle NY !

Enjoy!
Thanks all, should be to my FFL Thursday.
Beautiful rifle at a fair price. You did well in my opinion. The trigger guard bow doesn't look quite right for a Blackburn to my eye, but it may just be the camera angles.

You basically bought the stock and got rest for free at today's replacement prices.
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Or Morris Ottmar?
Technically, Shelhamer was prewar and post war. So yes, Brownell’s name should be here. As much as I love Ottmar’s body of work, he was not post war 1950’s & 60’s.
50s and 60s isn't post-war?

My goal before I retire is to own at least one rifle by each of the names listed in this thread, amongst several others.

Then hunt the hell out of them until I die.

My goal before I retire is to own at least one rifle by each of the names listed in this thread, amongst several others.

Now that's a solid goal in my book.
Originally Posted by beretzs

Now that's a solid goal in my book.

That's an awesome goal. I'd like to have at least 1 custom made by Biesen or the like before I die. ha ha..

My point is the gentlemen listed were practicing their art during that post war era! Ottmar came on scene in the 1970's fresh out of trade school, worked for Champlin and then opened his shop and plied his trade in his home state of Washington until his passing.
To me, it's a darned awesome rifle. I'd be happier than a pig in poop to have it headed to my FFL. I hope NYR uses the hell out of it and if by per chance, he gets tired of it, I hope I am within cell reception to talk it off of him. Looks like a wicked rifle. Can't wait to hear about him popping some caps off!
To me, it's a darned awesome rifle. I'd be happier than a pig in poop to have it headed to my FFL. I hope NYR uses the hell out of it and if by per chance, he gets tired of it, I hope I am within cell reception to talk it off of him. Looks like a wicked rifle. Can't wait to hear about him popping some caps off!

Should be sweet huh Scotty..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Heck yes it should. I’m a little jealous in a rifle guy sorta way.

Ha ha.. It's going to a great home. Hopefully he tells us how he likes it, when he gets it in hand and shoots it a bit.

Ha ha.. It's going to a great home. Hopefully he tells us how he likes it, when he gets it in hand and shoots it a bit.

I am going to have to go on a recon to put some eyes on it in person... grin
You are always welcome here Scotty

Bring the Mashburn!
That's a fine goal NY !

Looking forward to some pics.

Why switch out the Talleys?

Very nice rifle, BTW. Needs to be hunted. smile
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Talleys require me to lift my head slightly when shouldering the rifle for proper view through the scope.

Leupold DD align my eye much more readily

Talleys require me to lift my head slightly when shouldering the rifle for proper view through the scope.

You are too nice. I would have said they look like schidt and I hate messing with vertical split rings. ha ha.. I love DD's as well, but your rifle is a notch above a regular ol pre 64. You will probably think about using a set of S&K's or Conetrols, just to spruce it up a little more than the plain ol DD's..

You are too nice. I would have said they look like schidt and I hate messing with vertical split rings. ha ha..

Yes, they are a PITA, aren't they?

You are too nice. I would have said they look like schidt and I hate messing with vertical split rings. ha ha..

More than they need to be. Plus they stick up above the scope and snag on chidt. Most things are more aesthetically pleasing to my eye.

More than they need to be. Plus they stick up above the scope and snag on chidt. Most things are more aesthetically pleasing to my eye.

Now if we could just get Leupold to stop stamping their rings with that dreadful L
Wow, very nice! Congratulations. Be sure to let us know what load you settle on.
Mike, load development will begin with 140, 150 and 160 Partitions over H4350.

The rifle will decide.

Or one of our own, SDH Steven Dodd Hughes…

http://finegunmaking.com/page38/page22/page22.html

http://finegunmaking.com/page38/page23/page23.html
Beautiful rifle!
© 24hourcampfire