Home
Posted By: BKinSD Sights for a 1949 300H&H - 12/06/22
I own a pair of aces, both were owned by my late law partner and I bought them from his bride so never thought much about their provenance past that. They don't have a lot of warts but aren't perfect by any means either. In all the discussion of the 300H&H last week I got mine out and it dawned on me that the stock isn't original as its an MC on a 1949. When I bought it it had an M8 4x on it which I upgraded to a Leupold centennial 3X9x40 in gloss. And a slug in the rear dovetail and no sight in the hood on the front.

I'd like to put sights on it, correct ones. 22G for the rear, correct? But what do I put in the front?
Are you going to try to find a low comb stock for it too? Correct sights would have been 22g 3c for the rear or the Lyman 48 WJS. Front sight would have been the Winchester 103C. IF you are wanting to use your Leupold 3-9x40 or other modern scope, a flip up rear would be more beneficial. Something like a Marbles 69 or Lyman 16B, since it has a Montecarlo stock on it now. They were using the Marbles in 1952 with the montecarlo stock, then later switched to the 16B around 1955.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Sights for a 1949 300H&H - 12/06/22
I suppose I could look for a low comb stock. That makes some sense. I'm also thinking...feels like my best play might be to leave the MC on it, and put a marbles in the slot and a sight up front, rather than a big long 22g which would interfere with my scope mount. It would look better but still not quite correct. Its been ok as is for 15 years but still...since the roll mark ".300 MAGNUM" is there, feels like it deserves better than empty slots.
Yup that mark is cool. Have a bunch of ammo/brass marked 300 Magnum.
Befuddles the Utes.
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I suppose I could look for a low comb stock. That makes some sense. I'm also thinking...feels like my best play might be to leave the MC on it, and put a marbles in the slot and a sight up front, rather than a big long 22g which would interfere with my scope mount. It would look better but still not quite correct. Its been ok as is for 15 years but still...since the roll mark ".300 MAGNUM" is there, feels like it deserves better than empty slots.

I agree. Sounds like a cool rifle. I've actually taken 22g's off and sold them and replaced the rear with a flip up for scope use. Sold the 22G for over $120 and paid $25 for the 16B. Win win as far as I was concerned. The rifles didn't know any difference. Here's my old 300H&H rechamberd to 300WBY:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Sights for a 1949 300H&H - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by ElkHtrNevada
Yup that mark is cool. Have a bunch of ammo/brass marked 300 Magnum.
Befuddles the Utes.

Makes me smile to tell people who ask about it...
© 24hourcampfire