Home
Good morning folks. I have a Winchester model 70 classic stainless all terrain in 7 mag. Very pretty rifle in very good condition. It has the synthetic featherweight stock. Very low round count, very few blemishes. I think they were produced 1996-98. I’ll check the serial number tonight. I’m trying to come up with a value. Something caught my eye and I am likely to move this as I will not hunt it. Any help is much appreciated!
They existed as five digits so likelihood is their actual introduction was late 94. Yours will be either a five or six digit. They also existed in the boss configuration. And you are correct, they were only ~ a three year run.

I like the all-terrain in the seven and 300 mag, because they came with a factory 24 inch barrel, rather than 26 which adorned the classic stainless.

Price will depend on condition, boss, and who is looking. We used to say that the boss negatively affected value, but anymore I’m not as sure. I have seen some rare configuration boss guns go for a premium. Just depends on who is looking for what. My .02; gun alone I would expect $900-$1000 ish would sell it on here, but you might be able to get a few hundred dollars more if you went the GunBroker route. It seems the classic stainless have enjoyed a little bit of a resurgence and have started to edge back up a bit in their prices from this past spring.
Thank you very much. Kinda what I was thinking as for value. Much appreciated.
If it’s got a 94 SN I might be interested
AKW, 1994 would be 75000-120000 correct?
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
AKW, 1994 would be 75000-120000 correct?
Those are Winchester70s numbers, and I’ve not found reason to quibble much with them.
AKW what would ser# 52xxx be?
Originally Posted by BLR358WIN
AKW what would ser# 52xxx be?
Should be ‘93 assuming a G.
Who manufactured the stock for these rifles?
It has a G, TY
I had one in 30-06. This has been a couple of years ago but around $700 was considered a fair price for one sitting on a gun shop shelf at that time. It took a while for me to get $600 for it. IIRC mine was made in 1994.

But I'd be afraid to guess today. Prices for at least some guns have really gone up.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
They existed as five digits so likelihood is their actual introduction was late 94. Yours will be either a five or six digit. They also existed in the boss configuration. And you are correct, they were only ~ a three year run.

I like the all-terrain in the seven and 300 mag, because they came with a factory 24 inch barrel, rather than 26 which adorned the classic stainless.

Price will depend on condition, boss, and who is looking. We used to say that the boss negatively affected value, but anymore I’m not as sure. I have seen some rare configuration boss guns go for a premium. Just depends on who is looking for what. My .02; gun alone I would expect $900-$1000 ish would sell it on here, but you might be able to get a few hundred dollars more if you went the GunBroker route. It seems the classic stainless have enjoyed a little bit of a resurgence and have started to edge back up a bit in their prices from this past spring.

Great post AK. Some say they were introduced in '96 and produced through '98. They could be wrong though. I like your statement about the BOSS guns. I too remember when they detracted from value, but now I've seen some over $1,200.00. I guess it was just a matter of time before the collectors saw them as "collectible"??? Who knows. As for who made the stocks for these, was it Mcmillan? They are advertised as fiberglass/graphite and weigh 7 1/4 pounds. Seems a little high for a stock that sounds an awful lot like a Mcmillan edge.
The stocks were basic Winchester tupperware in the fw configuration; shade over 30 oz.
The stocks were basic Winchester tupperware in the fw configuration; shade over 30 oz.

Yeah, they looked like tupperware stocks. I'm wondering why I see them advertised as "fiberglass/graphite". That explains the weight. Although, 7 1/4 isn't too bad, my pre 64 300WBY and 338wm are both lighter in their PoundR stocks..
No clue on the “graphite”. They aren’t, I can assure you!

Nice rifles. There are a few on GB currently; the one in Maine is the only one realistically priced.
Thanks AK. That is good to know. I know someone in this thread asked who made the stock and no one answered him. I believe I saw one of these stocks on ebay a couple weeks ago, but the damn thing was $350+!!!!! Definitely not worth it IMHO..

This guy is on crack!!
Yes, saw that too bsa. Indeed!

I think cdnn closed them out years ago cheap. You see them come up not infrequently on parts guns.
300 wm listed today. See what it brings.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/968954423

Sweet rifle and no BOSS. I'll bet that one brings about $1,200.00.. What do you think?
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Sweet rifle and no BOSS. I'll bet that one brings about $1,200.00.. What do you think?
Not sure. I’ve been surprised by a few recently so I’m a little reluctant to speculate.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Not sure. I’ve been surprised by a few recently so I’m a little reluctant to speculate.

Oh geez, where's the fun in that? I'll keep an eye on it. I'm curious... Not that I want a 300wm, just curious.. I'm well covered when it comes to 300 magnums.. The only one I really need is just the right H&H.. It will eventually turn up.
Saw a real nice low 5 digit stainless classic in 300 win mag today at LGS in Anchorage today. They were pretty proud of it at $1499, seems like everything in there was $599 and up lol. Unfortunately we don’t get the deals up here like Lawrence gets down in a Nevada.
Originally Posted by 79S
Saw a real nice low 5 digit stainless classic in 300 win mag today at LGS in Anchorage today. They were pretty proud of it at $1499, seems like everything in there was $599 and up lol. Unfortunately we don’t get the deals up here like Lawrence gets down in a Nevada.

I don't see a lot of classic stainless model 70's here either. Did see a nice 300WM with a boss on it though. The other day when I was buying my Mauser 30-06. They brought the price down to $1,000.00. The last time I was there, they wanted $1,100.00.. They also had a rechambered 25-284 pre 64 model 70 std rifle. Nice rifle, but a shame they had it rechambered. They were wanting $850 for a package deal. Reloading supplies, ammo, die set and I can't remember what scope was on it. Glossy Leupold of some flavor..
Local shop here in the valley has a stainless classic with the boss in a 338 win mag. They wanted $1399 for it, so it looks like they are looking at gunbroker prices lol. At those prices those rifles aren’t selling anytime soon.
Originally Posted by 79S
Local shop here in the valley has a stainless classic with the boss in a 338 win mag. They wanted $1399 for it, so it looks like they are looking at gunbroker prices lol. At those prices those rifles aren’t selling anytime soon.

I agree buddy. A lot of shops everywhere look on gunbroker. I hear it all the time. It's the mom and pop shops that don't and pawnshops where you find the good deals. There is one pawnshop I go to that sells on gunbroker. They like to keep an inventory on hand for the general public though. They have 1 rifle I have told them twice now that they need to list on GB: It is a pre 64 model 70 that they have had for a year now. I've looked at it a few times, but it's been modified. A recoil pad was put on it probably 40 years ago, so it will need to be replaced. That brings the value down a lot. Plus it's been drilled and tapped on the rear bridge. It is a pre war model (made in '41). I think they want $1,100.00 for it. I've seen much better deals, even in Oregon. The last time I was at my clubs gunshow (about 6 months ago), one member there had a 1951 std wt rifle that was in decent shape, but was all original. He said he'd take $700 for it. I have too damn many 30-06 rifles, or I may have bought it. Plus it was not in primo condition, like how I normally buy my rifles. As for the deals I get now, I avoid some shops like the plague because they are ridiculous on prices. Mark Fore and Strike in Reno is such a place. Those guys are idiots. There are good shops and bad shops anywhere you go. It's like everywhere: you have to weed through the garbage to find the treasures.
Our local classifieds are the same way, you wouldn’t believe all the “2-3000” dollar Rem 760s people have around here. Not many model 70s floating around here it seems though.
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
Our local classifieds are the same way, you wouldn’t believe all the “2-3000” dollar Rem 760s people have around here. Not many model 70s floating around here it seems though.

PA. I believe it.. Something I should mention, that you guys probably already know: There are some pretty good deals here in the classifieds sometimes. Sometimes not, as well. But you know the ones that aren't good deals. Those rifles don't get sold and the seller here is like, they sell for that on GB...... Well list it on GB!!!! The best deal I have seen here a while back was the stainless pushfeed rifle with the Vari-x IIc 3-9X40 on it. That scope sells for $400-$450 on ebay right now. Check and see for yourself. There is one on there right now that is at $425.00 plus $20 for shipping. You know, the same scope I bought a few days ago, like this one:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I hate giving out some of my secrets, but damn...

I damned near bought that rifle, to turn around and sell the scope on ebay. That pushfeed stainless rifle is rare and worth some money too. You can't buy them all though. I save some good deals for some of you guys..

As for the OP's rifle: AK gave some great advice. If selling here, expect about $1,000.00 for it. If selling on GB, it could go a couple hundred more, but you never know about that place. Some guys may be in a drunken stooper when bidding and bid way over what you might think it would sell for. Personally, I like the 7mmRM better than the 300WM, so I'd pay a little more for the right rifle. Still not sure if the OP ever said if it is a BOSS rifle or not. That used to have a negative impact on rifle value, but as of late, some guys don't care as much. They used to be kind of hideous to me, but I have a nice 7mm RM with one and it is a sweet rifle. Good luck to the OP, whichever direction he chooses to go with it..
Sorry guys, lost track of this thread. No boss.
The Maine gun I mentioned went for just over 1k.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/967556431
© 24hourcampfire